2019 Trance Pro 29 2 or 2019 Comencal Meta TR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

2019 Trance Pro 29 2 or 2019 Comencal Meta TR?

I know what you're thinking, this guy is crazy, that's apples to oranges!

I've been riding a Specaiized Fuse Comp Carbon Fattie (Hardtail w/110m travel fork) for the past year. I love it! It's so fast and playful, but it's really harsh and I injured my R elbow during a recent trip to the west coast of British Columbia. No bad falls, just endless pounding and I need a FS bike. I was all set to buy a short travel trail bike when my greedy, lustful eyes got a look at a Meta TR. A Trance 29, or ST Stumpjumer, etc., suits my riding style much better than the Meta TR, but the TR is such a value and I kinda have a boner for it right now. It's stout, beefy and looks like it can be ridding through a brick wall. Only thing I don't like about it is the 33 pounds!

Someone please talk me down from the Meta TR, Thanks!

WillWorkForTrail
    I rode XC bikes for a long time, including an older 100/100 travel Anthem. Part of the reason I never went to a bigger bike is because I didnít want to have to pedal a lot of that stuff around. Still, the idea was there, because although most of what I ride was find on the Anthem (for that matter, I single speed a lot of it as well, although old age did entice me to put a suspension fork on that as well) there was stuff that I simply couldnít do on the Anthem, and I was tired of the frame breaking, regardless of the fact that Giant continued to replace it for me.

When the Trance 29 came out, I knew that had to be it. Iíve sent some nice jump lines on it, plowed some rock gardens, and pedaled a lot of XC race worth trail. Iím not worried about going XC race fast anymore, I just ride for fun - and this bike is fun, but it doesnít miss much on the pedaling side because of the rear travel and maestro suspension. It also doesnít weigh 33 pounds.

So, you want more bike? Get more bike. Just be realistic about what you want to pedal around. A heavy bike can be of benefit at times, especially if you donít care about how fast you get to the top of a hill (or better yet, if you can shuttle). There are times when the descent requires more bike, and you just have to deal with it. But to me it sounds like you feel like thatís not really the case. Remember, a good price is only a good deal if itís something youíll actually use and like. If you buy that, decide it really is too much, then buy something else, it wasnít a good deal was it?

mtbr member
    I just bought a Trance 29 2. Coming off a Full Rigid Vassago Verhauen that I loved. But when the frame cracked at a weld I really didn't want to get it fixed I just wanted to go in a different direction-which meant full suspension. Other than getting used to the change in geometry its been a great change. Climbs like a mule with the 12 speed and maestro suspension and descends like a rocket and handles well going down. My Vassago was a skinny 22 pounds and was a great riding bike. I dont notice the heavier Giant in climbing or handling-it jumps, drops, turns climbs, descends crushes and rolls very well. I made a good choice. And the Blue is just a total eye grabber. Good luck with your choice. I dont think you're gonna go wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, these are really great responses. Always such a difference between what I may desire & what works best. I'm sure the Meta TR would be a blast, and look super cool in the garage but I lean more towards the XC/Trail side of the MTB spectrum than the trail/Enduro.

My local LBS has both the 2019 Trance pro 2 and AL 2 at 10% off. I just need to decided which one to bring home. At $3670 the Pro 2 is a stretch for me. My LBS is giving me $1350 for my Fuse. Because I'm more XC than Enduro, the Pro (being 4lbs lighter) is probably worth the extra expense.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amrider View Post
    Wow, these are really great responses. Always such a difference between what I may desire & what works best. I'm sure the Meta TR would be a blast, and look super cool in the garage but I lean more towards the XC/Trail side of the MTB spectrum than the trail/Enduro.

My local LBS has both the 2019 Trance pro 2 and AL 2 at 10% off. I just need to decided which one to bring home. At $3670 the Pro 2 is a stretch for me. My LBS is giving me $1350 for my Fuse. Because I'm more XC than Enduro, the Pro (being 4lbs lighter) is probably worth the extra expense.

Thanks again, much appreciated!
    I've got the Trance AL 2 and have zero regrets over this vs the carbon models. Very good cost to component ratio. Best all-around bike geometry I've ever owned. Can run the downhills as fast as I care to take them, handles 3-5 foot drops (as long as you have some self control), and climbs like an XC rig. Great mix of capabilities. Nearly every review I've ever read of the bike was spot-on.

mtbr member
    I have an trance 29 advanced pro 2 that I love quite a bit. It shares a stable with my megatower and in the past, I have had much more expensive bikes then the t29. That doesn't change the fact that the t29 is one of the best bikes i've ever owned. I like it better then my og (135mm travel) santacruz hightower for example going both up and down.

Get the advanced pro 2. Giant's carbon warranty is spectacular and the giant carbon wheels are second to non in terms of ride quality. Seriously, I consider them 98% as good as my SC reserves in the same width.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, I brought the Pro 2 home on Tuesday. I set up the suspension, saddle height and controls last night & will take it out tomorrow morning. I also have a Giant Revolt 0 and I was so impressed with it (It's a great road bike too. The frame and 40mm rubber feel very compliant, planted and confidence inspiring on the tarmac & it works great on tame single track!), I did not feel I could go wrong with another Giant. Dollar for dollar I they are just such excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by amrider View Post
    Yes, I brought the Pro 2 home on Tuesday. I set up the suspension, saddle height and controls last night & will take it out tomorrow morning. I also have a Giant Revolt 0 and I was so impressed with it (It's a great road bike too. The frame and 40mm rubber feel very compliant, planted and confidence inspiring on the tarmac & it works great on tame single track!), I did not feel I could go wrong with another Giant. Dollar for dollar I they are just such excellent bikes.
    Pics or it never happened.