mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Upset 2017 Specialized enduro comp chainslap

hey guys. so i bought a specialized enduro a few weeks back and the chain slap is horrible. In the lowest gear the chain is basically touching the chain stay. anyone else have this problem. thinking of buying a bigger chainring but dont know what max tooth size is. can anyone help out? cheers

passed out in your garden
    is the chain just too long?
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    nah the chain is at the right length. Its just that the 28t chainring up front doesnt provide the chain enough clearance over the chainstay

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never tried one with a 28t, that's too low IMO for the bike, 30t is the lowest I'd go on it, used sram X9 type II derailleur the entire time on an enduro and worked fine, no audible slap. Clutches wear out or need to be tightened sometimes if you have the same derailleur over a few years.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    My Enduro Elite came with a rubber thing attached but still left some gaps at each end, I covered it with some Mastic tape to stop it.

mtbr member
    What rear derailleur does that bike have? Is the clutch activated? ( you can switch the clutch "off" on Shimano derailleurs, which is mostly only useful for removing the wheel.

Wrap an old innertube around your chainstay

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Do mean the highest gear (smallest cog on the cassete) thats closest to the chainstay? My daughter runs a 28T AB Oval on a 2015 Enduro and no issues with chain slap. I went 4 links when I measured the chain from 42 and omitted the rear mech. Chain fits perfect. Running a an X01 but a disclaimer she is on a 27.5 but not sure that changes the matter.The bike is new but it 2 years old when got it and came with a stock 34 round which was way to big for my 13 year old. She races XC with a 30T AB Oval so naturally we kept her on oval. I used this tutorial to size the chain and it came out perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUybJs7uork

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a 17 Enduro Elite which came with 11 Speed GX. I don't encounter much chain slap at all. I haven't even bothered with additional stay protection. I would make sure the derailleur is engaged properly.

What gear do you notice it in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    When I picked up my 2017 Stumpjumper the chain slap was ridiculous on the first ride. I took it home, cleaned everything and it has been perfect on every ride since then. Iím guessing something was a little out of wack after it was put together. I have the sram x1 type 2.1 derailed so I donít have a clutch like the Shimano. I would look everything over, make sure that the hanger lock isnít engaged and go from there. If itís still messing up, take it to the shop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have 2017 enduro 29 and I do not have a problem with chain slap at all. Maybe something is fishy with your derailleur?