2012 Trek X Caliber Owner Upgrades- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

2012 Trek X Caliber Owner Upgrades

I bought the XCal at the beginning of the summer. 800 miles later and i'm starting to think about making some upgrades. Just wanted to see what others have done to theirs and why? Performance upgrades? Weight cutting? Cosmetic/appearance enhancements? Changes due to part failure/wear?

I'm looking at getting new wheels and brakes. Any suggestions from owners or anyone else? Anything else I might want to change?

banned
    Apr 2009
    Well upgrading can be addictive. I built a Paragon frame 3 years ago, then upgraded everything constantly. AND I am not done yet--I am going to put a tapered XX fork on my Superfly (and some new wheels and brakes.) Later upgrade the stem and post also (It Never stops!!!)---But that is good thing because you can really feel the difference with each new component (especially when you do a build from the ground up!!)

--But yeah start with the wheels first!!
    Last edited by 247; 08-29-2012 at 08:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does it have Elixir 1 brakes? I've had a quick test of those on the '13 Cobia and I can confidently say that the difference between them and the SLX brakes on my '12 Superfly AL Elite is like night and day. So best bang for your buck upgrade is right there. Other than that, I guess it's personal preference. What do you think are the weak or uncomfortable points in your bike? Wheels are $$ so if your current wheels are tubeless ready I'd do the tyres before changing the wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like the star ratchets upgraded to 36 in a Dt Swiss rear hub. 340 is cheaper off ebay than 240 and takes changeable end caps. Super Comp spokes and an ArchEX rim make a strong wheel with good inner width. A light front hub-- ZTR, Hope, etc. with changeable end caps and the same spokes and rim makes a set you can lace up and save on. Lighter tires like RaRa performance or Spec Fasttracks depending on terrain should take some weight off.

mtbr member
    All of my upgrades were done because I just couldn't pass up some of the deals I stumbled upon! Drive train and brakes to stay stock for now. They are more than good enough for me.

2011 RXL wheelset (for $400 and almost brand new )
    WTB Valcon seat
    M520 pedals
    ESI chunky grips
    Cutter carbon cage and a Bontrager RL cage.
    29-1 2.20 tires into tubeless.
    Fork steerer was cut down also.
    Sunline V-One 762mm wides bars with a Truativ T20 75mm stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Trek X Caliber Owner Upgrades-untitled-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice setup there, do you fit nice with that wide handlebar and short stem, is it better on rough trails, I m thinking do the same. Short stem wide bars on xc bike.

Now I have 660mm bars with almost 20mm rise that I don't like very much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The one thing I want to upgrade on my xcal is the brakes. Don't like the elixir 1's.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ocean_29 View Post
    Nice setup there, do you fit nice with that wide handlebar and short stem, is it better on rough trails, I m thinking do the same. Short stem wide bars on xc bike.

Now I have 660mm bars with almost 20mm rise that I don't like very much.
    I love the wide bars they feel nice and more stable on rough parts, more leverage also. It will take maybe 1 or 2 rides to get used to them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I picked my X-Cal up in June and have converted it to a 1x10. The drivetrain stock was kinda overkill for upstate SC, where everything is up or down, and not for very long.

Changes:

1. Shortened handlebar, add bar ends
    2. Azonic 420 platform
    3. Raceface 32T Single ring + BBG Bashwich
    4. SRAM X9 type 2 rear derailleur, short cage
    5. Tubeless conversion--Bontrager TLR Expert 29.4, 2.3" up front, TLR Team 29.2, 2.1" rear.
    *The Bontrager system is awesome! The TLR wheel/ rim strip/ tire system is flawless, and I am using Stan's tubeless valve stems (couldn't find the Bonty)

Bike weighs in at 27.2 lbs, that's with 6-8 oz of Stan's Tire Sealant.

The tubeless setup (wide knobby up front and the aggressive center tread rear) + the type 2 rear mech completely changed the bike and how it performs. Its also quiet, to the point going downhill all I hear are the shifter/brake cables slapping against the bike. The Expert 1 that came stock suck, go tubeless and change that out first, you will be amazed!!

I know a lot of people don't seem to like the Elixir 1's, but I haven't had any issues with them so far so maybe I am lucky

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ASiameseCat View Post
    All of my upgrades were done because I just couldn't pass up some of the deals I stumbled upon! Drive train and brakes to stay stock for now. They are more than good enough for me.

2011 RXL wheelset (for $400 and almost brand new )
    WTB Valcon seat
    M520 pedals
    ESI chunky grips
    Cutter carbon cage and a Bontrager RL cage.
    29-1 2.20 tires into tubeless.
    Fork steerer was cut down also.
    Sunline V-One 762mm wides bars with a Truativ T20 75mm stem.

How does the front end feel with the shorter stem ? Is it easier to lift the front wheel now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbfire View Post
    How does the front end feel with the shorter stem ? Is it easier to lift the front wheel now?
    I would say that going tubeless and getting a new wheelset makes it easier on lifting the front end up over the stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrich73 View Post
    I picked my X-Cal up in June and have converted it to a 1x10. The drivetrain stock was kinda overkill for upstate SC, where everything is up or down, and not for very long.

Changes:

1. Shortened handlebar, add bar ends
    2. Azonic 420 platform
    3. Raceface 32T Single ring + BBG Bashwich
    4. SRAM X9 type 2 rear derailleur, short cage
    5. Tubeless conversion--Bontrager TLR Expert 29.4, 2.3" up front, TLR Team 29.2, 2.1" rear.
    *The Bontrager system is awesome! The TLR wheel/ rim strip/ tire system is flawless, and I am using Stan's tubeless valve stems (couldn't find the Bonty)

Bike weighs in at 27.2 lbs, that's with 6-8 oz of Stan's Tire Sealant.

The tubeless setup (wide knobby up front and the aggressive center tread rear) + the type 2 rear mech completely changed the bike and how it performs. Its also quiet, to the point going downhill all I hear are the shifter/brake cables slapping against the bike. The Expert 1 that came stock suck, go tubeless and change that out first, you will be amazed!!

I know a lot of people don't seem to like the Elixir 1's, but I haven't had any issues with them so far so maybe I am lucky
    Thanks for sharing your bike! I'm hoping to get an X-Cal in the next couple weeks and I had planned to set it up nearly exactly as you have. I like the idea of 1x10 simplicity and the short cage Type 2 rear derailleur makes sense. I'm tempted to go w/o a bash but they really don't weigh that much... I've heard good success with a SS chainring, type 2 rear derailleur and no chain retention device.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Have a 12' X-Cal as well. Bike started out 28lbs on the nose in a 19" frame. I have upgraded wheels to Stans ZTR/Arch Ex, tires to a set of Maxxis Ikons, seat post to a Thomson Masterpiece, put on Eggbeater 1's pedals, and just bought a MRP 1x to convert it to a 1x10 as well. Haven't installed the mrp 1x yet, but with the current mods the bike is down to 25.5lbs. Expecting to drop another .5 to .75 lbs w/ the 1x conversion.

The biggest difference has been the wheelset hands down. That would be the first mod I'd do if money allows. I have also had the chance to ride a bike that had Shimano SLX brakes and though they were nice I can't say they were really an improvement over the Elixir1's. I was scared the E1's were gonna be horrible from all the reviews I've seen people post, but I've had zero problems with them. They work just fine for me and won't do anything with them till (if) I have problems w/ them.

mtbr member

new wheelset

All,
    I have a 2012 x-cal
    1500 miles..
    Snapped 2 spokes yesterday and want to upgrade the wheelset..
    Let me know what you think is a strong, light wheel set..
    Dropping tomorrow at LBS.. but will purchase a set in the near future..
    Last edited by davidrode; 05-12-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: adding picture

Members who have read this thread: 0