2018 Specialized Epic Hardtail Comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

2018 Specialized Epic Hardtail Comp

Hi All,

Im looking to purchase the 2018 Epic Hardtail Comp. Im 5'6.5" with 30 inseam, on there website they have the small from 5'2" up tp 5'5" and medium is 5'5" to 5'10"

I could get a small or medium base from there sizing suggestion, but
    Im just not sure if medium is going to be big on me or small is going to be too small, i am ordering so i cannot really return the bike if it doesnt fit well. I dont have any local shop that stocks this, so i cannot try them out

I need suggestion from owners that bought and have experienced, please Helpppppp

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Check the Specialized Forum on this site as well, might be more people with this exact bike.

My .02 is to go medium. It looks like you're 1.5" outside of the small range, and that is actually a lot.

Other things to consider. How have your past bikes fit you? How does their geometry stack up to the Epic? Do you like your bikes to feel more stable and possibly stretched out (on the larger side) or more maneuverable and potentially cramped (on the smaller side)? Also, does the shop have any other hardtail models to try out? The other Epics and the Chisel and even the Rockhopper could give you a pretty good overall idea on the differences between a small and a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    HI AK, i had a cube reaction in size 17 before, the geometry of the epic medium is a little bit bigger. I can test some bikes in the dealer but not the same geometry and they dont stock expensive bikes. The chisel has different geometry than the epic, one example is the reach, why is epic's reach so long?..lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The Epic and Chisel have near identical geometry. The only difference I can see is a couple mm in stack height. But reach is the same.

It's good that you can check the geo on your past bike and do some comparing.