2020 29ers, what can we look forward to?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2020 29ers, what can we look forward to?

What has everyone heard for rumors for 2020 model year bikes that are either ground up new or redesigned?

What we have seen so far:
    GT Force
    Giant Reign
    Specialized Epic HT
    Kona Process 134

What’s coming soon:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4(excited to see what this brings!)
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Specialized Enduro
    Kona Hei Hei

What have others heard rumors of?

This place needs an enema
    Hot new colorways, plus bottom bracket heights in the single digits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    A bike that has 29" wheels. Some will be hard tails. Some will be full suspension.

I seriously doubt there is anything new exciting or innovative for bikes in 2020 nor will there be for many years after that.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    When did 'colorways' come into common use? I don't recall hearing/reading it before a year or two ago and now it's all over the place.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Ride More - Suffer Less
    I think suspension manufacturers should offer a adjustable offset fork that can be tweaked with a single tool or built in tool.

As far a frames they will just move the numbers around, little more here little less there...

Little stiffer here more compliant there...
    bushings here bearing there...
    steeper kinematic curves here linear there...
    cables in, cables out, cable in a slot, cables without.

Larger OEM negative air chambers...

So on and so on and so on...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Damn, you beat me to it!
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    New lower link SC Hightower was released a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Awesome pop, amazing performance, revolutionary new design that makes everything before it obsolete! New geo - shorter, steeper and higher bottom bracket to fix those pedal strikes and 13 speed drive train Bluetooth/WiFi wireless cable less AI enhanced because 12 speed Electronic is so outdated.

Better get your order in now so you can get some riding in before it becomes obsolete next year.

Seriously though, all sporting equipment has relied heavily on marketing to generate sales and there is a lot of hype in all sports. On the positive side equipment has evolved to state of the art and the stuff we ride now really is pretty friggin awesome. The other advantage of marketing hype is some enthusiasts will always upgrade and create the used market for “last years “ technology that is bargain price for the savvy shoppers. No complaints here 😉👍🤙

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    What’s a colorway?

mtbr member
    I'm sure we can count on new buzzwords.

Reach and seat angle are hot topics now...It only makes sense that hypotenuse will be the next hot word the cool kids are using.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    What has everyone heard for rumors for 2020 model year bikes that are either ground up new or redesigned?

GT Force
    Giant Reign
    Specialized Epic HT
    Kona Process 134

I think you can get the Epic HT for $92,000.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    What’s a colorway?

It's 110% rad and -- really -- the only thing that matters.

Ariolimax columbianus
    more money to spend, more mansplainin on da intanets, more toxic middle age man behavior tryin to overanalyze bikes.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    A bike that has 29" wheels. Some will be hard tails. Some will be full suspension.

I seriously doubt there is anything new exciting or innovative for bikes in 2020 nor will there be for many years after that.
    Yawn, you clearly don't follow industry news. Lots of weird new technologies and designs continue to be tested by new small manufacturers. Will they all be winners and stand the test of time? No.

This has existed since the bicycle was invented, and will continue as long as it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I think suspension manufacturers should offer a adjustable offset fork that can be tweaked with a single tool or built in tool.
    This is an interesting idea I've not heard mentioned before. It would be fun to be able to adjust it but with all the variety of forks available it's not that hard now, just costs some more money.

As far a frames they will just move the numbers around, little more here little less there...

Little stiffer here more compliant there...
    bushings here bearing there...
    steeper kinematic curves here linear there...
    cables in, cables out, cable in a slot, cables without.

Larger OEM negative air chambers...

So on and so on and so on...
    If you don't think geometry is changing (for the better), you haven't ridden a variety of modern bikes. I hear this a lot from old curmudgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

Reach and seat angle are hot topics now...It only makes sense that hypotenuse will be the next hot word the cool kids are using.
    Really? More? I don't want to replace "playful" or "poppy", without those how will I know how a bike handles?

Quote Originally Posted by nativeson View Post
    more money to spend, more mansplainin on da intanets, more toxic middle age man behavior tryin to overanalyze bikes.
    Yikes, that's a lot of negative man stuff. Why is overanalyzing toxic? It's a hobby. For some it's fun to discuss with others, share experiences and knowledge, and stoke. Why is that a bad thing?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    This is an interesting idea I've not heard mentioned before. It would be fun to be able to adjust it but with all the variety of forks available it's not that hard now, just costs some more money.
    I'm all for wrenching and spending money on bikes but swapping forks out is not really the concept. We are talking flip chip design for quick different setup choices ala buzz works. Google Morc40

If you don't think geometry is changing (for the better), you haven't ridden a variety of modern bikes. I hear this a lot from old curmudgeons.
    Oh I have and love it. Own/Owned Sultan,Following,RipMo,Stumpy, META TR29. Didn't mean to sound negative, Ill talk geo, tweaks and setup ALL DAY LONG.

We all have our own style and capability much of which is dictated by our terrain of choice and local. That said, different strokes for different folks, just find the company that can provide your stroke.

Colorways is an arrangement usually 2 or more....orange/gray, purple/yellow.... ORBEA got a nice program going. Personally I like gray-scale, flat black preferred. Ill take raw AL as well or unpainted carbon lay-up thank you

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It only makes sense that hypotenuse will be the next hot word the cool kids are using.
    Bring it!!!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yawn, you clearly don't follow industry news. Lots of weird new technologies and designs continue to be tested by new small manufacturers. Will they all be winners and stand the test of time? No.

This has existed since the bicycle was invented, and will continue as long as it exists.
    Oh I follow. But nothing earth shattering for 2020 or the near future I would assume.

We already have disc brakes, electronic shifting and dropper posts (wired and wireless), a big of selection shocks and suspension forks, Geometry designed around the type of trails that a person rides etc.

My best guess is someone might try and push wireless brake system. Personally I would stay away from electronic stuff on MTB. Don't want to rely on batteries or having to charge them.

The only innovative thing that I have seen lately in the bike industry is Spot's Living Link suspension design.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh I follow. But nothing earth shattering for 2020 or the near future I would assume.

We already have disc brakes, electronic shifting and dropper posts (wired and wireless), a big of selection shocks and suspension forks, Geometry designed around the type of trails that a person rides etc.

My best guess is someone might try and push wireless brake system. Personally I would stay away from electronic stuff on MTB. Don't want to rely on batteries or having to charge them.

The only innovative thing that I have seen lately in the bike industry is Spot's Living Link suspension design.
    Have any of the developments year by year actually been earth shattering?

In my mind, earth shattering is something like the Trust fork, before that maybe the Lauf, but the ideas are old, it's just the presentation and function that made them better.

Longer and better droppers that don't cost as much as a fork (OneUp)

Carbon frames that are durable, locally made, and have good customer service (Guerrilla Gravity).

In terms of frame design and geometry, it's all just micro changes, nothing ground breaking. Same could be said for suspension design, pretty much tweaking stuff that already works.

The ability to change the headset position to increase/decrease ETT is pretty cool (Guerilla Gravity and some other company??)

I can't say the electronic components is all that, most folks won't spend more for a product that does the same thing, weighs the same, is more fragile, and can't be mcgyvered sans power.

Ebikes, if you're into that sort of thing, are evolving, getting lighter and more mainstream.

So yeah, biggest new thing for 2020: Colorways
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member

I have been pushing Effective Downtube for a long time. Seriously. Hypotenuse of the reach and stack. Tells you a lot about the size of a bike. Look at the geo on several bikes of the same nominal size from different brands and the EDT varies a LOT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    What’s a colorway?
    I just copied and pasted "colorways" into my favorite search engine, and got an instant result. I didn't even have to wait for a response, and in fact this smart-ass response took longer than Googling for a result.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Typical example of what we can expect...

Climbs quicklier!
    Mobs down fasterer with utter calm!
    Radically new beast!
    More travel!
    Betterer geometry!!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/en...eid=3330b69357

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Climbs quicklier!
    Radically new beast!
    More travel!
    Betterer geometry!!

No big fan of the Big, Bad S here, but this statement from the marketing copy impressed me:

"We didn’t set out to make the stiffest bike possible—that bike would be a tooth-rattling nightmare."
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Climbs quicklier!
    Radically new beast!
    More travel!
    Betterer geometry!!

Also from that link:

"Less hang-up"

"...fast in a library"

"...shitty"

Ok, so those last 2 entries I took out of context a little bit, but those words are actually in the catalog posting.
    Last edited by A. Rider; 08-13-2019 at 09:23 PM.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have been pushing Effective Downtube for a long time. Seriously. Hypotenuse of the reach and stack. Tells you a lot about the size of a bike. Look at the geo on several bikes of the same nominal size from different brands and the EDT varies a LOT.
    That's the same thing that Lee McCormack calls RAD (rider area distance) in his books and classes.

https://www.leelikesbikes.com/rad-bike-setup.html

mtbr member
    I think we will see Fox and Rockshox release a coil 36 and Lyric with tech nearly identical to the Vorsprung Smashpot and Push ACS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    2021 (2020's are out already and so yesterday) you know there will be a new hub standard - super boost or whatevs. You can count on a new front axle standard too (hey, let's all go back to 20mm!), just to make sure your wheelset is obsolete... SMH.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    That's the same thing that Lee McCormack calls RAD (rider area distance) in his books and classes.

https://www.leelikesbikes.com/rad-bike-setup.html
    Actually, RAD is the distance from the BB to the grips. It takes into account stem/ spacer stack height, head tube angle, stem reach and angle, and handlebar sweep angles. Very difficult to determine on paper, but once you have an idea of what works for you, you can duplicate it on different bikes.

EDT is from the BB to the center-top of the head tube. I've spent a lot of time with Lee's work, and I think the theory is spot-on: optimal bike fitting needs to take into account where your feet are relative to your hands.

If you know the EDT, you can extrapolate pretty easily how a bike will fit with a standard flat bar and conventional 40-60mm stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    )you know there will be a new hub standard - super boost or whatevs.
    Superboost is already over a year old. 157x12. Catch up man!

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/h...s-super-boost/

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    New fork offsets is the next change I see taking place. Cannondale already does this and specialized is joining the gang. If you get a new specialized frame you will want new fork stanchions or a new fork.

Here, diagonally!
    Superboost is already over a year old. 157x12. Catch up man!

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/h...s-super-boost/
    Agree! This new marketing term for an old standard is now over 2 years old!
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

orthonormal
    Actually, RAD is the distance from the BB to the grips. It takes into account stem/ spacer stack height, head tube angle, stem reach and angle, and handlebar sweep angles. Very difficult to determine on paper, but once you have an idea of what works for you, you can duplicate it on different bikes.

EDT is from the BB to the center-top of the head tube. I've spent a lot of time with Lee's work, and I think the theory is spot-on: optimal bike fitting needs to take into account where your feet are relative to your hands.

If you know the EDT, you can extrapolate pretty easily how a bike will fit with a standard flat bar and conventional 40-60mm stem.
    Got it, thanks. I took a class with Lee last month and thought it was great. It was supposed to be 10am-4pm and we were on our bikes until 7:30. I like the idea but sizing a bike by matching RAD to your feet to hands distance makes for a pretty compact seated position on a bike with a 76+ degree STA. I'm about 20mm too long according to his approach on my newest bike but I'm more comfortable riding this bike in technical terrain than any i've owned before.

mtbr member

Climbs quicklier!
    Radically new beast!
    More travel!
    Betterer geometry!!

I'M IN!
    You had me at "quicklier" and then "fasterer with utter" and "Bettererest geometry" sealed the deal..
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Agree! This new marketing term for an old standard is now over 2 years old!
    Hardly the standard... like what, 3 companies use it??? I think more and more will use it tho to get their CS's shorter and increase tire clearance which WILL be the next thing, especially for 29'rs. Same for the 20mm front axle which actually WAS the industry standard but you may be too young to remember that?

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hardly the standard... like what, 3 companies use it??? I think more and more will use it tho to get their CS's shorter which WILL be the next thing.
    My 2017 Canfield Riot has 414 mm chainstays and uses a puny 142 mm hub.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Hardly the standard... like what, 3 companies use it??? I think more and more will use it tho to get their CS's shorter which WILL be the next thing.
    As of almost 2 years ago there were already many hub manufacturers making Super Boost hubs which means it was considered a relevant standard by hub manufacturers probably 2 years before that.

See post #3. https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...s-1058247.html

Nothing new here.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Rider View Post
    My 2017 Canfield Riot has 414 mm chainstays and uses a puny 142 mm hub.
    Yup, that's because Chris designed a superior suspension system that doesn't need a wide hub for clearance issues. I'm hopeful that they start up again soon with an updated carbon version.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2021 (2020's are out already and so yesterday) you know there will be a new hub standard - super boost or whatevs. You can count on a new front axle standard too (hey, let's all go back to 20mm!), just to make sure your wheelset is obsolete... SMH.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Yes, 20mm should be the standard... Miss my Quasimoto with SuperT!

Just not another e-bike, please! Imagine an eRipmo or eRipley!

mtbr member
    Didn't you hear? 29ers are dead and the 26'' wheel is the hot new ticket. The smaller wheel is light, shorter chain stays, and lower BB for better handling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And I was just about I get rid of my 26er gaining dust that I have been holding onto for nostalgia

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I am curious what the future of mountain bikes in general looks like, besides the possibility of mixed wheel bikes taking off (they might be just a fad...again) its hard to imagine mountain bikes progressing with new innovations. I was happy with my 11 speed shimano drivetrain and think the 12 speed system is great but a little overkill, so 13 speed seems out of the question. Bikes are already long and slack enough and I can't imagine them getting much longer or slacker. Plus tires were going to be the next big thing but then everybody went down to 2.6 or below, so tires aren't getting bigger anymore. Axle spacing seems to have somewhat stabilized (I think). I have no doubt that new minor changes will appear every year that will probably make bikes a tiny bit better but its hard to imagine any huge innovation in the immediate future that will have people trading in 2020 bikes for any real big change except for 29er front/ 27.5 rear bikes.

I think one day I might go for the mullet combo on my bike to try out of curiosity, but we shall see.

Here, diagonally!
    Hardly the standard... like what, 3 companies use it??? I think more and more will use it tho to get their CS's shorter and increase tire clearance which WILL be the next thing, especially for 29'rs. Same for the 20mm front axle which actually WAS the industry standard but you may be too young to remember that?

Have FUN!

G MAN

157 rear hubs appear to have arrived in 2011. That was a new standard. Granted it was just a 150 plus 3.5mm on each side for a receiver groove in the frame, but you can’t just throw a 157 wheel in a 150 bike or vice-versa, although it usually just amounts to an end-cap swap on the hub.

Superboost is just a marketing term and not a new standard at all IMO. Pivot tried to pretend that they did something new and different by “creating” an asymmetrical wide-spaced 157 rear hub. But those already existed. I suspect they existed back to 2011, but I don’t have data for spacing going that far back. I do have a few data points though - in 2014 I had Stan’s build a 150 wheel for my 2013 Banshee Prime 29er. Specs for that Stan’s 150 / 157 hub below. The specs for the other hubs were from internet research done in early 2015 when I was preparing to do another wheel build:

Brand...………………..DS to Ctr.....NDS to Ctr....Overall Width
    Stans 330HD...…….....28.0...………….35.0...…………. 63.0
    Chris King...…………....28.5...………....39.6...………….68.1
    True Precision Stealth..28.8...…….….42.7...………….71.5
    Onyx...……………………...27.3...………….38.4...………….65.7
    Hadley...…………………...27.8...………….32.2...………….60.0
    Hope...……………………...26.5...………….26.5...…………. 53.0

I don’t have any specifications on hubs that have been decreed “Superboost”, but they can’t be more than a few mm wider than previously available hubs (if any at all). If that makes a new standard, then we have many different standards for rear hubs.

I do understand that if you have a nice set of 142 or Boost wheels, the move toward using 157 wheels on trail bikes could hit your wallet like a new standard.

I’m not too young to young to remember 20mm front axles by any stretch, but never had the pleasure. I went directly from Craigslist q/r 26ers to 15mm 29ers. Would have gone 20 if given the option. I expect we will see the return of 20mm in the next few years.
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

mtbr member
    Of course Superboost has been around. MY POINT WAS that it is not THE current standard (Boost 148 obviously IS with about 95% market share of 2019 bikes) and I also said "or whatevs" meaning SOME OTHER FREAKIN SIZE THAT IS NOT CURRENTLY THE STANDARD! Jeezus why is this something you all have beat to death? I would have thought you would have harped on the 20mm fork thing since not only was that around YEARS AGO but it WAS "THE" standard!

If you want something to put in your pipe... try this on for size: Most non-XC bikes will come with coil shocks within 5 years. Maybe not next year but within 5 and that will correlate with the advent of composite coils keeping weights in line with existing piggyback air shocks. Count on it.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Keep an eye out for Deviate's new bike.

Is gon' be goood...

mtbr member
    Of course Superboost has been around. MY POINT WAS that it is not THE current standard (Boost 148 obviously IS with about 95% market share of 2019 bikes) and I also said "or whatevs" meaning SOME OTHER FREAKIN SIZE THAT IS NOT CURRENTLY THE STANDARD! Jeezus why is this something you all have beat to death? I would have thought you would have harped on the 20mm fork thing since not only was that around YEARS AGO but it WAS "THE" standard!

If you want something to put in your pipe... try this on for size: Most non-XC bikes will come with coil shocks within 5 years. Maybe not next year but within 5 and that will correlate with the advent of composite coils keeping weights in line with existing piggyback air shocks. Count on it.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I hope you are right.
    Air will never perform as good as coil, the maintenance is a nightmare (short maintenance intervals, leaking...), inconsistent feel, constant worry about the right air pressure, is it leaking yet?
    I really like the new Santa Cruz TB4, but why on Earth did they have to limit the customers choice of suspension? The tunnel is so narrow that a coil is a no go and even some bigger air shocks won't fit.
    I will always pick a coil shock over an air. Short travel or long travel bike. The weight difference is totally worth the positive gain the coil brings.
    The only problem I can see would be with distributors. Due to differences in riders weight it could get complicated with supplying the correct spring weight. Which also means higher cost. It's just much easier with air shock - add/release some air and sell the bike right away. However it has never worked for me anyway. I am at the end of weight spectrum, I have always needed to have my air shocks custom tuned.

Here, diagonally!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Just a thought, it might be best to calm down and gather your thoughts before posting.

You feel I should "harp" on 20mm axles. Sorry to disappoint you, but 157 rears, 20mm axles, and coil suspension are all good things in my book. I'm not aware of any false marketing claims regarding 20mm axles, and certainly don't have anything against them. I would have preferred the industry had just stayed with 20mm and skipped 15mm. Hope that helps a little bit.

Have fun?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yup, that's because Chris designed a superior suspension system that doesn't need a wide hub for clearance issues. I'm hopeful that they start up again soon with an updated carbon version.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Still holding my breath, everything I've demoed is lighter but doesn't ride as well as my riot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I'm guessing a few more mfr's that said 69 degrees is too slack for an XC bike will be making XC bikes slacker than that. ;-)

Ariolimax columbianus
    Yikes, that's a lot of negative man stuff. Why is overanalyzing toxic? It's a hobby. For some it's fun to discuss with others, share experiences and knowledge, and stoke. Why is that a bad thing?
    the posturing, male dominating comments are examples of colonialist mentality and get tiring. i've been on this site since the early 2000's and it's gotten pretty negative.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wfl3 View Post
    I'm guessing a few more mfr's that said 69 degrees is too slack for an XC bike will be making XC bikes slacker than that. ;-)
    New 2020 Four-stroke is 67.5°!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    New 2020 Four-stroke is 67.5°!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    The new 4S is sweet, but the range on the integrated dropper puts me on a medium and the TT is a lot shorter than I like on that size.

mtbr member
    Just a thought, it might be best to calm down and gather your thoughts before posting.
    Nah, I am always calm; just prefer to post at night after a bourbon or two and have fun with those trying to "poke the bear".

You feel I should "harp" on 20mm axles. Sorry to disappoint you, but 157 rears, 20mm axles, and coil suspension are all good things in my book. I'm not aware of any false marketing claims regarding 20mm axles, and certainly don't have anything against them. I would have preferred the industry had just stayed with 20mm and skipped 15mm. Hope that helps a little bit.
    Agreed tho I'm not 100% sold on 157; having plenty of time on 150 (the old DH standard) I'm thinking that's probably a good compromise (and yes, another old standard).

Have fun?
    Always!

G

Wanna ride bikes?
    the posturing, male dominating comments are examples of colonialist mentality and get tiring. i've been on this site since the early 2000's and it's gotten pretty negative.
    And what terms would you apply to your own negative comments?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Tastes great, less filling.

Here, diagonally!
    Nah, I am always calm; just prefer to post at night after a bourbon or two and have fun with those trying to "poke the bear".
    LOL, you got me! The Superboost moniker is a pet peeve of mine. I feel I have vented sufficiently for the time being. I am now more concerned about being labeled a colonialist...which I swear I am not.

Sociologists, move along, nothing to see here...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ripmo AF and hopefully more alu bikes from high end makers. Mine should be here today! They can easily keep the weights reasonable and get prices back down a bit.
    2020 Ripmo AF

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My bets
    - new pedals for 4 inches heels, great for the princesses that buy the 16,000$ Personalized bikes.
    - for 2021, Progressive carbon

I heard Devinci has news.

157 rears, 20mm axles, and coil suspension are all good things

Yep -- at least as good now as they were 12 years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Agreed, it's way more negative than it used to be, seems to be the case on a lot of forums, perhaps it's society or maybe "we" just get jaded when what was once new get old?

I once heard a talk, it was 2015, by a CEO for a medical group, he suggested that we are in an age of "outrage". I didn't see it then, but I see it now.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post

GT Force
    Giant Reign
    Specialized Epic HT
    Kona Process 134

What’s coming soon:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy 4(excited to see what this brings!)
    Rocky Mountain Slayer
    Specialized Enduro
    Kona Hei Hei

You can look forward to increased prices, crappier parts, and a longer lead time on bikes.

I am going custom...sick of the crap!! No cut corners or overengineered tech.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think 2020 is the return of high quality, high value aluminum frame bikes.

When I look at something like the aluminum Orbea Occam. At $3500USD, I cannot help that only reason to spend more is because you have more.

https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles.../cat/occam-h10

If they can hit that value then so can everyone else.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post

When I look at something like the aluminum Orbea Occam. At $3500USD, I cannot help that only reason to spend more is because you have more.

I might be wrong but i think you mean a recreational rider is well enough equipped within that budget and i agree with that. I just saw a 2019 at 30% and an other at 35% discount and that would be my maximum budget(2,400$US).
    On the other side i think over the last 3-5 years it has been proven by many happy customers like me that a *no sticker* is a good buy. 3 years ago i bought a used black bike about a year old for 1,000$US and it is just a great 2 wheels quality fun package.
    Happy shopping.
    Last edited by 33red; 3 Weeks Ago at 07:16 AM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    I might be wrong but i think you mean a recreational rider is well enough equipped within that budget and i agree with that
    Actually, I would go beyond a recreation rider. The gains in performance and reliability that you get from a more expensive bike are really, really small.

At that price you can buy a bike that is far superior to the bikes that won world cup XC races five years ago.

I am blown away by just how good the "affordable" bikes are now.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    There are some really nice $1,500 HTs nowadays. You still have to pay a fair amount for a good full squish though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Who isn't a recreational rider?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    "Custom" in what sense? If you're talking about building a bike piece by piece, be aware that you will spend more and get less. The best buy is to get a complete unless you already have all the parts for a build.

I very rarely buy a complete, but I know that it costs me more to build my own, it's just something I'm willing to live with.

I'm not sure what "overengineering tech" means, but if you don't feel like a higher grade component is not necessary or worth the cost, then just choose differently.

Most folks wouldn't notice the difference between XT and XTR, but their accountant could tell

Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    You can look forward to increased prices, crappier parts, and a longer lead time on bikes.

I am going custom...sick of the crap!! No cut corners or overengineered tech.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post

If a recession does hit next year bike companies better have some less expensive aluminum frames all ready to go. And not Santa Cruz less expensive.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Speaking of colorways, I see that camouflage is in again.

BTW, I've seen the term "colorways" in other industries for years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Speaking of colorways, I see that camouflage is in again.
    How?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There's new stuff from On-One.

Bootzipper, BigDog & a new Scandal.