mtbr member
    Apr 2011

2018 intense primer vs 2018 scott genius 920

i have a chance to get either one for same price. each is at the store thats fairly far away and i am not sure which one to get.

genius is stock, gx eagle drivetrain, fox 34, slx brakes, nothing fancy but good enough, 150/150 travel with twinlock, can by reduced on fly with lever to 110 rear for climbing

primer has fox 36 factory, fox dpx2, xt drivetrain and brakes, carbon wheels. nice build, pretty light too. 130/140 travel which is absolutely fine

the main issue is sizing.
    genius is xl, primer is large. i am 6'-1.5" tall. i generally like smaller bikes, demoed several xl 29er over the summer and thought they felt little too big. i currently ride mojo hd3 xl, and its the geo numbers match primer more than genius. i know it is not apples o apples comparison so i am hesitant on L size, even though several members on intense forum of my height ride size L. i am leaning towards primer because it is nicer build.

any help and or advice appreciated, no just on sizing but on these two bikes as well.

thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You're going to have to ride the bike to get the right size. You're in Denver so check sizing locally. Then speak to a manager only about working a deal for cash at a matching price or better. Tell him the amount you need to be at to get a deal done. 60% down no refund for any bike they order.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Xl genius would probably be on the large size.
    Its 150/100 suspension btw. But i sometimes see the 110 but as i recall scott yhemselves writes 100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by krumme View Post
    Xl genius would probably be on the large size.
    Its 150/100 suspension btw. But i sometimes see the 110 but as i recall scott yhemselves writes 100.
    by saying it would be on the large size, do you mean it will feel too big for me or it would feel like size L?

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    by saying it would be on the large size, do you mean it will feel too big for me or it would feel like size L?

thanks
    I ride a genius tuned in large. I am 180.5 cm and have dropper all the way down. Granted I don't ride with the saddle high but I am squarely normal in size. On the basis of that I would guess xl is to big for you. Have the saddle pushed forward too. Bike fits me.

Excellent bike and the 100 traction mode is excellent and I use it all the time.

Bought a fit4 fork for my hardtail to get the same 3 mode setting for that bike.

As said try to get on the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ok, i see. looking a scots size chart, at 187cm, i am way more in L size than XL. good to know.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    ok, i see. looking a scots size chart, at 187cm, i am way more in L size than XL. good to know.
    It was easy for me to know when the bike fit me. Drove 100 meters and i was sure. With my HT it took 4 months to get it right.

I would folow advice from eb1888. Takes 5 min in the phone with the manager to know. Just explain it to him. Its fair. Then you get to at least take a short tour. Better than nothing for sure.