2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Motobecane Outcast 29er?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...utcast29_x.htm

Does anyone have one of these or any thoughts on it?

I'm wanting to try out the 29er and single speed world. I came across this bike the other day when searching. I like the fact that it has the sliding dropouts with the derailleur hanger and disc mounts. I'm wanting to try full rigid as well and will probably get rid of the Dart3, so I'm not worried about that. Not sure on the brake brand either.

mtbr member
    for the money its not a bad buy. the fork is junk though. the two things it has that you will not find on another $500 single speed is a 9 speed hub and a derailier hanger. if you are really committed to running single and rigid there are a few options for around $500 like the redline monocog and se stout. neither has disk brakes, but you can get a set of bb7's for about $100. you would spend about the same on a rigid fork for the outcast. as far as cost its about a wash. your two biggest issues are steel vs aluminum and weather you will want to run gears in the future.

mtbr member
    Well, I wanna run SS, but would like the versatility of switching if I decide otherwise down the road. If I did it would only take adding a derailleur, cassette and shifter for 1x9. I like the sliding dropouts as well...adding to the versatility. I could always sell the Dart3 to make some up on the rigid for...I'm sure there are people looking for the little upgrade. I have a Dart3 on my entry Response and it is far better then the stocker. I also want a 29er that's light. There wasn't a weight listed on their site.

mtbr member
    for that price you are not going to get a light 29er. most will be in the 28-30 lb range.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    I like SS 29ers and I am happy to see interest in them

The Outcast has a really nice frame; that many buyers think is as nice as many frames that are $500 for the frame alone - so it is selling very well

But for those that want rigid and lower priced
    We will have a 4130 Chr-moly Dawes Deadeye with disc hubs and tabs but stock with V-brakes at $349 this fall
    And an Aluminum Cliff 29.1 in Rigid with disc tabs also about $350 delivered coming before Christmas

Any interest in this style bike at the Tora/B5 or Reba/Elixir level??
    Highend in AL or 4130?

mtbr member
    I'd be all over the Dawes as a nice 29er entry with the ability to upgrade to disc. Thats the only thing holding me back on the previous Outcast. I'm not too worried about the price though. So, switching the Dart3 for a rigid on the 2010 isn't a big deal, but that doesn't mean I wanna spend crazy $$$ to try 29er/rigid.

You have a picture and know when the availability will be for the Dawes? Thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06
    I'd be all over the Dawes as a nice 29er entry with the ability to upgrade to disc. Thats the only thing holding me back on the previous Outcast. I'm not too worried about the price though. So, switching the Dart3 for a rigid on the 2010 isn't a big deal, but that doesn't mean I wanna spend crazy $$$ to try 29er/rigid.

You have a picture and know when the availability will be for the Dawes? Thanks

I having drawings of Dawes Deadeye frame; but no pictures
    however, I am getting this bike basiclly naked - HT decal only - no other markings
    One color will be Black, I forgot what the other one is
    sizes are 15", 17", 19", and 21"

My production schedule shows Dec - so landing in January

I think it will be a hot at $349 delivered

Of course, the Outcast 29er is a good deal too and those customers already have and report they love the ride and versitility

Great catagory of bikes
    I hope this type bike keeps gaining in popularity

I like turtles
    What is this Dawes bike you guys are talking about?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    He said he didn't have any pictures of it yet.

I like turtles
    Yes, I can read. What is it though? You guys talked about it like you knew what it is was...share(w/o pictures)!

newble
    Jul 2009
    The 2010 motobecane frame is 4 lbs alone.(15") I weighed it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo
    Yes, I can read. What is it though? You guys talked about it like you knew what it is was...share(w/o pictures)!
    Lol, I wasn't being rude. The guy above "bikesdirect" is the company that will be selling them. That's how he knows about it. I've never heard of it...hence why I asked for a picture

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    for $500 its a great entry level SS 29er if you dont want to go rigid...the shock is definetly rideable..and its cheap enough to switch to a rigid if you want to

Apr 2007
    I had an older Outcast. Did not like the aluminum frame. Was a decent bike other than that, though.

mtbr member
    Yea, I'm torn right now between this and some other ones. I'd like to try 29er and SS. But I wanna be able to add gearing if i decide I don't like the SS. I also wanna try a rigid fork. I'd prefer something light and would like a steel frame as well. I've kinda narrowed a couple down.

These are the 2 on my top at the moment with some others floating.

Salsa Ala Carte-steel frame and fork, 27-sp., 26 wheels, but a 650b fits from what I've read.
    26lbs

Haro Beasley-650b's steel frame and fork, SS, Not sure if a Der. hanger can be added later
    25lbs

Redline Monocog Flight- no sure on it's complete specs yet.

Apr 2007
    Out of those, I'd go with the Redline Monocog Flight. If you're looking to try out a 29er, I don't know why you're looking at 26/650b bikes. You can always go with 650b's on a 29er, but not always on a 26". Also, the Salsa Ala Carte can't be run SS. The El Mar can, but I am just leery of EBB's. I know plenty of people have had good experiences with EBB, but it's just not for me.

So, once again, Monocog Flight - Steel frame, can be run with gears, sliding dropouts, suspension corrected (if you wish to run with a susp fork), good customer service, cheap ($800 at my LBS. 08 model, I think).

you do this at my size
    How about going for a Ti SS, with all the good stuff? and just open up the back end for a 2.5 tire.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    I look forward to seeing the $350 rigid disk equipped model.

I found this interesting...
    Quote Originally Posted by BikesDirect.com
    Join the 29er Revolution
    Flattery I guess.

I like turtles
    Ok, I got the skinny on the Dawes bike talked about above. The Dawes is just the nameless 4130 steel frame BD is selling on Ebay (there is thread on here about it), SS, disc-ready..basically a Monocog or SE Stout for less money..should be a winner for ~$350. We will see what the components look like...

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    Is this the frame you are talking about?
    https://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-ATB-UNBRAND...d=p3286.c0.m14

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Anybody know where to get seals and other parts that will leak and wear out for that RST M29 fork yet?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Sep 2009

2010 Outcast

Quote Originally Posted by trrubicon06

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...utcast29_x.htm

Does anyone have one of these or any thoughts on it?

I'm wanting to try out the 29er and single speed world. I came across this bike the other day when searching. I like the fact that it has the sliding dropouts with the derailleur hanger and disc mounts. I'm wanting to try full rigid as well and will probably get rid of the Dart3, so I'm not worried about that. Not sure on the brake brand either.
    Just wanted to say that I received my new 2010 Outcast this week and I love it! Solid bike, but saying that I may change to a rigid fork. The brake brand is Tektro Novela.

I like turtles
    Yes, that should be the one, sans susp. fork.

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    How much does she weigh in her stock glory?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDRAM
    Just wanted to say that I received my new 2010 Outcast this week and I love it! Solid bike, but saying that I may change to a rigid fork. The brake brand is Tektro Novela.

Sep 2009

Weight

Quote Originally Posted by B.A.R.K.
    How much does she weigh in her stock glory?
    I weighed her on a regular scale and she come out to around 31lbs. I'm going to work on that though....

mtbr member
    Well, I made the jump for the Alpine Trail 29er instead. I used the Sept. coupon code that someone posted for 25% off of the ING Direct site. Was only $347 shipped! I think this is an awesome deal for someone wanting to try a 29er. I'm converting my Response to an SS to try that out and if I like it then maybe I'll SS the 29er as well.

Here's the ING page
    https://shop.ingdirect.com/Product_D...FAFEE6C58A9FF3

you do this at my size
    A friend just got his in today, it is actually a nice ride. He is going to change a few things, the stock bars are way too narrow and the stem is heavy and short. The 17" with eggbeaters and the 33t chainring weighs in a 28-lbs. If it comes with a 33t ring it should come with a matching bashguard, or even better just lose the 42t ring completely. Definitely worth $500.
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

Sep 2009
    I agree, i'm happy with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    I like SS 29ers and I am happy to see interest in them

The Outcast has a really nice frame; that many buyers think is as nice as many frames that are $500 for the frame alone - so it is selling very well

But for those that want rigid and lower priced
    We will have a 4130 Chr-moly Dawes Deadeye with disc hubs and tabs but stock with V-brakes at $349 this fall
    And an Aluminum Cliff 29.1 in Rigid with disc tabs also about $350 delivered coming before Christmas

Highend in AL or 4130?
    I would really like to see one at the Reba/Elixir level with Al. I was actually considering buying a Phantom pro sl, stipping all the gear components, selling them on e-bay, then buying a 29er ss frame to build up with the remainder of the Phantom parts. If you guys could sell a built-up 29er at the $900 level, you would save me alot of leg work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Highend in AL or 4130?
    Yes.

AZ
    banned
    Yep ............ When ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It seems to me that a bike designed to compete with the Gary Fisher Rig would probably sell well. I am saving up to get a rig, but if Bikes Direct could work their magic and produce a similarly equiped bike for less, I would probably tell Gary to take a hike and order online instead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Would most experienced riders here rather go rigid than Tora or sub-Reba level?
    Methinks yes, but...
    Anyway, BTT....

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Plinkomatic
    Methinks yes, but...
    Anyway, BTT....

You thinks correct , IMHO .

mtbr member
    Methinks yes, but...
    Anyway, BTT....
    No, you drew the line on the wrong side of the Tora (unless I am confused by your wording). The Tora is considered a great fork, just heavy. It shares much more in common with the Reba than the Dart: 32mm stanchions, air spring similar to Reba (just without separate adjustment of the two chambers), travel is convertible with spacers, and the really good Motion Control damper (just lacking adjustment of the Floodgate setting)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oops

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    No, you drew the line on the wrong side of the Tora (unless I am confused by your wording). The Tora is considered a great fork, just heavy. It shares much more in common with the Reba than the Dart: 32mm stanchions, air spring similar to Reba (just without separate adjustment of the two chambers), travel is convertible with spacers, and the really good Motion Control damper (just lacking adjustment of the Floodgate setting)
    Interesting.
    I had a Tora 289U that despite heaving pumping was a pogostick but am rocking a Tora318 which has been a pretty vast improvement. Granted, it probably needed heavier springs...
    When the time and money and opportunity present themselves, I'd like to upgrade but I'll probably do wheels before then and build out an entire 29r SS Rigid even before that (hello new fork in '12).

mtbr member
    Interesting.
    I had a Tora 289U that despite heaving pumping was a pogostick but am rocking a Tora318 which has been a pretty vast improvement. Granted, it probably needed heavier springs...
    When the time and money and opportunity present themselves, I'd like to upgrade but I'll probably do wheels before then and build out an entire 29r SS Rigid even before that (hello new fork in '12).
    I guess I didn't clarify that distinction because for 29ers there hasn't been a 289 or equivalent Tora, only good ones.

The 318 (or XC or whatever they renamed it) is the version with the Motion Control damper, the 289 and others do not. The 289 you had uses the same crappy damper that the Dart has

IMHO there is enough performance difference between the Tora 318/XC and the lower level Tora's that they shouldn't even share a name

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Heh... you said crap damper.

mtbr member
    Heh... you said crap damper.
    I do do that

Sep 2009
    don't make the same mistake I did and get a bike with the dart 3 fork....it's ride-able, but definitely not that good. go rigid or better suspension that the dart 3. you can get a new rigid for about $60+.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Converted mine to beach cruiser

I have the most bad ass beach cruiser in SD. I run the Schwalbe Big Apples. Root Beer finish. Sweet for the money...alum frame is always good for the beach..

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    and the beat goes on...still rocking my outcast from last xmas, love it 2 death, and all i wanna do is get it painted for summer 2010

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    I have the most bad ass beach cruiser in SD.
    Where'd you find a beach to cruise in South Dakota?
    Zip

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZipMTB
    Where'd you find a beach to cruise in South Dakota?
    Even if he did, let me ask this: Is still a mountain bike if you ride in Kansas?

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    I have the most bad ass beach cruiser in SD. I run the Schwalbe Big Apples. Root Beer finish. Sweet for the money...alum frame is always good for the beach..
    Sorry...no offense to those who reside in S. Dakota....I live in San Diego...where beaches exist

Members who have read this thread: 0