mtbr member
    Jul 2017

2018 Nukeproof Mega 290 Factory - Now with first ride review!

Review is on post #27.
    Last edited by almazing; 10-02-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

i like rocks
    I've been beating the crap out of my Mega 290 all season, totally in love with the thing, best bike I've ever owned and i'd stack it up against a lot of bikes that cost significantly more.

here is the review I posted up on a different forums:

------------

I thought i'd post sort of a "mission accomplished" follow-up review on my Mega 290.

In a nutshell, last year we spent a week in the PNW, and though I had a fantastic time I decided I was officially done ridding my DH bike and went on a mission to find a bike that I felt I could ride DH just as hard, while also being happy to do big climbs and all day rides.

Obviously we have a lot of choices out there in the aggressive do-it-all category. To start narrowing it down I realized that I was quite happy to ride my Hardtail 29er XC bike pretty aggressively, so I began focusing on aggressive 29" wheel bikes and initially based my budget and desire around either the Yeti SB5.5 or an Evil Wreckening. I demo'd both of these bikes, and checked out several others, additionally I of course read tons of reviews, trolled the forums and chatted up everybody I could.

In the course of all of this I kept finding myself drawn to the Mega 290, and despite not being able to demo one the geometry looked to be the best of the bunch. Nukeproof clearly being willing to push it just that much more aggressive than most of the rest. I was also highly attracted to the swooping hydroformed lines, awesome black/bronze color combo, excellent build kit, reasonably lite weight, practical frame design (threaded BB, external cables, standard headset, etc.) and the fact that I would pretty well assured to have the only one at almost any given trailhead.

Scoring the 2016 model on clearance sealed the deal. Despite the fact that I was willing to shell out full retail for an Evil or a Yeti, i'm no dummy and I was pretty stoked to score what I considered to be a dream bike for just over $2,500. Knowing full well that no build kit would be perfect, it was nice to have funds remaining to swap out any parts as necessary to dial it all in.

Upon receipt of my machine (in only three days from Ireland to Colorado!), I did swap out several parts to make it more suitable for me and my ridding including a 200mm front rotor, sintered pads, Deity 800mm low rise bars, a One-Up 30 tooth oval ring and guide, some ESI grips, and I immediately ditched the knobby nick rear tire for a matching magic marry.

In this configuration I proceeded to flog the heck out of it all summer, including trips to Michigan (city forest trails in Midland), Chicago (Palos), a three day trip to Sedona, a rip down the Full Enchilada in Moab, 18 days worth of ridding on my local Front Range trails (Deer Creek, White Ranch, Heil, Hall, Table Mountian, Apex, and others) and 27 days of lift service ridding at Trestle Bike Park where i've kept a season pass for 9 years.

The Mega has been flawless shredder at all of these locations, being more than willing to climb as much as necessary and it descends with reckless abandon, gobs of confidence and a huge amount of margin for error. Up or down, I've PR'd everything I've previously ridden, whether its the climbs on my XC bike or the bike park on my DH bike, the Mega has exceeded them all.

One issue I've wrangled with, like many others is the supposed "lack of mid-stroke support" from the factory shock. I'm running three bands and 30% sag, and honestly have always been quite happy with the way it performed. For sake of comparison I did swap in a Push tuned Fox DHX coil and put in a couple of trail and park days. Though I can say it did have more mid-stroke support, I never felt that the bike performed any better on the trail and have gone back to the air shock.

So.... with a good summer of dialing the steed in, we went back for the PNW re-match. This year I managed 8 straight days of ridding, no injuries, no mechanical problems (other than replacing a worn set of front brake pads). Managed to ride a day at Galbraith, a day at Chuckunut, two days in the bike park (including two laps of TOTW), three days in Squamish and we did the Pemberton heli-drop to the Tenquille Lake trail. The only change made to the bike was some fresh tires, this time going with a set of 2.5" DHF's which I had prior good luck with in BC.

All together, it was a totally successful mission and the Mega 290 was the perfect bike to bring along. Our large group was very well stacked with top of the line bikes and by comparison I always felt like I had one of the most capable machines in the crew. It was totally adequate for all of the climbing that we did (lots at squamish) and it was an absolute animal on all of the descending. Again, I set a slew of PR's compared to last year and in particular I smashed my prior time on TOTW and managed to ride the trail top to bottom full out without stopping.

In a nutshell, if I had an unlimited budget to pick any bike in the world to take on a PNW trip, I'd still pick the Mega 290. The geo is spot on, it climbs very well for such an aggressive bike, it descends like a DH bike while also being blessed with much more nimbleness, it looks freekin awesome and despite the impressive amount of hardware on display all over the PNW, I never saw another one.

***** Would recommend to a friend.

On a couple points of constructive criticism:

It climbs very very very well for a bike so clearly designed to lean way more towards the descent side of things. My initial build was just under 30 pounds, with the addition of a water bottle, tube, tire levers, pump and burly Maxxis tires it was closer to 32 on the trip. It grinds up hills great, on fireroad and trails, however the long wheelbase was an occasional drawback on tight switchbacks and its kind of sluggish on slow-speed super technical stuff, but thats not really my bag though. On the other hand, if you have some short/punch/super technical uphills and can carry some speed into them, the bike will just plow uphill. this was particularly awesome in Moab and Sedona.

I was VERY suspicious of the lightweight Sram Roam 40 wheels, but despite my suspicions they have remained true and solid with zero damage. I gave them a minor retension before the PNW trip, otherwise they have been flawless. Three other guys destroyed rear wheels on the trip, but the Srams are apparently more durable than you would think. 30psi in my Minions, don't care about your opinions.

The Sram GX drivetrain also performs better than expected, I was initially thinking about ripping it all off for Eagle, but its working well enough that I can't justify the investment. I did at many times envy my friends low gearing on the climbs, but instead I may try out a 28 tooth chainring. Or maybe just suck it up and get stronger.

The bottom bracket is REALLY low, I smash pedals all the time and regularly have to replace pins. I have a set of X0 carbon cranks in 165mm on my DH bike and may give those a shot on the Mega. I can also add a direct mount 28t to these cranks, which you cannot do with the stock GX cranks.

I'm not much of a jumper anymore, after many years of lapping Rainmaker at Trestle, I've swung my ridding more towards technical trails and now only occasionally take a jump trail lap. I find the nuke prefers life on the ground, hitting big jumps at high speed it scrubs and speed jumps really well, but I find it feels awkward trying to really boost off bigger jumps. But again, I don't have as much enthusiasm for that sort of thing as I used to, and that could be a factor.

Mr. Hill really should give the 29er version a go, probably would won the worlds if he'd gone for big wheel version
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks for the input. I havenít seen too many owners of the Mega on these forums. Probably because theyíre only sold by CRC overseas.

I actually bit the bullet and picked up the 2018 290 Factory model. With a component sheet normally found on bikes that cost easily above $5-6000 even in aluminum form, this is the bargain of the century.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod159403

If someone can find a bike just as capable with those components for a similar price, Iím all ears. Even the top of the line Carbon 275 Mega RS at $4500 is a steal. Not even other direct to consumer brands sell bikes with this much value.

Honestly, it just makes me wonder why other manufacturers are selling their bikes for so damn much, when I can get a 290 Mega with top tier components for $3800 shipped to the US and all duties paid.

And this is just the price. If riding the Mega is as awesome as the internet makes it out to be, Iíll just surmise that every enduro bike out there besides the Mega is a rip off.

i like rocks
    lol, your gunna love it man! great build kit on that, and yes, its one hell of a capable and fun bike! Post up some photos and ridding impression after you get it in!

oddly enough, i think a lot of people look at the reasonable prices and mistakenly assume that its some kind of cheap off brand or something, when really i gather they fit a niche more like Transition, except they are located in Belfast instead of Bellingham. Badass bikes without a all the pretension.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm pretty stoked. I hope it comes in this week or early next week. The build is just exceptional, and besides the in-house components, no corners appear to have been cut. Honestly, its value almost too good to be true. Even the wheels are legit! 30mm DT Swiss E1700s with the 18t ratchet. BUT it can be upgraded to the 54t ratchet. No need for a new wheelset or hubs! The Fox Factory 36 and Float X2 is outstanding. The XT drivetrain is a tried and true groupset. I'll probably put in a TRS Race cassette if I feel I need the range. Not completely sold on 1x12 yet. A size 16.5(Medium) should weigh around 30-31 pounds. Which puts it in the same weight range of other similarly equipped bikes, carbon or aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    I'm pretty stoked. I hope it comes in this week or early next week. The build is just exceptional, and besides the in-house components, no corners appear to have been cut. Honestly, its value almost too good to be true. Even the wheels are legit! 30mm DT Swiss E1700s with the 18t ratchet. BUT it can be upgraded to the 54t ratchet. No need for a new wheelset or hubs! The Fox Factory 36 and Float X2 is outstanding. The XT drivetrain is a tried and true groupset. I'll probably put in a TRS Race cassette if I feel I need the range. Not completely sold on 1x12 yet. A size 16.5(Medium) should weigh around 30-31 pounds. Which puts it in the same weight range of other similarly equipped bikes, carbon or aluminum.
    Just stop . . .

You're making me want to impulse buy this bike!

i like rocks
    I wouldn't dismiss the in house components, Nukeproof sells a lot of boutique components and what comes on the bike is stuff they sell aftermarket. I actually get a lot of compliments on the stem and really like the bars and saddle. I think your rig is going to come with wider bars, mine were 760mm so they got moved to my XC bike.

but yeah, jeez... with that setup, even coming with a chain guide, 800mm bars and a 200mm front rotor, you don't have to do jack squat. I guess maybe i'd swap on a 28t or 30t oval front ring, but right out of the box that bike is going to be 100% ready to slay any trail you point it up or down!

Mine came with tubes, but it also come with tubeless valves so i just had to yank out the tubes, add the valves and sealant and was ready to rock and roll.

congrats man! where you located at? hopefully you have some worthy local terrain and perhaps a bike park to give it a proper thrashing!!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Just stop . . .

You're making me want to impulse buy this bike!
    do it!

If i was to buy a 2018 i'd probably option for the RS based build, but they are already out of stock! browsing through chain reaction the last week or so stock on several models are going fast! looks like the word is getting out on these things.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    The build is just exceptional, and besides the in-house components.
    Worth noting that the Nukeproof EWS team use the same house brand parts, Sam Hill included.

As much as I'm a sucker for all Renthal everything Nukeproof bars/stem/grips are good quality.

mtbr member
    That is a killer spec for the price but...holy 2012 long chain stays, Batman! Everyone else has knocked that last 1/2" off. I wonder why the long rear center?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    That is a killer spec for the price but...holy 2012 long chain stays, Batman! Everyone else has knocked that last 1/2" off. I wonder why the long rear center?
    I gonna guess front/rear balance, speed, and stability when it gets hairy. EWS.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

i like rocks
    Personally, I'll applaud them for going with the long chainstay. I think "must have short chainstays!" is something consumers in the bike industry have held onto for way to long, for less than good reasons, especially in light of what we are demanding our bikes to do for us.

Sure... its a little harder to manual. actually, let me correct that. its NOT harder to manual, i can manual the dang thing just fine, but it does take a little more force to get the front wheel up. It can get a little awkward through really tight switchbacks, but personally, who the heck wants to ride a bike thats like "really great for tight switchbacks!"? that bike would suck at all the fun stuff.

its a long, low, slack super stable bike designed to go mach-looney through the gnar, those long chainstays are part of that recipe.

I think the long chainstays also contribute to the good climbing characteristics.

at the risk of getting slammed for "skidding" the local trails, one of my favorite local rides does have a series of very tight downhill switchbacks, after learning to slide them sideways and really let the back end drift, I can take those at some pretty high speeds and a hella lotta fun.

climbing them blows though.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    I am fascinated with the Comp Version- that blue just sings to me on so many levels. Do I read this to be a pretty solid "All Mountain" rig with a downhill lean????
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatuued1 View Post
    I am fascinated with the Comp Version- that blue just sings to me on so many levels. Do I read this to be a pretty solid "All Mountain" rig with a downhill lean????
    Pretty much. It's more DH oriented than a lot of other enduro bikes. Sam Hill also used the Mega(albeit the carbon 27.5 version) in a recent downhill race where he placed 6th overall. So technically, it's the 6th fastest downhill bike out there. Granted that it's probably mostly talent that got him that spot, the fact that he chose his enduro bike instead of a true DH bike AND placed 6th against the best in the world is endorsement enough for how awesome the Mega is. Nukeproof does make the Pulse DH bike, BTW.

mtbr member
    I am not a downhiller, so I like the thought of a more versatile all-mountain rig. I watched Sam on that run and he was amazing. It was funny watching the commentators in reverence of his skill riding that rig. I looked at the 27.5 as well, but I am wed to the 29 for sure (though a different size may make it easier to explain to my wife).
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 29

i like rocks
    I guess i'm not sure if its a very DH capable all mountain bike, or maybe instead its the best climbing DH bike? lol

I'd go for the 29er for sure. In my mind its a no-brainer and I see myself sticking with 29ers for the foreseable future.

I suppose it comes down to two factors in my mind.

1. you want a more "poppy playful" bike and less of a "plow through the gnar" bike, the 27.5 will lean towards the playful and the 29 will leans towards the plowful.

2. your on the short side. I'm 5'11" and the 29er suits me just fine, but maybe if i was Sam Hills height (5'8") or shorter the 27.5 might just fit better.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Iīm really looking forward to see some picīs off your new Mega when you get it Almazing. Also hearing some first impression about the build quality and ride impressions. When I saw the price I could not really understand how they priced it. Even though Iīm planning to upgrade to new bike in about a year or so, the factory model calls for me. I have a carbon YT Jeffsy 29er and found it to cramped for my my 193cm and looooong arms, so the Mega looks really good with the new geo. Even though the Jeffsy is my first carbon bike, I like the stiff feel of the chassis. So I hope that the Megaīs alu frame is not that ďsoftĒ. Maybe Nukeproof will make a Carbon Mega 290 next yearÖ

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Iíll definitely post up my first impressions when I get it. Though, I am quite annoyed at CRC. I placed the order last week and itís still ĎPROCESSINGí. They havenít got back to me regarding the status of my order which is irritating. I guess I wonít be getting it this week. Hopefully next, of the following week.

Anyone know how long CRC takes to ship bikes out?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I actually have a Nukeproof dealer here, and may try to wrangle a demo.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

i like rocks
    Iíll definitely post up my first impressions when I get it. Though, I am quite annoyed at CRC. I placed the order last week and itís still ĎPROCESSINGí. They havenít got back to me regarding the status of my order which is irritating. I guess I wonít be getting it this week. Hopefully next, of the following week.

Anyone know how long CRC takes to ship bikes out?
    Mine was also in this "processing" state for a couple of days after I placed the order. I emailed them and they told me that every bike is gone through prior to shipment to double check that all parts and components are included and in proper working order. FWIW, my bike was totally dialed upon receipt, no issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little backed up, looking at how the inventory on the new rigs has shrunk rapidly, I think they've gotten hammered with orders for the new bikes. Despite the massive web presence, its worth keeping in mind that Chain Reaction and Nukeproof are small operations, probably with no more than a handful of employees.

I totally get the "arrrrrg i want my new bike!!" feeling though!
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    Mine was also in this "processing" state for a couple of days after I placed the order. I emailed them and they told me that every bike is gone through prior to shipment to double check that all parts and components are included and in proper working order. FWIW, my bike was totally dialed upon receipt, no issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are a little backed up, looking at how the inventory on the new rigs has shrunk rapidly, I think they've gotten hammered with orders for the new bikes. Despite the massive web presence, its worth keeping in mind that Chain Reaction and Nukeproof are small operations, probably with no more than a handful of employees.

I totally get the "arrrrrg i want my new bike!!" feeling though!
    That makes me feel better about the delay. How long did yours take to arrive? And did you have to pay any customs fees or get a bill from DHL weeks later?

Mine is supposed to be shipped with Ďall duties paidí to the US. I hope I donít get blindsided with any fees from customs or DHL. US Customs can be unpredictable when it comes to stuff like that.

i like rocks
    That makes me feel better about the delay. How long did yours take to arrive? And did you have to pay any customs fees or get a bill from DHL weeks later?

Mine is supposed to be shipped with Ďall duties paidí to the US. I hope I donít get blindsided with any fees from customs or DHL. US Customs can be unpredictable when it comes to stuff like that.
    From everything I can tell, I guess it just matters on the mood of your local DHL office at the time. The day my bike was supposed to be delivered, I only got a tax due notice from DHL, i got online and payed my local sales tax and the bike was delivered the next day.

Shipping only took three days, much quicker than I thought, so with the tax delay i got it on day four.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    If they ship it by the end of this week, I should get it the middle of next week. NC is closer to Ireland than CO. CRC is really popular in Europe but not as much in the USA. Probably because of the customs nonsense that comes with ordering expensive parts from overseas. That being said, USA pricing for the new Megas are significantly cheaper than any price you can get in Europe(pricing goes by your country). If CRC were to sell the new Megas with direct currency exchange from Euros to USD, it'd be about $1000 more expensive. So really, US customers get hooked up with the lower prices. AND it's probably a ploy that CRC created to get more US buyers.

> 55
    Aug 2014

titusquasi - I am with you. I am looking for a longer travel 29er. My process 111 is a great bike - keeping it!

I like shorter chainstays and four criteria for my new ride: min 140mm rear travel, top tube around 650m, head angle < 67, and wheelbase around 1250mm.....

If the mega had shorter chainstays, it would make the list. Great price from CRC to u.s. buyers.

JB
    The 2018 290 appears to be sold out on CRC in all sizes for the Factory and Pro builds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Mine is arriving today! Woohoo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Got it today!

TLR version - It's stupid fast and stable downhill. It climbs straight. Awesome components for the money. It's an amazing bike.

I got my 290 Mega Factory from CRC today. Assembly was easy. Install front wheel and handlebar. Set up cockpit. Set up deraileur. Then set up the Maxxis Highroller II 2.3s with all the acronyms they have on it for tubeless. I'm a Schwalbe guy, but I know that the Highrollers that come with it is the super tough casing and whatever soft compound they have. It's just too bad it's 2.3 and not any wider. At my pressures, 23 and 26, they measured a tiny, tiny 2.2 inches. It looks comical that such skinny tires are on this kind of bike.

Anyway, the build quality is superb. It's made in Taiwan if you're curious. The Nukeproof components are very, very nice. It's a big bike. Long chainstay and long wheelbase. I have a size M and it fits me quite well at 5'7. The reach is fairly standard length. The rear triangle and slack head angle is where the extra length comes from. Noticeable next to my Fuel EX.

It comes with top spec Fox Factory suspension, Shimano XT brakes and groupset, threaded BB, DT Swiss E1700 wheels, and Rockshox Reverb with 125mm of drop. Needless to say, it's very well appointed. It has external routing which to me, is nice. I don't have to deal with cables tapping the inside wall making noise like on my Fuel EX9. Plus it makes maintenance easy.

I rode it on my local 5.5-ish mile loop. It's a lung buster. The hills are short but stupid steep, as are the downhills. Needless to say, I'm at full effort when I do this trail. It's not too technical. Lots and lots of roots. Flow is there, you just have to find it. It's just the constant steep ups and downs that kill me. I approach the first downhill and this thing just picks up speed SO fast. It's also crazy stable. That rear end is planted. Cornering, it's also super stable. I didn't feel like I had to muscle it to turn. It just does it. It's not as playful or active as my Fuel EX is, but I much prefer the feeling of positive grip instead of a chatty and playful rear end.

Climbing is efficient. The front end doesn't wander and I haven't done an unintentional wheelie even at the steepest section. It goes over roots and rocks uphill like it's nothing. Despite the way it climbs, it's comparatively slower at climbing than my Fuel EX. And that's because of the weight and tires. My Fuel EX weighs in at 29 pounds ready to ride. It also has carbon wheels and tires with better rolling resistance. The Mega 290 is a bit heavier. I'd say it's about 31-33 pounds and I definitely feel that when climbing. There's room to lose weight for sure. I also plan on running the Mega with my carbon wheels.

Braking is powerful. It has a 203mm front and 180 rear. Way overkill. It comes with the resin pads which will be swapped for the metallic ones. CRC also decided to set up my brakes euro or moto style. Which was weird to me. I'll have to swap the brake lines one of these days. I rarely use the front brake and I definitely don't need it where my dominant hand is. That's just asking for an OTB situation during emergency braking.

For a bike like this, it's also whisper quiet. The wheelset is DT Swiss. It comes with the 18t spline hub. And it makes no noise. I thought it would be raucous and loud as all hell, but it's quiet. And on that note, there's no weird noises during the ride. Except for the known Fox 36 top out noise present in the 2018 models. Definitely noticeable but I hear it's normal, so no biggie.

Also, I posted my 2nd best time on this loop with the Mega. Only missing my best time on the dialed in and familiar Fuel EX by 2 minutes. So on a heavier, unfamiliar bike with reversed brakes and skinny tires, I was able to post my 2nd best time. Honestly, I didn't really feel all that fast with this bike. You don't really feel like you're going fast until you're going really really fast. Speeds that I wouldn't feel comfortable going on with my Fuel EX. And even then, it's so stable and composed that I feel like I could go even faster. It's a different breed of bike.

I still need to dial in the rear shock and front fork which will take a few dozen miles to get right. I used about 70% travel on the front and rear after this loop. I'd say that's fairly standard for how I like to set up my bike. It's just the fine tuning I need to get right.

Overall, it's an amazing bike and amazing value. I got it for $3800 shipped to my doorstep from Ireland. It was an impulse buy, but I regret nothing. The lower end 290s are also incredible value and come with Rockshox and SRAM if that's your flavor. It's also the winningest bike this year. And the 6th best downhill bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Iíll put new photos up eventually. If anyone has a request for a specific photo of the bike, let me know.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the review! Do you think a 2.5 or 2.6 (Maxxis) tire would fit?

Side note: learn to use that front brake - way more stopping power!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    A wider tire would definitely fit. I'd say it can fit a true 2.6 with a bit of room to spare.

I probably should work on using the front brake more. I don't drag the rear brake, but I do use it to adjust my entry speed in to corners and and technical sections. On really steep downhills, I use both brakes to control my speed.

> 55
    Aug 2014
    Got it today!

TLR version - It's stupid fast and stable downhill. It climbs straight. Awesome components for the money. It's an amazing bike.

Overall, it's an amazing bike and amazing value. I got it for $3800 shipped to my doorstep from Ireland. It was an impulse buy, but I regret nothing. The lower end 290s are also incredible value and come with Rockshox and SRAM if that's your flavor. It's also the winningest bike this year. And the 6th best downhill bike.
    Sweet, Almazing. New bikes are always fun. Killer deal, pics, and thanks for the write up! Oh, and Sam Hill can sure send it!

Gerry.

Rocks belong
    Bang for the buck is awesome

But, I just can't do it. Not with that chainstay length.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Bang for the buck is awesome

But, I just can't do it. Not with that chainstay length.
    Whatís wrong with a chainstay that long? Iíve ridden it. Itís fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Seems like an incredible deal for a great bike. Congrats! Hope to hear more impressions as you ride more.

i like rocks
    congrats man! gorgeous looking bike!

Funny about the brakes being setup "moto style", They run them like that allot over in Britain. I guess the mechanic checked on my order that the bike was heading stateside and set them up normal.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

Rocks belong
    Whatís wrong with a chainstay that long? Iíve ridden it. Itís fine.
    Sorry, I said that wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design of your bike. As you've said, it rides fine. I'd argue it probably rides pretty damn good. I be the bike is outrageously fast, stable - especially at high speed.

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I say that I like bikes long, low, slack and playful. The key word there is 'playful'... I like to use my hips to guide the bike and toss the rear end around behind me. For this style of riding, I find I really like short chainstays. My old Surly had 416mm chainstays and got me hooked.

It's a trade off though... stability comes through length. Especially at mach-chicken speeds.

So... what does that mean about the Mega290? It means it's a helluva bike for the price and I think many people will find it to be an absolute bomber of a big-mtn gravity bike!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Sorry, I said that wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the design of your bike. As you've said, it rides fine. I'd argue it probably rides pretty damn good. I be the bike is outrageously fast, stable - especially at high speed.

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I say that I like bikes long, low, slack and playful. The key word there is 'playful'... I like to use my hips to guide the bike and toss the rear end around behind me. For this style of riding, I find I really like short chainstays. My old Surly had 416mm chainstays and got me hooked.

It's a trade off though... stability comes through length. Especially at mach-chicken speeds.

So... what does that mean about the Mega290? It means it's a helluva bike for the price and I think many people will find it to be an absolute bomber of a big-mtn gravity bike!
    Oh I get you. My Fuel EX is pretty playful and the rear likes to move around alot. The Mega is planted and all business. So I have 2 bikes in different spectrums of riding preferences.

I come from a motorcycle background so I can say that the Fuel EX is like a 600cc sportbike. Quick and playful. And the Mega is a 1000cc superbike. Fast, stable, and planted. I generally prefer stable and planted over playful and quick. I guess that translates over to mountain bikes as well.

I like the feeling of tires digging in to the ground because I know I can go a little faster. That's very apparent with the Mega. With the Fuel EX, not as apparent, so I hesitate a little when sending it. I prefer to pick a line and stick with it. To flow and guide the bike from corner to corner. Then when the rough stuff comes, just plow right through it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Some thoughts, gripes, and complaints with the bike after about 50 miles of riding in varied terrain.

Plusses:

The handlebar, despite being aluminum, is actually good at damping vibrations. I hated the aluminum Bontrager bar on my Fuel EX. But this one isn't so bad. It's 800mm wide. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Some trails are narrow and I clip trees with something that wide.

The Shimano XT groupset is better than SRAM X1. Shifts are quicker, crisper, and smoother. SRAM is a little clunky compare to the XT. The XT derailleur is a little more tricky to set up, but once it'd dialed in, I can't imagine a better shifting system. The X1 derailleur is easier to dial in, but is not as good as the XT.

The XT brakes are powerful. More so than the Guide RS. Modulation isn't as good as the Guides, but the overall braking force is higher than the Guides.

The Fox suspension is phenomenal. I upped the low speed compression on the shock and fork open mode to allow better pedaling. I'll sacrifice a bit of small bump sensitivity for a better pedaling platform. I'm still trying to dial it in a little more through feel, but so far, so good. Rebound is always fun to tweak. The suspension just absorbs everything and provides sure footed grip.

For being as thin as they are, the Maxxis Highroller IIs grip like the best of them. It really surprised me. It rolls surprisingly well for a soft compound and a downhill casing. I dislike that they are smaller than 2.3 inches at my chosen pressures. Imagine if Maxxis actually made tires that are actually sized as advertised! But they are heavy and I feel that weight uphill.

Gripes and Complaints:

Reverb dropper post. It's ok. It works well. It's not as smooth as the Bontrager dropper on my Fuel EX, but it does the job. I hate that it's hydraulic and requires periodic bleeding. I have no idea why Rockshox made it that way, but luckily, Wolf Tooth makes a cable conversion kit. The push button for it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I have it set up right next to the grip so it's easily accessible.

The stock seat is uncomfortable for me. I don't find flat, racy saddles comfortable. I also don't feel like I'm in a better position to pedal more efficiently with them. It does look super cool though. Like a spaceship.

I had the lower shock mounting bolt come loose today. I heard a weird creaking noise and noticed that it was almost halfway out of its mount. Luckily, I caught it in time to tighten it. Will be definitely using Loctite on that. Remember to torque your suspension bolts! I also ended up using waterproof grease on the suspension pivot bolts and bearing. Hopefully, this will mitigate the squeaks and creaks that will inevitably happen on a bike with this many pivots.

The upper cable routing mount is junk and hard to access. The screw used is way too small and I ended up stripping the thread. Luckily, it's an aluminum threaded insert rather than directly in the frame. If they would have placed it a little lower and used a longer screw with larger thread, this wouldn't have happened. It's impossible to tap, so I used a longer screw with a larger thread, practically forcing it in. It didn't take much force to 'tap' new threads in with the screw and it's holding up. I can't completely remove it since I don't want to strip it again. Luckily, the screw is long enough to get the mount loose enough to move the cables in and out.

----

Overall, the bike is great despite the minor issues that I'm able to correct. It's quiet, it's fast, it looks cool, it climbs well, it's well built and heavy duty. The components that came with the bike for the price I got it for is out of this world. I'm very happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Great info almazing and thanks for the photos. How does the bike pedal? How is it as an trail bike. As an Enduro bike Iím shure it will hall as, but Iím wondering how it will work as an trail bake as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rikhal View Post
    Great info almazing and thanks for the photos. How does the bike pedal? How is it as an trail bike. As an Enduro bike Iím shure it will hall as, but Iím wondering how it will work as an trail bake as well.
    It pedals pretty well even with the shock open. I upped the low speed compression to have a better pedaling platform and lowered the high speed compression so it'll react quickly to rocks and roots and such. Seems to have been working just fine. I haven't blown through all my travel yet. The seat angle is fairly steep so it pedals well up hills. No wandering front end and no unintended wheelies. It is a little hefty, however, so you'll feel that weight.

It can work as an everyday trail bike. It likes going really, really fast and is kind of tame until you pick up speed. Its long chainstays and a long wheelbase means it's not as playful or loose as shorter bikes. As long as your local loops and trails have some downhill sections, it'll be happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, It sounds lika a bike for me. Iím a big guy myself and my ridingstyle is more of a plow through things. Even though Iím riding more of my local trails, I will go to the bike park now and then.

What is the maximum air pressure on the 2018 X2 shock? I have the 2017 X2 on my YT Jeffsy CF and are right on the maximum pressure at 250 psi. I would like to have a liiiiiitle bit more. So Iím hoping that the 2018 model will have a 300 psi maximum...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Itís 250 psi max. You can always switch to a coil or get the Rockshox version if itís capable of going higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi almazing. Any new ride impressions? Iīm very curious...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rikhal View Post
    Hi almazing. Any new ride impressions? Iīm very curious...
    The bike has been superb. I put in a OneUp 47t extender cog which helps greatly on climbs. I'm changing out the Reverb dropper since it's sagging a little. Gonna warranty it, and sell the replacement. Or if someone wants to buy what I have, PM me. It's sagging about 5mm or so. I'm replacing it with a Bontrager Line Dropper once I buy a good set of cable cutters.

I put on my carbon wheels with Snakeskin Schwalbe MM and NN for a little while and it probably cut close to 2 pounds from the weight of the bike. The DT Swiss E1700 wheelset and HRIIs with the DD casing is crazy heavy. And so is the SLX cassette. My carbon wheels had a s SRAM cassette and SRAM rotors and it worked perfectly with the Shimano XT brakes and drivetrain. Zero problems.

With the carbon wheels, the Mega is definitely a bit more lively. It's a bit quicker to turn and it holds a line. Though the difference in stiffness between the DT wheels and the carbon wheels isn't nearly as much as I thought. The DT wheels are super burly and really stiff for an alloy set. But they also weigh about 2100 grams. 400 more than the carbon wheelset. I can feel the lack of extra weight and the lesser rolling resistance. It made climbing easier and picked up speed easier. I really enjoyed running the carbon wheels, as I felt faster with them.

That being said, I'll keep the DT wheels on the Mega since it's a great set of wheels. I'll just use a lighter set of tires and save weight elsewhere. The bike doesn't feel long now that I'm used to it. It requires a slightly different technique and timing when cornering. It still goes like stink downhill. It climbs well but it's heavy. The 47t cog really helps in that regard. I've gotten used to the saddle, and I actually quite like it now. Besides the Reverb dropper, which I'm replacing, I have no immediate plans to change or upgrade anything.

Overall, it's a great bike. It's built like a tank, descends like a freight train, and climbs well enough. The biggest downfall is the weight, but adding an extender cog or an eThirteen cassette or a 30t chainring will help with climbs.

I'm still very happy with it. No ragrets.

Pinehurst NC
    So what was your time at The Gov with it😉 that green sign looks familiar...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi,
    Thanks for the info. My plan is to change to LB 38mm carbon wheels and also the tires. I will also change to Eagle so Iīm glad to hear that these similar changes has improved the bike. I will also keep the DT wheels as reserve.

Regarding you reverb. Have you tried the ďquick and dirtyĒ hack? If not, try this.

1: Put your bike upside down with the seat post fully extended
    2: Push the reverb button and on the bike so you lower the seat post to its maximum. Then let go of the reverb button.
    3: Flip the bike onto its wheels again. Remember, the seat post needs to be fully compressed.
    4: Press the button so the seat post goes up.

This fixes the sagging issue most of the times. But if it still sags, then itīs probably something wrong with the post.

mtbr member
    It's been a full year on my Mega 290. I usually buy a new bike every couple years and take out specific demos every now and then until I'm blown away. I bought the Mega 290 without ever riding it because the spec/price was good and it was my first time owning an enduro. Normally I ride 120-130mm trail bikes. So in case I hated it, I didn't want a $5000 bike in the classifieds. The exact opposite happened. I love the bike everywhere except super super tight switchbacks. It's not terrible, just have to pop the front wheel occasionally or drag the rear end. The descending is so next level that I could give 2 . It was time for new bearings and bb, so I decided to put new wheels on her too. I9 hubs, Nobl TR-36 hoops, DT comps, DT brass nipples. Stoked to shred tonight!

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

i like rocks
    dang that looks great! I've been contemplating that same wheelset. I'm a little conflicted about it though, as i mentioned above, the Sram Roam 40 wheels really have exceeded expectations and almost any wheelset swap is going to add a bit of weight.

since i see you have the frame hanging on a scale right there, what did the weight come in at? I can't read the scale in the pic.

Reading almazings comments about weight, i'm pretty sure the weight on some of these is not in the frame, but in the components.

I should be dropping a half pound or so on mine in the next couple of days, just waiting on USPS to drop off my new chainring. I'm going to ditch the 170mm X1 crankset for a 165mm X01 carbon crankset and go from a 30 toof to a 28 toof oval.

I'm thinking this will get me back into the 30 pound range again and then i might look into some lighter weight tires. Lifts are closed for the season, so I think i can get away with trying to save a touch of weight in the tire department.

I've also been really curious to try some shorty cranks. 90% of the time i LOVE how low this bike is, but i really do smash my pedals on crap constantly. Its almost amazing how you can get comfortable with that after awhile, but it would be nice to reduce pedal strikes just a touch, especially on the climbs.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    The frame weighed 8.72 lbs but my scale only goes in 1lb increments and rounded up to 9lb in this photo. I checked it on the wife's food scale but couldn't get a clear picture of the 8.72. That's with bb and headset installed. Not bad for a size large horst link enduro imo. Right now as it sits I get 29lb on my scale. So because of the way it rounds, I'm between 28.6 and 29.5. The sram roam wheels were crazy light and with only 24 spokes and being 220 pounds I could feel a bit of flex in the rear. I also wanted to run at least 2.4 tires and I think the Roams are only 23mm internal. I go back and forth between the Ibex Onza 2.4 and Maxxis DHR 2 WT. Both are about the same weight and handle very similar on my trails. The maxxis corners and brakes just a very slight bit better, but the Ibex rolls a touch better.

mtbr member
    My bike came with 175mm cranks and when I upgraded to the Truvativ Carbon Descendant, I bought the 170mm. Not much difference, but between that, running a higher volume tire, and 25% sag with a couple volume spacers, I almost never get pedal strikes. I alternate between Shimano XT spds and Raceface Chester platforms and the platforms seem to have a few more dings. I'm sure size and thickness play into that. Just get a good crank boot.

mtbr member
    The Carbon Descendant is identical to the X01 crank. But I run Shimano shifter, derailleur, and brakes. So when I was in the market for a carbon crankset, I bought the Truvativ rather than the X01 so it wouldn't seem so mix and match. It was only about $250 also. The RF Next G4 SL more than I wanted to spend and I like the sram chairing mounting system better than RF Cinch.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    That's a good looking Mega! I wish they had my 290 in red! Nice wheels too! I'm planning on keeping the DT E1700s that came with it for the time being. My carbon wheels are on my trail bike. I will be changing out the tires to something a little bit lighter and higher volume. The HighRoller IIs grip like stink on damp and wet conditions, but in the DD casing, it just drags so much. It's hard to maintain speed when going uphill or when it's relatively flat. Planned upgrades are Renthal carbon bars and Apex stem, and eThirteen carbon cranks to save a bit of weight. I may get the eThirteen 9-46 cassette in the distant future to save a bunch of weight in the rear end while having a large granny gear. I hope I can get the bike a touch under 30 lbs ready to ride with aluminum wheels.

mtbr member
    Does anybody know the max Seatpost insertion on a medium frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i like rocks
    Cool, got the new crank setup on. 28t Absolute Black oval ring is REALLY oval compared to my 30t OneUp. Looking forward to giving this setup a try.

2018 Nukeproof Mega 290 Factory-20171026_151537.jpg
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey everyone, would you be able to post how tall you are and what size frame you run. I got to sit on a 2016 mega 275 and was surprised that it didn't feel very big even though geometry says it is bigger than my Ibis HD3, I do know the new 290 is slightly bigger

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have a 16.5(medium) frame and I'm 5'7. According to Nukeproof and several publications, the only frame sizes what were redone were the L and XL sizes for both 275 and 290. The S and M sizes were left untouched. This applies only to the 2018 models.

So if you sat on a S or M, it'll be identical in sizing to the 2018s. If you sat on an L or XL, you'll find that the 2018s are a touch bigger.

i like rocks
    I'm 5'10ish and also on a medium. Its big enough thats for sure, and longer in the top tube than some other bikes in comparable size, but its not super radical in that respect.

I also think the steepish seat angle and very slack head angle make it feel a little shorter.

On this, I think Nukeproof has maybe even underrated it a touch. Stock head angle is supposed to be 65 deg, but running my 160mm fork and using an angle gauge, its under 64. looking at other slackish bikes side by side, the mega is noticeably racked out and this pushes the bars back towards the rider a bit.

I don't run a spacer under my stem and have low-rise 800mm bars. This doesn't just keep the bars low, it also helps it feel longer.

On another note... I think that 28t chainring suites the suspension geometry well. I did a fair bit of technical climbing Sunday (hall ranch) and it did very well, I have to assume you pick up a touch of anti-squat the smaller chainring.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Mine came with a 32t chainring. I added a OneUp 47t cog to have a nice climbing and bailout gear. Thatís working really well for me. So much so that Iím thinking about going to a 34t chainring. But that would leave me with just one easy gear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Is the fork on the 2018 factory the new Fox 36 with the EVOL air spring or is it the 2017 fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    The fork and shock are both 2018 models.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm considering one of these. What's the biggest tire that will fit in the rear on the 290?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    2.5 measured true. So a Maxxis 2.5WT will fit with clearance to spare.

mtbr member
    Yeah there's plenty of space. This is a Minion DHR WT 2.4 on a 30mm rim. Still have a good quarter inch on each side. No rub marks either. The widest tire I've ever had in there was a Vittoria Goma 2.4 that measured 2.55 at the case and 2.65 at the lugs. I'm sure a Nobby Nic 2.6 would fit np.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Great, this rear tire info is making my decision even easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary in VA View Post
    Great, this rear tire info is making my decision even easier.
    I've had mine for a year and it's been awesome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Took my Mega 290 to a local enduro race about a week ago. I didn't expect to be competitive(and I wasn't) but I had a shit ton of fun and I was able to peer in to the potential of the bike. I was also able to improve my riding abilities by pushing well beyond my comfort zone.

Watching the videos online, it looked like a fairly flowy trail. But riding it in real life, it was a mix of terrain. Lots of gnar and lots of flow. 50/50.

The bike itself performed admirably. I replaced the front HR2 DD tire with a DHF 2.5WT 3C a week prior. It really, really wakes up when going downhill really, really fast and through gnarly terrain. I've never ridden the location before so in certain sections, I wasn't able to choose a proper line. I'd just send it and the bike took care of the rest. At speed, just trust it to get you through whatever. On the flowy stuff, it shines just as well. It grips like crazy and I can attribute that to the long chainstays and lengthy wheelbase. Oh, and the excellent tires. It's not playful like other bikes with shorter chainstays. It's all business. I have my Fuel EX if I wanna mess around.

I had no mechanicals and no flats. I did very slightly bend 2 spokes per wheel. I assume that I may have had a stick or rock strike them. No big deal. Took the wheels to my LBS, they straightened the spokes and trued the wheels. Good as new.

Downsides? Long, steep climbs. The bike is heavy. No getting around that. I'd say it's about 32-33 lbs. I installed a OneUp 47t cog to aid in climbing, and it does help until it gets a little steep. Needless to say, I definitely walked parts of the liaison sections to save my legs. That weight aids in the inertia of the bike. It's quick to pick up speed downhill. I can probably shave about a pound by putting in an eThirteen 9-46t cassette, carbon cranks, and a carbon handlebar. And another pound by installing carbon wheels.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Mega. Even more so now that I've taken it racing and it showed me what its capable of.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nismomike View Post
    Yeah there's plenty of space. This is a Minion DHR WT 2.4 on a 30mm rim. Still have a good quarter inch on each side. No rub marks either. The widest tire I've ever had in there was a Vittoria Goma 2.4 that measured 2.55 at the case and 2.65 at the lugs. I'm sure a Nobby Nic 2.6 would fit np.

has anyone tried 2.5 DHFs with 35mm internal rims on this frame? I'm not sure how much wider the 35mm rims will make the tire bulge out, and whether there will be enough clearance.

i like rocks
    i'm running a thinner rim with my 2.5 DHF's, but there is enough clearance that I couldn't see it being a problem.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Does anyone know the seatpost insertion length on the XL frame? Also, what's the seat post diameter?

Is the stock fork a standard 51mm offset?
    Last edited by madoxx; 01-05-2018 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by madoxx View Post
    Does anyone know the seatpost insertion length on the XL frame? Also, what's the seat post diameter?

Is the stock fork a standard 51mm offset?
    I've read on another forum that the offset is 44mm 👍 I got an XL 290 factory on order but not delivered yet, I'll try and measure the seat post insertion when I get it. I'm hoping to run a 9point8 200mm dropper down the track if it fits.

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post

One issue I've wrangled with, like many others is the supposed "lack of mid-stroke support" from the factory shock. I'm running three bands and 30% sag, and honestly have always been quite happy with the way it performed. For sake of comparison I did swap in a Push tuned Fox DHX coil and put in a couple of trail and park days. Though I can say it did have more mid-stroke support, I never felt that the bike performed any better on the trail and have gone back to the air shock.
    Seriously considering this bike, but at 250(+/_) pounds, I'm no stranger to overwhelming shocks on higher ratio suspension bikes. With this bike at 2.818:1 suspension ratio, I'm concerned I'll be over the shock's air pressure limit. Can you or any other larger rider comment on rider weight, and required air pressure?

Thanks,

Chris
    Will ride singletrack for food...

i like rocks
    At 180 lbs i'm not sure I can weigh in on that, your a good 70 pounds more than me and i'm sure that puts you into a range where most off-the-shelf dampers are probably not going to be tuned correctly.

If i was you... i'd seriously consider factoring the purchase of a custom tuned shock into any frame decision you go with. Its too bad that Push doesn't make an ElevinSix for our frame, though the Mega has been getting more popular (thanks sam!) so maybe its worth reaching out to them again. I'm sure you could get Avalanche to do something for you, or maybe look into something that comes with a pre-tuned custom shock. for example, you can order an Evil Wreck with an ElevinSix tuned for your weight range.

With any factory shock options, i'm sure you can pump up the air spring to support the correct sag, but likely your way off the weight range that the damping shim stack is setup for and you won't have enough compression damping and blow through the travel.

i'm sure going with a lower leverage ratio makes this less apparent, but i'd be inclined to think that you'd be missing out on a lot of performance regardless.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    Seriously considering this bike, but at 250(+/_) pounds, I'm no stranger to overwhelming shocks on higher ratio suspension bikes. With this bike at 2.818:1 suspension ratio, I'm concerned I'll be over the shock's air pressure limit. Can you or any other larger rider comment on rider weight, and required air pressure?

Thanks,

Chris
    Coil shock??

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBurg View Post
    I've read on another forum that the offset is 44mm 👍 I got an XL 290 factory on order but not delivered yet, I'll try and measure the seat post insertion when I get it. I'm hoping to run a 9point8 200mm dropper down the track if it fits.
    Nukeproof rep got back to me. Fork offset is 51mm on the Mega 290