2019 YT Jeffsy, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2019

2019 YT Jeffsy, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX

I'm in the market for my first full-sus 29er after being beaten up by my 2004 Giant XTC hardtail since 2004.

I originally though I wanted XC/short-travel trail bike and have ridden Santa Cruz Tallboy, Specialized Epic and just for comparison rode the Stumpjumper. I was surprised to find that I preferred the Stumpy with 140/150 travel over the shorter travel bikes. So I'm looking at other bikes in the mid-travel category.

Due to availability at my LBS, I'm considering the Stumpy, Trek Fuel EX and YT Jeffsy (yes I know the Jeffsy is not at my LBS .) The Devinci Django is also a possibility but I'm put off by the nearly 3lb weight penalty at my $3K budget. As much as I liked the Stumpy, I found handling to be a bit sluggish and to have more squat under pedaling than I'd like. I'll ride the Trek Fuel EX this week. Has anyone out there ridden all three and what are your impressions?

My max budget is $3K (unless anyone can convince my wife otherwise), and I will upgrade as parts wear. The better build and lower price on the Jeffsy is very attractive. I ride rough single track, technical and smooth climbs/descents.

mtbr member
    I was all for the Fuel EX last year after the the great reviews for 2017 bike of the year and all, Fox Rhythm fork, DPS shock, decent components for 3.2k... and the 27.5+ for a little more intrigued me as well... rode nice but felt like I was sitting on it rather than in it. THEN, I learned about JEFFSY... same suspension with 10mm more travel, great components & wheels/tires, great bike of year reviews. Everything I wanted for 1k less? No Brainer! Pulled the trigger just based on the fan base discussions without even seeing one! Yea, youíll have to wait a while but youíll have fun commiserating one of the YT Wait forums. Maybe use the money you save to buy a spare 27.5+ wheel/tire set like I did... the rear is not super wide so 2.8 on 35mm rim is about the limit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Rocky mountain instinct is in a similar category. 140/140.

Check out the recent thread discussing it vs the Trek Fuel Ex

(can't post a link to it because tapatalk is hot garbage, but it's in the 29er forum. I'll post a link when I'm back at the computer.)

Edit: here's the link. (And shame on cell phone browsing technology)
    https://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/r...x-1065300.html

2019 YT Jeffsy, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek Fuel EX-shame.jpg
    Last edited by matto6; 04-16-2019 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The carbon Jeffsy has new geo not the aluminum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for pointing this out. I actually prefer the MKI geo on paper so this is good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks. RM looks great but outside my budget...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I know nothing of the Jeffsy, but as far as the other two bikes, the Fuel EX pretty much splits the difference between the short travel bikes you disliked and the Stumpy.

I've got one, and it's a great do-it-all bike. In a pinch, with light wheels, I'd cheerfully race it in a rugged endurance race. I wouldn't even consider that with the Stumpy.

On the other hand, if my riding was chunky all the time, I'd go with the longer travel Stumpy.
    Whining is not a strategy.