mtbr member

2018 Ibis Ripley LS Ride Review & Impressions Video

Hey Everyone

Got the chance to take out the 2018 Ibis Ripley LS. Quick impressions are this thing is a climbing rocket. If you like to put in the miles and vertical this is the perfect bike. The front wasn't near as stiff as the rear however so a stiffer fork and maybe a 140mm fork could serve this bike well. Hope you enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/7r8TcFeIU2A

mtbr member
    Excellent review, just the info I was looking for

I narrowed down the possibilities for my next build to be the Ibis Ripley or SC Tallboy as I wrote in this post: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/sa...t-1063031.html

Do you have any experience on the Santa Cruz Tallboy or Scott Spark for comparison?

Again, awesome review
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon
    - DT Swiss XRC 1200 Wheels
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesher123 View Post
    Excellent review, just the info I was looking for

I narrowed down the possibilities for my next build to be the Ibis Ripley or SC Tallboy as I wrote in this post: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/sa...t-1063031.html

Do you have any experience on the Santa Cruz Tallboy or Scott Spark for comparison?

Again, awesome review
    I have only sat on a tall boy but look to get that bike out for a ride review either this fall or next spring. It's nearing winter in my area so I'm limited on time for bike testing. That being said I think you will need to evaluate what kind of riding you want to do

The tall boy by the numbers steers it towards a more true xc bike. Given though how capable SC bikes are, I'm sure plenty have used it as a trail bike with mich success. It should feel roomier than the Ripley as both reach and TT numbers are longer with both wheelbases being near identical, but as I mentioned in my videos, longer doesn't always mean better and you really need to sit on one or both.

On the Ibis, I would bet money that despite having 10mm more rear travel, it would climb better. This is purely opinion based on what I have experienced riding this bike and also a hightower. Also the head angle on the Ripley is a tad slacker so it lends to be more of a trail bike than the tall boy does. Also if you decide you want to try a 140mm fork on the Ripley, you can replace the 10mm external cup headset it uses for a zero stack to preserve the stock geometry. Or you could leave it to slacken the bike out a tad more. My test loop has lots of steap rollers and the stock Ripley handled it fine with confidence.

So to sum up my thoughts, tall boy if you want a roomier cockpit and near xc like performance.

Ripley if you want a comfortable climbing and miles pounding experience, trailbike set up potential, very stiff rear end.

If sizing is an issue with the Ibis, look to going up a size.

Keep the questions coming if you have any!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    I have only sat on a tall boy but look to get that bike out for a ride review either this fall or next spring. It's nearing winter in my area so I'm limited on time for bike testing. That being said I think you will need to evaluate what kind of riding you want to do

The tall boy by the numbers steers it towards a more true xc bike. Given though how capable SC bikes are, I'm sure plenty have used it as a trail bike with mich success. It should feel roomier than the Ripley as both reach and TT numbers are longer with both wheelbases being near identical, but as I mentioned in my videos, longer doesn't always mean better and you really need to sit on one or both.

On the Ibis, I would bet money that despite having 10mm more rear travel, it would climb better. This is purely opinion based on what I have experienced riding this bike and also a hightower. Also the head angle on the Ripley is a tad slacker so it lends to be more of a trail bike than the tall boy does. Also if you decide you want to try a 140mm fork on the Ripley, you can replace the 10mm external cup headset it uses for a zero stack to preserve the stock geometry. Or you could leave it to slacken the bike out a tad more. My test loop has lots of steap rollers and the stock Ripley handled it fine with confidence.

So to sum up my thoughts, tall boy if you want a roomier cockpit and near xc like performance.

Ripley if you want a comfortable climbing and miles pounding experience, trailbike set up potential, very stiff rear end.

Keep the questions coming if you have any!

Did the Yeti 5.5 feel sluggish compared to the Ibis?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hookem34 View Post
    Did the Yeti 5.5 feel sluggish compared to the Ibis?
    I don't want to use the term sluggish because that does not describe the 5.5 at all. However the Ripley LS was undeniably better at climbing due to a few factors. The DW design on the Ripley is just very efficient and produces a near bob free rear end when climbing. Also the Ripley LS Head tube angle is steeper and has 30mm less travel so the front end is just planted for climbs. Next the rear end of the Ripley is very stiff compared to other bikes I have tried. I think this helps the rider put power into the ground and not lost in frame flex.

Sorry if that didn't answer your question exactly but I guess if I had to say it then yes the 5.5 feels slightly sluggish compared to the Ripley. I will follow that up though by saying its not all directly related to the rear suspension. The Ripley by design and numbers will just be more accurate and have less wasted energy steering the bike especially when it gets steeper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I don't want to use the term sluggish because that does not describe the 5.5 at all. However the Ripley LS was undeniably better at climbing due to a few factors. The DW design on the Ripley is just very efficient and produces a near bob free rear end when climbing. Also the Ripley LS Head tube angle is steeper and has 30mm less travel so the front end is just planted for climbs. Next the rear end of the Ripley is very stiff compared to other bikes I have tried. I think this helps the rider put power into the ground and not lost in frame flex.

Sorry if that didn't answer your question exactly but I guess if I had to say it then yes the 5.5 feels slightly sluggish compared to the Ripley. I will follow that up though by saying its not all directly related to the rear suspension. The Ripley by design and numbers will just be more accurate and have less wasted energy steering the bike especially when it gets steeper.
    Did you feel like the shorter travel Ripley was every bit as capable as the 5.5 for the trails you ride? Have you spent time in a 4.5?

mtbr member
    The Ibis was a little more skiddish on the decent portion of my test track. here are the reasons why

Nobby Nic up front didn't have the grip of the DHF. It was the Addix Speedgrip compound and I felt on some of the rock surfaces it slid a little compared to the DHF

Front End stiffness is less compared to the 5.5.

The bike simply has less travel and is also steeper than the 5.5

This would be my ideal set up for the Ibis to try and match the performance of the 5.5

1. go to a Pike or 36 in 140mm and swap out the bottom headset cup to an internal instead of external. That would get rid of the 10mm of stack and help preserve the geometry of the longer travel fork. Next I would swap out the tires. It can be any combination one prefers. Mine happens to be a DHF front and Aggressor rear.

I think this set up would really close the gap the 5.5 has on descending without compromising much on the climbing. Again both of these bikes are intended for different use. If you try too hard to make the Ripley a 5.5 it will suffer greatly from a geo standpoint climbing. My set up recommendation though would handle my test trail easily and let me search for bigger things to try. I have not spend time on the 4.5 yet, however I do have a friend that has one and I have seen him really elevate his riding and hitting things with a higher degree of difficulty. I would have to imagine for how good the 5.5 is at climbing, the 4.5 would be that much better. The 4.5 does come with a 140mm fork though so it is almost set up like I would recommend in the Ripley.

mtbr member
    That being said I think you will need to evaluate what kind of riding you want to do

Thank you for the input, I'll be testing them both in late Spring when I am back in SoCal ... I am looking at size large, even though I currently ride a size medium Scott. (I'm 5'10" so with my Spark I could have gone Medium or Large)

I have this comparison sheet I made to compare geometry with my current bike, this sheet had about 20 bikes on it at one point and it's narrowed down to these two

2018 Ibis Ripley LS Ride Review & Impressions Video-mtb_geo.jpg
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesher123 View Post
    Thank you for the input, I'll be testing them both in late Spring when I am back in SoCal ... I am looking at size large, even though I currently ride a size medium Scott. (I'm 5'10" so with my Spark I could have gone Medium or Large)

I have this comparison sheet I made to compare geometry with my current bike, this sheet had about 20 bikes on it at one point and it's narrowed down to these two

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTB_Geo.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	1170150
    Anytime! I am glad you will be able to try both. Numbers only tell one part of the story. It really takes some seat time to see what will work better for you. Keep in touch and let me know what you get and why. I am always curious to know why riders make the decisions we do. If I am lucky, ill ride the tall boy and try and do a review on it.

mtbr member
    I am always curious to know why riders make the decisions we do.
    I can tell you that I narrowed the playing field down to these 2 bikes mostly based on "industry standards". I find it frustrating that I have two 29ers at the moment and the only parts that are compatible between the 2 bikes are the pedals and the saddle; even my Shimano brakes are I-Spec B vs I-Spec II.

The MTB industry may not be able to settle on a common standard for anything but I can.

Next build must have boost spacing, 31.6 seat tube, Threaded BB. It may limit my options a little but I am okay with that... I spend a lot of money on upgrades that I would like to continue to use for years to come if I can
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Ibis was a little more skiddish on the decent portion of my test track. here are the reasons why

Nobby Nic up front didn't have the grip of the DHF. It was the Addix Speedgrip compound and I felt on some of the rock surfaces it slid a little compared to the DHF

Front End stiffness is less compared to the 5.5.

The bike simply has less travel and is also steeper than the 5.5

This would be my ideal set up for the Ibis to try and match the performance of the 5.5

1. go to a Pike or 36 in 140mm and swap out the bottom headset cup to an internal instead of external. That would get rid of the 10mm of stack and help preserve the geometry of the longer travel fork. Next I would swap out the tires. It can be any combination one prefers. Mine happens to be a DHF front and Aggressor rear.

I think this set up would really close the gap the 5.5 has on descending without compromising much on the climbing. Again both of these bikes are intended for different use. If you try too hard to make the Ripley a 5.5 it will suffer greatly from a geo standpoint climbing. My set up recommendation though would handle my test trail easily and let me search for bigger things to try. I have not spend time on the 4.5 yet, however I do have a friend that has one and I have seen him really elevate his riding and hitting things with a higher degree of difficulty. I would have to imagine for how good the 5.5 is at climbing, the 4.5 would be that much better. The 4.5 does come with a 140mm fork though so it is almost set up like I would recommend in the Ripley.
    I've never ridden the Ibis. But I just want to point out that TIRES are really the big differentiator on climbing ability imo. I completely agree with your preferred tire choice. But I've also mounted up NNs to my 5.5 and frankly it feels like a XC rig with that set up.

95% of the climbing advantage, imo, is in the tires. You can't get both ultra low rolling resiistance and traction, just the best compromise for your conditions and preferences. Trust me I've tried!

The MM Addix front combined with the fast Breakout rear is my best 'rolls fast' set up.
    And the DHF/ Aggressor is my best 'fast in the turns and stuff but rolls slower' set up.

~ take care

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I've never ridden the Ibis. But I just want to point out that TIRES are really the big differentiator on climbing ability imo. I completely agree with your preferred tire choice. But I've also mounted up NNs to my 5.5 and frankly it feels like a XC rig with that set up.

95% of the climbing advantage, imo, is in the tires. You can't get both ultra low rolling resiistance and traction, just the best compromise for your conditions and preferences. Trust me I've tried!

The MM Addix front combined with the fast Breakout rear is my best 'rolls fast' set up.
    And the DHF/ Aggressor is my best 'fast in the turns and stuff but rolls slower' set up.

~ take care
    I talked about wheels and tires but due to video length I decided to leave it out. I do agree that tires can make a difference for climbing, but even still that wheel and tire combo is pretty heavy. Also being the 2.6 version of the nobby nic means it's heaver than a 2.35 and also has more contact with the ground. I've used 2.35 nobby nic as a rear and yes it climbed quite well but lacked braking grip for decents. I would be interested tontry the bike with a lighter wheelset but a more aggressive tread. To me, rotating mass will have a greater affect on acceleration but tread will have an affect on keeping the pace while free wheeling

mtbr member
    I actually test rode Yeti,SC and Ibis...then settled on a Spot Mayhem. I never heard of them before but the same dealer that had the other three brands told me to give it a try, after one ride it blew me away.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I actually test rode Yeti,SC and Ibis...then settled on a Spot Mayhem. I never heard of them before but the same dealer that had the other three brands told me to give it a try, after one ride it blew me away.
    That has the "living" link correct? If so that's a cool bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That has the "living" link correct? If so that's a cool bike.

Spot is also reportedly reducing prices by 20_25% in 2018 too. $3200 frameset,yipes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Back2MTB View Post
    Spot is also reportedly reducing prices by 20_25% in 2018 too. $3200 frameset,yipes!
    Ouch