2011 Fox F29 terralogic - experiences?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2011 Fox F29 terralogic - experiences?

Anyone have experience on the new F29 terralogic? I've been digging around for quite awhile looking for reviews but can't seem to find much. I'm considering one of these along with the reba xx w/hydro lockout.

The main thing I'm curious about is how well the new terralogic works when standing and mashing uphill. Previously I had an F29 RLC and really liked it, but REALLY want some sort of remote lockout or platform on my next. Just looking for some real life experience if anyone has any.

banned
    Have both of the forks you mentioned, I absolutely love the new Terralogic fork. The XX Reba is nothing special but the lockout does work great. Terralogic works for me out of the saddle perfectly and is buttery smooth, set and forget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Spinning Lizard: Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a bit more detail on what you like about terralogic? Does it work like a true lockout when standing and mashing up a steep hill? How would you compare it to a rigid fork going uphill? Also, what did you not like as much about the reba xx compared to the fox?

Also, anyone know if there are any additional maintenance needs with terralogic? If so any idea on the interval and does that include sending it back to fox?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No experience with the 29er version of the terralogic but my wife has been on the 26er version all season.

Lockout: If you do a ton of pavement climbing out of the saddle then you will probably not like the lockout. It is locked out but there is still a bit of movement. For off road climbing this bit of movement is perfect (IMHO). Even when I am climbing I like the fork to smooth the terrain out a bit.

Maintence: no different then any other fork. Change the oil every 50hrs to keep things clean put new seals in once a season. I have been using an 08 terralogic for the past three year and it has been great.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    Spinning Lizard: Thanks for the feedback. Can you provide a bit more detail on what you like about terralogic? Does it work like a true lockout when standing and mashing up a steep hill? How would you compare it to a rigid fork going uphill? Also, what did you not like as much about the reba xx compared to the fox?

Also, anyone know if there are any additional maintenance needs with terralogic? If so any idea on the interval and does that include sending it back to fox?
    There is a adjustment on the bottom of the fork to control when you want the Terralogic to blow off, I have mine turned all the way up, locks out all the way for me and still opens up on small bumps. The Reba just blows through the travel way too fast for my taste.and I cannot count how many times I forget to push the lockout off after cresting a hill. Maintenance has been the same for both, no issues with either one. One thing that did suprise me was they came in at the exact same weight, I expected the XX to be lighter with a 9mm QR. The Fox has 15mm thru. I would get another Fox in a second and will when the slush fund builds back up.

EXORCIZE
    I've got my '08 Fox blowoff set to max resistance, but it still blows through on standing climbs pretty easily. Very annoying. The lock-out has also had maintenance issues in the past...

Anybody know if the '11 Terralogic can be converted between 100mm and 80mm like the other F-series forks? I'm thinking this fork would be sweet on a Dos Niner race bike (especially since Fox isn't doing a remote lock-out model for the 2011 F29.).

jms
    mtbr member

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    Anybody know if the '11 Terralogic can be converted between 100mm and 80mm like the other F-series forks?
    Yes. I nearly had to purchase an 80mm and convert it to 100mm, but, Fox called back and I was able to purchase the 100/9mm version, before I left for Bend.

I've got some time on mine now [@ 25 hours], and can echo all the complimentary statements made about the new Terralogic fork. I've got both the first and second generation Rebas, both w/remote lock outs, and I've owned one of the first generation 26" Terralogic forks years ago, and this new version is superior to the Rebas, whose travel/damping I would describe as "rubbery", and the original Terralogics as "notchy" and harsh. I've bottomed the new fork a number of times and haven't noticed doing it until checking the "O" ring post ride - it's that smooth.

A couple other things, the fork tends to stay higher in it's travel under braking - until you strike a bump. And standing with the fork locked out, I've dropped the front into holes, the fork has absorbed the blow, and continued on w/o bobbing - I just looked down and said, "how does it know?"

I did have problems with it spontaneously loosing @ 40psi of air, [it was best described, by Shiggy, as "burping" it's air] during the High Cascades 100, but, I repressurized [sp] the air spring and it made it through the rest of the race w/o incident. It did once prior to the race too, but has been flawless since then - about 6 rides/12 hours of use.

In short, I haven't ridden better 29er fork to date, I certainly have no regrets @ purchasing one. As for reliability, time will be the arbiter of truth around that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Yes. I nearly had to purchase an 80mm and convert it to 100mm, but, Fox called back and I was able to purchase the 100/9mm version, before I left for Bend.

I've got some time on mine now [@ 25 hours], and can echo all the complimentary statements made about the new Terralogic fork. I've got both the first and second generation Rebas, both w/remote lock outs, and I've owned one of the first generation 26" Terralogic forks years ago, and this new version is superior to the Rebas, whose travel/damping I would describe as "rubbery", and the original Terralogics as "notchy" and harsh. I've bottomed the new fork a number of times and haven't noticed doing it until checking the "O" ring post ride - it's that smooth.

A couple other things, the fork tends to stay higher in it's travel under braking - until you strike a bump. And standing with the fork locked out, I've dropped the front into holes, the fork has absorbed the blow, and continued on w/o bobbing - I just looked down and said, "how does it know?"

I did have problems with it spontaneously loosing @ 40psi of air, [it was best described, by Shiggy, as "burping" it's air] during the High Cascades 100, but, I repressurized [sp] the air spring and it made it through the rest of the race w/o incident. It did once prior to the race too, but has been flawless since then - about 6 rides/12 hours of use.

In short, I haven't ridden better 29er fork to date, I certainly have no regrets @ purchasing one. As for reliability, time will be the arbiter of truth around that.
    With the dial cranked all the way down and sprinting out of the saddle on pavement, does it open up on occaision like the old t-logic used to ?
    Thanks for review.
    (Love the lockout on fox shox on pavement compared to about ~1cm of sag built into the rebas) Jus wondering if tlogic behaves the same as the manual lockout in that cirmcumstance.(allot to ask for but they are damned expensive now too.)
    Last edited by glovemtb; 08-21-2010 at 10:49 AM.

jms
    mtbr member

About the same amount

Quote Originally Posted by glovemtb
    With the dial cranked all the way down and sprinting out of the saddle on pavement, does it open up on occaision like the old t-logic used to ?
    No.

With the fork set @ 11-13 clicks, there's about the same amount of movement as a locked out Reba. To date, I haven't had the fork get a sudden urge to forget it's settings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Everyone still happy with their terralogic fork? Any new feedback good or bad? Still haven't pulled the trigger as I'm waiting on a frame.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    i am getting one in tomorrow and installing it on my 1x10 hardtail. i'll be putting 20-30 mile on sat and another 50 or so miles on sunday. got mine from universal using the vip15 coupon...

my f29 terralogic will be 80mm, so i'll be bumping it to 100 as soon as it is out of the box.

i'll post some feedback/pics here after the weekend.
    "forget kings...forget hadleys......they all have crap engagement. just run your bike fixed gear." - FoShizzle

Trail Junkie
    I have no experience w/ the Terralogic, and I do know that is what you are mainly after in the comparison, but I have plenty of experience w/ the Reba Team (same thing as the XX minus the hydralic lockout). What Spinning Lizard said about ramping throught he travel on the Reba, but this is good reason, It is actually absorbing the bump and allowing your bike to track over cleanly. I have yet to bottom out, but came within 3/4" of all the travel quite a few times. I like the more linear feel much better than the Fox RLC that I have. I always seem to get more feedback (too springy) from the front end of the Fox and its true, they are natorious for not the travel that it has. The Reba is super plush, silky smooth, tracks extremely well, and absorbs bumbs and you won't even notice.

Like I said, I have no experience with the Terrorlogic, but I do know that it is something that is automatic, and that obviously has drawbacks when you aren't in control of what it is doing. kind of like the specialized brain locking out when it should be open, or not opening up fast enough. Sure you can adjust the lockout threshhold or blowoff valve, I don't think it can be 100% intuitive to what is happening on the trail if it can't predict when to be open ahead of time.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Santa Cruz Chameleon SS
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc (Gravel)
    GT Piece Tour (Gravel)

mtbr member
    Anyone running a terralogic on a full suspension bike and not doing XC racing or smooth trails all the time? We in Ohio have a lot of roots and some good up hill climbs with tree roots and small rocks.

I have been told the Terralogic is more XC use and the FIT RLC is more trail. I am looking at putting it on a RIP 9 and doing zero racing...

Thoughts? Money isn't an issue at this stage where they are so close in price...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dude
    Anyone running a terralogic on a full suspension bike and not doing XC racing or smooth trails all the time? We in Ohio have a lot of roots and some good up hill climbs with tree roots and small rocks.

I have been told the Terralogic is more XC use and the FIT RLC is more trail. I am looking at putting it on a RIP 9 and doing zero racing...

Thoughts? Money isn't an issue at this stage where they are so close in price...
    I have no experience w/the new terralogic, but it sound like you'd be better off with the FIT RLC, especially considering RIP9 riders seem to prefer a 120mm fork to 100mm. There is a Talas/Terralogic model (95mm-120mm) that costs about $1k...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder1
    I have no experience w/the new terralogic, but it sound like you'd be better off with the FIT RLC, especially considering RIP9 riders seem to prefer a 120mm fork to 100mm. There is a Talas/Terralogic model (95mm-120mm) that costs about $1k...

But they offer a 120mm Talas with Terralogic... Part # 910-01-259. Terralogic FIT 15QR 1.5 taper...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Dude
    But they offer a 120mm Talas with Terralogic... Part # 910-01-259. Terralogic FIT 15QR 1.5 taper...
    Yep, that's the one I mentioned. It should be 95-120mm. If I had a RIP, I'd go with a FIT RLC 120 or a Reba, but your needs/finances may be different.

mtbr member
    My review posted in the suspension section is here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=675005
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    http://www.UavTechReview.com
    Best in the West!

Members who have read this thread: 0