2015 Trek Fuel EX P1 Upgrade- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

2015 Trek Fuel EX P1 Upgrade

Iím getting ready to upgrade my 2015 Trek Fuel EX bike and I have a couple of questions. Please forgive my lack of knowledge because Iím learning as I go. My bike has quite a bit of riding time on it and the drive system needs to be upgraded and maybe the forks also to get a little more travel. I plan on keeping the bike so I know Iím going to spend more than I should, but I do like the bike a lot.

What does boost and non boost mean?

Iím planning to upgrade to a SRAM Eagle DUB Groupset and my bottom bracket seems fine with no movement up or down or side to side. Iím not sure about what is compatible with my 2015 Fuel EX. There are so many different set-ups that itís confusing to a novice like myself. The group set I want to buy comes with a crank set, but I donít know if I need to change the bottom bracket for it to work? Any help on this would be appreciated.

My my bike has Fox 32 forks and Iíd like to move up to a Fox 36 Fork. I think Trek takes the tapered stem fork, but Iím not sure about that.

Iím 5í9Ē tall and I think the 170mm crank size is right for me, but maybe the 175mm is better?

Any help from the more knowledgeable members would be greatly appreciated since Iím still trying to figure all of this out. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Boost is a hub spacing standard.

Boost has a 148mm axle and non-boost has a 142mm axle

It's a 5 year old BB, change it.

What travel are you at right now and what travel do you want to put on it?

Crank length is a personal preference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the info. My bike was a project one Fuel EX in the bike dealer showroom and I saw it and liked the way it looked and road, but I really donít know the specifics about it since I didnít order it. I wish I did. What I do know is the drive system is worn and needs to be updated. I donít compete because of my age, but I love to ride trails and get my exercise riding my bike for health reasons primarily. I wish I could buy a new high end bike, but upgrading this one makes more sense financially.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    It's still a great bike.

I checked the specs and it came with a 120mm fork, it may prove best value to send it away to Fox (or their service agent) for a rebuild and refresh. IMO a 36 is overkill on a '14FEX.

I wouldn't go more than 130mm travel, in which case a 34 would be a better choice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    For what itís worth, I have a 17 Trek Fuel EX5 that I bought new. It came with a 130mm front fork and I swapped it out for a DVO Diamond 150mm. The difference is night and day in improvement. I have a Niner RIP Carbon frame, carbon wheels, carbon bars, etc and I still take the Trek out about 1/2 the time. Love that bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on the 34 fork with 130 mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had the same bike with a Fox Factory 34 at 140mm instead of the 120mm stock and it was excellent. Granted, I pushed it beyond its pay grade but it was excellent everywhere.
    130mm is a great spot to land on though.

Unless you're planning on sending it through the roughest trails and jumps I'd stick with Fox 34 / Rockshox Pike. Anything more is overkill.
    You do need a tapered steerer but beware of going boost on that fork as it requires a boost wheel (110mm X 15mm)
    Or a boost hub laced to the front rim (costly)
    Or boost spacers (search on eBay)

Depending on your wheels it's questionable if it'll provide any value.

If you're getting a new bike it'll be boost (148mm) or superboost (157mm) rear spacing depending on what bike you get (sorry for the additional confusion on hub spacing).

Definitely get the bike serviced if it needs it. After 5 years getting the suspension and bearings checked would give it a freshener.