2010 Fox F29 RLC vs 29 Carbon Lefty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2010 Fox F29 RLC vs 29 Carbon Lefty

Hi Everyone!!!
    Will like to receive your input on this. I am building a lightweight Mamasita racer.

2010 Fox F29 RLC FIT
    3.7 lbs
    44mm offset?
    Traditional look( and good looking)
    Strengh
    Can get one today

29 Carbon SL Lefty
    2.6lbs!!!
    Inverted fork
    45mm offset?
    Odd looking
    Need adapter
    Have to wait almost 2 months to get one!

Never rode a Lefty but I had read more good feedback that bad ones.
    Which one will you choose and why?
    The bike will be my first 29er, the intentions are to race it the next season.Any response would be great!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    you can run the fox 80mm or as well 100mm whereas the left is just 80mm.

considering the additional cost for the lefty you can likely safe the same weight or more for less money ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If light weight is the goal, the Lefty is it. I haven't used or weighed a 2010 Fox, but the 2009's are about 3.9 pounds with 8 inch steerer tubes. Riding the 09 Fox vs a Lefty with similar wheels (same rims, different hubs obviously) the Lefty tracks better than the Fox when run with a DT 9mm RWS thru bolt. I wouldn't describe either as plush with the limited travel, but for XC racing 'take the edge off' type suspension, both worked well.

The biggest issue is the geometry, and will a Lefty fit your frame's head tube. IIRC, the Lefty is ~10mm shorter axle to crown than the 80mm Fox, and while you may remove a travel limiting spacer depending on tire choice, it won't get taller. You are locked in to the low front. With the Fox, if it feels too fast, you can alwasy set it at 100, and the front end slackens a bit.

Yes, a Lefty will most likely cost much more, and you can spend the money elsewhere to get back the 1 pound plus weight deficit, but if you already have lightweight parts everywhere else and want more, the Lefty is the lightest option out there other than ridgid forks.

mtbr member
    Hey! Great information! Specially about the axle to crown measurment.Had tought about that but did not know the Lefty numbers. I will place the order next monday, so had alittle time to decide.

Good For You
    You're just looking into the wrong Lefty. The Carbon MAX PBR 130 weighs 2.98 lbs, has an axle to crown of ~500mm , and reduces down to 110mm of travel on a 29er. I've got an offset adapter that pushes the fork offset to 48mm (or 42mm if you flip it 180 deg.) or you can get the standard adapter that keeps it at 45mm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    What adapter might that be for the 48mm offset? How does the push button lockout work for you, is a pain or good to go?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by onixbonilla
    Hi Everyone!!!
    Will like to receive your input on this. I am building a lightweight Mamasita racer.

2010 Fox F29 RLC FIT
    3.7 lbs
    44mm offset?
    Traditional look( and good looking)
    Strengh
    Can get one today

29 Carbon SL Lefty
    2.6lbs!!!
    Inverted fork
    45mm offset?
    Odd looking
    Need adapter
    Have to wait almost 2 months to get one!

Never rode a Lefty but I had read more good feedback that bad ones.
    Which one will you choose and why?
    The bike will be my first 29er, the intentions are to race it the next season.Any response would be great!!!

The lefty hub is also one of the lighter front hubs, and the integrated steerer/stem is also very, very light, so some more weight savings there.

mtbr member
    The AC on all 110mm (you will reduced to 80mm for 29er use) Lefty models is about 480mm. The 130mm Max forks from 2008/2009 had the AC closer to 500mm.

Good For You
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaard
    The lefty hub is also one of the lighter front hubs, and the integrated steerer/stem is also very, very light, so some more weight savings there.

You don't use the stem/steerer when adapting the Lefty to a 1 1/8" headtube.

The 48mm offset adapter is from the same guy that makes the regular adapter... Project321. He just makes it offset 3mm (3+ 45= 48mm).

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Just out of curiosity, how "flexy" is the lefty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have been riding the 2010 fox with normal quick release and it's really really nice. Still really stiff and so much nicer than my reba from 2007. I have never ridden the lefty.
    The remot lockout for the fox comes at a premium....$150....Ripoff!!

I have heard mixed reviews if you can just add the remote lockout to the fox, somehthing about different internals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CupOfJava
    Just out of curiosity, how "flexy" is the lefty?
    The Lefty is extremely stiff. I have both forks and the difference is noticeable. Once you go thru-axle on a Fox fork then the difference is moot.

I love the Lefty although in the lockout position, it can be downright jarring.

mtbr member
    you can get the fox RLC version of the 110 and 130 lefties that have a blow off valve on the lockout and the new 2010 PBR lefties have a blow off valve as well.

i noticed a massive amount of flex between my lefties and the fox float rlc i had (and it had qr15).

mtbr member
    should have also mentioned that because the lefties are shimmed down by 3 x 10mm spacers, depending on how tall your tyre is you can run 90mm or possibly 100mm. I ran 90mm for all my tyres.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I had a Lefty on my pre-29ers period Prophet. If you can put up with the oddness in the things like wheel removal and transportation issues, it is an amazingly accurately steering and supple fork. It did brake dive a lot on me, but mine had no compression damping adjustment that I recall.

Not sure if I would do it again on a trail bike/FS, but I would consider it on a Singlespeed. Light, stiff, and agile for the SS would be pretty good and I only need 80mm anyway. But it would have to have a lockout for the SS...no doubt about that.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Gigantic Hawk
    Isn't C-dale producing a 2010 Lefty that won't need adapters? I thought I read that they will be producing a 3d aluminum model for 1 1/8" headsets that will fit 29er bikes.

mtbr member
    I read at Bike magazine Cannondale Lefty article the they will be selling adapters kit
    for use on non Cdale frames. A dealer told me is identical to the Project325.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Cannondale will be selling adapters with their 2010 leftys. This is correct.
    The 130mm forks can be stepped down to 100 with some special work (at least, as of 09 the spacers c'dale provides aren't good for that conversion, talk to mendoncyclesmith if you're interested).
    The lefty is an amazing fork. It requires a little more maintenance and costs more, but I wish my fox 29er 100 tracked as well and felt as plush as my 130mm pbr - if I had to build the bike again, I would probably have gone for the lefty if I could've made it cost about the same - that's the kicker. For me, it's not about weight though between the two (though that makes it a sweet deal) - the lefty really feels so great to ride - tracks very well and is super stiff, but still plush (hence the bit of brake dive).

This is a tough call if the money doesn't bother you. I think the fox rides nicely, but it's not a lefty.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

Waiting for Godot
    i have the fox29 set to 80mm and the carbon lefty at 80mm with spacers.

the lefty is stiffer both ways. braking and side to side. it is about one pound lighter and in the lockout position is a true lockout, which i prefer.
    using it with the 321 adapter and spacers as my headtube is shorter than the c-dale frame. no problem there.

i set up my shocks soft because i use it in a xc race application. i only need it when it gets rough. it costs more, but IMO you get a little more. taking the wheel off to transport is a slight pain, but i can do a tube replace during a race without taking the wheel off.

my next fork I will explore the longer travel carbon lefty on my 29er SS.
    Out riding, leave a message

Singleminded
    I rode a Lefty SL on a Caffeine 29er for about a year and have not ridden the new fox with the "FIT" internals. But I have ridden an 08 Fox F29 (G2 offset) for the last year.

I'm currently purchasing a new fork for my Niner Air9 and I'm going with Fox for the following reasons/opinions:

Fox travel feels smoother to me
    No unusual hub to deal with. Easier to remove wheel on "traditional" forks.
    Even the factory certified C-dale mechanics at the LBS had trouble fixing my Lefty! Which needed to be fixed twice.
    The lefty was laterally stiffer, but with the through axle option on the Fox I'm expecting that to be remedied.

IMO, If you are trying to save weight, save it in the wheels and tires first.
    singleminded

Members who have read this thread: 0