2020 Giant Reign 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017

2020 Giant Reign 29er

https://reviews.mtbr.com/giant-reign...weight-details

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/f...ed-pro-29er-0/

This bike looks amazing. 65 deg HTA, 76.8 deg STA, 160mm Front, 146mm Rear travel.

What do people think?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I think it ticks a lot of boxes for a great riding bike but..... the colour.... it's a hard pass from me solely on that frame colour.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yeah the reviews say there's an issue with the brake disc rubbing on climbs. Giant apparently are trying to get it sorted. That might be a deal breaker for me

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I was actually about to put a deposit down for the new Santa Cruz Hightower, but now I think I might wait until I can ride a new Reign first.

The reviewers whining about brake rubbing make me nervous, but... my first full suspension bike was Reign and that bike was seriously good. Seeing them finally put together a decent redesign is making me feel all nostalgic for my old Reign..

The Advanced Pro 1 build looks like a good value (way better than the build on the $5k Santa Cruz I'm considering). And you can't complain about all black.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    I think Giant nailed it with this one, finally. I've had two old 26 Reigns and always think about building another one. Every number on this one really hits the mark for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been waiting on this bike for quite some time. My first bike back in 03 was a Gaint VT1. I took parts from that bike and built an 05 Reign. Rode that bike all over the west for 10 years till the wheels fell off.

My son has a 18 Trance 27.5 which is an amazing bike. Im hoping the new Reign is that bike with big wheels.

Hopefully it was worth the wait for the last 2 years for this bike to come out.

Kinda of shocked there has been very little fan fair with the roll out compared when they released the Trance 29.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    I think it ticks a lot of boxes for a great riding bike but..... the colour.... it's a hard pass from me solely on that frame colour.
    Funny that you say that. I thought the same thing until I saw the bike in person. Absolutely stunning
    Ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a pro 1 coming on the first shipment in October, coming from an Evil Wreckoning and SC HT LT Iím excited to see how this turns out.

I live to bike
    I'm planning on picking up a reign 29, not the advanced 0, though! It's probably more bike than I need, but looks like so much fun. I had an '05 Reign when it first came out. Loved that bike and am looking forward to riding a Maestro suspension again.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jollyjared View Post
    I was actually about to put a deposit down for the new Santa Cruz Hightower, but now I think I might wait until I can ride a new Reign first.

The reviewers whining about brake rubbing make me nervous, but... my first full suspension bike was Reign and that bike was seriously good. Seeing them finally put together a decent redesign is making me feel all nostalgic for my old Reign..

The Advanced Pro 1 build looks like a good value (way better than the build on the $5k Santa Cruz I'm considering). And you can't complain about all black.
    I really wanted a hightower too but man the price and specs are way better on the Giant. Geo looks good on both bikes, both probably will descend really well and I bet with Giants stolen DW link they should both pedal decent too

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooken View Post
    I really wanted a hightower too but man the price and specs are way better on the Giant. Geo looks good on both bikes, both probably will descend really well and I bet with Giants stolen DW link they should both pedal decent too
    Proof that they stole it? Or are you just repeating what you heard or read?
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    Proof that they stole it? Or are you just repeating what you heard or read?
    I was mostly just kidding, but I hope it is very similar. DW works great

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooken View Post
    I was mostly just kidding, but I hope it is very similar. DW works great
    My apologies. I remember when all that BS was going down. But you're right. They are both amazing design. I don't own a Giant atm but have had 2 Maestro bikes and IMO ahead of all the designs. Probably still the best. I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower but if I'd of known about a 29er Reign I probably would have waited.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74 View Post
    My apologies. I remember when all that BS was going down. But you're right. They are both amazing design. I don't own a Giant atm but have had 2 Maestro bikes and IMO ahead of all the designs. Probably still the best. I bought a Santa Cruz Hightower but if I'd of known about a 29er Reign I probably would have waited.
    No worries, I shouldn't attempt sarcasm online haha. How do you like the hightower? I've narrowed it down to it and the reign for my next bike. But I was told to wait until the new norco sight is released too

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    will be looking forward to your reckoning/reign 29 comparison!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was so stoked for the new Reign 29 as well. I too had the original 05 Reign and loved it.
    I was gonna pick up the AL Reign for a second big bike .

But then Ibis dropped the Ripmo AF. 3k for full DVO suspension

Just got back from Moab and my buddy had one. It rocked

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    anyone know frame weights? carbon vs aluminum?

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    If I can remember to take my scale, I can weigh in my large carbon frame when I get to work tomorrow
    Get Out! Have Fun!

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Large carbon frame with shock and rear thru axle is 6.8 lbs
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Jwiffle, according to some measurements of M frame online, it looks like the virtual top tube is slightly shorter than specified and an effective seat angle is steeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy87ycRWow

https://forums.mtbr.com/giant/reign-...l#post14358571

I am not sure how far are you with your build, but could you measure the effective top tube on L frame, to se how it correlates to the slightly shorter measurement on M frame?

Tnx

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have been waiting a long time for this bike. But sizing is so way off. Not sure why such a huge difference between reach of M and L.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I have been waiting a long time for this bike. But sizing is so way off. Not sure why such a huge difference between reach of M and L.
    I was also on the fence regarding the sizing, but still bought reign 29 alu 1 in L on Friday. It is in no way to big for me. Pedaling position is much more comfortable than on L trance 27.5. And while descending, I feel much more stable on the bike, because spread between feet and hands is bigger. (183cm, 88cm inseam). I fellt like an inverted pendulum on the trance.

I don't feel like I am on the lower and on the sizing chart, so even if you are few centimeters smaller than me, I think you should try it!

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by s-master View Post
    Jwiffle, according to some measurements of M frame online, it looks like the virtual top tube is slightly shorter than specified and an effective seat angle is steeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy87ycRWow

https://forums.mtbr.com/giant/reign-...l#post14358571

I am not sure how far are you with your build, but could you measure the effective top tube on L frame, to se how it correlates to the slightly shorter measurement on M frame?

Tnx
    Should have it done in the next day or two. I'll measure and get back.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Hey, I bought size L on Friday and found, that TT length is around 630mm. In the geometry charts it is 640. But I did not measure reach yet, because the measurement is a bit more involved, if you want it to be accurate.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    Should have it done in the next day or two. I'll measure and get back.
    By my crude measuring, I get around 640 (maybe it's like 635? I'm terrible with a ruler).

At any rate, it's close enough for me to think Giant measured accurately, so it probably is 640.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

I live to bike
    Got my Reign all built up. Will get an actual ride on it Saturday (maybe tomorrow night if I'm lucky). I'll do a separate thread with full build details.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Looks sweet - love to hear some thoughts on it! I've been eyeing up the Reign as a possible next bike. I've never really liked Giant's stuff before, but they look to have done a really good job with this one.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix864 View Post
    Looks sweet - love to hear some thoughts on it! I've been eyeing up the Reign as a possible next bike. I've never really liked Giant's stuff before, but they look to have done a really good job with this one.
    I'll give a ride report after the weekend in the thread I started in the Giant forum. But if it rides half as good as it looks, it'll be killer!
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I put an order in for 20 Reign 29 aluminum.

I am 6ft1 with long arms and torso. I tried a Rocky Instinct BC Ed in XL and I found it to stretched out while seated. The top tube was 657mm.

The reign L with a top tube of 640 would be the better bet over the XL, correct?

Anyone with roughly my height and longer arms try the Reign?

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic_rogue View Post
    I put an order in for 20 Reign 29 aluminum.

I am 6ft1 with long arms and torso. I tried a Rocky Instinct BC Ed in XL and I found it to stretched out while seated. The top tube was 657mm.

The reign L with a top tube of 640 would be the better bet over the XL, correct?

Anyone with roughly my height and longer arms try the Reign?
    I'm about the same. Just under 6'1". Large is good for me.
    Get Out! Have Fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle View Post
    I'm about the same. Just under 6'1". Large is good for me.
    Perfect! Thanks!