2010 RST M-29 air sprung or 2009 Tora in the $200 range?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 RST M-29 air sprung or 2009 Tora in the $200 range?

I am looking at a reasonably priced replacement for the crappy suntour on the 2001 Hardrock disc 29er and I can pick up either of these for around $200 or less new.
    The RST has stellar reviews on here from a couple years ago and I like the idea of having air since I am a clyde, around 220# and if I buy the Tora I'll likely end up spending another $50 on a heavier rated spring.
    Am I right about not having to change anything other than air pressure on the RST based on my weight?
    Recommendations?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Short-Change-Hero
    Where are you finding the RST M-29 for $200? Are you looking on eBay or elsewhere. Looking at the reviews here the fork is very highly regarded, in some cases even more than the Reba SL. What is your current reason for wanting to replace the Suntour?

mtbr member
    The suntour is crap, complete garbage for someone my size, and I'd like a lockout feature for climbing and riding the park and neighborhood with the wife and kids.
    I'll have to check when I get home but one of the online vendors has the RST for $199 shipped, should I jump on it?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I saw the RST fork too. Anybody know where to get replacement parts?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Don't they make an air version of the Tora? I would vote Tora, even it requires a new spring, simply because most bike shops can work on a Tora overnight. Also, some will flame me for this, but I still believe a coil spring is smoother than an air shock. Once you get it set up it should be trouble free and smooth as butter for quite a while Keep in mind, you'd most likely still need to buy a shock pump for the RST so the price difference isn't that great between the two...

Short-Change-Hero
    I would jump on it if you have the chance... Especially seeing as the cheapest I can find it, with a quick search is $289...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Id like to know as well. if its true I will buy one right now at that price!
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    $199 shipped:
    http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1839

Now can somebody recommend the fork who has bought one in the last year or so?

Short-Change-Hero
    That is awesome considering BikeIsland does free shipping!! Looking at the RST website they are coming out with a new model that is a bit more "budget" the M-29 Com(p)....

I Have Cookies
    IDK about that fork, i'ts kinda like buying a Kia you know the real little one..... Most people will get one but not brag about it. I'd just be wary of serviceability of it if it ever needs a seal or somthing. Go look em up and try to contact RST. Kinda hard!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    IDK about that fork, i'ts kinda like buying a Kia you know the real little one..... Most people will get one but not brag about it. I'd just be wary of serviceability of it if it ever needs a seal or somthing. Go look em up and try to contact RST. Kinda hard!
    ???? Really, I was able to find parts manuals, video tutorials, email contact info (granted to a .tw address which means it is factory) and also a distributors page. If that is hard to find for you then I don't want to know what you consider impossible..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    ???? Really, I was able to find parts manuals, video tutorials, email contact info (granted to a .tw address which means it is factory) and also a distributors page. If that is hard to find for you then I don't want to know what you consider impossible..
    Perhaps you could share where you found these items with us who are interested.
    That would surely be appreciated.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

loud hubs save lives
    a good US contact for parts is:
    service @ rst-usa.com

Tulsa
    wherever you go, there you are

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    PM sent.................

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rojogonzo
    Thanks Gonz.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody know where to get a 2008 Tora 318 Solo Air 29er fork?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    anybody know if the RST 100mm can be converted to 80mm travel

loud hubs save lives
    yes, you have to get a new rod from RST USA for the conversion

Quote Originally Posted by ozonerambler
    anybody know if the RST 100mm can be converted to 80mm travel

Short-Change-Hero
    Looks like this will be the first thing that I pic up for my new Felt!!!! After that will be the update from the Tektro mechanical brakes to either Hayes or Avid BB7's...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    RST M-29 review: http://twentynineinches.com/2007/08/...9-fork-update/

I think that if you are looking for a “set it and forget it” fork, you should look no further.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K

Right, but that review is from August, 2007. Much has changed in the fork world since then. Does anybody have an opinion on 2010 version?

mtbr member

Bump! ... and M29 lockout q

Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin
    Right, but that review is from August, 2007. Much has changed in the fork world since then. Does anybody have an opinion on 2010 version?
    I'm interested as well ...

Does anyone know if/who has the remote lockout assembly and how much it costs?

S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I vaguely remember someone saying in a thread that the lockout can be difficult to work on. Check in the mtbr.com search for info....
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr
    I vaguely remember someone saying in a thread that the lockout can be difficult to work on. Check in the mtbr.com search for info....
    Yup, I'd found that - it was GreenLightGo in his overhaul thread... for some reason when i put "RST" (with quotes, without, M29, etc.) into the search I get nothing... not even this thread! So I figured I'd see if anyone had any thoughts... as this was the most recent RST thread. Thanks.

Anyone got anything else?
    S
    "You know how they make aluminum bike frames? They take steel and suck out all the soul..."

dying hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    IDK about that fork, i'ts kinda like buying a Kia you know the real little one..... Most people will get one but not brag about it. I'd just be wary of serviceability of it if it ever needs a seal or somthing.
    this is a great analogy.
    and to the dude that said coil is smoother than air- you're absolutely right.

Members who have read this thread: 0