2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    217

    2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?

    Looking at the 2011 Kona Unit, but don't know alot about MTB components. MSRP is $850, and it looks pretty decent for that price.

    Any major weaknesses in the spec that I should be concerned about?

    Anyone ride one that can give a review?

    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=unit

    Thanks.

    Steve

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: roadrunner1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    40
    Kona makes really good bikes. Probably one of the most underated bike companies out there. I own a Kona Hei Hei Supreme 26" and love it. I put about 6-9 hours of ride time on it every week, and abuse it on the trails, and it has given me absolutely no problems at all. I like my Kona so much that I pulled the trigger on a brand new 2009 Kona Hei Hei 29er. Should have it in my stable sometime this next week, and I am super excited. You can't go wrong with a Kona.

  3. #3
    .......
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,707
    Kona Unit is a good bike.

    With all these threads you're posting about every single bike in existence, you could've actually been improving on the most important component on a bike--the rider! Get a friggin bike and ride already! None of these bikes will make a whole lot of difference. All great bikes. Meanwhile, the end of riding season approaches...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    151
    I've got a 2010 Unit that I love so much that I might actually consider getting another one next year!
    It's cheap, it's simple and I've been riding it alot without any problems so far! Changed tires and cog to suit the terrain I ride in but apart from that, ride it stock. I really like how it rides!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    217
    Can anyone give a comparison of the Kona Unit and Redline Monocog Flight?

    I actually "bought" a Flight, but the shop I bought it from was holding the wrong bike (a regular Monocog), and can't get a 2010. They offered a 2011 for the same price. But, I don't care for the red graphics or the Alex rims on the 2011, so I passed.

    Now, I see the Unit for about the same price as the Flight. It has the same Alex rims, but at least it has BB7s instead of BB5s. And, it looks like it can "easily" be converted to gears with a slider change, just like the Flight.

    All I really want is a bike that rides nicely, is low maintenance and that I won't want/need to upgrade a bunch of components on after the first few rides. I also want something that's easily convertible to a 1x9 drivetrain, if I should decided to go that route.

    Steve

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    151


    You did notice Kona has the wrong pic on their site? If you enlarge it you see the 2011 in stead of the 2010.

    It looks decent enough to me, I wonder if they include a geared slider...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    217
    I'm not sure what you mean.?.

    I asked about the 2011 Unit, and that's the white one in the pic you posted.

    Steve

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    151
    If I go to Konaworld and click on the 2011 Unit I see a picture of the 2010, when I enlarge it I get to see the 2011...

    No big deal, might be my browser or some other weird error...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    151
    The UNIT is my favorit bike at the moment. It's real good value for money. I mostly ride marathon rides, 100km+ and lot of climbing/descending. Changed the gearing to 32/22 and that's spot on for what I ride. I changed the 8 blocks (tires) for continental Mountain King 2.4's which grip like crazy and offer some bump relief.
    Somehow, this bike works for me (19" bike, 6 foot me). I don't wish too often I had a suspension fork but you have to pay attention to your lines. Was not into the very wide handlebar at first but left it on and now wouldn't want to take it off. It feels odd at first but it really helps on steep climbs and technical downhills!
    I have been laughed at at start lines where I line up with my 'cheap' bike but love it when I finish in races before people who paid a fortune for their bike. Last weeks 100 km race was ridden totally in the mud and I just could forget about the bike and pedal. Everybody else was cursing their bikes after half an hour.
    I also have a Singular Swift rolling as a singlespeed 29er but I prefer the Unit which is much cheaper! For that money I would not doubt!
    In theory it should be really easy to get it converted into a geared bike. But... I'm living in Europe and still searching for the geared dropout!!!
    Have not ridden the Redline so cannot compare to that bike.

    Hope that helps you decide.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stick-boy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    79
    Yup, I like mine. Put on a suspension fork but the rigid will go back on for the winter muck. Mine didn't come with the geared hanger, I had to buck up $50 for it. Makes a great ss or 1x9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?-unit-1x9.jpg  

    2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?-unit-singlespeed.jpg  

    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation: eyescream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by stick-boy1
    Yup, I like mine. Put on a suspension fork but the rigid will go back on for the winter muck. Mine didn't come with the geared hanger, I had to buck up $50 for it. Makes a great ss or 1x9.
    That is a really nice looking and balanced bike! Is that an Ardent 2.4 up front?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stick-boy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    79
    Thanks, it suits my mtbing needs. Yeah, 2.4 up front. GREAT tire but a little over kill for current local conditions (dry hardpack) but great in the spring/winter. Just too lazy to put my other block 8 on the front.
    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

  13. #13
    ott
    ott is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    46
    Like my 2010 unit,. Ride it stock except a conti race king op front, titanium seatpost and a salsa 100m stem and 17' handelbar.
    I only had problems with the wheels, the rim (alex) bent, anybody else had problems with these wheels?
    Ik hier.............?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: crashplayer19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    91
    Where did you get the hanger for yours? And if you know off the top of your head how much does the bike wiegh?
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

  15. #15
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,307
    the unit is one of the best values out there in mid-range production bikes, IMO.
    solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bholwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,244
    I agree with feather. I think this bike will be my b-day present next month.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

  17. #17
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    I am looking at a 2011 Unit as well to complement my 2008 Hei Hei 2-9. I considered the Redline Monocog Flight, Jamis Dragon One, Haro Mary SS, Raleigh XXIX, and a few others. At the end of the day I like Kona and it seems as good or better than the others as a total package.

    My plan is to add a Rock Shox Reba SL 80mm, a Brooks saddle, Ergon BioKork grips and ride the heck out of it - and cross my fingers and pray the wheels can last a few years.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stick-boy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by crashplayer19
    Where did you get the hanger for yours? And if you know off the top of your head how much does the bike wiegh?
    I ordered the hanger from Kona through my lbs. It's sitting about 28lbs as a 1x9.
    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26
    I have a 2010 Unit and love it. I made the mistake of buying a few pretty high dollar bikes before this one and I like this one a bunch more than the others.

    Spec seems very competent, and I haven't had a need to change anything so far. I most likely will be selling mine for the 2011 just because I got the wrong size frame. Am 5'10'' and bought a 19 because it was the only thing they had in stock (impatience sure does cost ya money sometimes!). Am thinking the 18 will be more comfortable for me. Besides the sizing issue though, love everything about the bike!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,240
    I've got an '08 hei hei and an '09 unit. They are the first konas I have owned and I am stoked with both. I'm 5'9" with a 31" inseam and the 18" are a comfortable fit for me. Both were spec'd with some longish (for my taste) stems which are an easy swap.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    42
    Got bad news from my LBS the other day. I was all set to have them order me a 2011 Kahuna. When they tried, the Kona rep said the whole first batch of 2011 frames were made to the wrong specs and had to be redone. This pushes back the timeline on when 2011's will be available. Too bad because I needed one before a race on Sep 11 weekend. Now I have to buy something else. Hope they can get those frames right.

  22. #22
    Got a suspension fork
    Reputation: randyharris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,442
    Does anybody know if the Alex EN24 rims that come with the 2011 Kona Unit 2-9 work ok with the Stan's Notubes setup? Or more to the point I suppose, is can I remove the stock tape, gorilla tape then, pop in some stems and go tubeless with sealant?

    Thanks!
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    ... I also have a Singular Swift rolling as a singlespeed 29er but I prefer the Unit which is much cheaper! For that money I would not doubt!
    I'd be interested to know why you prefer the Unit over the Swift.

  24. #24
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,747
    I definitely like the geometry changes for the 2011 Unit, I'm considering buying the frameset myself.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: masterofnone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,240
    Last edited by masterofnone; 09-02-2010 at 01:36 PM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2
    I have a 2010 SS Unit that rides great on hard pack trails. But wait...the 2011 pic seems to show that it has no vertical dropout like my 2010. That's one thing I really like for changing the rear tire.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Kona Unit is a good bike.

    With all these threads you're posting about every single bike in existence, you could've actually been improving on the most important component on a bike--the rider! Get a friggin bike and ride already! None of these bikes will make a whole lot of difference. All great bikes. Meanwhile, the end of riding season approaches...

    LOL this made my day!

  28. #28
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,187
    I wish they made a 21 with a 25" top tube :-(
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KarlP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    145

    I need to know more...

    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone
    What did you have to do to get those fatty rims on that bike? I want to do it to my Unit.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7
    ^^^^ What he said!

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlP
    What did you have to do to get those fatty rims on that bike? I want to do it to my Unit.
    That is insanely awesome.

    Kona Unit is literally the only bike in the world I MIGHT consider trading for my Karate Monkey. Probably still not since it looks like I would be limited to discs only...

    But man I love my other Kona bike, and to have a Unit might be too awesome to handle.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    527
    just built this up! i love this bike. climbs awesome and descends with confidence and has a great smooth ride can't say enough about it just plain fun to ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?-attachment-6.jpg  

    2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?-attachment.jpg  

    2011 Kona Unit - How's the value?-attachment-5.jpg  


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brentos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,787
    I have a 2008 and really like it. It's a fun bike, but by no means feals quick. A solid value, still one of my favorites of the bikes I've owned. A great build too, but with a couple standout poor performers; hubs & headset.


    I also must know how the Endomorphs fit in the rear triangle of the Unit!

    Edit: I just measured the distance between my stays @ 79.5 mm (both seat & Chain). Looks like the Large Marge rim is 65 mm, so the rim will fit...not sure about the tires though.
    Last edited by brentos; 12-17-2010 at 12:14 AM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Raumfahrer Rolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos
    I have a 2008 and really like it. It's a fun bike, but by no means feals quick. A solid value, still one of my favorites of the bikes I've owned. A great build too, but with a couple standout poor performers; hubs & headset.


    I also must know how the Endomorphs fit in the rear triangle of the Unit!

    Edit: I just measured the distance between my stays @ 79.5 mm (both seat & Chain). Looks like the Large Marge rim is 65 mm, so the rim will fit...not sure about the tires though.
    Look here for more info on a fat-tired Unit.

    I have an '08 (orange) and I love it. I bought it because I felt like it is such an exceptional value.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Windrider87
    I have a 2010 SS Unit that rides great on hard pack trails. But wait...the 2011 pic seems to show that it has no vertical dropout like my 2010. That's one thing I really like for changing the rear tire.
    The 2010 and the 2011 have the same dropout.
    I work for Kona

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    7
    While I don't have a Kona Unit, I do have a Kona Big Unit and bought my wife a Kona Queen Kikapu and I have to say Kona makes a great bike! I would say go for it!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by annoying crack
    The UNIT is my favorit bike at the moment. It's real good value for money. I mostly ride marathon rides, 100km+ and lot of climbing/descending. Changed the gearing to 32/22 and that's spot on for what I ride. I changed the 8 blocks (tires) for continental Mountain King 2.4's which grip like crazy and offer some bump relief.
    Somehow, this bike works for me (19" bike, 6 foot me). I don't wish too often I had a suspension fork but you have to pay attention to your lines. Was not into the very wide handlebar at first but left it on and now wouldn't want to take it off. It feels odd at first but it really helps on steep climbs and technical downhills!
    I have been laughed at at start lines where I line up with my 'cheap' bike but love it when I finish in races before people who paid a fortune for their bike. Last weeks 100 km race was ridden totally in the mud and I just could forget about the bike and pedal. Everybody else was cursing their bikes after half an hour.
    I also have a Singular Swift rolling as a singlespeed 29er but I prefer the Unit which is much cheaper! For that money I would not doubt!
    In theory it should be really easy to get it converted into a geared bike. But... I'm living in Europe and still searching for the geared dropout!!!
    Have not ridden the Redline so cannot compare to that bike.

    Hope that helps you decide.
    https://shop.konaworld.com/eu/produc...C-Single-speed
    https://shop.konaworld.com/eu/produc...t-side-dropout

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: stick-boy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    79
    Dragging up an old thread but... anyone out there ridden a 2011 16" frame? I'm 5'5" and have the 2010 18" and thinking about sizing down to the 2011 16". My only concern is the slacker HA compared to the 2010.
    Rollin just to keep on rollin'. I don't want to leave this heaven so soon. - Mark Lanegan

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    31
    I'm about 5' 9" and looking into a used 16"... I'm like 195 and stocky, think it will be okay size wise?

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    538
    It may be a tad small, but go test ride it and find out for yourself.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OmaHaq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    643
    Probably be fine with a few component choices. I am slightly shorter than you and about the same build. I run a 16" with an 80mm stem and offset seatpost.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar View Post
    Looking at the 2011 Kona Unit, but don't know alot about MTB components. MSRP is $850, and it looks pretty decent for that price.
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

    Any major weaknesses in the spec that I should be concerned about?

    Anyone ride one that can give a review?

    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 29" HT | UNIT

    Thanks.

    Steve
    Kona makes very good bikes

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    31
    It's a great deal... new frame from a warranty deal, all components cleaned up, dropouts to run geared if I want.... $450!
    Said he would throw in a Reba team shock for $275.
    The pics look beautiful... I have to drive 2 hours to ride it and check it out but it seems so worth it. Was going to order a new unit on Tuesday... glad I searched Craigslist!
    In the past I've seen taller dudes riding smaller tomac frames... I guess to a certain degree you see adults still tearing it up on bmx bikes so what's the difference right? lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.