2019 RIP 9 RDO - Anyone have one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 RIP 9 RDO - Anyone have one?

Looks like Niner came out with a new Rip 9 RDO. 140/150 mm 29er with 66 deg HA and 75.8 deg seat angle. I have seen and looked a number of the launch time reviews and most seem pretty good, but I have not heard of much else. Does anyone have one? Niner forum does not even talk about it. I am comparing to Ibis Rimpo, Evil Offering, Stumpjumper, and Hightower. By the numbers it fits in pretty well. The Rimpo has the most talk and pretty glowing reviews, but is older so got into more press comparisons and has been quite popular it seems. Little to nothing on the Rip9 other that some comments about appearance.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Joe. I feel your pain. There is almost zero chatter in the Niner forum. Part of the issue on the new Rip is guys still really like the last version of the Rip. I think the Niner crowd seems to be a little older and not so much part of the Brah enduro crowd. The last Rip was/is a great LT 29. Very much a trail bike over an enduro bike. I like you am looking for a bigger travel bike then my 120mm for our AZ tech. I am still looking at picking up an Gen 2 Rip maybe over a new one.

To your question. If you go to the last page of the Rip sticky in the Niner forum there are two guys who have built up and written a little bit about the bike. Itís not much. But itís all I have found.

I think 140mm rear is the sweet spot for SoMo and Sedona type riding. I think itís more of an advantage over 160mm bikes. Especially in our type of terrain where we arenít always bombing down at Mach speed. And even more so with tech climbing. 160mm can get to be too much and start to wallow in its travel.

mtbr member
    A friend just replaced his Jet with one and loves it, better bike in every way so he says. Neither of us really liked the old Rip when we demo'd it (he's a total Niner fanboy too) as it seemed like too much travel for the conservative geometry. I'm not really a fan of them [in general] but I've gotta admit that it's a good looking bike, both physically and on paper. He hasn't let me ride it yet so I can't comment on that...

I am Walt
    Joe, I saw one in Airpark on Saturday, and it caught my eye because it looked pretty sharp. Turned out it was a customerís bike, and he left with it, but you ought to stop by there and take a look around. Steve has a ton of Niners all over the place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I also thought the bike looked good and then nada on it-----I wonder how big an affect the BIZ issues Niner was/is having----cannot help and folks may wait to see if they are really going to be viable----this had me cross the bike off.

mtbr member
    Clint Gibbs, first look:
    Is this the bike you mean?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X-sY64XXA

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Clint Gibbs, first look:
    Is this the bike you mean?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0X-sY64XXA
    Yes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    To your question. If you go to the last page of the Rip sticky in the Niner forum there are two guys who have built up and written a little bit about the bike. Itís not much. But itís all I have found.

I think 140mm rear is the sweet spot for SoMo and Sedona type riding. I think itís more of an advantage over 160mm bikes. Especially in our type of terrain where we arenít always bombing down at Mach speed. And even more so with tech climbing. 160mm can get to be too much and start to wallow in its travel.
    Thanks for the tip. I checked them out, but nothing really conclusive. I am looking at this bike for SoMo and Sedona type stuff with the occasional casual enduro tossed in. I have no desire to go hard enough in enduro to be competitive. Too much risk of a big crash, but still want to dabble a bit. Plus I do want to hit more trails at SoMo and more in Sedona. I don't want to go too big as I need to climb techy stuff too, but also don't want to small and not separate it from Epic. I am thinking 135 to 145 rear and 140 to 160 front. I think a 120r bike is not enough and a 130 would leaving wanting more. My current bike is 125/130 5010 and it good, but I think the new bikes will do better.

Back to the Niner.... yeah it seems like it got good press, but little interest from consumers. I would have wished it be cheaper, but is pretty much right in line with costs for the Offering and Rimpo. Two bikes that have loyal followings. Even the SC Hightower is cheaper, but just slightly and despire being a few years old is still solid. I need to get out a demo these bikes, but it takes time with it being summer her in Arizona it just is harder to find factory demo's and time to get out and ride.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Like I mentioned in the AZ forum. Giant is releasing a 160F 140R 29er later this summer Iím holding out for this bike for many reasons. One, its exactly the travel numbers Iím looking for. Two, Giants are more affordable then the boutique brands. They typically have AL options under 3k.

Niner makes great bikes. Iím a Niner Fan boy, and own a few . But demanding top dollar for a brand that has a uncertain future is a gamble for a buyer. I would have thought they might have come in at a more economical price point with the new company owner.

Iím really looking forward to the Giant. My Wifeís 150mm/140mm Trance 27.5 is an amazing bike. I hope the 29 Reign will be a similar.

mtbr member
    I am big big fan of threaded bottom brackets. Big enough that a bike has to be really good to buy new that does not have one. If the Giant does not I will pretty much write it off. The simplicity of removing a replacing a bb at home with normal tools is just so important. I pulled the BB on my Epic a few weeks back to get the dropper post cable routed. Figured it was much easier to pull the BB and gain access than to get around it. Took me 3 minutes to pull it and 5 min to reinstall.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Clint Gibbs posted a review of the new Rip on his YouTube channel. I tried but wasnít able to post the link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Clint Gibbs posted a review of the new Rip on his YouTube channel. I tried but wasnít able to post the link.
    Does he compare it to any other bikes or just ride it along. The reviews I have seen area all good, but not many compare it to other bikes.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I demoed one back in February when the Niner van came through. Rode it two days in a row at SoMo. Really fun bike. Nimble, plush, but not mushy like past Niners I've been on. Geo is moderately long/low/slack but not crazy (which suits me as I think that trend as gone too far). It climbed well, traction was great. Easy to manual and hop. I felt a little in between on sizing. The large felt a touch too small and almost twitchy. XL was just about right, but maybe a little bigger than I was looking for. Of course I didn't get to mess with bars and stems etc. I also remember getting some peddle strikes, and thinking the BB must be lower than my current bike. Obviously pros and cons to that.

I wouldn't hesitate to get it for a SoMo/Hawes/GC/Sedona etc bike, though it won't plow through the chunk with the bigger bikes if that's your thing. It will change lines quick and make the trail fun, while still being pretty fast.

I remember thinking it was a pain to access the shock and the design of the flip chip was goofy. I don't ride a super plush bike currently, mine is pretty progressive and a firm ride, so how plush/hoverish the rear end was felt odd at first. Like I stopped and checked the rear tire at one point early in the ride. I wish had more feedback to give but only got two days on it, about 3.5 hours total.

I have seen a guy on SoMo climbing natty on one a couple of times now. Spoke to him briefly and he loves it. I also remember a couple of the bike shop guys that hosted the Niner van said they were or had gotten one, so there are definitely local riders on them.
    "Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Real Estate Professionals llc.
    realestate-professionals.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thatís the best review I have read so far Itís even better that you referenced SoMo. I wonder if you could make it plow more by bumping the fork to 160mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There isn't anything I've ridden at SoMo that I wouldn't ride on the Niner. It would be a blast on runs like Upper and lower National, Devestator, CDL etc. I'd happily do Geronimo on it too, but it's a mid travel bike with a moderately slack HTA and a moderately long wheelbase. So it's just not going to blast Geronimo like a big slack 160mm bike will.

But personally I think it would make a much better all rounder and play bike than the big beasts. I'm sure more travel up front and the subsequent slacker HTA would move it more in that direction.

I'm pretty sure the bike shop that hosted was the Global bike in Ahwatukee foothills. I rode from their shop to the trail head. I know the sales manager said he and one or two of the other guys had order the RDO for themselves. Give them a ring, they should have some miles on them at this point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Currently Iím on the Niner Jet RDO with 120mm rear the 130mm front bumped up to 140mm. I donít think the new Rip would be enough separation to justify the two When Niner released the new Rip. They hinted at a new WFO which will probably be a 160/170mm bike. Iím really interested to see what that has to offer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmj831 View Post
    I demoed one back in February when the Niner van came through. Rode it two days in a row at SoMo. ...
    thanks for the information. What do you ride currently and where/what you do you ride most? Just looking for some perspective. I have ridden all the places you listed. I do think that for Hawes a Rip 9 is overkill as well as for most GC. My Epic with a dropper is plenty. However for bigger trails on So Mo and for lots of the Sedona stuff a bigger bike is better.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I currently ride a Guerrilla Gravity Smash 29er. 140 rear, 150 front. I ride Hawes during the week, usually peddle up to Diamond point, hit magic mountain, secret, mine or I'll go over the top to NRA, hit some jumps, down high horse, up twisted, down mine and back through. That kind of thing. But I'll also crank out a pass mountain loop or do a quick cats peak run early before work (I can ride to Usery from my house).

I try to get out to GC once a month (cloudview, take lost goldmine to hoo doo to ktrail, Jody's, tech loop, Phantom etc) and SoMo a couple times a month. I ride National, Devastator/32nd, 24th, CDL etc. I like to climb, but I shuttle SoMo and Hawes rocky or to Granite reef from diamond point too.

I also like Prescott (Dells, Groom Creek etc), Hit Sedona for the first time a couple weeks ago, rode Hiline, slim shady and some small connectors. Mt Lemmon, Pinal MT, Mingus and Flag are all on my to-do list, so I'm interested in versatile bikes.

Anyways, if you know the local scene, that should paint a good picture of my riding. You're right, the new Niner is probably overkill for a most of Hawes and GC, but that's the problem with AZ riding. You ride lower Hawes on Friday, which is glorified XC, ride the chunkiest gnar in the country on SoMo on saturday, then go session gaps at NRA on Sunday with the boys. You either own more than one ride, or you have to get a bike that is overkill for some of the weekday spots.

So for me, I try to hit that middle ground. I like mid travel 29ers, 130-150 rear, 140-160 front, with moderately slack geo. To make Hawes and GC more fun, I like bikes that lean towards the playful side, hence my demoing bikes like the new Niner, the new Process 153, and hopefully soon the Evil Offering.

Anyways, the Niner is a pretty playful bike, I think it'd be a riot at Hawes and capable at SoMo.

mtbr member
    I have 3 bikes because one does not cover everything here. I am based in the north valley, but I also have ridden all the trails you mention except for Devastator 32nd/24th, CDL and Pinal. I also don't do jumps.

I have 100mm XC bike and SS HT that see most of my dirt miles, but also have first generation 5010 that is my "big bike". I find that bike over kill for Hawes, but great for Sedona and used it to shuttle Mingus and did Lemmon Drop on it. Since this bike is already 30lbs (my other 2 XC bikes are under 24) I feel like I might as well go a bit bigger and get 29" wheels. This will give me more capacity for National, Hairball and Cheesegrater at PMP as well bigger lines at Sedona and flag. But I don't do much shuttling to being able to climb and climb techy stuff is really important to me. One thing I love about my XC bikes is how well they climb.

Anyway looks like while our riding styles don't match your information is good to know.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I hear ya. I've never owned a bike that was sub 30lbs, and I don't ride xc really. I do love to climb but my view on what makes a good climber isnt really based on it weight or being the lightest, fastest and most efficient peddler, but rather how capable it is at climbing technical obstacles.

Obviously weight and pedal efficiency is part of the equation but I really look at traction and suppleness/composure over bumps and ledges Etc. I'm not interested in my stats really when it comes to just sitting and spinning up x number of vertical feet in x time, but I am interested in being able to climb tech obstacles and get to the top of the trails I want to descend.

In that regard, some mid travel and long travel all mountain and Enduro bikes are good climbers and others not so much.

I've ridden the 5010 and it's an awesome bike. To use all the cliche terms, it's super nimble and playful and really fun. But if that's your big bike I think you'd probably be blown away at how much speed you could pick up on the new Niner at SoMo or Sedona. You can only push that 5010 so far before it gets twitchy and sketchy.

I do own a hardtail though...but it's a dirt jump and it usually sees Urban use or skateparks, which I suck at riding but man is it fun.

So Cal Slayin'
    I know this is an old thread, but anyone else end up buying one of these? I have been looking at one pretty seriously for my do it all bike in Southern California. I demo'd the 27.5 version and was pretty damn impressed with it but haven't had a chance to demo the 29 yet. Any thoughts on the bike are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Check out Clint Gibbs YouTube channel. Niners donít get much attention. He did a pretty extensive review. Itís now SoCal riding. He is on the east coast. So not quite the terrain we have out west.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I demoed this bike recently more by chance than intent frankly - but pleasantly surprised at just how good it was. I would like to spend more time on it and sort the suspension - mostly the fork.

It really did a nice job of smoothing out the trail chatter that can upset some bikes and even tho a very plush feel thought the travel - it had some pop to it and easy to move around. As i told the guys in the shop that recommended i try it out - its flying way under the radar and not a bike to sleep on.

i have a handful of demo targets right now - Mayhem, GG smash, rascal, arktos, ripmo, process 134/153 ... may or not get to all of em, but the Niner sure was a pleasant surprise and will be in consideration!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but anyone else end up buying one of these? I have been looking at one pretty seriously for my do it all bike in Southern California. I demo'd the 27.5 version and was pretty damn impressed with it but haven't had a chance to demo the 29 yet. Any thoughts on the bike are appreciated.
    If you're on an xxl frame, or know someone who would be, if so I know of a brand new unbuilt one for sale. PM for details.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wait till they come back out with the WFO. 160mm travel bike. That will be the real sleeper. Niner was doing LT 29ers way back in 2011
    Last edited by fiveo; 09-08-2019 at 09:44 PM.

So Cal Slayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    I demoed this bike recently more by chance than intent frankly - but pleasantly surprised at just how good it was. I would like to spend more time on it and sort the suspension - mostly the fork.

It really did a nice job of smoothing out the trail chatter that can upset some bikes and even tho a very plush feel thought the travel - it had some pop to it and easy to move around. As i told the guys in the shop that recommended i try it out - its flying way under the radar and not a bike to sleep on.

i have a handful of demo targets right now - Mayhem, GG smash, rascal, arktos, ripmo, process 134/153 ... may or not get to all of em, but the Niner sure was a pleasant surprise and will be in consideration!
    Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Pretty much matches how I felt about the 27.5" version.