2010 Stumpy and Rumblefish- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

2010 Stumpy and Rumblefish

Need opinions that surrounding which one of these is the better value for the equipment. Which is the better brand (unless it is actually adding value), geometry, paint job, etc. are to be left out. Seeing as nearly no one has ridden either of these, lets assume the they ride equally well. Which is going to be a better value?

I am comparing Expert and the Rumblefish II. The stumpy has a retail price that is $700 less than the fish. Does the fish have $700 better in components? Is it true Spec does not warranty the rear triangle? On top of that, most fisher dealers I have been talking to are not dropping that price down much, and say that it will be the price that they will market the bike in the store at, whereas most stumpy dealers are quoting the bike at $3k right now. Now it is a $1k difference. Is it true Spec does not warranty the rear triangle?

Here are the specs side by side:
    ____________Stumpy 29er Expert________Rumblefish II
    Price ________3300____________________3989
    Travel________120mm__________________120mm
    Rear Shock____Fox AFR Brain___________Fox RP23 DRCV
    Fork__________Fox F29RL w/ 15mm______Fox F120 Fit RLC w/ 15mm
    Brakes_______Avid Elixir CR_____________Avid Elixir R
    Front D._______Shim SLX_______________XT
    Rear D_______SRAM X-0________________XT
    Shifters_______SRAM X-9_______________XT
    Cassette______Shim HG 9spd 12-36t______Shim HG 9spd 12-36t
    Rims_________DT Swiss 520sl___________Bontrager Rythm Elite
    Crankset______Shim 762 XT_____________Shim 762 XT

Keep the comments constructive. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have an 05 fsr expert and they have replaced the chain stay twice under warranty.

Here is a link to the specialized warranty: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/sbcfaq.jsp

Bottom line is frame is lifetime, but the chain stay and seat stay are 5 years. Seems like the rear triangle components are part of the frame, but I guess they don't see it that way.

On the specialized web it indicates that the fork has "compression and rebound adj. w/ LO," I think the way that Fox designates there forks the R is for rebound adj, the L is for Lockout and the C is for Compression adj. Since the fork has all three of these features I don't understand why they don't call this fork an RLC model. Maybe someone else can explain.

The FSR has 130mm of travel not 120mm.

Seems like you already think it's clear the Specialized is a better value, and it would be hard to argue otherwise.
    TEX

mtbr member
    May 2007

Warranty

Yes, I think the Stumpy is looking like the better deal, but I have reservations and the warranty is one of them. Here is their current warranty. It clearly states that the chain stays and seat stays are only 1 year. My concern is that this area seems to be a common area for warranty work. You just said you have had yours replaced twice, though under a 5 year warranty. Fisher will warranty the entire frame, stays included. That is a very important issue for me.

Also, the frame is set up for 130mm of travel (as is the fish), they both only have a 120mm front fork. Isn't that correct?

I agree that the front forks seem to be similar, though the rears are very different animals and seem to be an area of contentions between the two camps, though I would rather have the AFR brain over just the triad.

Thanks

The Other Dude
    I would go for the stumpy....yes that is what the warranty says.....but i have yet to see a broken seat/chainstay be denied by the specialized warranty dept. But i am sure there were some cases that it has happened. Either way both are great bikes (i got to ride the stumpy at salt lake and it was blast!) but i think the fishers are known more for frame failure than the specialized bikes, at least that has been my experience working at a dealer that sell specialized/trek/fisher.

The FSR is great fully active and independent suspension, and with the brain technology, its really nice, the AVP is basically a single pivot that elimates brake jack, it is also a nice design, but i think for the application the FSR may be a bit better.
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I checked and back in 05 when I purchased my previous bike the warranty was also one year on these components, and like I say they have replaced the chain stay twice under warranty, both outside a year. Unless they change there policy they will continue to replace these parts under the warranty.

Another thing to consider is that the seatstays and chainstays are allot less then the difference in price between the 2 bikes, so even if they don't cover those parts you are still likely to end up with more money in your pocket.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I sent a question on the specialized website and they sent a reply with a warranty pdf that says"Our chainstays and Seatstays sold after 2008 will now include a 5 year limited warranty" under the limited lifetime warranty of bycycle frames and framesets.

So it sounds like bikes after 2008 have a 5 year on these parts, not clear what the warranty was before 2008.
    TEX

Members who have read this thread: 0