2011 Marin Alpine Trail 29er vs 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 29- Mtbr.com
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011

2011 Marin Alpine Trail 29er vs 2010 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 29

Looking at a couple of different used bikes, and would appreciate your opinions.

2011 Marin Alpine Trail 29er - 19"
    MARIN BIKES 2011**|** Mountain HT**|**29er **|**Alpine Trail 29er
    Frame 6061 Double Butted Aluminum 29er with Edge 3 OS Top and Down Tubes
    Front Suspension Rock Shox Dart 3 with Alloy Steer Tube, 100mm with Preload Adjustment, Rebound Adjustment and TurnKey Lockout
    Derailleur Front Shimano Alivio, 9 Speed
    Derailleur Rear Shimano Deore
    Brakes Hayes MX-4 Mechanical Disc with 6 Rotor
    Crankset TruVativ Blaze 3.0, 44/32/22, 9 Speed, with Power Spline BB
    Bottom Bracket TruVativ with Sealed Cartridge and Power Spline
    Cassette Shimano HG30, 11-34, 9 Speed
    Hubs Alloy Double Sealed, 32 Hole Disc with QR
    Rims Alex TD-20, Double Wall, 32 Hole Disc
    Spokes WTB 14 Gauge Stainless
    Tires Continental Race King 29 Fold, 29 x 2.2"
    Saddle WTB Vigo Sport with Love Channel and Comfort Zone
    Stem Marin OS Alloy Threadless with 31.8mm Bar Clamp
    Handlebar Double Butted 6061 Alloy, OS-31.8mm, 25.4mm Rise
    Headset FSA, 1 1/8, Threadless

2010 Rockhopper Comp Disc 29 - size not yet known
    Specialized Bicycle Components : Rockhopper Comp Disc 29
    FRAME Specialized M4 fully manipulated alloy frame, fully butted, Trail 29" geometry, ORE DT, externally relieved HT, 2-piece forged adjustable slider dropouts, disc only
    FORK RockShox Dart 3 SL for 29" wheel, 80mm, 1 piece magnesium lower, alloy steerer, adj. reb. damping w/ LO and preload adj., size-specific spring rates, spring assisted seal, disc only
    HEADSET 1-1/8" threadless, loose ball
    STEM 3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
    HANDLEBARS Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 660mm wide, 8 degree back sweep, 7 degree up sweep
    BRAKES Avid BB5, mechanical disc, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep rotor
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X-5, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X4-R trigger
    CASSETTE SRAM PG-830, 8-speed, 11-32t
    CHAIN KMC X8 w/ reuseable Missing Link
    CRANKSET SR SunTour, Octalink spline
    CHAINRINGS 42S x 32S x 22S replaceable
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano BB-ES25, Octalink spline, cartridge bearing, 68mm x 118mm
    PEDALS Steel cage, composite body, 9/16"
    RIMS Alex RHD 29", pinned, alloy double wall, eyelets, 28h front and 32h rear
    FRONT HUB Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, 32h
    REAR HUB Forged alloy, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount, cassette, 32h
    TIRES Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport, 29x2.0", 60TPI, wire bead
    SADDLE Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers

Both bike retailed for about the same price.

The Marin looks like it has slightly better components. It is selling for $100 more, but I haven't really started working prices yet.

The Marin has probably seen more serious use, but the Rockhopper has some miles on it too..

The Rockhopper would probably be easier to sell in the future. But what's up with the front rim having fewer spokes? Also, the fork has less travel (80mm vs 100mm).

I ride on dirt trails with plenty of roots, and will be riding on some sharp rocky stuff when I travel. I am a beginner. I don't ever plan to ride off big drops or do DH, but I'd like to ride off a 2 foot ledge without worrying about my bike collapsing. Ready to ride, my stuff and I probably weigh 195 lbs and am 6'2" with a 34" pants inseam.

Thank you very much for your opinions.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    How do the Hayes brakes compare to the Avid? The BB-5 certainly have a certain notch carved in the world of mechanical brakes.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Does the Marin fit you?

Does the Rockhopper?

Components are pretty much a wash, get the one that feels better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Marin vs Specialized

My first 29er was the 2010 Marin Alpine Trail and I never looked back. I'm now on my 4th 29er and have no regrets. So, I'm a little biased in favor of the Alpine. But, as you mentioned, the Specialized will probably hold its value a little better. I did upgrade the fork on the Alpine to a Rockshox Tora 100mm and that helped. I did notice on Houston Craigslist that there was a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 19" with Rockshox Reba and BB7 upgrades. You might also consider that if you haven't already.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Does the Marin fit you?

Does the Rockhopper?
    Not sure yet! I need to set up a test drive for each one.

Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    Components are pretty much a wash, get the one that feels better.
    Thanks for the opinion on the components. If the quality is pretty much equal, then I feel good about choosing the one that just feels best.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tstell View Post
    My first 29er was the 2010 Marin Alpine Trail and I never looked back. I'm now on my 4th 29er and have no regrets. So, I'm a little biased in favor of the Alpine.
    Good to have a personal endorsement. I doubt I will ever sell this bike, so resale isn't much of an issue. And it's fun to have something different from everyone else.

I did upgrade the fork on the Alpine to a Rockshox Tora 100mm and that helped.
    The fork would probably be considered the weak link on both bikes, but compared to my current bike, either one will be awesome.

I did notice on Houston Craigslist that there was a 2009 Specialized Rockhopper 19" with Rockshox Reba and BB7 upgrades. You might also consider that if you haven't already.
    I saw that one... It's on the list if I can't make either of these work. I think a 19 might be a little smaller than I want, and I am not so sure that I am down for the additional maintenance and fiddliness of an air fork. It's just kind of weird - a 2 year old bike with upgrades and only 150 miles. I think I put 150 miles on my bike the first week I owned it. And why are the brake cables new? Still, the specs on it are very good and the price is reasonable for someone who likes that fork.

Thank you for the advice.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I can't speak for the Marin, but I've been riding that rockhopper frame for two seasons and love it.

It started life as an '09 "expert" component level, but I've upgraded or modified everything but the Tora solo-air fork, seatpost and saddle. I built a WTB sd am/ shimano m-756/ dt procomp wheelset to replace the demolished stock wheelset(28hole front on a 29", WTF?!). Dumped the tektro aruigia 160 f&r hydros for bb-7 180f/160r with jagwire ripcord cables and sd7 levers. Modified the drivetrain to a 2x9 with a bashring. And lastly, a 120x-6 stem and a 700cm flat bar.

This bike is now like an extension of my body, best fit I've ever had. Fit is waaaaaay more important than brands or components.

Also, I don't understand looking at resale value as a purchase factor. I ride em till they break.
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    cool. hoping that the rockhopper ends up being a the right size.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    How do the Hayes brakes compare to the Avid? The BB-5 certainly have a certain notch carved in the world of mechanical brakes.
    Get a set of Hayes Stroker trails, better than those crappy Avid 5's or 7's and your hand wont ache when youre going down some good singletrack. Newbies or cheapassses
    use Avid 7's. You will not regret going hydraulic.
    Cheap people buy things twice

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    BB7s are a great set of brakes, reliable, and have more stopping power than alot of the lowerend hydrolic brakes.

Tons of experienced and pro-riders use them. Don't buy into to uninformed, elitest BS.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Figured out about 1 week in to my MTBR forums experience that I don't ever need to think about hydro brakes as long as I live in TX.

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    $175 bb-7/cables/levers=$300 wizbang hydros. They are better than 80% of the hydros on the market. But if money is no object.......
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Uncle
    Test ride both repeatedly, and do some climbing during said test rides.

IME, a bike that is slightly too small will feel great during a parking lot spin, but will reveal problems once the muscles are warm and stretched - especially during any decent climb. 19" Marin fits my 6' self really well. Might work for you, but at 6'2", don't rule out the 21" just yet.

$.02

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    <snip>IME, a bike that is slightly too small will feel great during a parking lot spin, but will reveal problems once the muscles are warm and stretched -<snip>
    I had thought about that but probably would have forgotten about it if you hadn't mentioned it. Small bikes feel maneuverable and quick in the parking lot or on short jaunts, but then end up being less comfortable after some more time in the saddle. Thanks for reminding me.

mtbr member
    i am guessing you are in houston? go by the cycle spectrum/bike island/bikes direct shop down there and try out their bikes. you'll get a new bike for less with equal or better components.
    it's fun to do bad things

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6'3" and my rh is a 21" with a 120 stem. I could ride it for weeks.
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

Members who have read this thread: 1