mtbr member
    May 2007

2019 Commencal Meta HT AM Race 29

I have almost pressed the checkout button a few times, but a personality flaw has me hesitating. Like anyone I just want to get the best bang for my buck, and I research the hell out of whatever I am in the market to buy. I think this bike is about the best aluminum hard tail you can buy. Hell it has, arguably, better components than the Santa Cruz Chameleon and is $500 less.
    I just thought I would run it through the gurus here and see what other people's opinions are about the Commencal line of mtbs.
    Here is a link for referance:
    https://www.commencalusa.com/Mobile/...19-c2x26304827

Bikesexual
    That's a sweet ride! I don't own a Commencal but they do get good reviews around here from the guys that own them.

What's holding you back? push that button LOL
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Speaking as a Chameleon owner, the specs on that look great, with the exception of a PF bottom bracket, and the sizing being about 1 full size smaller than SC. I.E. the reach/ETT of the Commencal Large is like a size Medium SC.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    It has a 68mm BSA bottom bracket. From everything i have read, that IS the threaded bottom bracket standard. A whole bunch of custom bike manufacturers in Europe use it and I tend to trust European bike standards. I'm really a novice, so that's mostly just me reading about it.
    I think the European sizing is a little different than the ours, so that makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I love the looks of the meta, I like it more than the chameleon (and I own a SC). The only downside I see is the weight, even the entry level chameleon is 2 pounds lighter than the highest level meta (and $200 cheaper MSRP, which is probably $400 cheaper at retail), that is significant.

I would pick which style/color you like more as they are both awesome bikes, if there is a certain component you want on one you can always change that later, you can't change the frame easily though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Commencal makes killer well built bikes. Get the Meta if you want the more aggressive of the two. Itís frame slightly beefier and comes with 2.5 WT tires( better IMO) the Lyric 150mm fork(way better than the 34 120mm) and a 65degree HA= a stable ripping downhill ride. Get the chameleon for a more climber friendly experience 2.3 tires and a 67.3 degree should give a more nimble ride. Pick what suites your riding style and terrain best. My nod goes to the Commencal because downhill is where the real fun happens. Either way, enjoy your new ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Go with the Commencal for sure!! I bought a Meta AM HT in 2015 and loved every second of it! I sold it this fall and am going to be buying the 2019 in a couple weeks.