mtbr member

2018 Evil Wreckoning Ride Review & Impressions Video

Hello Everyone!

I got a change to do a ride review on one of my bucket list bikes in the Evil Wreckoning. Man is this a DH monster. I could honestly see myself slapping a DH fork on this and just having it by my DH bike. It was that good. Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think. If you have a Wreckoning, let me know if my thoughts mirror yours or if you have any advice on set up to make climbing a little better. Considering this as my next bike.

https://youtu.be/4IKaXwtuYMw

mtbr member

My New Wrecker Experience thus far....

New Wreckoning owner here. As of today, I have about 40 hours of trail time on my new Wrecker, and all I can say is 'WoW'. This is 'thee' most capable, dynamic, fun, confidence inspiring mtb I have ever owned hands down. I do a lot of med to long climbs where I live and, in my view, I was taking a bit of a risk buying this frameset ....as I've been sorely disappointed before by building up bikes that ended up being too much of chore to climb with, not to mention tight single track trails. Well, this time, I am utterly amazed. Not only does the thing climb incredibly well, but it also manages to grant ample prowess even on tight and techy singletrack climbs. I don't really need to say it, but it's the most enjoyable bike to ride downhill, especially the rougher it gets. But the thing that blows me away about this bike is how incredibly 'solid' the rear end feels.. There's nothing in way of rear end slop, it is totally tight, stiff, and solid. This can literally be 'felt' while in the saddle compared to all of my previous bikes.

Very glad I went with the Wrecker instead of the Following MB...which was my initial choice. This week I'm going to try running it in extra-low position. I think that the air shock on the rear makes absolute perfect sense for this particular bike for users who plan to use the Wrecker as an all-mountain trail bike, as it allows you to totally change the 'pop' level of the rear end in a second of time even on the fly. Coil on the rear of this bike would be a totally mistake unless it is going to be used mainly for park riding or predominantly downhill runs. I'm very glad I chose to stick with the stock air shock instead of going with coil at time of purchase, as I can see that this bike really benefits from the air shock if it going to be used as a trail bike. ... Running an MRP Coil fork in the front, though, and it's small bump compliance is super smooth.

Very very happy with how dynamic this bike is. I'd have never guessed that a bike with this much travel could be so nimble and capable on so many types of trails. Another thing about this bike : it is SUPER quiet. In fact, I've never had a full-suspension bike that is so entirely absent of noise. It is dead silent. Running with Project 321 silent hubs which were another nice choice I am very happy with.

Even with my bike set up as a trail bike, when I point it downhill it seems to be glued to the trail. So much so, that I named my Wrecker 'Elmer'

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  6.4 KB

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrool View Post
    New Wreckoning owner here. As of today, I have about 40 hours of trail time on my new Wrecker, and all I can say is 'WoW'. This is 'thee' most capable, dynamic, fun, confidence inspiring mtb I have ever owned hands down. I do a lot of med to long climbs where I live and, in my view, I was taking a bit of a risk buying this frameset ....as I've been sorely disappointed before by building up bikes that ended up being too much of chore to climb with, not to mention tight single track trails. Well, this time, I am utterly amazed. Not only does the thing climb incredibly well, but it also manages to grant ample prowess even on tight and techy singletrack climbs. I don't really need to say it, but it's the most enjoyable bike to ride downhill, especially the rougher it gets. But the thing that blows me away about this bike is how incredibly 'solid' the rear end feels.. There's nothing in way of rear end slop, it is totally tight, stiff, and solid. This can literally be 'felt' while in the saddle compared to all of my previous bikes.

Very glad I went with the Wrecker instead of the Following MB...which was my initial choice. This week I'm going to try running it in extra-low position. I think that the air shock on the rear makes absolute perfect sense for this particular bike for users who plan to use the Wrecker as an all-mountain trail bike, as it allows you to totally change the 'pop' level of the rear end in a second of time even on the fly. Coil on the rear of this bike would be a totally mistake unless it is going to be used mainly for park riding or predominantly downhill runs. I'm very glad I chose to stick with the stock air shock instead of going with coil at time of purchase, as I can see that this bike really benefits from the air shock if it going to be used as a trail bike. ... Running an MRP Coil fork in the front, though, and it's small bump compliance is super smooth.

Very very happy with how dynamic this bike is. I'd have never guessed that a bike with this much travel could be so nimble and capable on so many types of trails. Another thing about this bike : it is SUPER quiet. In fact, I've never had a full-suspension bike that is so entirely absent of noise. It is dead silent. Running with Project 321 silent hubs which were another nice choice I am very happy with.

Even with my bike set up as a trail bike, when I point it downhill it seems to be glued to the trail. So much so, that I named my Wrecker 'Elmer'

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  6.4 KB
    So what was it that made you switch from the Following MB to this? Did you demo both before you purchased? I am at that point right now where I am debating between a mid-travel Trail bike and a long travel trail bike. This is simply because I have about 10% of the riding that I have around me where having more than 120mm of rear travel would be beneficial. This is stuff that I do on a normal basis currently with a 130mm rear bike.

mtbr member

Some bona fide deail regarding a worthy query....

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So what was it that made you switch from the Following MB to this? Did you demo both before you purchased? I am at that point right now where I am debating between a mid-travel Trail bike and a long travel trail bike. This is simply because I have about 10% of the riding that I have around me where having more than 120mm of rear travel would be beneficial. This is stuff that I do on a normal basis currently with a 130mm rear bike.
    Hey Brah- Glad to offer you some input on this query, as I myself wanted but couldn't find whilst I, too, was in your quandary.

I initially was in fact dead-set on the Following MB. As, alike to yourself, most of the trails I tend to ride on a regular basis would do fine and well with the Following. However, I had a few people online prodding me to at least test ride a Wreckoning before I spent my $$$. So I was able to take a Wreckoning out for a short ride, afterwhich, I had the suspicion that, if need be, I could in fact produce a setup with the Wreckoning which would closely mimic the way the Following felt. I figured that for certain trails that really didn't need the extra travel of the Wreckoning, I'd just run the front and rear slightly stiffer, whilst, on 'big' rides and on road-trips to the knarly stuff, I'd then open her fully up and let the full squish out of the bag...

It was a gamble, for sure, but as it turns out, I was dead right. The reason why they designed this frameset around an air shock, is no fluke. Running this bike with the stock air shock, allows one to produce TWO kinds of bikes. Literally.

I realize that we are all unique in many respects as riders, still, I would guess that with the RIGHT frame size for your body height, you could produce the double-personality from the Wreckoning that I have just spoken about. The key is to get a frame size that will allow you to run a short stem, such that you thereby eliminate wheel-lift on the steep and techy uphill stuff. I myself am only 5'8" and a medium grants me a solid and planted front end even on very tight and steep uphill single track. Had I gone with Evil's recommended size 'small', I do not think I would have been able to 'produce' the dual type setup that I indeed seem to have managed. So sizing would be key to producing a nice ride on mild trail riding.

This is the very first big travel bike I have ever owned that actually can be set up in seconds to produce as good a set up as a 120 or so travel type bike. The bike is damned dynamic that I find myself actually astonished that it feels so nice even on relatively tame trails.

Now, I'm not suggesting that this bike climbs AS fast, per say, as a bike with 120mm of travel [or less], however, the 'feeling' of climbing with the Wrecker is very nice. In other words, you don't get the feeling that you are suffering or that your energy is being sapped. So for you, I guess it would depend on whether or not you are deadset on having a bike that focus's on uphill speed on long climbs. For this, the Following might be a better bet. But IF---per say---like me, you no longer care about worshiping the clock on the uphill climbs, then the Wreckoning is fantasticly 'nice' on the ups. It just 'feels' nice uphill. But the payoff is this : It kicks the ass of other bikes on the downs, as well as on chunky downhill singletrack. The Wreckoning provides excellent rider feedback and just seems to feel solidly planted at the front end when pushed. I've never had this before now. Before now, ALL of my front ends always felt somewhat untrustworthy, so I'm actually discovering a whole new type of 'fun' because of this bike, because, like I said, it feels like I have Elmers Glue on my tires!

This week I am going to try running it in extra-low. For 'me', I am very thankful that I made the decision to go with the Wrecker, and my yearly trip to Moab as well as Colorado will GREATLY benefit from it. Meanwhile----here at home---on a lot more tame trails, I can run it slightly stiffer and for all intents and purposes, produce a setup that is probably near equal in feeling to the Following. If I had gone with the Following, I not have access to the double personality which, it seems, CAN be produced from the Wreckoning.

One more point : Some days I'm feeling somewhat lazy, and on those days, I will actually run the Wrecker full-squish..and just sit back and enjoy relaxing on 'the couch'. Ha. So for me, it risk worked out great. Initially, I was in fact able to ride a Following for an entire day in the mountains, and don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic bike in its own right. But if you're the type of person who really is into MTB, then, like me, you WILL in fact very much appreciate this awesome, awesome bike. And also, don't listen to anyone who says that the stock air shock is best replaced with a coil shock. This would pretty much 'kill' your ability to 'produce' the type of split personality out of the Wrecker that I have thus spent ample time describing. Hope my detailed response is helpful to you Brah. I figured I give you the type of detail that 'I' myself could have used before letting go of my THREE grand!!!

May the force be with you! And may you have an Evil day!

mtbr member
    I just got a Wreckoning a few weeks ago bought used on PB. It came with both the standard RS shock and an X2 with climb switch. Initially the bike came with carbon Roam 60 wheels with XCish Specialized Ground Control tires. After two rides I came across a good deal on a used Push 11-6 coil shock in my weight so I bought that, slapped it on and also put on some more appropriate tires for this rig: Schwalbe Addix soft compound Magic Maryís on the front and Rock Razorís in the back. Both 2.35ís. Took the bike on my normal training loop which consists of 1000 foot climb. I was expecting my time to be slower than with the previous setup but in fact was a minute faster. Like stated above I donít think the Wreck is a bad climber at all with either shock. Itís quite comfortable. I was just surprised at my time with the coil. I donít have enough time on the bike with either shock to have any other definitive feedback but itís been a blast to have an opportunity to try the bike out in different configurations. I can say that the bike rides higher in its sag with the 11-6 which aids in climbing. And descending with it is crazy plush.

Oh and regarding sizing this thing is big. Iím 5-10 and have a medium with a 50mm stem. No way would I want anything larger. I like my bikes nimble and this bike is a perfect balance of nimble and push.

i like rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    Hello Everyone!

I got a change to do a ride review on one of my bucket list bikes in the Evil Wreckoning. Man is this a DH monster. I could honestly see myself slapping a DH fork on this and just having it by my DH bike. It was that good. Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think. If you have a Wreckoning, let me know if my thoughts mirror yours or if you have any advice on set up to make climbing a little better. Considering this as my next bike.

Nice review man! The Wrecker is a BA machine for sure! Your comments about also loving the Yeti SB 5.5 got me thinking... when I was shopping the Yeti and Evil where my two top choices and I demo'd both of them. I ended up going a different direction with the Nukeproof Mega 290. Compared to the Yeti and Evil, I find it has the best traits of both and is maybe even a touch more DH aggressive with the longer wheelbase and slightly slacker head angle, while also being a slightly better climber/trailbike being slightly lighter and with a better climbing seat angle. All that to say, given your taste in machines I'd recommend you demo/review one if you can get your hands on it.
    Tim M Hovey

Nukeproof Mega 290
    1950 CJ3a
    1999 BMW 540i
    1999 F350 PSD

mtbr member
    I do know someone that has a mega so I am working on that. Almost looked at one for myself too. Just got done with a race and a buddy rode a Enduro 29 which I thought would have been too Mich bike for the course but he said it climbs like a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by euroford View Post
    Nice review man! The Wrecker is a BA machine for sure! Your comments about also loving the Yeti SB 5.5 got me thinking... when I was shopping the Yeti and Evil where my two top choices and I demo'd both of them. I ended up going a different direction with the Nukeproof Mega 290. Compared to the Yeti and Evil, I find it has the best traits of both and is maybe even a touch more DH aggressive with the longer wheelbase and slightly slacker head angle, while also being a slightly better climber/trailbike being slightly lighter and with a better climbing seat angle. All that to say, given your taste in machines I'd recommend you demo/review one if you can get your hands on it.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TamiJean View Post
    Hello Everyone!

Your video is titled 2017 Evil Wreckoning. Are you reviewing the 2017 model... or 2018 model as you say in the video?

mtbr member
    When I shot the video I was under the impression I was riding the 2018 model. After further research I discovered bit was actually the 2017.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Your video is titled 2017 Evil Wreckoning. Are you reviewing the 2017 model... or 2018 model as you say in the video?
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrool View Post
    I'd have never guessed that a bike with this much travel could be so nimble and capable on so many types of trails.
    I can vouch for everything you said. I do a lot of 30-35 mile rides with 3-5k of singletrack climbs, not sit and spin fireroads. When I bought the Wreck I kept my Pivot 429sl because I figured the Wrecker wasn't going to cut if for long rides. Wrong, it's great. The Wreck is a little more to pedal on the flats and long slow climbs, but not by nearly as much as I thought it would be. Steeper climbs are easier and now I don't have to dial back the riding when it gets rough or skip drops and jumps like I did on after breaking two 429sl frames.

Paste eater

Demon Cleaner

2018 Evil Wreckoning Ride Review & Impressions Video

I read somewhere a nice summary of the Wreckoning. ďItís overrated as a DH bike and underrated as a trail bike.Ē

I love mine and while I donít really set PRs climbing (plenty down though), I find it a very comfortable and capable climber. Iím especially impressed how well it climbs with the shock in the open mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just finished my Wreckoning build a few days ago and I was able to bike yesterday at San Tan Mountain in AZ to test and tune. I just moved to AZ 6 months ago from SE Michigan and I have been biking on a 27.5 2014 Norco Sight 7.2 carbon with 120mm travel front and rear with upgraded DT Swiss wheels and SRAM GX 12 speed for the past 400 miles. The Wreckoning pedals light and is much more comfortable all round. I am still tuning and will update more as I get it where my confidence is highest.
    2014 Norco Sight 27.5 7.2 carbon FSR
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 29er HT Comp
    being built, 2018 Evil Bikes The Wreckoning.