2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er vs Expert 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2011 Stumpy FSR Comp 29er vs Expert 29er

After much research, I am set to follow-up with my lbs on the purchase a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I was considering the Comp . . . but after hearing so much about the Expert and the Brain, I am now wondering . . .

Financially, the Comp is a little tough, but will I later regret not spending up ($800) more for the Expert and the Brain rear shock (will the other components make for a significantly better riding experience)? (I will be riding up and down hill fairly equally, 3-4' drops/jumps, some road and country gravel road use).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    There was a lengthy thread on this comparison not so long ago (1 month), and a few more before that - the consensus seems go with the FSR brain as not only being a higher spec bike, is more versatile and a better performer

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Expert for sure IMO.

mtbr member
    But if the Comp is already a stretch, then don't get the Expert. Either wait until the end of the year for a better price or save up some more.

The upgrade is worth it for the extra $$, but not if you already are tight on the lower price model.

Just my perspective.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonesetter2004
    There was a lengthy thread on this comparison not so long ago (1 month), and a few more before that - the consensus seems go with the FSR brain as not only being a higher spec bike, is more versatile and a better performer

Any links to said threads? I would like to read the discussions. Thanks.

Handmade in Switzerland
    I prefer the comp. I ordered it last week.

I don't like the Brain on the Stumpjumpers because it rides less plush and feels bad through fast corners. For me, the Triad damper is cool and I like the propedal position for climbing. That's of course my opinion

Also the fork and wheels are the same I guess.

I found this statement:

"The Brain rear shock on the Expert is a nice touch and it meets my desires of a tighter pedaling bike. It feels much more Ďopení then the Epicís version. Is having the Brain a big deal on this bike, like it is on the Epic? Well, maybe not. For the intentions of the FSR, I can see living with the bike as a Pro Pedal set-up without the Brain. In fact, some buyers may prefer it."

Regards mat

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/07/...mper-fsr-29er/

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey3
    After much research, I am set to follow-up with my lbs on the purchase a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29er. I was considering the Comp . . . but after hearing so much about the Expert and the Brain, I am now wondering . . .

Financially, the Comp is a little tough, but will I later regret not spending up ($800) more for the Expert and the Brain rear shock (will the other components make for a significantly better riding experience)? (I will be riding up and down hill fairly equally, 3-4' drops/jumps, some road and country gravel road use).

Thanks!
    The Brain is nice in that it takes the fiddling out of getting the bike to be all things to all pedalers. It is like having some little gremlin hanging on your rear shock flipping the Pro Pedal on and off when he sees a bump in the trail. Hard to get that feeling with the Triad.

But on a Comp, If you are on the road, lock out the Triad and be happy. If you are on gravel roads, use a firm-ish Pro Pedal setting and go fast. Ready to rumble? Open up the Triad and go. If it really is a hardship, then get a Comp and ride happy with that money under the mattress.

However, if you think you will do the long term "I can always upgrade later to the Expert level bike...Command Post, etc" then just save up and do it the first time. It will likely cost more in the end to do it bit by bit and you will never have the Brain anyway.
    Last edited by mtroy; 08-16-2010 at 07:41 AM.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

turtles make me hot
    Not exactly a direct comparison, but this is what I've learned. I had an 08 expert with the Specialized Brainshock. I cracked the frame. They gave me an 09 expert which came with the Triad. They also gave me an 08 swingarm so I could use the Brainshock on the 09 frame. The first couple of rides, I felt no difference between the Brain and Triad. I am by no means a professional rider, so I felt I would probably never notice.
    Yesterday, I got out to my favorite trail. Halfway through, I realized the Triad was not as seamless as I'm able to get the Brainshock to feel. As soon as the Brain gets back from being serviced, I'll mount it on the bike and ride it again. I'm able to make the bike feel invisible under me with the Brain. The Triad isn't as adjustable.
    I like turtles

Members who have read this thread: 0