2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp vs. 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp vs. 2014 Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon?

Hi-

I've been hardtailing for a while, but I'm new to the whole 29er/FSR world. Never had a carbon bike. Moderately aggressive rider, New England, usually shorter rides, lots of roots/rocks but I like fast hardpack, too. Haven't done much jumping. 5'11/160.

Local shop is offering 2016 Stumpjumper FSR Comp for $2750 on sale and the 2014 SJ Carbon for $2899. The bikes both feel pretty similar to me. $150 significant, but not that big a deal to me,

Any guidance, especially from anyone who's ridden both would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Brian

Crash Dummy In Training
    From the specs I found online the are pretty close component wise.
    If it was me and the 2014 is brand new left over stock with full warranty I would grab the 2014 Carbon.
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

Rent this space for $
    Without a doubt, the 2014. I just came off an aluminum FSR Comp that I built a year ago and absolutely loved and expected to be on it for years to come....then a brand new 2014 Carbon Evo frame with warranty fell into my lap quite unexpectedly for uber cheap and I had to do it. Built it up from scratch with nothing but top of the line new components just like I had with the previous Comp. The Carbon frame is hugely significant in feel and performance. HUGE. I don't know that I could go back to AL. Certainly not in the same model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For me, anyway, the 2014 geometry is very close to being spot-on.

The 2016 geometry has changed quite a bit: shorter top tube, less standover.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Chainstay 450 and ht angle 69 vs 437 and 67.5 are major differences in geo between the old and new bikes.
    You should demo on trail by renting them if necessary to get the info you need.
    140/135 travel is a lot and maybe your trails don't need that much if you can't notice a difference between these bikes.
    A lower travel bike like a Fuel Ex may be a better match to your terrain. Spec hasn't updated the Camber yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I would take the newer geometry of the '16 Stumpy over the carbon bling of the '14 irrespective of price. I find geometry is markedly more important than a reasonable difference in components or what a frame is made from.

Ludicrous Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Without a doubt, the 2014. I just came off an aluminum FSR Comp that I built a year ago and absolutely loved and expected to be on it for years to come....then a brand new 2014 Carbon Evo frame with warranty fell into my lap quite unexpectedly for uber cheap and I had to do it. Built it up from scratch with nothing but top of the line new components just like I had with the previous Comp. The Carbon frame is hugely significant in feel and performance. HUGE. I don't know that I could go back to AL. Certainly not in the same model.
    Why didn't you just buy a blank carbon frame and build it up instead of overpaying for the stump name, stripping everything off the frame and building it back up?

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by tualmbr View Post
    Why didn't you just buy a blank carbon frame and build it up instead of overpaying for the stump name, stripping everything off the frame and building it back up?
    LBS/Factory support has a lot of value.

As much as the Carbon stumpy is awesome, I'd only recommend that if you want a bike that is maximally stable at speed (which that would be)... the rims, brakes, and to a lesser extent Revelation fork doesn't leap out at me as amazing, but the Rev fork is common between those.

I'd consider the $150 handled just by having a dropper post on the '16 bike - if anything I'd consider the '14 Carbon to be the slightly more expensive bike... the newer bike comes with better brakes (Deore) and better rims (TraverseFatties - 29mm internal, just on a low spoke count), so if you prefer the geometry of the newer one, I'd argue you're getting a better value. I like the Butcher out front better on the new one, and a lot of details like a 750mm (vs 720mm) wider bar, 10/5mm more travel (F/R), and the X9 Type2 being more big-granny-cog friendly all lean towards the '16 being nicer, with the biggest factor still being the updated (lower, slacker, tighter CS) geometry.
    I'd go with the '16 in your situation, unless your LBS can sweeten the deal on that '14 to make it a better ugprade propositon.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by tualmbr View Post
    I bought a factory new '14 SJ Expert Carbon Evo FRAME. Everything that went on it was new except for my wheels and newer KS Lev seat post. I sold the Comp immediately after completing the build.

mtbr member
    While the 2014 is a killer bike IME, it's already going to be a generation behind at this point. If it was any other year than a redesign, it would be a no brainer. However, consider how people felt about the 2008-2011 design the last few years, and that's how the 2012-2015 design is going to be regarded shortly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Hey thanks for the help, everyone. Turned out that with proper fitting I didn't get on first visit, the 2014 carbon wouldn't work well for me. Took what I learned from you guys and and rode some more bikes and am now trying to figure out a way to get a decent deal on a '14 or '15 SJ Evo carbon 29er. Nice bike!

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Cactus Cuddler
    Just take the time to price in some of the things like the Dropper Post, Tires, Brakes, and Wheelset -- the Butcher/Slaughter tires are great in 2Bliss ready, the dropper is a $300 value, especially if it comes with the SRL; and the newer 29mm internal Traverse Fattie wheels are such a huge step on in performance that I'd argue they're worth more (especially with the newer tires) than the gain in travel that's happened over time on the SJ-FSR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sorry(newbie) - when you say take the time to price in the things you mention, I'm not sure what you mean. In comparing the '14 and the '15? They look almost the same in terms of those specs

-http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bikes/archive/2014/stumpjumper-fsr/stumpjumper-fsr-expert-carbon-evo
    - Specialized Bicycle Components

Or do you mean in comparing a regular comp vs. the EVOs I mentioned? Or something else? Thanks.