2019 Trek Stache 5 vs 2020 Specialized Fuse Comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

2019 Trek Stache 5 vs 2020 Specialized Fuse Comp

First post. I am looking for a new bike and have narrowed it down to these 2. The Stache is on sale for $1500 and the Fuse sells for $1670. I like them both, but I thought I would take a vote and ask opinions of them. I am not an expert in components by any means so I would appreciate any input.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/fu...=263340-171069

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...stache/c/B335/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'd say the Specialized has slightly better parts, but the real question is do you want a "normal" 29er hardtail or do you want a 29+ hardtail? They're quite different in that regard.

I don't have any real input as I'm not generally a hardtail rider, but I've owned a couple of those Staches and they're the most fun and useful hardtail I've personally ridden.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    I'd say the Specialized has slightly better parts, but the real question is do you want a "normal" 29er hardtail or do you want a 29+ hardtail? They're quite different in that regard.

I don't have any real input as I'm not generally a hardtail rider, but I've owned a couple of those Staches and they're the most fun and useful hardtail I've personally ridden.
    Agreed.
    If your trails have lots of roots or rocks/features you need to tackle then the plus bike makes more sense but if your trails are fairly smooth a normal HT probably makes more sense with lower weight to tote around.
    Back or neck issues? Plus bike may help.

Definitely best to test ride both, though. Good luck.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    I just sold my stache 5, after a few years.
    Fun bike...more fun after adding a fox34.

I would go with the fuse, out of those two...
    The HTA and STA on the stache is pretty dated.

Added Honzo stats, because you could add a works angle-headset which would tweak it to your preference.
    Also, the kona brotherhood is real
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Trek Stache 5 vs 2020 Specialized Fuse Comp-stache.png  

Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

mtbr member
    Personally, Iíd go with the Stache. Trek nailed the geo on that frame and 29+ in general is a beautiful thing. 2.6 is getting there, but still not even close to the rollover, climbing traction, breaking traction and supple cush you get from 29x3.0 (or even better 29x3.25). Iím a recovering weight weenie, so I stressed about wheel/tire weight at first, but now Iím way over it. Once you get those big wheels rolling youíll be smiling. IMHO .

Have fun bike shopping!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have a 2018 stache, a 27.5+ hardtail and my wife had a stache and now has a fuse. I would say ride them both if u can. Stache plows for sure, line choice isn't necessary and it is a fun bike. But if your trails are tight and twisty, the bike is less fun. The wheels get moving and it's harder to stop. I'm 6 ft tall and enjoy both plus sizes, the wife is 5'6" and preferred the 27.5+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Thank you for the comments and advice. After many test rides on both bikes, I finally decided on the Fuse. It just felt better to me overall. I will post some pics when I pick it up next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    2019 Trek Stache 5 vs 2020 Specialized Fuse Comp-2020-specialized-fuse-comp-gloss-dove-grey.jpg