2011 Kona Unit fork question(s?)- Mtbr.com
    mhk
    beer horse

New question here. 2011 Kona Unit fork question(s?)

WARNING: rambling, disjointed, scatterbrained post just ahead!

Well, yesterday I was stoked to receive the frame that will replace my broken Bianchi Rita: a 2011 22" Kona Unit. . . that is, until I realized that the 190mm steerer tube from my Reba SL was way too short to be compatible with the longish 160mm headtube on the Unit.

I think ideally I would like to have front suspension on the Unit, but I'm also awaiting delivery on a Flash Carbon 29er 2, so the Flash (geared hardtail) could suffice if I'm ever desiring a plusher ride, and I'm familiar with the pros and cons of the rigid SS. However, since the Flash is "a lot more bike" so to speak, I'm loath to throw down a lot of money on a new suspension fork.

Anyway, I see that the stock fork on the Unit (Kona P2, rigid) is 465mm a-c with 45mm offset. Here's my question:

Do you think I would be better off simply ordering a P2 fork (70 bucks at bikeman), or should I look at something longer if I'm going to go rigid?

I ask this because I ran my Rita rigid for a while, but the Black Ops fork (also 465mm a-c) was a little shorter than I would have liked (lots of pedal strikes and put my weight a little too far forward), but I also realize the Rita's geometry was made for a 100mm suspension fork. I really liked the Rita when I went back to running it with the Reba, btw.

Or, I could try to sell the Reba and buy a different fork, suspended or not. I've looked on the Kona threads, and haven't found much info there.

What do you think, besides the fact that I have to figure out what I want? Apologies, but I'm looking for someone with a brighter light on to shine it into my dark corner of obscurity over here.

Li'l help?
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

get down!
    the P2 was made for the Unit so I'd go with that...also possible that someone has one for sale cheap that came with their bike...maybe buy a WTB ad for the P2

I'd sell the Reba too (if you can't use it)
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    It's not as cheap as a rigid fork, but you could get a new crown/steerer assembly for your Reba.

Depending on the conditiond of your fork though, it may cost you about the same as a new suspension fork/selling your old fork.

mtbr member
    I'd do your research on that P2 fork. I have a 2007 Unit 2-9 that came with a P2, and under the slightest amount of braking, the wheel would slide in the dropout maybe an 1/8". It didn't matter how hard I tightened the skewer. I say this, and now I can't find anything on the kona forums. But if you're set on that fork, check ebay, you can probably pick one up for $20.

mhk
    beer horse
    Thanks for the replies. The guys at konaworld say the unit's geometry is designed for an 80mm-squish fork, so recommended the p2 or something similar. Since I lucked out and was able to sell my Reba to a local rider (yesterday!), I splurged for the ride quality of carbon (this time the sticker says carver).
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

Members who have read this thread: 0