2012 Jamis exile comp or 2013 GT Zaskar 9r Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2012 Jamis exile comp or 2013 GT Zaskar 9r Elite

greetings,

i have recently decided to buy my first mountain having just moved back to jamaica from london where i had little time or space for a mountain bike.

i'm looking for an entry level bike to see if i will pursue the sport further, but one that can also grow with me - my initial search took me to the $1000 range. most of my riding will be on the road - albeit 'jamaican' road, so rough surface, pot holes, gravel - up & down hill (kingston isnt flat) but eventually i would like to progress to some trail riding. none of it competitive. my main objective is to get out in to nature to decompress and to get some exercise and get fit.

i was about to pull the trigger on the Jamis Exile Comp 2012 but then made the "mistake" of searching the web one last time when i found a great deal on the GT Zaskar 9r Elite (not the carbon). essentially i can get both bikes for the same price - the GT is $60 bucks more expensive because of a higher delivery cost.

I'd like to get some general feedback from you guys as to which bike you think i should go for - is one significantly 'better' than the other when it comes to components, does anybody have either of the bikes and what are your thoughts on it.

Finally, I am 6'2 weigh in at around 190 lbs (hoping for this to drop obviously) and wear inseam 34" trousers. can someone explain to me what the most important aspect of a bikes geometry is... obviously clearance of the horizontal bar but is there anything else?

nuff respect in advance for any info and assistance.

ride good...

Specs of the Jamis:

Frame Kinesis 7005 double-butted aluminum main tubes,1.5 - 1 1/8 tapered head tube, crown-clearing S-curved oversized down tube, low-standover sloping top tube, replaceable derailleur hanger,
    Fork Rock Shox XC32 TK 29, coil spring with external preload & rebound, TurnKey lockout, 32mm stanchions, aluminum steerer, 100mm travel
    Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 Zero-Stack internal cup, for tapered head tube, 30mm shim stack
    Wheels WTB SX19 29 eyeletted rims, 32H, Formula Hi-Lo flange sealed bearing 6-bolt disc hubs, 14g stainess steel spokes
    Tires Geax AKA, 29 x 2.2
    Derailleurs SRAM X7 long cage rear, SRAM X5 34.9mm dual pull front
    Shiftlevers SRAM X5 trigger, 9-speed
    Chain KMC Z99
    Cassette SRAM PG-950, 9-speed, 11-34
    Crankset SRAM S800 PowerSpline, 44/32/22, 170mm (15), 175mm (17-21)
    BB Set SRAM PowerSpline BB
    Pedals Flats, alloy body/steel outer cage
    Brakeset Hayes Dyno Comp hydraulic disc brakes with 180mm front & 160mm rear rotors
    Handlebar Jamis XC alloy riser, 31.8 x 8 x 13mm rise x 660mm
    Stem Jamis XC alloy threadless, 7 rise x 90mm (15), 100mm (17), 110mm (19) and 120mm (21)
    Grips Velo Kraton, medium diameter
    Seat Post Jamis OS alloy micro-adjust, 31.6 x 400mm, with alloy QR clamp
    Saddle Jamis XC with pressure relief channel, cromo rails
    Sizes 15, 17, 19, 21
    Color Scorched Earth
    Weight 31.00 lbs

Specs of GT:

SPECIFICATION :

Frame:
    NEW GT Speed Metal alloy Hydroformed(TT,DT,CS), Triple Triangle Frame Construction, w/ Post Mount Disc Brake, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, Forged BB, HT, Dropouts, Tapered 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" HT w/ 9R Specific Geometry
    Fork:
    Rock Shox Recon Gold TK 29 Solo Air, 100mm Travel, w/ Rebound Adjust, PushLoc Remote Lockout, & Tapered Alloy Steerer
    Front Derailleur:
    Shimano SLX M675
    Rear Derailleur:
    Shimano Deore XT Shadow M781
    Number of Gears:
    Shifters:
    Shimano SLX M670, Rapid Fire
    Chainset:
    Shimano SLX M675
    Chainrings:
    40/28
    Bottom Bracket:
    Shimano SLX
    Cassette:
    Shimano HG62, 11-36 Tooth, 10-speed
    Chain:
    KMC X10
    Front Brake:
    Formula RX w/ 160mm Rotor
    Rear Brake:
    Formula RX w/ 160mm Rotor
    Brake Levers:
    Formula RX
    Handlebars:
    All Terra Flat Top Riser, Double Butted AL6061, 690mm Width, 15mm Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Stem:
    Easton EA50, 1-1/8" Threadless, 8 degrees Rise, 31.8mm Clamp
    Headset:
    FSA No.42 ACB, Integrated, 1.5" Lower, 1-1/8" Upper
    Grips:
    EVA Foam Superlight GT Wings w/ Waffle
    Rims:
    Alex MD19 Disc, Double Wall, 32H
    Front Hub:
    All Terra Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc, w/ Quick Release
    Rear Hub:
    All Terra Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc Cassette, w/ Quick Release
    Spokes:
    14/15G DB Stainless
    Front Tyre:
    Maxxis Aspen, 29"x2.1", 60TPI, Folding Bead
    Rear Tyre:
    Maxxis Aspen, 29"x2.1", 60TPI, Folding Bead
    Saddle:
    Fizik Tundra2 Mg
    Seatpost:
    Crankbrothers Cobalt 1
    Seat Binder:
    All Terra Alloy Bolt-on

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So far based on specs alone I'd go with the GT, but not knowing the price of each I can't really say if your budget is $1000 I'd say you should also look into the Goblin from Airborne.

Airborne Bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thanks for quick response. i looked at the airborne which would run me 1200 bucks.

i can get either one of these for around $700

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    also, what is your take on the brakes? jamis is hydraulic, GT mechanical. but i read that good mechanical are better than avg hydraulic...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think the Formula RX brakes listed in the GT's specs are hydraulic. Have those been switched to something else on the bike you're considering buying?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    no, nothing changed. for some reason i just assumed they were mechanical - must have mis read when i googled them.

my ignorance, hence why i'm trying to get feedback on this forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    never mind... i just discovered the GT is a Scam .

As they say, if it is to good to be true it cant be. sucks. guess the Jamis it is...

thanks for your help guys...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looking at the specs I'd say GT wins easily

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    yes, i would prefer the GT, but it is almost double the price and beyond my budget unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by du_dreas View Post
    never mind... i just discovered the GT is a Scam .

As they say, if it is to good to be true it cant be. sucks. guess the Jamis it is...

thanks for your help guys...
    I was just about to mention that the price seemed suspiciously low for the GT unless it was a used bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    what is the general consensus on the jamis..? will it achieve what i want..? its $659 so on the surface seems like a great deal and will allow me to come in at the$1K mar including accessories...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks for quick response. i looked at the airborne which would run me 1200 bucks.

i can get either one of these for around $700
    Well in that case your budget isn't $1000.....
    Look at the Seeker or the Guardian or look at their scratch and dents.

Airborne Bicycles

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    Well in that case your budget isn't $1000.....
    Look at the Seeker or the Guardian or look at their scratch and dents.

Airborne Bicycles
    well, it is, but i figure if i can get an older model $1000 range bike i should be ok. but if i end up spending $1000 on a bike, out of the goblin or a 2012 GT Zaskar with below specs, which would be the better spec'd bike?

2012 GT Spec's:

Fork RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air w/ 100mm travel, QR, Adj. Rebound, Turn- Key Lockout
    Shifters SRAM X7
    Brakes Elixir 3
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
    Crankset SRAM S1000 2.2 39/26T
    Wheels All Terra Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc 32H
    Tires Maxxis Aspen
    Saddle WTB Silverado
    Stem Syncros

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    well, it is, but i figure if i can get an older model $1000 range bike i should be ok. but if i end up spending $1000 on a bike, out of the goblin or a 2012 GT Zaskar with below specs, which would be the better spec'd bike?

2012 GT Spec's:

Fork RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air w/ 100mm travel, QR, Adj. Rebound, Turn- Key Lockout
    Shifters SRAM X7
    Brakes Elixir 3
    Front Derailleur SRAM X7
    Rear Derailleur SRAM X9
    Crankset SRAM S1000 2.2 39/26T
    Wheels All Terra Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc 32H
    Tires Maxxis Aspen
    Saddle WTB Silverado
    Stem Syncros

I'm a bit confused by the question, so the Goblin is in your realm? I saw a scratch and dent model for $1000. If you go that route I'd say that the Reba alone on the Goblin is what pulls it ahead of the GT. The only area where I'd say the GT is better is the x9 in the rear. I like the chain rings on the GT, but the crank is better on the Goblin. The brakes are clearly better on the Goblin as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mavtek View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the question, so the Goblin is in your realm? I saw a scratch and dent model for $1000. If you go that route I'd say that the Reba alone on the Goblin is what pulls it ahead of the GT. The only area where I'd say the GT is better is the x9 in the rear. I like the chain rings on the GT, but the crank is better on the Goblin. The brakes are clearly better on the Goblin as well.
    Yes, the Goblin would be in my realm, especially the scratch & dent which i saw also. so you answered exactly what i was wondering. my budget is/was $1000 but i considered the jamis because it is a $1100 MSRP available for $659 so i thought it was a deal and i could save some cash, being new to the sport and all. but if i am spending $1000 it was going to be the 2012 GT, or now the Airborne.

thanks for the info.