2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2017

2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build

Itís hard to find people building light AM bikes, and weights in general are hard to come by as seems most just accept bikes in the 29-31lb range. Manufacturers also do a terrible job of posting and a lot of these modern carbon trail bikes are heavy AF and not much lighter than their aluminum counterparts.

Anyhow, the instinct is pretty damn light and coming from a proper XC race rig (Norco Revolver FS) I'm looking to build a more downhill capable bike that can still climb fast when I want it to. Having demo'ed one of these, the bike pedals incredibly given the travel so should fit the bill as my quiver killer.

Building this with two wheelsets, one for more AM riding with DHFs, and some carbon wheels for more xc stuff.

Target weights in an XL are 26.5-27lbs in AM mode and 25.5 lbs in XC mode.

Iíll post more pics as the build comes together.

2018 Rocky Mountain Instinct C70 frame, axle, all pivot HW size XL- 2520 grams
    2018 fox performance elite fork 140mm - 1840 grams
    2018 dps evol 210x55 - 267 grams
    Shock bushings: 35 grams
    Next SL crank: 440 grams

AM Wheels: I9 Trail - 1660 grams
    DHF Front - 940 grams
    Nobby Nic Trail Star Rear - 785 grams

XC Wheels: Either stans valor or lace some hubs into Roval Control SL rims I have. ~1420 grams
    NN Front and Rear - 785 grams a piece

More to come

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_4785.jpg  

2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_4789.jpg  

2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_4790.jpg  

2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_4791.jpg  

Last edited by arzt506; 08-30-2019 at 10:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Should be an interesting build.

mtbr member
    Just a data point and not totally apples to apples, but my '16 18.5" aluminum Trek Fuel EX 9 with 29er 29mm IW Carbon fan wheels, tubeless 2.4" tires, Stealth dropper is is 28.3 lb. That's with no effort to thought going to lightweight parts, and a steel chainring.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Just a data point and not totally apples to apples, but my '16 18.5" aluminum Trek Fuel EX 9 with 29er 29mm IW Carbon fan wheels, tubeless 2.4" tires, Stealth dropper is is 28.3 lb. That's with no effort to thought going to lightweight parts, and a steel chainring.
    That's pretty good. That's including pedals? How much do those wheels weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I think it's good manufacturers are making their carbon a bit beefier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arzt506 View Post
    That's pretty good. That's including pedals? How much do those wheels weight?
    With Spank Oozy pedals. Complete wheelset is 1632gm with Carbon Fan rims, SRAM 900 hubs and 28 spokes each. .
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    What tires for your XC wheelset?

mtbr member
    Good choice! RM bikes are excellent!!

I have a 27 lb. Marin MV9. It's been an excellent bike and light enough for some good climbs. But I will say, that RM will out climb my lighter bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Very interested to see how you build it out.
    Glad you are sharing this with us, the Instinct is an awesome bike and pedals way better than I expected it to (demo).
    I'm sure that bike would rip at the BC Bike Race in your XC configuration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Throw a Ron or Ralph on the rear & keep NN up front on XC build.. good way to lose another half pound

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hi arzt506, Any update.
    How did your build go?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhazard View Post
    Hi arzt506, Any update.
    How did your build go?
    27.5 lbs

My I9 wheels had to be boosted and were heavier than I'd thought when I got down to measuring with tape, stems (Trail S 29er). DHFs are frickin heavy. XL frame, so probably in the realm of what I should have expected given the intended usage. No way I'd do this without a dropper, DHFs required rubber on the shore, blah blah blah.

Rest of the build:

Frame (Rocky Mountain Instinct Carbon 70 w parts and axle) - 2520g
    Fox 34 performance elite 140mm - 1840g
    2018 dps evol 210x55 - 267 grams
    Shock bushings -35 grams
    Easton carbon bar - 230 grams
    i9 Trail S Boosted - 1795 grams (effffffff)
    Carbon railed spec. saddle - 165g
    2018 reverb - 675g
    Next SL cranks - 435g
    XTR trail pedals - 365g
    xg 1175 10-42 cassette - 325g
    XTR 11s shifter + derailleur - 328g
    XT brakes - 555g
    RF bb - 103g
    Chain (can't remember) - 262g
    Discs - 350g
    Nobby Nic 29 - 775g
    DHF 2.35 29 - 940g
    grips 60g
    Stem - 116g
    headset bearings - 85g
    Sealant + cables + other random little shit = 12.5KG/27.5lbs

Starts to get tough to shed meaningful grams without high incremental $$ and loss in durability.

Have not built up an XC wheelset for it yet and frankly having a ton of fun on the bike, am not racing mtb, and might just call it a day given my other CX and gravel racing money pits. But you can do the math on where different wheels and tires get this bike 26-26.5lbs very possible for the so motivated.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    and just general feedback on the bike after 6 months of riding... I could see hanging on to this bike for a long time. It climbs unbelievably well. I've been keeping it in position 5-7 (so basically neutral to steepish) and I find the bike super balanced. Pedaling to the mountain is no problem locked out. Technical, steep climbing feels just marginally worse than my FS revolver, but I could make up some of that difference with lighter wheels and faster tires. The instinct kills the revolver descending though and feels as confident as any enduro bike I've tried on the downs.

This feels like the type of bike that will be difficult to justify replacing for another 5+ years. It's hard to see frames getting dramatically lighter than this without tradeoffs in durability. I don't know that geo for mixed uses like this (aggressive climbing plus aggressive descending) has much more room to go either. 66.5-67 degree HTA, 75 degree STA, these are really nice numbers for the application. Sure STAs might get a bit steeper in coming years, but not so dramatic that you can't offset with saddle rails.

The bike feels very future proof, and the wide range of adjust ability on geo makes the bike quite adaptable to shifting riding preferences, which is usually what triggers my desire to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for all the info and expressing your follow up opinion. Something similar is on my short short list.

The bike feels very future proof, and the wide range of adjust ability on geo makes the bike quite adaptable to shifting riding preferences, which is usually what triggers my desire to upgrade.

Hitching a ride
    My AM wheelset is DT 350 hubs, 28 cxray spokes, Carbonfan i35 rims at 1484 grams. So that's 300 grams for you right there, more if you use better hubs. 240s would be 50 grams lighter.

KA bolt axle is 45 grams off.

I can't remember what my current Answer carbon bar weighs, but I have a Pro Tharsis AM bar on the shelf that is 209g at 800mm and it seems overbuit. That's 20 grams better than your Easton.

So right there, one pound off and you don't even need an xc wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    and just general feedback on the bike after 6 months of riding... I could see hanging on to this bike for a long time. It climbs unbelievably well. I've been keeping it in position 5-7 (so basically neutral to steepish) and I find the bike super balanced. Pedaling to the mountain is no problem locked out. Technical, steep climbing feels just marginally worse than my FS revolver, but I could make up some of that difference with lighter wheels and faster tires. The instinct kills the revolver descending though and feels as confident as any enduro bike I've tried on the downs.

This feels like the type of bike that will be difficult to justify replacing for another 5+ years. It's hard to see frames getting dramatically lighter than this without tradeoffs in durability. I don't know that geo for mixed uses like this (aggressive climbing plus aggressive descending) has much more room to go either. 66.5-67 degree HTA, 75 degree STA, these are really nice numbers for the application. Sure STAs might get a bit steeper in coming years, but not so dramatic that you can't offset with saddle rails.

Thanks for the great info re specs. I am riding an Instinct A70 but in Large and have it at 12.89kg at the moment BUT that's mainly because of my XC/Trail wheel set - DTSwiss XM1501 (with 240 hubs).
    Before they were fitted it was a beefy 13.5kg! Anyway, again a big thanks for this info and I can agree on the ride of these bikes - simply brilliant in general and the ideal choice as an all-rounder in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey guys, update on this.

Built up a set of super light wheels for this and final weight in XC mode is 11.9kg/26.2 pounds with xtr trail pedals. Not bad. For what I ride, it's not worth paying the money for lighter/less strong stuff to go any further, but you could if you wanted to obviously.

Here are the deets on the new wheels:

I9 ultralight 235s 29 24 spoke: 840 grams rear 690 grams front
    ethirteen race cassette 9-46 - 298 grams
    galfer 180mm discs w bolts 130 grams
    vittoria gato 2.2 rear - 690 grams
    DHR II 2.3 on the front - 800 grams.

I can't skimp too hard on tires cause I still want to ride aggressive stuff without too much compromise. but needless to say, with some xc race tires this thing goes into the 25s, which is insane for a 140mm XL 29er if you ask me.

Bike is holding up great. I love this thing. Hopefully all the weights are useful to people. I know I like seeing people weigh stuff.

2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2093.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2094.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2095.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2096.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2097.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2098.jpg2018 Rocky Instinct Weight Weenie Build-img_2099.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's impressive mate - thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for sharing all this.
    So what is the price of the first built?
    What is the price of the second wheelset?

Hitching a ride
    Wow, you really splurged on that wheelset.

So now I can see clearly why the AM category is in the 29-31lb range. You're at 27.5lbs with an XC rear tire, a kinda light though knobby front tire, an xc shock, and a Fox 34. Modify this bike for hard terrain with two 950g tires and a reservoir shock and it's near 30 lbs before touching the fork.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nope, itís at 27.5 lbs with dhfs on a burlier trail wheelset and 26.2 pounds with the light I9 wheelset, a DHR II on the front and a Gato on the rear, which is a light but surprisingly sticky tire on steep techy stuff cause of all the little sipes.