DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

2019 Epic Hardtail Comp Carbon or 2019 Scott Scale 930

Looking at these two bikes, 2019 Epic Hardtail Comp Carbon or 2019 Scott Scale 930, for general xc riding. Anyone have any experience with either model? Im lookimg for feedback on geometry differences and ride quality as to the carbon frames. Does either frame design have more dampimg characteristics than the other etc. Any input is appreciated.

mtbr member
    The two that I rode were Full suspension but, I'd personally pick the Scott.

Epic felt tons better with the updated geo over last years model that didn't have it. didn't feel like I was going over the bars on flat ground or a DH. The Brain worked very good but was loud and could feel it engaging/disengaging on climbs. Was more annoying than anything but I guess you could get used to it.

The Scott like lighter. Which it was by about 2lbs. Could really feel the lack of weight on the trails. It felt like a HT on the climbs and a FS on the DH's.

I know they make a Epic FS trail with a fox 34 sc and 120mm of trail that I have not ridden yet but I want to,

I know this is based off a FS but I hope it helps with something

As to frame material. I have a friend that has cracked 3 epic frames at the BB/downtube. Makes me wonder how long one will actually last. Not heard anything Scott wise with cracks and a lot of the fast riders here race Scott Sparks
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Those bikes have old time XC race geo. 69 or more head tube angle. A Specialized Fuse carbon or Trek Stache 9.7 will get you less race oriented and more towards trail. They more easily accommodate wider rear tires. High volume 2.35-2.6 tires on 35mm-40mm rims add compliance and comfort. But all the bikes come with Boost forks for wider front tires at least. If Scott made a Scale with the geo of the regular carbon Spark bikes that would be a winning choice.