2020 Fuel EX vs. Hightower- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

2020 Fuel EX vs. Hightower

Considering these. Have ridden the previous incarnation of each, but not the latest.

If you have ridden (or owned) both, impressions of them in comparison would be great. Both are plenty capable for my riding, and both should be pretty strong climbers for their segment.

I'm aware of their specs/geometry, so mainly would like to have a more general sense of their character and fun factor in the real world. I'm in Northern California, and ride a variety of terrain, some flowy XC-type stuff, plenty of rock gardens, both technical single track and fire roads for climbs. Nothing too crazy, but a fairly wide assortment of trails.

The new Tallboy would work well here, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    If you are in Norcal it should doable to demo both bikes---or are you in some remote spot?
    I doubt anyone has ridden the trek yet--lots of chatter but no ride reports on these forums. You may want to give us some actual trail names and locations you ride as your description is helpful for evaluation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    You may want to give us some actual trail names and locations you ride as your description is helpful for evaluation.
    The vast majority of my riding is at Annadel State Park in Santa Rosa. We ride pretty much the whole park: Cobblestone, N. Burma, S. Burma, Marsh, Lawndale, Live Oak, Rough Go, and occasionally Dark Side (don't tell anyone!). Occasional rides down in Marin, and plan to take some trips soon to Santa Cruz and Downieville. And, I think we're going to Moab in early Spring, and up to Bend next year.

I'm 59 years old, but in decent shape. Crashing hurts more as I get older, so I'm starting to dial the speed back a little. Want a bike that's reasonably capable, but that doesn't need to be pinned to enjoy it, something fun and playful at a bit less than balls out.

Hoping to demo them, but neither Bike Peddler or the Trek Store have them available to try at the moment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Super info-----Hopefully soon the Fuel is actually out and we get some input---I also am interested---I have eliminated the SC myself due to the ETT just not working for me (same as the ripley)----and it is pretty slack for me---
    I suspect these 2 bikes are both great and it comes down to individual preference--same as for say the 120 MM class---Pivot 429/ripley/trance/tb4---all good bikes. Note from your description of how you ride a 120MM bike may be a better choice
    From history the SC probably is a firmer climber with the Fuel being more active----and the Fuel probably more nimble from the geo-----but we need to rid the Fuel---hopefully soon.

I am also hoping to see XT 12 speed kits in the next few months