2010 Gary Fisher Paragon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Gary Fisher Paragon

I guess this frame is getting pretty old now so the interest level might not be that high on here but whatever. I looked at loads of bikes before buying this one, in the end it came down to what I could get now and at a reasonable price. Trek and Fisher seem be very quick with getting their new bikes out to the public this year. I won’t get a chance to properly ride it until tomorrow so I’ll just note a few things that don’t concern the ride today.

Pros:
    - I have the last 2010 19in Paragon in the country.
    - The Fisher site says the Paragon is £1500, that price sounds like it should be right but the Paragon is actually selling for £1400 at the moment.
    - Bontrager XDX tires are wider and higher volume than I would expect from a 2.1in.
    - Colour looks really nice in person.
    - It will be interesting to see if the new Sram X.9 gears and Elixir 5 brakes can make any improvement on my last Sram/Avid experience.

Cons:
    - Some of the Bontrager bolts are soft and the wrong size.
    - The welds aren’t amazingly neat.
    - The front wheel isn’t dead straight.
    - No through axle fork.

Things I will change:
    - Ergon grips.
    - My own pedals, just in time because the CB Candy pedals were already disintegrating before the bike was lifted out of the box.
    - Wider bars, 640mm is way too narrow for me.
    - My own Charge Spoon saddle.

The pics show it exactly as it comes, including unnecessary reflectors, stickers and other paraphernalia.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    I guess this frame is getting pretty old now so the interest level might not be that high on here but whatever. I looked at loads of bikes before buying this one, in the end it came down to what I could get now and at a reasonable price. Trek and Fisher seem be very quick with getting their new bikes out to the public this year. I wonít get a chance to properly ride it until tomorrow so Iíll just note a few things that donít concern the ride today.

Pros:
    - I have the last 2010 19in Paragon in the country.
    - The Fisher site says the Paragon is £1500, that price sounds like it should be right but the Paragon is actually selling for £1400 at the moment.
    - Bontrager XDX tires are wider and higher volume than I would expect from a 2.1in.
    - Colour looks really nice in person.
    - It will be interesting to see if the new Sram X.9 gears and Elixir 5 brakes can make any improvement on my last Sram/Avid experience.

Cons:
    - Some of the Bontrager bolts are soft and the wrong size.
    - The welds arenít amazingly neat.
    - The front wheel isnít dead straight.
    - No through axle fork.

Things I will change:
    - Ergon grips.
    - My own pedals, just in time because the CB Candy pedals were already disintegrating before the bike was lifted out of the box.
    - Wider bars, 640mm is way too narrow for me.
    - My own Charge Spoon saddle.

The pics show it exactly as it comes, including unnecessary reflectors, stickers and other paraphernalia.

You almost forgot the biggest Con:

They still have not addressed the seat-tube cracking at the top tube. The current frame design was supposed to fix it from the '05-07 models. However, they are still cracking even on the '08+ frames.

Sweeper
    Enjoy the bike. That paint job looks alot better in person imho.

Now I just wish Fisher would get there shipment from a Supplier so that they can ship some 2010 Hi-Fi's.

mtbr member
    Yeah I read about the cracking issue somewhere, strange place for a hardtail to crack. Hope it doesn’t happen to mine…

Thanks WeatherMan!

mtbr member
    Great looking bike - Enjoy it!

Anyone else think that they should have gone with the black fork instead of white on this color scheme?

mtbr member
    I hope they fixed the weld breaking problem. I've seen so many Fishers crack at the welds out on group rides it's not even funny.

mtbr member
    I would dig the black, but the white also works well. I have the '09 Paragon. Love the bike and color scheme excluding the aluminum finish rims. I updated mine with a set of black rims, looks great! Rims ain't half bad either.

BTW; I am the odd man out. Two GF myself and some friends have them as well. So far no issues with the head tube. Love the bike! Would dig the SS Superfly, but going for the Salsa to shake up the stable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is dang happy!

My Rig is ok so far...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej

They still have not addressed the seat-tube cracking at the top tube. The current frame design was supposed to fix it from the '05-07 models. However, they are still cracking even on the '08+ frames.
    I only have 30 miles on it though. I have seen more broken ones than I would like to and the engagement on the "geared" Rythym wheelset is worse than my 15 year old Deore hubs.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

29er zealot
    My 2010 was sent through the ringer this weekend, came out like a champ. I'm loving the bike so far....

mtbr member
    I will stick with my classic 2004 x-caliber frame. Bomb proof!
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

I'm interested in this, as I remember ( and participated in ) several of the '08 breaking threads. Heck, I broke an08 AND it's 08 replacement. But the 09 I'm on now has more miles than both of those put together did, and still holding up fine. And I haven't noticed any multiple page long threads on 09's breaking. Am I missing them? If so, where are they?
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    2009 Paragon here; about 1600 miles this year and no issues. Rider weight ~250lbs too.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    The colors are better looking than I previously thought. Nice bike.

mtbr member
    I agree. I actually think I prefer it to the 2009 monochrome look.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke
    I'm interested in this, as I remember ( and participated in ) several of the '08 breaking threads. Heck, I broke an08 AND it's 08 replacement. But the 09 I'm on now has more miles than both of those put together did, and still holding up fine. And I haven't noticed any multiple page long threads on 09's breaking. Am I missing them? If so, where are they?

The '08 and '09 frames are the same except for paint.

mtbr member
    ^ and I confirmed this with Fisher prior to my purchase. The exact response I received from Fisher is posted in the Fisher forum

LCW
    mtbr member
    wow... they really screwed up the Paragon's colours for 2010... ugh!!! :thumbsdown:

mtbr member
    Another thumbs up for the Paragon!!!
    I got my 09 in May, upgraded a few parts, got it down to 24.4 pounds & after this weekend & have over 700 miles on it. Not one issue to report with the bike. I'm VERY happy with it.
    2017 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup

2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon 2

2016 Cannondale Caad 12 Disc

Twin Six Standard Fat

mtbr member
    Those black rims look much nicer than the stock aluminum finish that comes with the 2009.

mtbr member

First ride on the Paragon

I took the Paragon to the South Downs today for the first proper ride, just west of Findon to be exact. Weather conditions were about as perfect as they get, 27 degrees, no clouds, no wind, dusty trails.

Seeing as Iíve already ordered Ergon grips and wider bars I donít really need to mention how bad the stock stuff is. But the steering really does wander and the rubber grips feel awful after a little while. Other than that the Paragon is a really sweet ride.

I have to say itís amazing how smooth a suspension fork and 29in wheel makes the front end. Even with that really smooth ride the fork and head tube are still plenty stiff enough. This has to be one of the most effortless bikes to lift, keep stable and land smoothly Iíve ever come across for a XC bike. Not that I do much jumping but my last few bikes were pretty poor in that respect. The 185mm front rotor is a nice touch that helps deliver loads of braking power, even though the brakes arenít fully bedded in yet. I donít know exactly what Sram have done with the X.9 group over the last few years since my last Sram geared bike but this lot feels loads smoother and faster shifting. In the future I might have to change the tires but at the moment the large volume gives a comfortable ride and the XDX performs well enough on dust covered bone dry trails. On the whole I think this is a very fast and capable bike, canít wait to try out the new bits this Sunday.

29er zealot
    Well, my Paragon build is now nearing completion. New wheels are on, I'll post up some pictures soon. Final build for a large right now is 23.9 lbs...I'm pretty happy with that!

LCW
    mtbr member
    ah so the dark area on the 2010 Paragon is dark blue, not black... EGF186's pics paint it in a whole different light... Literally!! Really nice pics EGF!!

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I took the Paragon to the South Downs today for the first proper ride, just west of Findon to be exact. Weather conditions were about as perfect as they get, 27 degrees, no clouds, no wind, dusty trails.
    Is growing corn common over there?

Looks warmer than 27 degrees to me.

mtbr member
    We measure things in centigrade for some reason.

And yeah, plenty of corn fields here...

mtbr member
    Nice looking ride! Like the white fork myself Slightly gutted, I'm sat in waiting for stuff to be delivered and its a lovely sunny September morn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does this fisher ride better than a emd niner? Is the g2 geo any good.

Singletrack Snob
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondalemtb65
    Does this fisher ride better than a emd niner? Is the g2 geo any good.

G2 geo is good. EMD geo is good.

Ride is different than EMD. You have to make the decision on if it is better yourself. Really, you need to ride both bikes.
    "I've got a card in my spokes, I'm practicing my jokes. I'm learning!"

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherMan
    Enjoy the bike. That paint job looks alot better in person imho....
    Lord, I hope so! Everyone has different taste, but that thing looks like one of those "Where's the Birth Certificate" billboards to me. Still a nice bike, and yes, I'd like to have one. Enjoy.

M

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The '08 and '09 frames are the same except for paint.
    Not true...they made a 2009 adjustment that included a better gusset and a double pass smooth weld at the junction to stiffen up the frame...

It's a great bike, and hopefully the fix and described above fixes the problem.

mtbr member

Copied post from my blog...

A few rides later on the 2010 Paragon
    Thatís one ride on the South Downs, one ride around Leith Hill, one ride in St Leonardís Forest and two local rides on the Paragon. I would have taken it out again today but rain meant the Swift went instead. Itís rarely a good idea to ride in the rain after weeks of dusty trails, all that dust turns into a sticky paste that doesnít let go of anything. By the end the bike had to be washed in the river on the way back it was so muddy. The last few times Iíve had more than one main bike there has been one clear favourite for whatever reason, that meant the other didnít get ridden much. The good news is that I still like the Swift, thereís no clear favourite in my mind.

Climbing
    The Paragon is a very good climber, particularly on technical climbs where there are rocks and roots to get past. The 51mm offset fork is said to boost low speed steering quickness so that helps. A few things seem to hold the Paragon back in terms of accelerating, climbing and rolling compared to the Swift. Firstly the Pragon is quite a bit heavier, secondly it doesnít have 180mm cranks and thirdly the brakes and hubs drag more. Lighter 180mm cranks will help the climbing, accelerating and weight.

Descending
    Thanks to the Fox fork, high volume tires and 29in wheels this is a very smooth and stable descender. Actually this bike goes over rough sections that would send me over the bars on most bikes without anything more than a little chain rattle.

Stiffness
    Fork and front end stiffness is much better than any other 29er Iíve ridden. The BB and chainstays seem really solid under pedal input. All that stiffness and yet the rear end doesnít feel anywhere near as harsh as I was expecting given my experiences with other aluminium hardtails. Itís definitely not as springy or compliant as steel but still pleasant enough.

Tire/mud clearance
    The hydroformed asymmetrical chainstays are built to take tires right up to 2.5in apparently. Also thereís no cross bridges on the chain/seatstays which helps stop mud from stacking up.

Grips
    Before the ride I installed my second set of Ergon GP1 Leichtbau grips, they made a major improvement. Strangely I ordered and paid for the Team Green version, what turned up from Chain Reaction Cycles was the ordinary black version. Itís obvious where they went wrong because the packaging is mislabelled. Perhaps CRC or the UK Ergon distributor need someone to personally check orders are correct as they made multiple mistakes with my first Ergon order earlier in the year. CRC will get away with it this time because the black grips actually look better on the Paragon.

The way too narrow 640mm Bontrager handlebar
    This has now been replaced by a 700mm Truvativ Stylo World Cup Single Speed Bar with 9dregrees of back sweep. When ordering the handlebar and grips from CRC I was going to get a shorter stem too but changing one thing at a time seemed like a good idea. In fact it was a very good idea because that extra 6cm in bar width made all the difference. Perhaps it has something to do with the G2 geometry fork but the steering feels just fine with the 105mm stem. That offset fork also has another advantage, the Paragon is the first 29er Iíve ridden where itís impossible to hit my foot on the tire.

Avid brakes
    The Elixir 5 rear brake was buzzing/vibrating so much there was no power at all. After tightening all the bolts I could find in the area most of the buzzing/vibrating disappeared. Perhaps the rest of the buzzing/vibrating will clear up with a little more break in time. The rear brake mount/dropout on the Paragon has to be one of the most heavily overbuilt one piece jobs Iíve seen so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Sram X.9 shifters
    The main shift levers were pressing against my thumbs a lot so I moved the shifters onto the second clamp bolt. Thatís a nice design feature, although Shimano shifters are in the right position to start with for me.

Bontrager wheels a tires
    Just noticed theyíre both tubeless readyÖnice. So far the XDX 2.1in tires are fast rolling and grippy but the real test comes when the autumn mud arrives.

Iíll keep uploading photos to this set on Flickr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    wow with just a few changes the bike looks dialed. i am going to get one and do similar changes except im doing xt cranks and wc nior low rise bars and fizik saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cannondalemtb65
    wow with just a few changes the bike looks dialed. i am going to get one and do similar changes except im doing xt cranks and wc nior low rise bars and fizik saddle
    XT 180mm cranks are at the top of my upgrade list, just canít quite afford £200 worth of chainset at the moment.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    yeah they are pretty light and very durable love xt cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GT554
    Another thumbs up for the Paragon!!!
    I got my 09 in May, upgraded a few parts, got it down to 24.4 pounds & after this weekend & have over 700 miles on it. Not one issue to report with the bike. I'm VERY happy with it.

Nice Rims, what kind are they? Link?

Aug 2008

2010 paragon

What a great bike. I'm 5.7 150 pounds with my pack. Got the 15.5" Perfect! Its a tad bigger than a 26" bike's 15.5 geom, feels more like a 16 or 17. Great handling, speed and components. Who says 29ers are only for tall guys? Felt like a 26" on the trails. I did about 15 miles yesterday to break it in, and it did everything I needed it to with finesse and agility. I don't think I ever rode better. FAST and light at 26 lbs... I lost half a pound going to tubeless. I rolled over small stuff and didn't even feel it in the saddle. Momentum carried me over moguls and small hills. Great traction, easy to get front wheel up, got some nice air too! For the $$$ You can't do better.

mtbr member
    ?TruVativ Stylo WC 700mm?
    DId you happen to weigh these bars??? how much do you think they weigh if you didnt?

Thanks alot. I found some on ebay for 25 shipped new... sounds like a hella deal for these bars....

NEVERMIND JUST DID SOME SEARCHING>>>>>260ish

thanks anyway your bike is NICE

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    - The front wheel isnít dead straight.
    - No through axle fork.
    -No bike comes out the box with the wheels trued, your LBS should have trued the wheels.
    -To my dismay, Fox doesn't yet offer a F80 29 in 15QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33
    -No bike comes out the box with the wheels trued, your LBS should have trued the wheels.
    The wheels should have been trued by the wheel manufacturer (Shimano, Mavic etc.) or by the bicycle manufacturer if they are custom built wheels for a particular bike like Shimano hubs with Sun Ringle rims. In this case it would have been done by either Bontrager or Gary Fisher, doesnít really matter as theyíre both part of the same company. I donít know of any bike companies that rely on their dealers to true wheelsÖ

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i work at a lbs and the wheels come trued by manugacturer but when they go through shipping they tend to come out of true a bit. Im sure if you were to take it back to your lbs they would retrue your wheels.

mtbr member
    Itís barely noticeable so Iíll leave it until I have enough reasons to make a trip to the shop worthwhileÖor until I can be bothered to do it myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Loved my 09 Paragon but found a crack at the trouble spot on the seat tube last week. Replacement frame should be on the way soon. Wasn't too fond of the 2010 colors but the first pics in this thread look pretty good.

Marty

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I loved the '09 Paragon but broke it at the same place as everyone else. Yes, yours may not break but it's pretty obvious there's a design and/or manufacturing flaw when so many of us break them in the same spot.

Good news is that Trek/Fisher is super fast getting a new frame. Bad news is the '10 is the fugliest bike I've ever owned! It's so ugly it's embarrassing. I actually think it's uglier than my Giant TCX0, and that's saying something! Oh, and it's exactly the same design and the welds are pretty ugly still so it's just a matter of time until it breaks.

I love the geometry but when this one lets go I think I'll have Jim Kish build me a custom bike with similar geometry.

sop
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    My '07 Paragon didn't have that welded-on gusset, or hump, at the point where the top tube meets the seat tube. Wasn't that done to avoid the rash of frame fractures at that very spot?

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by photodog
    I loved the '09 Paragon but broke it at the same place as everyone else. Yes, yours may not break but it's pretty obvious there's a design and/or manufacturing flaw when so many of us break them in the same spot.

Good news is that Trek/Fisher is super fast getting a new frame. Bad news is the '10 is the fugliest bike I've ever owned! It's so ugly it's embarrassing. I actually think it's uglier than my Giant TCX0, and that's saying something! Oh, and it's exactly the same design and the welds are pretty ugly still so it's just a matter of time until it breaks.

I love the geometry but when this one lets go I think I'll have Jim Kish build me a custom bike with similar geometry.
    The Fisher Bikes are still cracking the same places they did on the 05-07 modules. This is the reality with the 07-08 modules as well. I got the warning from my local bike shop on that... but could not resist still

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism
    Nice Rims, what kind are they? Link?
    They're American Classic MTB 29 Disc.
    www.amclassic.com

Twin Six Standard Fat

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I would think that you comment might be a bit skewed. I doubt that statistically, on an overall prodcution base, that there are many of these 2009 frames breaking (Rig, X-Caliber, and Paragon as they are all the same frame).

I do admit that it may appear that there are a lot of frame breakages due to those people whose frames have broken posting this up on MTBR. Unfortunatley, those owners whose frame have not broken have not posted as such, giving the impression that there are "so many" frame failures when this in fact may not be the case.

My frame has not broken, but that does not mean that I was not leary when I bought my 2009. Fisher confirmed that they did change the 2009 frames from the 2008 design (they confirmed to me that they added extra reinforcement to the seat tube junction). Obviously, this change was not enough to prevent all frame failures from occuring, but my frame has not yet failed. I hope that I am fortunate enough to not have to go through a warranty claim.

I would offer that for every horror story posted (yours included with the above quote), that there are numerous feel good stories not posted. I'm not taking any validity from your comment other than to point out that I don't think it's factually correct, not that I can prove this claim (nor can you).

mtbr member
    800+ miles so far on my 09 and I have no breakage, cracks, etc.! :-)

Twin Six Standard Fat

mtbr member
    Good news is that Trek/Fisher is super fast getting a new frame. Bad news is the '10 is the fugliest bike I've ever owned! It's so ugly it's embarrassing. I actually think it's uglier than my Giant TCX0, and that's saying something!
    Any better dirty, in B&W and with XT 180mm cranks?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I have about 300 miles on my '08 frame (on a mamba) and have beat the hell out of it. I'm right at 200 lbs and 6'3 and usually very good at pushing my bike into very awkward situations. I check problem areas after every ride especially after I noticed people having the common one - so far so good

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2010 Paragon Fork issues

So, I purchased this baby about a month ago and noticed something different on mine...it came with a Fox F80/F29 RLC Fit...is the RL online a typo, or did I get a scorching deal on this bike? I love the ride so far. It rips up the trails and is comfortable enough for an all-day performance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had also a 2008 frame breaking at the top tube - seat tube joint.
    For the moment I have fixed it and reinforced it, but I plan to change it with a 09 or 10 frame.

Anyway, from what I figure it out, the cracking occurs because of the 27.2 Bontrager aluminium seatpost flexing a lot under pressure.

Because of this flexing, which so many appreciate it as an additional ride smoothing factor, there is a lot of pressure applied exactly on the top end of the seat tube, instead of being evenly distributed along the seat tube.

I am switching the seatpost with a carbon one, hoping that it will not flex so much as the aluminium one does, and it will not stress that weak joint of my GF frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have the F29 on my 09 Paragon but it's a build up. I have carbon riser bars and stem and this thing really amazes me over the big rock sections.

Quote Originally Posted by borisimobike
    So, I purchased this baby about a month ago and noticed something different on mine...it came with a Fox F80/F29 RLC Fit...is the RL online a typo, or did I get a scorching deal on this bike? I love the ride so far. It rips up the trails and is comfortable enough for an all-day performance.

mtbr member
    if it was the seatpost why would fisher make so many design changes to the problem area?
    Naturally 29ers are ridden with loads of exposed seatpost (inherent feature) which puts a lot of stress at the point in the frame. The question is why only fisher 29ers and not others (relatively)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think it would be interesting to know which other 29ers use seatposts with a 27.2mm diameter or less. and if any of those have similar problems.

as an update, my cracked frame just cracked again in the same place, after it was reaired. so this is only a temporary solution until replacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kathar
    I am switching the seatpost with a carbon one, hoping that it will not flex so much as the aluminium one does, and it will not stress that weak joint of my GF frame.

Switching to a carbon post doesn't solve the cracking in the seattube/toptube area. I have been riding my 2008 Paragon since new with a Bonti XXX racelite carbon post in it since new. Sure enough mine cracked too.

They are replacing it under warranty but the bike shop said that they will send me back a 2008 Paragon. Do they really have 2008 frames still in stock?

It seems most here with a broken frame issue seem to get it replaced with something newer than their original frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

2011 Paragon might be different?

I was at the local Trek Store and spoke with a couple of guys about the Paragon. One of the guys said that Trek/GF made some improvements in either the tube thickness or welding in area of the seat tube/top tube junction. Apparently it is/was a known issue and the new frames are designed to avoid that issue? I'd try to get the 2011 frame as a replacement if that is an option...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The 2011 Paragon frame is completely new. Press fit bottom bracket, tapered head tube. If it had through axles it would be every latest and greatest. The problems with breakage was always with the 2008 frames. It's 2011 people. Let it go. I'm going to start seeing pre-press release 2012 stuff in a few months.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by halfnhalf
    Switching to a carbon post doesn't solve the cracking in the seattube/toptube area. I have been riding my 2008 Paragon since new with a Bonti XXX racelite carbon post in it since new. Sure enough mine cracked too.

They are replacing it under warranty but the bike shop said that they will send me back a 2008 Paragon. Do they really have 2008 frames still in stock?

It seems most here with a broken frame issue seem to get it replaced with something newer than their original frame.
    They don't have 2008 frames in stock. They will send you a 2011 frame.

mtbr member
    the spesh bikes use the same seat tube diameter but you dont hear about them cracking (knock wood, ive got one!). Personally I think the genesis geometry has a part to play as it shifts the centre of gravity back (rear wheel biased weight distribution) and so there is a greater leverage force acting on the seat post clamp.

Master of Beat
    whats warrenty on these?? i have an 07.. Is it too old?? I saw about the 08 being replaced. sounds like a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by attomixt
    whats warrenty on these?? i have an 07.. Is it too old?? I saw about the 08 being replaced. sounds like a good thing.
    If you are the original purchaser the warranty on the frame is lifetime.

When the bike shop said that they were replacing my frame with the same vintage as I had, I informed them "its just going to crack again". Their response was " you'll just keep getting a new frame then".

Master of Beat
    LOL! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos27
    They don't have 2008 frames in stock. They will send you a 2011 frame.

Just found out today that my warranty replacement frame came in yesterday. It is indeed a 2011 model but painted powder blue like my orignal frame was. I am excited to get on my 29er again. The only bummer is Trek forgot to include the shim that increases the diameter of my 1.125 steer tube up to the 1.5 size that the new Paragons come with. Trek also left out the new press fit bottom bracket.

Bike shop said they won't have the parts till next week. Guess I still have to keep logging the miles on my 26" steel Jamis frame. I love the feel of steel but I always thought vbrakes were the sh*t for stopping since that is what is on my Jamis. After using hydros for a while and going back to vbrakes, I cannot believe the stopping power in hydros with just a light pressure on the lever.

At the bottom of one particular descent I actually was getting some forearm pump using the v brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Well, I received my warranty replacement for my 2008 Paragon. Trek shipped me out a 2011 Trek Paragon. I just have a few questions.

On the 2008 model it was spec'd with a Fox 80 mm fork. A 2011 Paragon is spec'd with a Fox 100 mm fork. Of course, the bike shop said that the frame didn't come with a fork I would have to use my old fork. Will I notice a significant difference in handling with a 80mm fork vs. 100mm. I know that the frame will be a bit more twitchy due to the increased head angle of not running the 100 mm fork.

Should I just be happy with the new frame and forget the fork. I have already done my research and it appears that my old fork cannot be upgraded to 100mm of travel.

Also, the new frame came with a tapered steer tube, something my fork didn't have. The bike shop ordered a spacer from Cane Creek to make my fork compatible with the new tapered steerer. The new frame also came with a press in bottom bracket or whatever Shimano refers to it as. The LBS also had to order the bearings to make my XT cranks work with the new bottom bracket.

Both of these items, fork spacer and bottom bracket I was charged for. I am not complaining but I feel that I should have not been charged for these items being that it was a design problem for the original frame cracking. Am I wrong here??

Let me know your thoughts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I had a similar thing happen when my '08 frame cracked. The only difference being I purchased mine in late '09, and had 10 days left on my 1 year warranty through trek, otherwise I would have had to pay for the new headset, and an all new crankset. I have not noticed much difference in handling, and I actually feel like it is almost better. However, I have had 2 or 3 instances where the front wheel abruptly turned sideways during a turn that I never had experienced with the old frame. I've been using the dart 3 fork that came on the mamba, and it is past due for replacement. Im making do with it, though, while I build up my freeride bike for now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I think a lot of it has to do with your LBS. I have seen a million warranty frames go through the shop I ride for. I have never seen anyone that had a frame warranty upgrade due to a model change get stuck buying spacers and bearings....etc. I would not be happy having to dish out some more coin to get my ride going again. I would find a more user friendly shop. I know there are a lot of people on here that are not big fans of Trek/ GF, but I have seen them stand behind there warranty even on frames that were questionable on how they failed.

Members who have read this thread: 1