2017 Fuel EX vs 2017 Jet 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

2017 Fuel EX vs 2017 Jet 9

I am about to pull the trigger on one of these bikes in the coming weeks. The Fuel would be purchased locally and the Jet would be from online as the dealer is 2 hours away. I talked to bike bling and got a good vibe from talking to the owner about the Jet and what he can do for me. Specific model would be the Fuel EX 9 or the Jet 9 RDO in SLX build. The Jet would be at the very top of my budget. I have only been able to ride a Fuel in the parking lot while the Jet has no chance of a demo in the near future.

Jet 9
    + Carbon frame
    + prefer suspension package
    +BB put together a good package for me
    =SLX group works fine
    - Cost
    - No local dealer but my local shop used to be a Niner dealer and they work on my current Niner

Fuel EX9
    +Higher end components
    +Local shop - $200 discount (hoped for more as this would be 4th bike purchased)
    =Not sure about the rear suspension compares to the niner. I have owned a 14' Fuel 29er and not near as efficient as CVA
    -heavy wheels (although not sure how they are compared to the Jet's wheels)
    = / - Alloy frame

I am looking at about a $350 price spread between the bikes all said and done. Wish there were more reviews out...especially on the Jet.

Thoughts?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Niner would get my vote. Though i am a trek fan.

or save up and get the lower spec carbon fuel

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The rear shock on the Trek is the Re:aktiv. That won't be matched from Niner on the Jet.
    I'd look for a little more off- about 18% for cash with 0% no refund down. You may have a talk to 1/2 dozen managers to find one who will work with you to get a deal done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does the Jet 9 have internal cable routing for the dropper post? I believe the Fuel's cable routing is quite nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    Does the Jet 9 have internal cable routing for the dropper post? I believe the Fuel's cable routing is quite nice.
    Yes it does. Unfortunately the post that comes with the bike is not internal. I would be swapping for a new fox transfer that is included in the price factor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The rear shock on the Trek is the Re:aktiv. That won't be matched from Niner on the Jet.
    I'd look for a little more off- about 18% for cash with 0% no refund down. You may have a talk to 1/2 dozen managers to find one who will work with you to get a deal done.
    Your saying the Fuel will have a better rear suspension set up than the Niner? I may have to take a parking lot ride again and compare to my Rip. My deal does not charge me a deposit. As of now they offered me $200 off but I haven't told them about the price difference on the jet RDO I am looking at.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I will stop by the Trek dealer and see if they will do better on the price. So far I have bought a 2014 FEX 8 29er, 2016 superfly 5, and a trek for my daughter there. As of now a $350 difference really favors the full carbon jet.

mtbr member
    What model year is the niner, is it the newest iteration? What are you looking for out of this new bike that your current does not provide or that you are looking to change/upgrade? The review from Bike for their 2016 Bible of Bikes tests was very positive and I've ridden the older version and was quite impressed, heard the new ReAktiv shocks are even better. Also ask yourself, just how receptive will your local shop be to working on or dealing with warranty on a bike they did not sell you, be honest?

Review: Trek Fuel EX 9 29 | BIKE Magazine
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Your saying the Fuel will have a better rear suspension set up than the Niner? I may have to take a parking lot ride again and compare to my Rip. My deal does not charge me a deposit. As of now they offered me $200 off but I haven't told them about the price difference on the jet RDO I am looking at.
    The deposit isn't a charge. It's part of your negotiating position in trying to get the best price. Offering a 60% no refund deposit protects the shop from being stuck with a special ordered bike.
    So far they look at you as a cash cow with minimal discount necessary to make money of your purchases.
    The first rule is only talk money with a manager or owner.
    Figure the amount with a 18% reduction for cash + tax and make that figure your goal. Ask managers if they can work with you to get a deal done around that dollar amount. You can also ask to swap out oem parts for credit and get 20% off anything the shop orders for you into the future. All this is doable. Check several shops until you find a manager who will work with you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If I go with the niner repairs will be done at the trek dealer as I have been doing with my current niner. If I go with trek, that purchase will be done at the same dealer. Warranty with the niner will be more difficult for sure since the closest niner dealer is 2 hours away. However shimano and rock shox warranty can be done at the trek dealer.

Both these bikes are the absolute newest versions. Any reviews of last years jet are very obsolete.

My wants are 1x gearing, shorter chain stays, slacker, dropper post

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'll throw the 18 percent discount out there also. Stopping by there this afternoon to take a second look at the trek. They do have to order the EX 9 but they do have an 8 instock

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Where does the 18% figure come from? Just a starting point or is this based on the dealers margines?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Where does the 18% figure come from? Just a starting point or is this based on the dealers margines?
    At this time of year Trek would allow 15% and add 3% if you use cash. At other times next year Trek would allow 20% in summer and 30-35% end of August to clear out bikes for the new ones. Only a manager can do this.

mtbr member
    I think I will stop by the Trek dealer and see if they will do better on the price. So far I have bought a 2014 FEX 8 29er, 2016 superfly 5, and a trek for my daughter there. As of now a $350 difference really favors the full carbon jet.
    If you bought this many bikes from one dealer im sure he could give you a better price, my guy after buying 2 bikes from him is 23% off and no tax on new bikes.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I stopped by the Trek store today. I ended up getting significantly more off the price than they were going to do before. They are also setting me up tubeless. I'm going to fat tire fest in coldwater mountain in a couple weeks. They are supposed to have some deals on wheels there. I'll have to check that out.

The EX 9 is specd with the new bontrager dropper but as of late they have been shipping with a reverb. I think if it comes with a reverb I'll either get a bontrager or the fox transfer put on and sell the reverb.

mtbr member
    I am about to pull the trigger on one of these bikes in the coming weeks. The Fuel would be purchased locally and the Jet would be from online as the dealer is 2 hours away. I talked to bike bling and got a good vibe from talking to the owner about the Jet and what he can do for me. Specific model would be the Fuel EX 9 or the Jet 9 RDO in SLX build. The Jet would be at the very top of my budget. I have only been able to ride a Fuel in the parking lot while the Jet has no chance of a demo in the near future.

Jet 9
    + Carbon frame
    + prefer suspension package
    +BB put together a good package for me
    =SLX group works fine
    - Cost
    - No local dealer but my local shop used to be a Niner dealer and they work on my current Niner

Fuel EX9
    +Higher end components
    +Local shop - $200 discount (hoped for more as this would be 4th bike purchased)
    =Not sure about the rear suspension compares to the niner. I have owned a 14' Fuel 29er and not near as efficient as CVA
    -heavy wheels (although not sure how they are compared to the Jet's wheels)
    = / - Alloy frame

I am looking at about a $350 price spread between the bikes all said and done. Wish there were more reviews out...especially on the Jet.

Thoughts?
    Which tire build did you plan to go with?
    27.5+ or 29er?
    The fuel will come 140/130 if you do a 27.5+ or 130/130 if 29er

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    What model year is the niner, is it the newest iteration? What are you looking for out of this new bike that your current does not provide or that you are looking to change/upgrade? The review from Bike for their 2016 Bible of Bikes tests was very positive and I've ridden the older version and was quite impressed, heard the new ReAktiv shocks are even better. Also ask yourself, just how receptive will your local shop be to working on or dealing with warranty on a bike they did not sell you, be honest?

Review: Trek Fuel EX 9 29 | BIKE Magazine
    You can't compare that year fuel with the new 2017 fuels. They are very much different

The rear shock setup is NICE on both years

As for which has a better rear shock etc Niner or Trek. You won't feel they pro's in the parking lot.
    I have ridden a lot of treks and own a lot. They rear end is PLUSH and setup nicely
    I am waiting for my shop to get me a few Niners to demo.
    I know Intense's rear end climbs better and is more planted on DH over the Trek. but has less pedal efficiency on flat ground.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    29er build. New bike should be in end of the week.