mtbr member
    Apr 2009

2019 Motobecane HAL29 GX EAGLE 1X12 - Anybody have one?

Looking into getting a new bike. This one looks great but as usual can't find any real reviews or owners of this bike. Does anybody here have one or know of a reason I shouldn't buy one?

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 GX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox 2019 Motobecane HAL29 GX EAGLE 1X12 - Anybody have one?-hal29-gx-eagle-mtbk-21.jpg

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I see nothing wrong with her at all, pretty nice spec. and, I have read a lot of good reviews from happy owners. only problem for me would be that I like to deal with LBS for the support and if there are any warranty issues and service, plus, I'm in an office 12 hours a day, last thing I want to do is work on bikes when I get home. other than that, I would suggest adding a dropper on her. good luck and have fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It all depends on how well the rear suspension works for your style of riding, and you can't tell that by looking at a photo. Everything matters, the length of the chainstay, the exact placement of the pivots, the length of the rocker, the exact placement of the pivots on the rocker, the tuning of the shock....maybe it works well for YOUR style of riding, maybe it doesn't.

I didn't even know RockShox still made the SID. Don't take that thing into the bike park....that bike is definitely an XC race spec.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I bought a Motobecane fat bike last year and was very skeptical with the whole bargain-factory-direct process but I've been very happy with it. Customer service was great - I did a last minute order change and they were on it very quickly. Also, the bike came well assembled and the overall fit and finish were on par with every other "mainstream" bike company.

You can see where they cut the costs - bars, stem, seatpost, saddle were all super cheap OEM stuff that I swapped out. But you do get high quality stuff where it counts - suspensions, brakes, drivetrain, tires, etc. Not sure if they list the weight but don't count on it being light.

No LBS service is definitely an issue if you're not comfortable working on your rig but, for what its worth, I've heard lots of positives about customer service if parts break or something goes wrong.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I bought a Motobecane fat bike last year and was very skeptical with the whole bargain-factory-direct process but I've been very happy with it. Customer service was great - I did a last minute order change and they were on it very quickly. Also, the bike came well assembled and the overall fit and finish were on par with every other "mainstream" bike company.

You can see where they cut the costs - bars, stem, seatpost, saddle were all super cheap OEM stuff that I swapped out. But you do get high quality stuff where it counts - suspensions, brakes, drivetrain, tires, etc. Not sure if they list the weight but don't count on it being light.

No LBS service is definitely an issue if you're not comfortable working on your rig but, for what its worth, I've heard lots of positives about customer service if parts break or something goes wrong.
    Not worried about the LBS stuff. Not worth the extra money. I'll never use them for anything. The bike weight is listed as 25lbs. I have bought from BD before and was fine with what I got.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    It all depends on how well the rear suspension works for your style of riding, and you can't tell that by looking at a photo. Everything matters, the length of the chainstay, the exact placement of the pivots, the length of the rocker, the exact placement of the pivots on the rocker, the tuning of the shock....maybe it works well for YOUR style of riding, maybe it doesn't.

I didn't even know RockShox still made the SID. Don't take that thing into the bike park....that bike is definitely an XC race spec.
    The geometry suits me fine. No worries with tuning the shock. I guess you don't use Rockshox and your lack of knowledge suggests you probably shouldn't have commented about them. I'm just wondering if anybody has one of these as it seems a good alternative to these 30 pound monsters that I see everybody riding. Forget that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I should add that I was going to buy a carbon chinese 29er FS frame and build it up. Economically it doesn't make sense. The Fork alone is $800. I can't buy the components for as much as the complete bike.

mtbr member
    You're looking at the RockShox SID RLC 29, which costs $676 on Competitive Cyclist right now, and they are never the cheapest. I bet you could find something great (Fox Factory Float 32 used on eBay for $500).

The frame kinematics and geometry look quirky. If you just want to buy the bike for the parts and then get a chinese frame to swap everything onto, that would be one solution. But I don't anticipate that bike being the fun and fast kind of thing you're looking for.

I'm a previous bikes direct customer, mostly stuff under $1000 though. I now build everything up myself. It just takes patience and deal-shopping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    22.5mm inner dimension rims.
    142 rear hub.
    29x2.0 tires.
    But some customers are reporting room for 2.35 tires from some manufacturers.
    I like XR2 2.35 tires on 35mm inner width rims. I'm guessing this combo won't fit on the rear. And no 2.6 tire will fit on the rear.
    It will fit on the front fork. Which is a new 120mm travel 32mm stanchion Charger 2 damper with Debonair air spring version. Good fork and shock.
    The rear hub is a 370 3 pawl low end hub. Not a DT350 with the ratchets.
    So the bike needs new wheels like any bike at this price point or higher in most cases.
    Good brakes XT 8000 and GX drivetrain.

Overall it could be a good deal. No reach numbers which would help you get the right size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    22.5mm inner dimension rims.
    142 rear hub.
    29x2.0 tires.
    But some customers are reporting room for 2.35 tires from some manufacturers.
    I like XR2 2.35 tires on 35mm inner width rims. I'm guessing this combo won't fit on the rear. And no 2.6 tire will fit on the rear.
    It will fit on the front fork. Which is a new 120mm travel 32mm stanchion Charger 2 damper with Debonair air spring version. Good fork and shock.
    The rear hub is a 370 3 pawl low end hub. Not a DT350 with the ratchets.
    So the bike needs new wheels like any bike at this price point or higher in most cases.
    Good brakes XT 8000 and GX drivetrain.

Overall it could be a good deal. No reach numbers which would help you get the right size.
    Thanks for that well thought out review. I appreciate your time. I have been mountain biking since 1989 and I have seen lots of these "fads" come and go. Fat tires add lots of unnecessary weight and are not needed on the back. You only need one on the front. Wide handle bars make it more difficult to navigate single track. This trend is probably why trails are unfortunately getting wider and more trees being cut down. Wheels are not an issue and it doesn't need new wheels. Why would it need new wheels? That's completely incorrect. I agree the brakes are good but I would prefer mechanical. Hydraulic brakes fail.

What customers are you talking about? It's funny to see "technologies" like "dropper posts" return after all these years. Just put a damn QR on your post instead of adding a pound if you can't downhill. LOL!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 'customers' are in the main listing describing the bike printed by BD. Their info not mine. Put there to offset any riders worries about that 'fad' of wide tires.
    Sounds like you've avoided those fangled wide rims and wider tires, eh? GoodO.
    I'm the opposite and been on 30mm inners since 2014. And it aint no fad. True performance advantage in every case.
    But nobody's goin to force ya.

mtbr member
    The bike looks just fine to me. If the "Actual Top Tube" is the reach...and at 438mm for a medium seems to be right in line with mainstream geo. The only odd thing to me is the stem lengths (really long) and handlebar width (really narrow). To start...I would swap those out. Otherwise...bike looks good to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have the Hal29 Eagle NX version that I bought for $1800. Previously I had the Fantom DS Pro. I beat up the phantom for 7 years and it held up great and was a blast. The Hal29 is better in just about every way and much lighter. I think its a steal of a deal if youre not too taken with prestige and like doing a little assembling and maintenance yourself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Truevine77 View Post
    I have the Hal29 Eagle NX version that I bought for $1800. Previously I had the Fantom DS Pro. I beat up the phantom for 7 years and it held up great and was a blast. The Hal29 is better in just about every way and much lighter. I think its a steal of a deal if youre not too taken with prestige and like doing a little assembling and maintenance yourself.
    Thanks for your input. I don't care about prestige. I prefer not to be a walking billboard. Yes, it looks like a good deal.

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by Randot View Post
    Looking into getting a new bike. This one looks great but as usual can't find any real reviews or owners of this bike. Does anybody here have one or know of a reason I shouldn't buy one?

SRAM Eagle Full Suspension 29er Mountain Bikes Save Up to 60% Off 29er 120mmTravel All Mountain SRAM Eagle 1x12 , 2019 Motobecane HAL29 GX EAGLE 1X12 29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes SRAM Eagle 1x12 Speed Shimano XT Hydraulic Disc Brakes Rockshox Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hal29-gx-eagle-mtbk-21.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1220875

Thank you!
    Reading the thread it sounds like you have already decided this is the bike to buy. If not, what type of riding do you do? If you are doing anything beyond light green trails and some XC, There are other bikes in this same price range to consider. For example- the Jeffsy AL Comp is a better build and offers modern geometry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Truevine77 View Post
    I just ordered the same bike as you (NX version) and am curious to know how wide of tires you think you could run in the rear. I know it says some are using 2.35+ but is that just BD selling it or for real?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Im using 2.3 Maxxix Minions Ii tubeless on front and back. Gave me so much more grip and confidence on the trails in Florida. Im on the Treasure coast.