mtbr member
    Feb 2011

2019 Trail 429 race X01 Vs 2019 Fuel EX 9.8

Both have same rear travel (120mm), fork (Fox Performance 34, 130mm), drivetrain (GX Eagle) and brakes (SLX M7000) and about the same price (Pivot is $200 cheaper but this is a non issue for me).

The Pivot has a full carbon low & slack frame (alloy chainstays on the Trek), a DW-Link suspension (ABP Full Floater on the Trek), Fox Transfer Dropper 125mm (Bontrager Line 125mm on the Trek). The geometry is different of course.

But The Trek has carbon wheels (alloy on the Pivot) and a weight of 28 lbs with tubes for M size (17.5"). I guess it's pretty close to 27 lbs without tubes. The pivot is about 29.5-30 for M size.

Is the Pivot's DW link, full carbon frame and good dropper combo makes it better than the Trek's carbon wheels and overall lighter weight?

I'v demoed the Fuel 9.8 and liked it, but I can't demo the Trail 429 because Pivot's rep has NO demo bikes of any model

What's your call between these 2 bikes?

Thx, Mo.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    FWIW, the Fuel isn't 120mm travel in the rear, it's 130.

It's also longer (significantly), officially slacker (and unofficially it's slacker than the numbers Trek publish). Officially BB height is slightly higher, but unofficially is about the same - accounting for sag it will dynamically lower overall.

I imagine they will feel massively different. The 429 looks really old school in geometry, the Trek, even though a couple of years old now is still pretty current (apart from the slightly too slack seat angle IMO).

They are very different interpretations of what a trail bike is & will do

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I bought a Fuel EX and ride roads, gravel, and trails with it now. I even sold my gravel bike I love it that much.

See if they'll even let you ride a Pivot around a parking lot. Otherwise, unless the the Fuel EX is missing something you're looking for I'd buy it. Let Pivot know since you can't Demo you're getting the Trek instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    The 429 looks really old school in geometry, the Trek, even though a couple of years old now is still pretty current (apart from the slightly too slack seat angle IMO).
    I think you're comparing to the 429 Trail, not the Trail 429 (confusing, I know). The Trail 429 has "modern" geometry. Pivot is longer (reach of 43.94 cm (M), vs 433 (Trek 17.5, high setting); BB is virtually the same (343 vs 344), and has slightly slacker angles (67.3HA, 74.6 SA vs 67.7HA, 74.7SA). I've not test ridden the Fuel in a couple of years, but own a 429 Trail and have demo'ed the Trail 429. The Trail 429 is a ripper- one of the best climbing trail bikes out there and very capable on the descents (especially if you increase fork travel to 140 and upgrade rear shock to a DPX2). Pivot is likely stiffer but heavier. DW link is one of the best pedaling platforms out there. Also has massive tire clearance- you can run 29 x 2.8 in the rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    They are very similar and aimed a the same market and after negotiation probably very near in cost--with minor similar spec differences. Both have well respected suspension designs. I would suggest in this case not using spec as a way to determine. But buy the one you like to ride--and if you cannot ride the Pivot then so be it-----it always surprises me how different 2 bikes may feel with very similar Geo and for me the bikes are costly so not trying is a non starter.

Your Pivot "dealer" may be a non stocking dealer otherwise I do not get why they have no stock----you could also see when and if Pivot will have their demo truck around----this time of year may be tough

mtbr member
    Trail 429 uses super boost. 157 mm rear hub spacing. For me that is a deal breaker. I don't want to deal with yet another hub spacing standard.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy283 View Post
    I bought a Fuel EX and ride roads, gravel, and trails with it now. I even sold my gravel bike I love it that much.

See if they'll even let you ride a Pivot around a parking lot. Otherwise, unless the the Fuel EX is missing something you're looking for I'd buy it. Let Pivot know since you can't Demo you're getting the Trek instead.
    I have a hard time giving Trek a fair shake - a friend of mine had a Fuel a long time ago (15+ years) and it was a POS. However, fast forward to now and I am seeing consistently good reviews - both pro and here in the forums - for the Fuel EX. Clearly Trek has improved substantially and I have been stuck in the past.

That said, I totally agree - if you like the bike that you are able to get a demo on, it doesn't make sense to go with the one that you can't demo.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    The carbon wheels on their own make the difference IMO.

I just got them and the difference in ride feel is amazing.

Bontrager Line Comp 30 (old bike) to Line Pro 30 (new bike). Same rim, different material and WOW !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Trail 429 uses super boost. 157 mm rear hub spacing. For me that is a deal breaker. I don't want to deal with yet another hub spacing standard.
    +1
    I have a Mach 429 Trail and absolutely love it. Would have gone with the new Trail 429 except for the stupid super boost rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You are right -c- about the Trek's rear travel.

Just read a review about Bontrager pro line 30 wheels...it looks very disappointing, not something that is typical to Trek that usually has good reputation.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...-weight-51399/

Anyone ride the 9.8 29er long enough to tell how this wheelset handles on the long run? I'm afraid it might be a problem...

Mo

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/carbon_care_wheels/

Trek has an updated warranty program on the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/carbon_care_wheels/

Trek has an updated warranty program on the wheels.
    I hope this program is reliable.... carbon wheels fault can cost some $$$.
    I will check it out.
    Thx!