2019 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash 29er- Mtbr.com
    Short-Change-Hero

2019 Guerrilla Gravity The Smash 29er

Figured I would post up a build thread on this!! Just received her last night and spent the evening building her up and starting the bedding in of the brakes, first suspension tune ride will be this afternoon (4/17/19).

I bought this bike not because my current trail bike (2013 Hammerhead Thumper - think Spesh FSR Clone) was old or bad, rather this year is my 40th and figured there was no better reason to spend a grip of money on something than going with a new bike!!! The original plan was to order a Smash, after demoing them last year, right around the beginning of the year so that I could have enough time to get the bike and get used to it prior to the Epic Rides Capital City Offroad mtb race that happens in my home town. However, GG kept telling me to wait when I was ready to put in the order in January. Good thing I did as they released their new carbon processing and carbon bike at the end of January. You can read all about their new REVVED carbon here and their modular frame process.

So fast forward some nine odd weeks later and I finally have my bike.
    I didn't have a huge amount to spend on the bike and wanted to have something ready-to-ride as soon as possible so I decided to go with their Ride 2 build instead of just getting the frame and slowly building up from there. Sure there are things that will be swapped out sooner or later but that is all part of the process of making the bike mine!!! And that's part of the fun of it all!

Here is the basics of the build...
    - Fork: RS Yari RC 150mm
    - Shock: RS Super Deluxe Coil w/400lbs spring (upgraded from standard package RS Deluxe RT)
    - Cockpit: RaceFace 35 stuff
    - Wheels: DT Swiss M1900 w/ Maxxis DHF and Aggressor 2.35"
    - Drivetrain: SRAM NX Eagle
    - Brakes: SRAM Code R
    - Dropper: SDG Tellis

I will be adding a few bits to personalize it like a OneUP bashguide, Sensus FatPaw grips (purple lock-on) and other small pieces here and there. Build up was super easy, bike came in two boxes with wheels in their own box with the shock.

Short-Change-Hero
    And now time for the piktors!!

Everyone loves NEW SHIRT DAY!!!
    Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Awesome. If I was replacing my bike, this would be on my absolute short list, so I'll be watching this with interest.

Short-Change-Hero
    First tuning ride is done! Lots of stops to adjust saddle and dropper height, couple other small adjustments but everything seems good for the time being. Got to tune the Yari a bit more still. Never had to put so much air in a fork, up to 140psi currently and that is at like 28% sag...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Greg looks happy, all is good in the world, happy fortieth 😋
    For Sale: XMed GG Smash Frameset +
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    One of the best looking frames out there.... im digging the angular lines on it
    My name is George. Iím unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Out spokin'
    Looks super nice!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Short-Change-Hero
    Definitely a great ride and rides VERY similar to the aluminum version from what I remember. She definitely is a hefty girl though at about 35# unscientific way of me on scale then me + bike on scale. She feels hefty when you pick her up but DEFINITELY does not pedal like it. Going up hill, the only thing that feels different about the ride vs. my old trail bike is the seat tube angle, really that is the most discerning factor, that is until you head downhill.

Gonna take a bit to tweak the fork to be as plush as my Auron PCS RC2 is, or close there of, but the Yari is probably not long for this bike.
    Reason for not upgrading the internals of the Yari... well personal preference I guess. To me the ROI on spending $200+ on the Charger Damper, then AT LEAST another $200+ to fix its inherent problems (which they are getting better with the 2.1 but that is a bit out) and then to spend another $200 on something like a Luftkappe or MRP Ramp Control or DSD Runt, well I am looking at close to the cost of a new fork right there.

With the terrain I ride in, for the bigger hits the Yari does fine no complaints there, but I also have a lot of fast, chundery sections on my daily trails. Yesterday I felt the "harshness" in that small bump compliance and the LSC that everyone talks about. While some say you can fix this to some extent with the above mentioned upgrades or going to an Avy cartridge or moving to the new PUSH HC97 replacement for the Charger setup, well that's just not really worth it to me.

Been a Manitou fanboi for YEARS and been begging them to release a long travel 29er fork as the Tower Pro was always an incredible XC fork and the McLeod, oh the McLeod, has been an absolutely phenomenal shock for my trail bike. Now that they have "leaked" their new Mezzer, I will be holding on to my pennies for that thing! So far looks incredible with IVT, 37mm stanchions, possibly IVA and HBO, plus all their seal upgrades they have come along with from the Mattoc! Ooooooh babby!

since 4/10/2009
    I've gotta say I'm also not a big fan of Rockshox recent stuff. The only riding I have on their longer travel models is demo riding, but I owned a Bluto for a bit and it was never really right for me. It's no wonder people drop loads on aftermarket dampers and spring kits and whatnot for these.

I am absolutely loving the MRP Ribbon on my Pedalhead, though.

Based on your build details, it certainly doesn't sound cheap to improve on that 35lb weight.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'm not entirely convinced the bike weighs what you think it weighs, Greg.

My alloy XM Smash weighed 31.6 with no carbon, Deluxe RT, and Fox 34 PLUS. That was also with more trail oriented tires.

Lets say your coil adds 450g, your fork 200g, and your tires another 400g, that's about 1000g.

That's 31.6+2.2 = 33.8

It's AT LEAST 1LBS LIGHTER than you think it is.

haha
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    And now time for the piktors!!

Everyone loves NEW SHIRT DAY!!!

When GG first unveiled its new carbon main frame I questioned the "captured" or filled-in seattube/toptube triangle junction as perhaps looking cheapish but it's grown on me and now I feel it not only looks good, it also looks right: well engineered & strong. Your bike looks great, Greg.

Do I see a stack of pancakes holding up a big ol' dollop of butter atop the plastic toolbox on the RH end of your workbench? Yum!

Have fun riding!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

haha sander discs = pancakes with butter.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    haha sander discs = pancakes with butter.
    This.... set of DA Polisher/Sander discs with one that for some reason decided to curl up and the white underside is showing. Still need to finish cut n buffing my paint job on my FJ60. Up until recently was too cold to want to go outside and do something like that for more than a few minutes.

And still getting used to that filled in junction. Old bike had it and I constantly used it as a pickup point when moving the bike around. Kept grabbing at it to do the same only to smash my fingers in it. Now it is more of a pinch grip than a grab, still very functional though.

NedwannaB
    Bike looks great! Bet you cant wait for the high country to open up and hit those trails with it!
    Was checking out your FJ project too. Were you able to spray it right at home or was that just prep area?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Do you have any plans to buy the seat stay kit and run it as a Trail Pistol? I'm curious about how easy it actually is to do that conversion.

I love my Trek Fuel EX, but I'm very tempted by the idea of having two bikes in one, USA made carbon, etc. Having a Trail Pistol for my local trails and then converting to a Smash for park riding sounds really attractive to me. Especially since I could buy the TP frame and move parts from my FEX over...
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Do you have any plans to buy the seat stay kit and run it as a Trail Pistol? I'm curious about how easy it actually is to do that conversion.

I love my Trek Fuel EX, but I'm very tempted by the idea of having two bikes in one, USA made carbon, etc. Having a Trail Pistol for my local trails and then converting to a Smash for park riding sounds really attractive to me. Especially since I could buy the TP frame and move parts from my FEX over...
    Dump the Fuel and get the Trail Pistol!

I have a Shred Dogg frame coming to replace my aluminum Smash, tempted to get a TP frame for XC/light trail use.

The stays ain't cheap, also gotta get a different shock/fork/lower cup, then it's all gotta be installed...

The new TP is redesigned to be slacker, stiffer in the rear triangle, shorter chainstays, should be killer!
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Dump the Fuel and get the Trail Pistol!

I have a Shred Dogg frame coming to replace my aluminum Smash, tempted to get a TP frame for XC/light trail use.

The stays ain't cheap, also gotta get a different shock/fork/lower cup, then it's all gotta be installed...

The new TP is redesigned to be slacker, stiffer in the rear triangle, shorter chainstays, should be killer!
    Yeah, the only thing that has me hesitating (besides from an angry Mrs) is the seat angle honestly. Most of my local trails are super pedal-y and flat. The more traditional seat angle on the FEX puts me in a super comfy position for riding that sort of stuff. I demo'd some steeper seat tube angle bikes (like the Kona Satori) and found it a bit uncomfortable for that type of stuff. Probably something I'd get used to though.
    Patrick

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Bike looks great! Bet you cant wait for the high country to open up and hit those trails with it!
    Was checking out your FJ project too. Were you able to spray it right at home or was that just prep area?
    Yeah I sprayed in my driveway. Did all the prep and everything between the garage and driveway. Luckily it wasn't overly windy, just a nice breeze, so spraying did not have the paint going all over the place. Got some touch-up that I have to do in a few areas this year when I get some time but other than that was a neat little project, and dear lord does PREP matter so SOOOOO much.

Yeah, the only thing that has me hesitating (besides from an angry Mrs) is the seat angle honestly. Most of my local trails are super pedal-y and flat. The more traditional seat angle on the FEX puts me in a super comfy position for riding that sort of stuff. I demo'd some steeper seat tube angle bikes (like the Kona Satori) and found it a bit uncomfortable for that type of stuff. Probably something I'd get used to though.
    See I thought the same thing too but then got to ride it a bit more. Just like any bike geometry changes, it just takes some time to get used to everything. Really that becomes the extent of what you have to do, real learn your body on where things are in space and make minor adjustments.

No inclination to purchase conversion kit for the TP as that would be moving backwards to what I was previously riding and I decided that I want more travel, just a bit, not much though. Ultimately, the bike is very much suited for the riding that I do, I did test out a similar bike to the TP last year, the Pivot Trail429 and really found that bike underwhelming for the price and the ride for my terrain was at the limit of what it could do. Sure I could push a little hard and clean up my game but then it would not be suited for my bigger rides that really due necessitate more travel.

If the steeper angles scare you off you can always run an offset post.

Thats what I do, along with Vikb.

I was worried that steeper STA would be uncomfortable, but I ended up running my saddle slid forward with a 50mm stem on an Extra Medium Smash, which is equivalent to a Revved Trail Pistol Size 3 Long.

On my new Revved Trail Pistol (can I call it the RTP?) I'll be running the same exact setup. May run a shorter stem and slide the saddle back, may run more spacers or higher rise bar to lift the stem higher. We'll see.

Funny that I went that opposite direction of most GG owners that are moving to the carbon frames. I decided that I wasn't using the travel on my Smash efficiently, so rather than more travel with a "meh" shock I decided to try less travel (Trail Pistol) with a better shock (Avy coil.) If I start bouncing it off the bumper then I'll know I made the wrong decision, haha!

Short-Change-Hero
    Honestly, when I first rode the Aluminum Smash last year that was the first thing I noticed right away, but seriously after a couple of miles of riding, it just melted away and the bike was just "there."

Don't let the steeper STA scare you, really many bikes these days, regardless of travel, will be moving that direction.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Yeah I sprayed in my driveway. Did all the prep and everything between the garage and driveway. Luckily it wasn't overly windy, just a nice breeze, so spraying did not have the paint going all over the place. Got some touch-up that I have to do in a few areas this year when I get some time but other than that was a neat little project, and dear lord does PREP matter so SOOOOO much.
    Cant get away with doing that procedure over on our side of the CA/Nev side of the border!
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Cant get away with doing that procedure over on our side of the CA/Nev side of the border!
    Oh yeah I get that... I actually used to work for a company, many moons ago, that tracked VOC compliance for paint shops for the state of komifornia. Talk about some stupid isht. Anyways, was fun to be able to do it, probably will never do again though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Steeper HTA is not a bad thing really, just need to adjust otehr things so the reach and cockpit feel normal. The nice thing, and what is a really great selling point, is the 10mm adjustable TT. Seriously, this idea is golden, what other bike lets you change that aspect of your bike?

Another mid travel option is to build a Pistola 130mm travel, but that may reduce tire clearance. You could get a Smash and run the shock with a spacer to reduce travel, but you'd have a long bike which would be less playful than a TP.

Once I get my SD built, I'm gonna try some 29er wheels to see if I have room for anything taller ... hoping that a 29" wheel will fit in the 130mm setting.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Steeper HTA is not a bad thing really, just need to adjust otehr things so the reach and cockpit feel normal. The nice thing, and what is a really great selling point, is the 10mm adjustable TT. Seriously, this idea is golden, what other bike lets you change that aspect of your bike?

Another mid travel option is to build a Pistola 130mm travel, but that may reduce tire clearance. You could get a Smash and run the shock with a spacer to reduce travel, but you'd have a long bike which would be less playful than a TP.

Once I get my SD built, I'm gonna try some 29er wheels to see if I have room for anything taller ... hoping that a 29" wheel will fit in the 130mm setting.
    Getting a bit off topic here, but according to this thread the Pistola setup is an option, with TP seat stays and a 210x55mm shock:

https://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gr...a-1096908.html

That might be the sweet spot for me. 150/130 bike with 426 chainstays. Playful enough to still have fun on my local terrain and enough travel to do some light park riding (with always the option to later get the Smash stays and a coil shock). Decisions...
    Patrick

Short-Change-Hero

Actually watching some of the Sea Otter 2019 videos NS Bikes released a new carbon bike that does something similar.
    The Define comes in two styles 130 and 150, via a flip chip similar to GG the reach can be adjusted by 10mm and I thought I heard in the video that they are offering a seatstay kit that will adjust between the 130 travel and 150 travel out back. Its an interesting comparison between the two bikes and actually I had been looking at the NS Snabb Plus 150 in 29er shoes before I found the GG Smash.

Actually I think in the case of the NS Define, the shock and lower shock mount are changed to adjust travel. I wish GG's seat stays were that easy (and cheap).

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok that makes sense. Wonder if this is going to be something the industry picks up and starts moving forward with?! Seems like it would be an easy addition to carbon frames, while new tooling costs with major redesigns it should not be an issue.

On to something else though.... her name...
    Much like with vehicles, I have to come up with a name for a bike. The bikes that I have are PPE or Pepe (Purple People Eater) my On-One Inbred hardtail, Betty my Hammerhead Thumper trail slayer and now the GG Smash. I have been trying to come up with a name for her and the only name that seems to be rattling around in my head that makes sense is Maddy.
    The Smash kinda reminds me of Maddy Forberg, who is an olympic powerlift. I think she is a short, cute, brick shithouse of a woman but then again she is the type of girl I like (damn those legs!!!) and one that probably hits way above her weight, kinda like the Smash. Anyways, think that is going to be her name from now on unless I have some random epiphany that changes her name.

Short-Change-Hero
    LOL... that's too funny dude! Maddy has pretty much stuck though.

mtbr member
    How the flex on the new smash?

Ibis folks seem to test frame flex at Sea Otter:
    https://youtu.be/MkwCg1OF66Y?t=872
    Ride, Enjoy...Repeat.

Short-Change-Hero
    Been riding it pretty hard last couple weeks in some seriously chunky terrain and if there is any frame "flex" it is not something that I have noticed during my riding....

There will always be a small amount of flex in everything so as long as it is not an inordinate amount all should be good.

Another ride last night on a different type of trail. This is a 6.5 mile out to a point and then return. However, for our area this is a more flowy type trail trail with little "technical" riding other than a few rocky sections. Nothing like what I have a close to my house or the "suspension tuner" trail that is out east of town.

On the fast flowy stuff, well Maddy did awesome. Still getting used to the fact that on tighter turns she likes a bit more body english to turn than just straight turning. This could be due to the 51mm offset fork, or the fact that I am still running the setup in the LONG mode instead of short. Don't take this as the steering is slow or anything like that, because it is not. Rather more input is needed for full commit vs. just straight turning the wheel, actually I feel like she does better at turning when you lean her over vs. turning the wheel regardless of speed.

On this trail there are some good sections where you can open it up and let the bike run and RUN she did!! I thought my old bike was fast, but holy crap this is the next level!!!! On the section that we did, which we normally do this time of year and then later in the year due to it being mainly exposed and south/east facing (making it hotter than balls during the warm months as well as dry, loose and dusty) so it has a few rides at the beginning and end of the year before it is abandoned for cooler trails. Well, I got a total of 9 medals on Strava with I think 4 new PRs, some climbing and some descending. Seeing as I have only been riding this bike for a couple weeks and have not gotten myself into full riding shape yet just goes to show how good this bike is.

Short-Change-Hero
    So earlier this week I got a long ride on the Smash, total of 17 miles. This includes lots of climbing both switchbacks and just straight road climbs, and about a good 30 minute descent through a variety of terrain.

Climbing:
    Once again, I cannot explain how well this bike climbs for a 35# bike. I honestly do not even notice the weight and coming from a 1x10 (34t - 11/42) to an eagle setup (32t - 11/50) I must say that I rarely use the 50t gear. Most of my climbing is spent in the 42t or 36t as that always seems like a good balance of push but not a huge amount of effort. On the switchback, you will notice the length on the tighter ones but I noticed that with my old trailbike as well. It turns quite easily and well, just requires a bit more body english and lean than straight turning the bike. I cannot tell other users this enough, turning the bike is all about leaning it and throwing the bike around vs. "steering" the bike through turning of the handlebars. During these climbs I never felt a need to lock the suspension out, remember I am running a SD Coil with a 400# spring, as while I would bob when hitting a large rut other than that there was no discernible pedal bob even getting out of the saddle (at least for me). On looser climbs I would occasionally lose traction in the rear but I believe that comes down to relearning to adjust my weight balance for the bike and the current rear tire which is a Maxxis Aggressor EXO 2.3.

Descending:
    Smooth, Fast, Flowy sections
    - This thing LOVES fast and flowy stuff. She will cut through the trail like a knife with great input response. But as stated, I am relearning the bike as she does require more body input to really carve the corners and slice through the singletrack. As the sticker says, "I Like Goin' Fast" is an understatement. If you let off the brakes she will just RUN and RUN and take you to the limit of what you are comfortable with and then beg for more. In those areas that you need a bit more pedaling input, for me, she does not bob or feel unbalanced. I rarely feel like I am "on top" of the bike, rather I feel in the bike but not deep into it, just in that right balance where throwing body weight around does make a difference. I can't wait to see what she feels like when I have a better fork, currently running the base level Yari RC w/ the MoCo damper. I can echo all the reports out there that for a less aggressive rider on buff singletrack this would be a great fork and damper. But as soon as you throw some chunk in there or start asking more of the LSC side of things, it will get overwhelmed quickly and become harsh, spikey and pack up regardless of the amount of tweaking you do.

Technical sections
    - Luckily I live in an area that has a large variety of trail terrain within a short distance. I can go to one side of town and have a technical, chundery mess of a trail that will give your suspension fits, but then go to the other side of town and have buff, flowing singletrack that is a high speed dream. Going through this technical chunk has been a challenge currently as I am still working things out with the bike and tuning the setup. Firstly, the Yari RC damper (Motion Control = MoCo) IS NOT setup for something like this. Once you start asking for the damper to absorb and deal with any trail chatter it becomes spikey, harsh and just plain does not want to play. For someone that is on the more aggressive side of trail riding (have not issues charging a rock garden, taking small drops or jumps, etc.) the damper gets overwhelmed quickly and begins to throw fits. My last ride I had a long 30 minute descent that had everything from buff sections of high speed flow, to rocky switchbacks to small rock rolls and technical terrain. What I found is that all but the larger hits that truly engage the HSC on the MoCo cause issue for the damper. The rear RS Super Deluxe (SD) Coil is a different story. It loves that terrain and since I am still working out how things work on this I have gone from it being super poppy and fun to having an absolute rattle fest. This is my first coil so it is just taking some tweaking to figure out where I am at.
    Current settings for the SD Coil are:
    - 400# spring
    - LSC 4 clicks
    - Rebound 11 clicks
    - Preload is set to 20mm (measuring distance from top cap to screw down head. This is about 5 full turns past the point where the spring is no longer "loose" on the shock.)
    The preload of the spring matching the LSC and rebound settings is where I am still tweaking as I figure out how each affects the ride of the bike. I know that preload should be as minimal as possible, only having enough turns to keep the spring itself from rattling on the shock. However, even when what I would deem as extremely tight I can still get the spring to shift slightly in the shock with enough force. Again, I believe I am overthinking this but I am one of those people that needs to understand the process and mechanics before it will finally "click".

All in all I have been having an ABSOLUTE blast on this bike. With a total of 83 miles and only 7 rides on the bike I know that I will have a bit more tweaking to do as I get to know it better. BUT this thing ABSOLUTELY SHREDS!!! Even with a low end build kit on it, I am utterly impressed with everything on the bike, the way it feels, rides, pedals, climbs, begs for more speed, gobbles up chunder and just is an absolute blast to ride. GG was awesome through the entire process, while waiting a few extra weeks definitely sucked as I wanted my new toy NOW, the wait was more than well worth it and I cannot wait to shred on this thing for years to come.

I have two trips planned this year that will involve some big riding that the bike is coming (Maddy is her name); one in Park City, UT and one in Steamboat Springs, CO. While I have ridden in the Boat for many years and love the riding I am hoping that I get a chance to run down to Denver at some point and meet the GG crew! The Park City trip will be epic as well and look forward to shredding some of that terrain as soon as possible. In mean time, as the weather permits, Maddy will be slaying some of my local Lake Tahoe trail and may make a trip out to Auburn, Chico, Downieville, Quincy in the near future as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The preload piece doesn't make any sense to me. 20mm that's almost an inch. What's your sag with that much preload and how does small bump feel?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    The preload piece doesn't make any sense to me. 20mm that's almost an inch. What's your sag with that much preload and how does small bump feel?
    Yeah I am still messing with it as it does not feel right. Gets into the midstroke pretty easily but for the most part the "supple" off the top is lacking. I reduced it some last night, maybe two turns so I would need to remeasure what I am at. Even still I think I may drop it more, this is the "tuning" phase of things.

Sag with the 20mm of preload was right at the 25% line, but as many have said, the SAG measurement is really just a base starting point, from there you need to really play with it and not worry so much about that measurement. Nurse_Ben keeps telling me I need to drop the fork PSI more (currently running either 80 or 85psi) and for the most part the fork is good. Again, SAG was that base measurement to get things started and then I am messing with the other controls (LSC, HSC, rebound, and the Ramp Control).

Also, in last nights right I reduced the shocks LSC by one click. Don't know if I mentioned it or not but borrowing, with possible intent to purchase, Ben's old Lyrik RC2 with the MRP Ramp Control which is actually a 42mm offset fork. Has changed how the bike handles slightly but nothing that couple rides won't alleviate. Have two rides on the Lyrik so I am still messing with the settings on that.
    Current Lyrik settings are;
    - 160mm travel
    - LSC 1 click
    - HSC 3 clicks
    - Rebound -9 clicks from full close (full turtle)
    - Ramp control is at 4 clicks of progression (I think, need to double check)
    - 80-85PSI in the air chamber (will check this tonight and drop another 5psi to test)

Like I said, still tuning things to get the right feel. The coil is still new to me so figuring stuff out as I go and how the different settings affect my normal rides. All in the fun of tweaking!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would drop preload on the coil to just snug (1 to 2 turns). Measure sag there. And then if you keep blowing through travel maybe consider a stiffer spring.

I have a 500 pound spring on my Aluminum Smash and I weigh 195 geared up. That gives me slightly less than 30% sag and tons of mid-stroke.

In general I prefer Crush with a coil because of what you described, seemed a little easy to get into the mid stroke. I am experimenting with Plush with air and it seems pretty good (deluxe RT 180 psi with 2 volume spacers)

The small bump is really really good

Little_twin runs the Lyric rc with MRP ramp control on his Trail Pistol and it really is a great fork. So smooth feeling.

Did the front wheel feel a little vague with the 51 and does it feel a little less vague with the 42?

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieno View Post
    I would drop preload on the coil to just snug (1 to 2 turns). Measure sag there. And then if you keep blowing through travel maybe consider a stiffer spring.

I have a 500 pound spring on my Aluminum Smash and I weigh 195 geared up. That gives me slightly less than 30% sag and tons of mid-stroke.

In general I prefer Crush with a coil because of what you described, seemed a little easy to get into the mid stroke. I am experimenting with Plush with air and it seems pretty good (deluxe RT 180 psi with 2 volume spacers)

The small bump is really really good

Little_twin runs the Lyric rc with MRP ramp control on his Trail Pistol and it really is a great fork. So smooth feeling.

Did the front wheel feel a little vague with the 51 and does it feel a little less vague with the 42?
    Yeah there is still some tinkering to do, but that is part of the fun and why I wanted the bike months in advance before my race (Capital City Offroad by Epic Rides) so that way I had time to make the tweaks necessary. See I am 180-185# out of the shower and normally ride with an EVOC 3L hip pack with bladder. So with full kit I am probably right about the 190# mark. The 400# spring may be too much for me but with how cheap springs are I can probably play with them a bit and grab a 350# and 450-500# spring. I will mess with the preload first, when I demo'd Scott2MTBs smash last year he was running the same shock with a 400# spring and was at about 15mm of preload, so I had originally started what I thought was there but could have measured wrong.

I got plenty of ride time to keep tweaking a bit and I will until I find that settings that I like most. For the fork at this point is figuring out how the Ramp Control changes the feel once I get the LSC/HSC/Rebound dialed in.

I dont know that the front wheel felt vague, the reason for the fork was was the damper in the Yari. Just so happened that the Lyrik was a shorter offset. Otherwise I would have grabbed a Charger 2 damper and dropped it in the Yari. Both forks are plenty stiff and track nicely. No real "vagueness" in the steering, just that the 51mm felt to me like it needed more steering input (aka body english) to do the same type of stuff in certain areas. Neither is bad, just different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Should be fun 😁

MRP ramp control and HSC vaguely do similar things except the ramp control is speed AND position sensitive and HSC is just speed sensitive.

I would call MRP and ask them how the recommend setting them up to play nice together.