2014 Horsethief vs ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2014 Horsethief vs ?

I'm looking to get a new all around 29er trail bike and I've fixated on the 2014 Salsa Horsethief but before I pull the trigger I'm wondering, what are my other choices?

Here's what I like about the Horsethief, short chainstays (17.2), great rear suspension (DW split-pivot), Slack HT angle (68), 120mm R 130mm F suspension. What I don't like, component spec (I don't care much for sram), not terribly light (28-30 lbs for my XL frame size). I think the price range is in line with similar bikes but cheaper would be nice.

What other bikes should I consider?

mtbr member
    Devinci Atlas with a 140 fork build.... my next bike, most likely. I like the fact that they have a lifetime warranty on their carbon frame. You'll have to compare the spec and price, as I don't know. Split pivot, even shorter CS, 34 fork, 110mm rear travel. Worth a look. Big thread about them somewhere below.

I like the HT, on paper, but don't like the 32 fork.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Sram XX1 is excellent stuff. Can't comment on others but I agree after xx1, i vote Shimano.

The new HT is nice. I got a few good rides in on it (demo) and i really enjoyed it. It's decently fast, playful and really steers well.

Some bikes that I've demo'd that you should check out are the SB95c, Camber Evo, Tallboy LTc, RIP9 (Alloy). Ripley felt more xc to me but is also a very nice bike.

All these bikes were great, but I didn't love the Tallboy.

I've heard you should also check out the Kona Process, Intense and Davinci trail bike offerings.

I ended up getting the Carbon Camber Evo.

tg
    mtbr member
    Check out the Satori.....super fun bike here in Colorado.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Horsethief vs ?-downsized_0802131005.jpg  

2014 Horsethief vs ?-downsized_0908131059.jpg  

Short-Change-Hero
    If you are looking to build something on your own you can't beat the price of the Hammerhead Thumper for the frameset. Everything seems like the Kona Satori and should make for a great bike (haven't heard any nit-picks yet). I am building mine up as a similar build to the Horsethief/Satori. I am looking at an X-Fusion Slide/Trace that is internally adjustable from 120-140mm so I can play with the geometries.

Guys have hit the most major others in there expect for the new Felt Virtue Nine (29er) series. The recent Enduro Compar-O done here gave it one of their budget bike awards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Isn't the Horsethief being blown out at ridiculously low prices at places like Universal Cycles? Price alone would make it an easy purchase.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Isn't the Horsethief being blown out at ridiculously low prices at places like Universal Cycles? Price alone would make it an easy purchase.
    I haven't looked, but I would guess those are the '13 bikes. The 2014 is totally redesigned, and a completely different bike, just the same name.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I haven't looked, but I would guess those are the '13 bikes. The 2014 is totally redesigned, and a completely different bike, just the same name.
    Ah, yes. My mistake. Well, at least I didn't realize how much in changes had happened between year models. Didn't Salsa completely redesign the bike for 2013? That didn't last long.

Edit: My memory could be working on internet time where I thought the redesign rolled out in 2013. Likely that Salsa announced the DW link about a year ago and Salsa made some changes for 2013, and I put them together in my head. Carry on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tg View Post
    Check out the Satori.....super fun bike here in Colorado.
    Nice, looks great!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 09:58 PM.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Devinci Atlas with a 140 fork build.... my next bike, most likely. I like the fact that they have a lifetime warranty on their carbon frame. You'll have to compare the spec and price, as I don't know. Split pivot, even shorter CS, 34 fork, 110mm rear travel. Worth a look. Big thread about them somewhere below.

I like the HT, on paper, but don't like the 32 fork.
    There is a shorter shaft for the 150mm Solo Air Pike that will reduce the travel to 130mm IIRC that would make the Pike a perfect for the HT.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The HT also caught my eye. Really nice looking bike. Ended up selling my Fuel 29er for a RIP 9 after a demo.

Maybe take a look at a Camber EVO, Fuel EX 29er?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC