2011 Scott Scale RC- Mtbr.com
    Your Best Friend

2011 Scott Scale RC

It's in!!! I went down to the shop today to take some pics and to pick her up. We had fun building it and I feel like a proud new papa. I will not be providing any ride reports in the near future due to my reluctance to put this bike out in our horrible weather. Sorry for that.

The weight came in at 21lbs, 9 oz for an XL, without pedals. This is bone stock. As you will see, there is some definite weight to be lost in easy areas. The wheels are tanks and should be swapped out immediately or kept as training only wheels. The rear definitely only clears the 2.2's. As it is, the burrs on the new tires hit the stays. If you look closely you'll see that the front XX rings are 39t/26t and not the 42t/28t as advertised. A plus in my book. Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Here's the pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0136.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0139.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0140.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0141.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0142.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0143.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0144.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0145.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0146.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0147.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    A few more. If you look close, you might have noticed that the rear is a 10mm axle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0148.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0149.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0150.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0151.jpg  

2011 Scott Scale RC-2010_1231my2newbabies0152.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    I have to give props to my LBS in Saratoga Springs, Utah...Epic Biking...for working so hard to get this bike here and built within my budget. Thanks Dan.

Expert Crasher
    Nice....for the go-fast days when you don't need the Sultan!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    The weight came in at 21lbs, 9 oz for an XL, without pedals. This is bone stock.
    Don't let Spinning Lizard see that.

Scott lists the RC at 21.15 lbs bone stock for their website (most likely a size medium as most companies use to post their weights). And your size XL looks sweet. Enjoy.

Could it be that Scott is coming in at their listed weights for the 2011 line up?

BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    is that the wheel weight with or with out the cassett.... bike looks great

Broke college student
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by donny55
    is that the wheel weight with or with out the cassett.... bike looks great
    If so I want his ~100g MTB cassette and his weightless freehub body
    I like beer.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    Price?

Cars Are Evil
    Too bad the rear tire clearance is so small.

Your Best Friend
    @Vermont29er- I'm not very worried about the rear tire clearance, the is an XC/Endurance race rocket and it isn't a SS so I probably will never want for anything larger. I will be trying 2.25 RaRa's and the new Maxis Ikon. I'll post up pics when I try them out but my intent is to wear out the RoRo's first.

@donny55- It is most definitely W/O the cassette. The rims do have a rim strip in them to set up tubeless but even that doesn't justify the weight. These wheels will make a good, burly (for XC) training wheelset. I've already got a set of Stans Crests with American classic hubs on the way.

@hollywood33- All I can tell you is that retail is $6300. . I do business with the local shop and secured a screaming deal that precluded me from purchasing any other bike. My second choice was the Cannondale flash but that was only for the ride quality of the frame. The big C just didn't offer that bang for the buck on components. XO? really? on a top of the line XC race rig? Still...a very nice bike.

@brucebrown- You're right, not very many manufacturers are spot on with their weights any more. This bike can easily drop a couple pounds with new wheels/rotors/grips and tires. Honestly I'm a little bummed that, with a top of the line bike, I'm still having to find ways to drop weight but hey, any real weight weenie always is.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009

@hollywood33- All I can tell you is that retail is $6300. . I do business with the local shop and secured a screaming deal that precluded me from purchasing any other bike. My second choice was the Cannondale flash but that was only for the ride quality of the frame. The big C just didn't offer that bang for the buck on components. XO? really? on a top of the line XC race rig? Still...a very nice bike.
    Ouch.... Too rich for my blood....

Beautiful bike man.... Enjoy!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Sweeeeet !! Man I can't wait for mine to get here! Should be soon.Thanks for posting up the pics.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post Silentfoe! Can't wait to get mine! However I'm going to do the same as you. I'll race my SS in the winter/spring slop, and hold off on the Scale RC 29 till it dries out a little. I am a little bummed about the wheels. Oh well. It's an opportunity for me to get one more set of wheels. Cheers!
    You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We should be getting ours down here in Houston any day. But we will be riding them anyday +1 : )

Your Best Friend
    Jealous Much!! ^

I will be going to St. George over MLK holiday but I will only be bringing my Sultan. St.G has had snow (even Las Vegas!) and most of the trails may be questionable. I might just end up on a lonely vacation from the kids.

The wheels are definitely a good excuse to get a new set, my wife didn't even question the logic! Plus it will be nice to have a training and race set.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Silentfoe,

bike looks great. Nice pics detailing it. Thanx for posting. Give us a ride report as soon as you have some miles in...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nino Schuerter and Florian Vogel on 29er
    http://www.mbaction.com/ME2/dirmod.a...312CFF0406DFDC

bonus frischy on 650b?

http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/t...park/5757.html
    on text relate the outter diameter is same than 26er... but I disagred

Your Best Friend
    The best part of that article..

"and proved that his Scale 29er accelrates like a rocket by outsprinting Absalon again for the third spot on the podium."

I get pretty tired of 26" riders telling me the limitations of my 29ers. I realize that in this case a lot of it came down to the engine but it is up against, arguably, one of the greatest engines of all time.

mtbr member
    The best part of that article..

"and proved that his Scale 29er accelrates like a rocket by outsprinting Absalon again for the third spot on the podium."
    you do have to remember that it's a MBA article.....so they really say anything! The fact is that Absalon has never been a really good sprinter and would have been outsprinted on anything ridden by Nino! The bigger question for me is, what was Nino doing crashing? I'd also like to know what wheels they have those tubular dugast glued to...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nino is a great reveal of swiss team... Nino looks like a bmx'er but with resistence to race 40~50km.... Nino crash during race and recovery a third place.. over Absalon

1. VOGEL Florian – Scott-Swisspower MTB Racing 1:50:51,4
    2. NÄF Ralph – Multivan Merida Biking Team +0:11,2sec
    3. SCHURTER Nino – Scott-Swisspower MTB Racing +0:22,0
    4. ABSALON Julien – Orbea +0:22,5
    5. SAUSER Christoph – Specialized Factory Racing +0:24,5
    6. KAUFMANN Lukas – Trek Brentjens-Milka +0:39,9
    7. GALLATI Patrik – Scott-Swisspower MTB Racing +0:54,5
    8. GIGER Fabian SG – Giant-Swiss-Team +1:01,3
    9. LITSCHER Thomas – MIG-Bike-Team +1:12,0
    10. FLÜCKIGER Lukas – Trek World Racing +3:14,2

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Mine came in 2 weeks ago, but waited till my new wheels came before riding it. First real ride yesterday. Did 2.5 hours in the morning. Was still horny in the afternoon, so went out for another 1.5 hours in the afternoon. I am pleased

Changes to stock: Crest Rims/AC Hubs; Racing Ralph tires; Silicone grips. Size XL - 21.4lbs with XTR pedals.

P1290058 by kchighfield, on Flickr

Your Best Friend
    Nice wheels. Exactly the set I am going with but I decided I'd like to stick with the 10mm rear axle and AC doesn't come out with a hub kit until sometime in March. So I get to wait a bit longer. On that note, how does the wheelset ride? I assume being on an XL we're about the same size wise. Any flex?

mtbr member
    do the stan's rim come in white?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ya they come in white but I think there like 50g more

Your Best Friend
    What? Seriously? That is the first I've heard that one. Can anyone confirm that? Might as well put Arch's on it for that penalty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nice wheels. Exactly the set I am going with but I decided I'd like to stick with the 10mm rear axle and AC doesn't come out with a hub kit until sometime in March. So I get to wait a bit longer. On that note, how does the wheelset ride? I assume being on an XL we're about the same size wise. Any flex?
    Wheels and bike are tight as a drum. Bike rides beautifully.

West Poland Reprazent
    Jun 2008
    yes, they are heavier. On Polish forums I saw some ca. 420-430g ones.
    rower & power

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    30 grams worth of paint per rim!
    Strongy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Apparently only 8 of these exist in Australia currently. The do look hot....

mtbr member
    Nice bike. I love the new line of Scotts

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Don't think Crest rims come in white. Though I like the overall "stealth black" look of my bike now.

Your Best Friend
    I've confirmed all the 29er Stans rims come in white and they are all about 30grams heavier per rim. Bummer.

mtbr member
    That is really too bad about the extra weight. I am being a priss here but I just don' t like the red stickers on the rim. Maybe removing the stickers on the rims and finding yellow hubs would compliment the bike nicely.

XC racer
    May 2005
    KHighfield's my teammate. We got our bikes on the same day (although delivered to different locations of our sponsor stores), only difference was I was riding mine the next day. Mine's large frame, tubeless'ed the tires, stainless eggbeaters, 21.5 lbs. I'm as much of a weight weinie as the next guy, but having a hard time calling that a boat anchor. So far, it's been to five different trails around our state and I have nothing but an ecstatic two thumbs up for the bike. I had a 2010 Aluminum 29'er Scale and although I enjoyed it at some trails, I always thought the gearing felt off and it was a bit on the heavy side. The RC addresses both of those concerns plus the ride is much smoother. If/when I do order some Stan's wheels, I'll opt for the "heavy" white rims as I think they will look much better on the bike.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've read it now. The reviewer echoes my own impressions exactly. Except I've already got my NoTubes hoops fitted. It is an impressive bike and I couldn't be happier with it. I've just got to win a few races before my competitors get their hands on one. If they do buy them, I'm going to suggest we stop the dollar race and all compete on Huffys.

Members who have read this thread: 0