2010 Giant XTC 29er- Ghetto Tubeless!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Giant XTC 29er- Ghetto Tubeless!!!

I just moved to an area where the goatheads are just everywhere- road and trails...so after several tube replacements and being tried of losing ride time I decided to give the tubeless route a go. That said, I will qualify as a 'tubeless rookie'....meaning I haven't yet road on or installed tubeless before(I took a few years off serious riding and have been buried in work and family).

Now Giant adverts that the new 2010 XTC 29er is aftermarket tubeless compatible....but what exactly that means..who knows? But the rims are like a nice deep dish pizza with a great little bead lip on them!

So after some research I came upon the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeO8Utfny0

Then I went down to my LBS, picked up a quart of Stan's(which was sweet cause it was only $25 instead of the $79.99 for the 'Kit'), and then dropped into 'Home Repo' and grabbed some Gorilla duct tape(which now they offer it in half rolls- half means half the width- so it makes a precut rim strip- whamO!)...
    Went home and followed the Vid...and presto, I'm tubeless! Took about 1 hour to do both F&R..which included driving down to the local station to 'air up'(however I did consider

using this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7FIvAw2wC4

and cost a grand total of $28.50 with guew and tape to share for my other rides- not bad and very slick to do!

*****Also I used NON UST tires- which were Kenda Block 8's, ust's would be like sleepwalking to put on!***

Huge props the 'Ghetto tubeless' dude!

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    How is this method holding up for you?
    Last edited by Superbike373; 09-28-2009 at 10:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

ATTENTION KENDA VALUED CUSTOMERS
    KENDA DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY FLUID BASED SEALANT PRODUCTS IN KENDA TUBE TYPE OR TUBELESS TYPE TIRES. USE OF ANY FLUID BASED PRODUCT IN KENDA TIRES WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS.
    There are pics floating around & threads about use of sealants & tire bubbles. THere are people that used sealents with Kenda tires and haven't had problems either.... so just keep an eye on the tires

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=524906

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Hmmm. I would love to run tubeless. I picked up some Stan's fluid to do the ghetto tubless. I am starting to think it is just not worth the hassle. So even with the UST tries the recomend no sealent? That seams odd. I am new to the tubless thing so I am just getting into reading on the subject. Thanks for the warning. I want to ride with less worries not more. Search time!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The issue with Stans is the ammonia in the mixture that can attack the tire casing. "Can' is the word here, not will, so there ya go. Kenda gave me the same drill in person when I asked if they had improved the casing on the Karma tire to be a better sealing tubeless conversion. Some folks need to be dragged kicking and screaming into what riders want and eazy-peezy tubeless is right at the top of the list.

Try the Caffe Latex stuff for no ammonia in a sealant.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    So from what I have read so far with Kenda's tires-- It may destroy the rubber causing wicked tire warts. It may just explode after the bulge appears. If it lasts more than a month you just might be safe. Seems to happen less with the Karma than other tires in the line up? No real consistancy to how often this happens. Sounds like maybe I need to look at some new tires. Caffe latex would be great if i could get it local. It does

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Well I went tubeless! Gorilla tape and Stan's sealant. Took 30 min plus antother 30 shaking and laying them on the side. I called Stan's about the Kenda. They said sometimes they will blister. Not very often. They recomend that tire. They aired right up. Man did the bead snap when it seated! I have been shaking them then laying flat. I have a good feeling about this set up. Time will tell if they blister. I hope not as I like these tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good work! I'm still trying to decide between Stan's and Caffe Latex.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    I would have tried the Caffe'latex. None to be found around here. I just went with Stan's because it was at the LBS and its proven. Side by side i would have tried caffe'latex.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent
    http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

There are pics floating around & threads about use of sealants & tire bubbles. THere are people that used sealents with Kenda tires and haven't had problems either.... so just keep an eye on the tires

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=524906

Sure it might. I'm going on 3 years on the same set of Karmas, still look fine and air up fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    metelhead can you give us the width of the gorilla tape used ? I am thinking of doing it this way if I can't get any 24" tubes with removable presta valves.

AUGER-N
    Dec 2005
    Dont waste your time buying tubes. Cut out your stock valve stems. Use 2" Gorilla tape and cut it in half. It does not need to be perfect. Use the 1" handy roll if you can find it or dont want to mess with cutting it. Overlap the valve stem by a spoke in either direction. Dont put any silicone, rtv or other crap on the valve stem the Stan's will seal this great. If you must, dab on a little stans. Just cut a little X as stated before and screw the valve in as tight as you can with your fingers. When you air the first one up with your compressor do it dry, no Stan's. Just a test run. You will be amazed how tight the bead is! SNAP! Break the bead on one side, pull it out and dump in 2 scoops of Stan's. Shake them and lay them flat like the videos on Stan's site. Boxes work great. I know this has been gone over and over. It is just SO simple once you do it. You will dig it. Then just keep shakin' and flippin'. It will seal up. Even if its flat in the morning just air it up and keep shakin'. If the bead is seated it will seal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    1" Gorilla Tape. I am thinking what the equivalent would be here in Australia. Found a heap on ebay mainly UK stores that state they have the 1.88". Just need to find some online stores that have cheap delivery to Australia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    They didn't have the 1" Gorilla tape at my local hardware store when I did mine, so I did the same as the guy in the video with the wide tape. Actually, he cuts his down the middle with a razor blade, I just tore mine and it made a perfectly straight edge.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Anyone done the Ghetto conversion with the Kenda Karma's that come on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paarlmtb
    Anyone done the Ghetto conversion with the Kenda Karma's that come on the bike?
    Yes, I used mine. Worked fine. There's at least one other guy on the forums here that used his as well.

Bedwards Of The West
    Can't decide between the split tube and the gorilla tape on my WTB Speed Disc wheels. Anyone used the tape on these? work good?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by breyn22
    Yes, I used mine. Worked fine. There's at least one other guy on the forums here that used his as well.
    I've been running Kenda Nevegals on my 26" with Stans for over a year, including my racing season. Not only have I not have problems, I haven't had a flat tire since....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I used one of the Kenda Karma on the front as I was still waiting to get a tyre. I found it was alright maybe a little to easy to mount. Was trial and error with the sealant brew that I used but worked fine with a 26" tube. I am still using the same method up the front. The rear I used standard electrical tape (Can't find anywhere in Australia that sells Gorilla Tape) and haven't had an issue with it yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by breyn22

Thanks

Anyone outside of the USA used/found an alternative to Gorilla tape - not available here in South Africa, as far as I know!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paarlmtb
    Anyone outside of the USA used/found an alternative to Gorilla tape - not available here in South Africa, as far as I know!
    Just look for the strongest, stickiest Duct tape you can find. That's all the Gorilla tape is.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hey! I have the same 2010 rims and thinking of doing the same Gorilla method. I'm just wondering if its still working with the Tubless? Any flates? That would be awsome if you could up date me so I can see if its safe or not.

Thanks!

Bedwards Of The West
    I have had the same Gorilla Tape on my rims for 2 years now without a single problem. I've had flats due to letting the sealant dry out and not replacing it, but no issues with the Gorilla Tape. The rims are WTB Speed Discs, but regardless of rim, the Gorilla Tape will hold and is not affected by the moisture.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have had the same Gorilla Tape on my rims for 2 years now without a single problem. I've had flats due to letting the sealant dry out and not replacing it, but no issues with the Gorilla Tape. The rims are WTB Speed Discs, but regardless of rim, the Gorilla Tape will hold and is not affected by the moisture.
    With the speed discs, did you do anything to build up the middle of the rim? It has a pretty deep pocket. The stan's kits recommend some weather stripping underneath the rim strip. I'm just wondering if it's necessary if going with gorilla tape method? Or, did you just place the tape in the rim as usual?

Bedwards Of The West
    No. I was worried that would interfere with the tape sticking good, since you'd effectively reduce the amount of tape contacting the actual rim dramatically. I've mounted folding and wire-bead non-tubeless specific tires with no issues. Currently running Small Block 8's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    did you use the 1 inch tape or the wider roll to cut it down to size for a better fit?

Bedwards Of The West
    I actually have 2 sets of those rims, and I think I used the wider stuff the first time and the skinny stuff the second time. The skinny works perfectly...I don't think there's a need to use the wider stuff. It's just an extra step to have to tear it in half...you're basically making the 1" wide stuff anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0