2009 RIP 9 vs DW Sultan- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 76 of 76
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137

    2009 RIP 9 vs DW Sultan

    My search is down to 2 bikes. I am having trouble finding demos so it looks like I am going to buy one without trying it. I have been searching but have not seen a good comparison of these 2 bikes which seem to fall very much into the same category. I am very much looking for a trail bike that goes up easy and descends reasonably well.

    I ride in New England - Rocks and Roots with some dirt in-between...
    I like to ride twisty technical singletrack and an average ride is about 15 mi and hopefully going up as I get in better shape.
    I weight 250 + gear and am 6'3"

    I hate climbing so the better climber would be good. Nimble would be good as well.

    I currently ride a DW Link Iron Horse MKIII Elite and love it though a little stiffer would be good.

    Some pros and cons of each would be very much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    329
    Look at http://www.competitivecyclist.com for their demo program. You can demo the Sultan for $300 for the week which would be applied to a purchase. Not sure about the Niner.

    I just finished a week on the Sultan and found some strong positive but also some very strong negatives. There are some who love the Sultan and will strongly voice their opinion. I won't be buying a Sultan.

    The Sultan was very cush (sofa like) and handled all types of bumps well. The suspension worked very well on the roots and rocks (I'm in NJ but tested in the mountains of NC). So what did I not like? It is not a bike that is made to be able to stand and pedal. If you remain seated on all climbs, it does fine. I could not find a comfortable position to climb standing without it spinning out or just being flat out awkward. In addition, I found it to be heavy and difficult to get the front-end up. It was just not nimble. Sure you could build it lighter (test bike was 29 to 30 lbs), but it was just not as nimble as the Lenz Lunchbox at 31 lbs that I ride more often. I won't get into a chainstay argument. Finally, for whatever reason, the Sultan did not fit one of the guys I ride with who is my height. It depends on the length of your femur and shins but his knees and ankles were hitting on suspension pieces. Maybe he's just built weird - I had no problems.
    In summary, I would not call the Sultan nimble.

    I have a Niner One9 that I like and I hear great things about the new Rip9. Depending on where you are, you can probably find a way to demo a Rip9. I think if you go to PA and visit Speedgoat, you could test one but I'm not positive on that.

    If you already like the DW Link Iron Horse, you may be right at home on the Sultan. It doesn't work for me. There are so many interesting bikes coming on the market right now - Intense Tracer looks interesting. The Carbon Santa Cruz Tall Boy may have too low of a bottom bracket for our NE rocks and roots. I'm still partial to the Lenz Leviathan (4") or the Lunchbox/Behemoth because of their short chainstays and higher bottom bracket. Then you have all kinds of guys like Specialized, Fisher, etc. A good time to be looking for a 29er.

  3. #3
    Rider and Wrench
    Reputation: knottshore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    Hard to make a "bad" choice with these two but for just an off the cuff opinion (worthless banter in other words) but if you are pleased with the DW on your current ride that is one point to the turner but I would also think the Sultan would most likely prove to be a bit stiffer especially for your 6'3 250lb stats-

    The RIP 9 has had a bunch of updates and appears to be a nice rig in it's latest dress but still not quite as proven (in it's newly revised form...). Sure is pretty though...
    I Just wish I could ride more!


  4. #4
    err, 27.5+
    Reputation: AL29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,928
    Just look up the old Sultan vs. Rip threads. I think that both designs have been improved about tit for tat. Other than brand loyalty, USA vs Overseas production, and personal preference you can't go wrong with either of the frames.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    Both suspensions are the best two designs. The Sultan has a slacker headangle by a degree or so, if I remember right. This is a tough choice and I can see people split between the two. In other words, I can't help you decide in this case.

  6. #6
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    I would buy the RIP because it is cheaper and they are essentially equivalent bikes in my mind.

    Both very good with their quirks noted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Anyone experience an issue with the link hanging down on the RIP? It looks like trouble with all the rocks around here....

    Crash... thanks for pointing out the tracer... back up to 3 possibles....

    Thanks for all the info thus far

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    811
    You can't go wrong, the forged links and hrdroformed tubing on the RIP are appealing to me but the Made in the USA is too.. suspension design eh their both multi-link rear ends and established time tested designs known to work well. I own an older RIP and will be making the same choice in about a year.. no help I know LOL

  9. #9
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    I 'm 6 ' 3 " and about 220 and absolutely dig my DW Sultan......one issue I had ( that will be resolved soon ) is with a 180 mm narrow designed crankset rubbing the elevated chainstay when really pushin it ! To each his own ! TIG

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,335
    Check this out: Niner RIP9 vs Pivot 429 vs Specialized Stumpjumper Part 3

    http://www.29eronline.com/blog/?p=594
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,994
    Other than it being a LITTLE more bike than needed for 100-mile endurance races, I have only great things to say about the Sultan. Coming off the original version, the new DW version is the "Cake and Eat It Too" experience of better pedaling, plusher on the rough stuff, and just as stiff as the original. It just flat out flies through the pedaling chunk of roots, rocks, etc.

    Haven't ridden the RIP, but for me, the combo of made in USA, bushings over bearings, and incomparable Turner customer service seals the deal.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    474

    Also look at the new Intense Tracer 29er=5.25" travel

    Another kid on the block in this category.

  13. #13
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,994
    e-mail (or PM) both Turner and Niner and ask them their opinion of a 250# rider on technical terrain on their bikes.

    In my VERY limited experience, heavy riders on light bikes on technical terrain does NOT always make for a more long lived relationship.

    The Turner, FWIW, may be built a bit more sturdy. I seem to remember the Turner bikes running heavier than other vendor's counterparts.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Yea.. I think I ask ask each manufacturers opinions as well. I want to have the bike for a while and I am just one of those big people so durability is huge... At 235 I can see my abs so I am not getting to much lighter.

    The tracer is interesting and I wonder how sturdy it will be. I actually got to ride a spider and it seemed a little flexy...

  15. #15
    Big Wheel Homer !!
    Reputation: cruzthepug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,749
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    The Turner, FWIW, may be built a bit more sturdy. I seem to remember the Turner bikes running heavier than other vendor's counterparts.
    FWIW my XL DW Sultan frame weighs 7.2 lbs.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    997
    both are about 7.4 lbs for a large. both rears are very stiff, i would say the rip9 a little more (buy my RIB9 has DT Swiss Through bolts whereas the SUltan I rode regular QR). the front of the rip9 has tapered headtube what stiffens the front quite a bit (together with a tapered fork). also, the rip9 has guides for the remote of joplin seatpost. however, i doubt that you will have any problems with the stiffness or the integrity of either bike.

    both climb very well.

    major difference is in the geometry. the sultan has longer chainstays and a slacker geometry. IMO it rides like a tractor what is not exactly what i like on mountain bikes. for this reason i sold my sultan v1 only after a couple of months and decided after test riding the v2 as well as the niner to go for the rib9. havn't looked back since.

  17. #17
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG
    Yea.. I think I ask ask each manufacturers opinions as well. I want to have the bike for a while and I am just one of those big people so durability is huge... At 235 I can see my abs so I am not getting to much lighter.

    The tracer is interesting and I wonder how sturdy it will be. I actually got to ride a spider and it seemed a little flexy...
    each manufacturer will tell you "no problem"

    Your weight is not an issue for either bike.

    You are better off choosing based on color, price and other intangibles because these bikes are more similar than different.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    One of my worries going to a 29er is it feeling more tractor like.. and to be honest that has me leaning toward the RIP.... I am interested to see the reports on the tracer.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,994
    FWIW, Sultan V1 definitely had a bit of the above-mentioned "tractor feel", especially with a fork longer than 100 mm.

    Sultan V2, even with more travel, is more nimble than V1. A nervous xc race bike feel? Not even close, but for me, the perfect compromise between tight trail handling and bomber DH stability.

    Don't know about the Tracer's stiffness, but at 235, you'd be flexing the Spyder like a fishing rod with a trophy catch on the line.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  20. #20
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,146
    I haven't ridden the RIP9 so I can't compare. I have read other comments comparing the two and I've noticed a trend. A bunch of people are saying the RIP9 is more nimble/lighter/faster/ than the Sultan. I know neither of these bikes are designed for racing but I know the Sultan is being raced by quite a few people and I have never heard of the RIP9 being raced. If all those traits were true, wouldn't the RIP9 be raced more than the Sultan? I race mine, Kosmo races his, 6th Element races his V1 as do Benny and Greenlightgo.

    I'm not saying you'll want to race the bike but, If the Sultan really handled like a tractor, or if the weight was a prohibitive factor, or even if it wasn't stiff, would that many people be using it as an XC or endurance race bike?

    I could be wrong, If I am it just means that people are slacking and should be posting more pics of their exploits on their RIP9's.

    Here's my eye candy....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2009 RIP 9 vs DW Sultan-dscf0061.jpg  


  21. #21
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    I haven't ridden the RIP9 so I can't compare. I have read other comments comparing the two and I've noticed a trend. A bunch of people are saying the RIP9 is more nimble/lighter/faster/ than the Sultan. I know neither of these bikes are designed for racing but I know the Sultan is being raced by quite a few people and I have never heard of the RIP9 being raced. If all those traits were true, wouldn't the RIP9 be raced more than the Sultan? I race mine, Kosmo races his, 6th Element races his V1 as do Benny and Greenlightgo.
    I think those 5 people are a valid cross representation of the MTB community as a whole


  22. #22
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    You are better off choosing based on color, price and other intangibles because these bikes are more similar than different.
    This is true. I also prefer the RIP because Fo has a sultan.

    On second thought, I think now you should avoid the RIP because Squeaky has one.

    Only Lynx can solve this quandry.

    Seriously though, I rode these bikes back to back at Interbike last year and clearly preferred the handling of the RIP. Some of that is how the bikes were built for the show. With similar builds, I expect they would feel very similar. Truck like is a nice way to describe my experience with the Sultan. Sometimes, that is just want you want though.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  23. #23
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    I'm not saying you'll want to race the bike but, If the Sultan really handled like a tractor, or if the weight was a prohibitive factor, or even if it wasn't stiff, would that many people be using it as an XC or endurance race bike?
    Bikes biased towards stability like the Sultan ("trucklike" handling) are an advantage in most endurance racing situations IMO. When the rider is blown up and can barely see straight or think right, it is very, very nice to be riding between the wheels of a frame that requires minimal rider involvement to get from point A to B fast. I tend to think these bikes aren't particularly fun, but I don't do these sort of events. A highly engaging, responsive frame, while fun, late in the same sort of race could burn the rider if he is not paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  24. #24
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,146
    I wasn't making a generalized statement. I mentioned that some people are finding the Sultan to be a very efficient and excellent handling bike, enough so that they are racing it. If this is also true of the RIP9, I haven't heard about it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    509
    I rode both and ended up buying a Sultan, it just felt much better to me. I don't understand the "tractor" feel comments, maybe being 6'6" with an XXL frame it just doesn't translate the same for me.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dpastore22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    371
    My ride partner is similar in size and weight and purchased a Pivot Mach 429 XL frame. I know you we're asking between 2 other bikes but honestly I think this bike may fit your requirements perfect. It climbs amazing, DW link is plush and very reactive, light weight, and just honestly handles like a 26" bike. I personally demoed a large frame, unfortunately didnt have the money to buy one but I would not rule this bike out if your in this price range. My riding partner loves his bike and it really has made him a better climber.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    dpastore.. what kind of terrain do you guys ride.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dpastore22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    371
    I'm in GA, we have some the largest varieties of terrain from rocky, rooty, hilly to mountaineous.

  29. #29
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,356
    Turners will never be described as a point and shoot bike. They are, by design, intended to "carve" (e.g. be leaned into) turns. I haven't ridden a RIP9, but I own a JET9 and it is much more of a point and shoot experience. I personally prefer the stability (though I disagree with the "truck-like" description) of Turners. If you do a lot of high speed descending, the Sultan is a great bike.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    The Sultan isn't a slow bike. I also ride a 3" travel Titus Racer-X 29er that is two lbs lighter and the Sultan climbs extremely well. Keep in mind that I mostly climb seated on long climbs and only get up and stomp on shorter steep climbs instead of spinning them. I'd guess the RIP is a half inch shorter in wheelbase. I liked the RIP (had a 2008) but wanted a slightly slacker headangle, especially since I already had the Titus. I prefer the tighter wheelbase of the RIP but the slacker headangle is also very nice. I think the DWL is slightly snappier too (to me, the CVA feels a bit more plush/deep though so another feature difference, in my opinion).

    None of the other suspensions feels as good and as time goes on, I appreciate them more and more. I do with they would both raise their BBs a quarter inch for me though.

  31. #31
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342

    DW Sultan myths started by niner and lenz fanbois !

    It seems some here are afraid to say what they really want to say !

    1 . My DW Sultan does not handle like a truck.....I own a truck with an off road package and the bike can do circles around it !

    2. I have no problem lifting the front over obstacles what so ever....in comparison I also own a FS 26er with 16.75 " chainstays and a shorter overall wheelbase !

    3. I can easily stand and pedal ( or do sprints out of the saddle ) with my DW Sultan....... in fact its one of the few FS Bikes I've ever owned that feels comfortable to do this !

    4. Most of the trails I enjoy riding are in heavily forested areas.....were the trails are tight and twisty and lots of spots are just wide enough to clear your handlebars thru the trees.....no problem with the Sultan or for that matter any other FS bike I've owned when setup right .

    5. The Sultan is a blast to ride.......I like the difference in its geometry and wheelsize in comparison to my shorter and a bit quicker FS 26er ! I like the stability it has especially on climbs where I don't have to feel I'm putting more energy in keeping the front end down ( due to a light feeling front end ) but can just pedal up instead ! Also , steeper downhill runs are more comfortable with a stable steed especially when going over rougher terrain !

    6. I never have had a problem with my body making contact with any moving suspension parts , swingarm movement , or anything else and neither has there been reports of this being a problem with other Sultan owners that I'm aware of ! LOL !


    I could come here and say what I did't like about the RIP but I won't because I realistically didn't spend enough time on one to be honest about the bike ! I'm sure its a great bike because there seems to be a lot of happy owners but I would hands down go for the DW Sultan again in a heartbeat ! TIG.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    TIG - Thanks for the info... sounds like yo do a lot of riding like I do. Compared to your FS 26er how does the Sultan handle the tight twisties and stuff like wheelie drops or floating the front end over obstacles...Thanks..

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,974
    I think those who ride hardtails will feel that any FS over 4" is a tractor. I have owned a Moots Ti 29er and a 2008 RIP9 till recently. I now own a Sultan, a Titus Racer-X 29er, and a Lenz Behemoth. Tractor- no, amazing traction- yes.

  34. #34
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG
    TIG - Thanks for the info... sounds like yo do a lot of riding like I do. Compared to your FS 26er how does the Sultan handle the tight twisties and stuff like wheelie drops or floating the front end over obstacles...Thanks..

    A snap........its a matter of getting to know the bike is all ! Sure I can make a tighter circle with the shorter wheel based 26er.........then again the neighbor kid can probably do even better with his BMX bike in that regard ! TIG.

  35. #35
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    You are better off choosing based on color, price and other intangibles
    Hey a$$hole, if you are going to quote me at least provide a proper reference

  36. #36
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    I haven't ridden the RIP9 so I can't compare....

    I have read other comments comparing the two and I've noticed a trend. A bunch of people are saying the RIP9 is more nimble/lighter/faster/ than the Sultan. I know neither of these bikes are designed for racing but I know the Sultan is being raced by quite a few people and I have never heard of the RIP9 being raced....

    If all those traits were true, wouldn't the RIP9 be raced more than the Sultan? I race mine, Kosmo races his, 6th Element races his V1 as do Benny and Greenlightgo....

    I'm not saying you'll want to race the bike but, If the Sultan really handled like a tractor, or if the weight was a prohibitive factor, or even if it wasn't stiff, would that many people be using it as an XC or endurance race bike?
    please remove the "fo" from your username. your math is entirely retarded and you should be embarassed. read again what you wrote and tell me you actually believe that logic carries weight.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,075
    Funny people described the "nimbleness" of the Rip9 vs the "trucklike" handling of the Sultan. I rode both bikes last year at the I-bike and Turner dirt demo and had the exact opposite impression.

    Here's my I-bike reviews from last year. Scroll down a ways to find the Rip9 and Sultan.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  38. #38
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    This thread is full of contradictions.

    Just buy one of these bikes and report back to set us straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    This thread is full of contradictions.

    Just buy one of these bikes and report back to set us straight.
    Agreed! As I said in my original response, this is a great time to be buying a 29er. If the only 29er available were the Rip9 then we would all love it and be very happy. Same thing with the Sultan. Same thing with a Lenz or with a ...

    Hard to make a wrong decision.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PanFry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    753
    I love my new RIP9! The redesigned RIP9 has a lot going for it for the price of $1799 to make a very stiff frame:


    - 1.5 tapered head tube
    - Hydroformed tubing, massive top tube and down tube
    - 12mm Maxle rear end option for even more stiffness


    I don't think you can find a stiffer frame than this one in the 4"+ FS 29ers range. Round tubing cannot touch engineered hydroformed tubing in terms of stiffness.


    Niners CVA suspension is the real deal - I'd put it up against any DW or VPP design. This frame has a lot of technology for the price tag. For $2300 I got a frame AND Fox 120mm fork. Hope that helps.




    PF

    EXCUSES ARE THE NAILS IN THE COFFIN OF FAILURE.

  41. #41
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Funny people described the "nimbleness" of the Rip9 vs the "trucklike" handling of the Sultan. I rode both bikes last year at the I-bike and Turner dirt demo and had the exact opposite impression.

    Here's my I-bike reviews from last year. Scroll down a ways to find the Rip9 and Sultan.
    that is IMPOSSIBLE! how can one "opinion" on the internet for something entirely subjective be different than somebody else's "opinion" based on their different subjective likes and dislikes? WTF?

    in summary, idiots on MTBR are endless and the only bigger idiots are the idiots that buy anything based on what their idiotic mind reads on mtbr. and that, is not an opinion, but a fact

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,235

    Summary

    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is IMPOSSIBLE! how can one "opinion" on the internet for something entirely subjective be different than somebody else's "opinion" based on their different subjective likes and dislikes? WTF?

    in summary, idiots on MTBR are endless and the only bigger idiots are the idiots that buy anything based on what their idiotic mind reads on mtbr. and that, is not an opinion, but a fact
    I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really...hate it when Fo is right.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is IMPOSSIBLE! how can one "opinion" on the internet for something entirely subjective be different than somebody else's "opinion" based on their different subjective likes and dislikes? WTF?

    in summary, idiots on MTBR are endless and the only bigger idiots are the idiots that buy anything based on what their idiotic mind reads on mtbr. and that, is not an opinion, but a fact
    Your right.. getting opinions on a product I am about to spend a ton of money on is dumb.. I am an idiot.. mine as well lock the thread.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    that is IMPOSSIBLE! how can one "opinion" on the internet for something entirely subjective be different than somebody else's "opinion" based on their different subjective likes and dislikes?
    Yes, but I did an in depth "Pro Review" and channeled tscheezy for my opinion therefore it is infallible.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Hopefully Niner and Turner will be at Outdoor Demo East so I can actually have a shot at trying them... of course I need to try an get myself in on Friday which may be impossible.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,235

    Class

    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG
    Your right.. getting opinions on a product I am about to spend a ton of money on is dumb.. I am an idiot.. mine as well lock the thread.
    Fo has about as much class as a crack whore........but (again this kills me) he is right.

    The best "Pro Review" is the one you do yourself.

    The MTBR sheeple follow these rules:

    1. The more expensive the better it is.
    2. If it is made in the US it is better.
    3. If it is “custom” it is better.
    4. Whoever has the most posts on MTBR has the more valuable opinion.
    5. If you refer to the frame manufacturer by their first name….it is better.
    6. If it is the “newest” suspension technology…..it is better.
    7. The more gnar pictures you post on MTBR….your bike is better.
    8. Whatever bike they have is the best

  47. #47
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Fo has about as much class as a crack whore........but (again this kills me) he is right.

    The best "Pro Review" is the one you do yourself.

    The MTBR sheeple follow these rules:

    1. The more expensive the better it is.
    2. If it is made in the US it is better.
    3. If it is “custom” it is better.
    4. Whoever has the most posts on MTBR has the more valuable opinion.
    5. If you refer to the frame manufacturer by their first name….it is better.
    6. If it is the “newest” suspension technology…..it is better.
    7. The more gnar pictures you post on MTBR….your bike is better.
    8. Whatever bike they have is the best
    9. The longer the wait for the frame, the more "custom" it must be
    10. A frame weight over 10 lbs for a singlespeed and getting passed in the queue because someone's wife bribed the "custom builder" are also traits of higher exclusivity.

    But I'll wait til 29 Inches renders final judgement

  48. #48
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,090
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    9. The longer the wait for the frame, the more "custom" it must be
    10. A frame weight over 10 lbs for a singlespeed and getting passed in the queue because someone's wife bribed the "custom builder" are also traits of higher exclusivity.

    But I'll wait til 29 Inches renders final judgement
    .........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeeZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    6,235

    Yep

    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    9. The longer the wait for the frame, the more "custom" it must be
    10. A frame weight over 10 lbs for a singlespeed and getting passed in the queue because someone's wife bribed the "custom builder" are also traits of higher exclusivity.

    But I'll wait til 29 Inches renders final judgement
    11. If you have to send out an APB on MTBR to find your builder that ran off with your deposit…that is the ultimate in exclusivity.

  50. #50
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    9. The longer the wait for the frame, the more "custom" it must be
    10. A frame weight over 10 lbs for a singlespeed and getting passed in the queue because someone's wife bribed the "custom builder" are also traits of higher exclusivity.

    But I'll wait til 29 Inches renders final judgement
    very important additions...thanks, and here are a few more

    12) ensure that braking technique tips are taken from people using 2 fingers for braking

    13) it is best to take pictures of the same rock at least 10K times a week in case a newbie becomes available to be impressed

    14) smoking cigarettes increases your chances of becoming a National DH Champ

    15) having sex with sheep requires an English accent

    16) owning a Porsche is an even better way to broadcast your small penis size when owning a 29er alone wont suffice

    17) become friends with guys at PUSH industries so you can repeat what they tell you online so people retarded enough might think you know something about suspension

    18) deal with your attention whore disorder by having other people submit your pictures to Dirt Rag for you

  51. #51
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Yes, but I did an in depth "Pro Review" and channeled tscheezy for my opinion therefore it is infallible.
    tscheezy was involved? hell, why didnt you just say so? that changes everything!

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    890
    Anyone hear about the Wes Williams-Mint Zanotti Roast, hosted by Matt Chester?

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee
    Fo has about as much class as a crack whore........but (again this kills me) he is right.

    The best "Pro Review" is the one you do yourself.

    The MTBR sheeple follow these rules:

    1. The more expensive the better it is.
    2. If it is made in the US it is better.
    3. If it is “custom” it is better.
    4. Whoever has the most posts on MTBR has the more valuable opinion.
    5. If you refer to the frame manufacturer by their first name….it is better.
    6. If it is the “newest” suspension technology…..it is better.
    7. The more gnar pictures you post on MTBR….your bike is better.
    8. Whatever bike they have is the best

    I honestly do agree he has a valid point as well. I can really give a s**t what brand my bike is if the colors match and what others think when they see it. I do want to be able to beat the crap out of it and have it not brake and preferably not be an anchor. Hell I ride an Iron Horse now which is very un-cool.. Hell you can buy a Iron Horse at Sports Authority so they obviously suck.

    It does seem that the guys out on the west coast have better access to ride/demo these bikes. The closets shop that sells niners is 2 states away from me and the closest Sultan demo is 2 states in the other direction.. and that sucks. I think I should just move.

  54. #54
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyFXDWG
    I honestly do agree he has a valid point as well. I can really give a s**t what brand my bike is if the colors match and what others think when they see it. I do want to be able to beat the crap out of it and have it not brake and preferably not be an anchor. Hell I ride an Iron Horse now which is very un-cool.. Hell you can buy a Iron Horse at Sports Authority so they obviously suck.

    It does seem that the guys out on the west coast have better access to ride/demo these bikes. The closets shop that sells niners is 2 states away from me and the closest Sultan demo is 2 states in the other direction.. and that sucks. I think I should just move.
    LOL...Jeremy, you should not move. I guarantee that while the riding is year round, the people living in SoCal anyway are complete aholes!

    as for demoing, yeah, that is tough. but doesnt competitive cyclist have demos etc where they ship to you? i know...easy for me to say as it aint my coin

    also, rule 19 is to never acknowlege anything i say as having ANY merit whatsoever! DeeZee is semi retarded so he doesn't know any better

  55. #55
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,090
    Shut up Fo. Your terminal doucheyness is staggering.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  56. #56
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,433
    Just wanted to get in on teh first page.....

  57. #57
    Powered by ice cream.
    Reputation: Enel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,337
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Turners will never be described as a point and shoot bike. They are, by design, intended to "carve" (e.g. be leaned into) turns. I haven't ridden a RIP9, but I own a JET9 and it is much more of a point and shoot experience. I personally prefer the stability (though I disagree with the "truck-like" description) of Turners. If you do a lot of high speed descending, the Sultan is a great bike.
    I like your description of the handling. In my short experience, the Sultan felt more stable, and the Niner more nervous if you will. The differences were again minor. Anyone could adapt to either, and I would absolutely put them in the "more similar than different" category Squeaky noted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

  58. #58
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,434
    so which rig is more plush? I ride a Knolly(ies) and since they don't make 29ers I'm looking at these two rigs in my top 3. I need plush for the New England chunkiness that I ride, also enjoy drops and rollers so plush helps there too...

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zion Rasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,420
    I test rode the sultan and it does feel tractor like, not very fast, in fact hard to pedal.

    Have you tried going the steel rout? You could build a vassago or an MCR Niner with lots of bling and it will ride better than the two bikes under analysis....

    I pass people on their RIPs on my SS, up and down. I feel for them all the time because every time I see people in FS 29er they are slow and suffering up a bunch or walking the tech stuff....

    I think most riders are not going to ride chunky, but are going for the cush. I think that is a old trait of 26er riders where the HT will beat you up and FS actually help that case.
    Sit and spin my ass...

  60. #60
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    I pass people on their RIPs on my SS, up and down. I feel for them all the time because every time I see people in FS 29er they are slow and suffering up a bunch or walking the tech stuff....
    LOL...i would pay to see that. Perhaps you should try to ride trails other than those behind the convalescent home

  61. #61
    BMF
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    593
    Honestly you can't go wrong with either choice. I have a RIP ('07, before the recent improvements) and an RFX. Both Niner and Turner are in a separate class IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another RIP. I would say Niner is a step ahead on FS 29ers, they have 3 models, are releasing a new Jet and just revised the RIP. They don't rest. And it's less dinero. So, right now the RIP would get my vote, but again I don't think you can go wrong with this decision.

  62. #62
    change is good
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    I second demoing the Pivot. I personally don't like more than 4in for my main ride here in the midwest. I like "XC" more than"trail". I more or less weigh the same as you and it is a tough bike. However, in the rough stuff I prefer my PUSHed Ventana.

  63. #63
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,994
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    Have you tried going the steel rout? You could build a vassago or an MCR Niner with lots of bling and it will ride better than the two bikes under analysis....
    Cody Baron ought to love tihs comment ... in the spring I put together a rigid Niner MCR (2nd hand small frame, 2nd hand Pace RC29 carbon fork, hand-me-down carbon h-bar, recycled hubs on new-2-me rims, get the picture?) and I gotta say that I can happily ride a surprising amount of chunk with it. Slower, for sure, on the downhill. Faster uphill in most cases, but not all, quite. I like to keep the tires closer to the ground than my 7" travel 26er FS. But with the Niner having 2.2" tubeless tires it's a pretty nice ride. For the money, certainly a consideration.

    Now, if you're DEINITELY going to be riding terrain that really demands it, or at speeds that demand it, or your body and joints demand it, then by all means FS away ... but the steel/carbon mix is a really good option. I'd suspect with a steel fork it'd be pretty nice too, but I haven't tried it yet.

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    17
    If you are a bigger guy definitly go with the Turner Sultan. I have ridden with many 29" riders. I have seen 3 Niner RIP rear triangles crack already. Niner has replaced them but do you always want to worry about that. The people with Turners have no problems with their bikes ever. You Know how it is you get what you pay for! Just wanted to let you know what I have seen out there.

  65. #65
    what a joke
    Reputation: ozlongboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,279
    20. Who ever shouts the loudest and speaks with the most authority must be right.....always!
    21. Using the same products promoted by members of #20 means your are legit.
    22. Beware of members who are industry linked (in any way) as they will recruit the members of #20 to help promote their junk.
    23.If you have funky handlebars you are also legit.


    blah blah blah

  66. #66
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscopd
    If you are a bigger guy definitly go with the Turner Sultan. I have ridden with many 29" riders. I have seen 3 Niner RIP rear triangles crack already. Niner has replaced them but do you always want to worry about that. The people with Turners have no problems with their bikes ever. You Know how it is you get what you pay for! Just wanted to let you know what I have seen out there.

    Yeah...Turners NEVER fail......

    Attached Images Attached Images

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Cody Baron ought to love tihs comment ... in the spring I put together a rigid Niner MCR (2nd hand small frame, 2nd hand Pace RC29 carbon fork, hand-me-down carbon h-bar, recycled hubs on new-2-me rims, get the picture?) and I gotta say that I can happily ride a surprising amount of chunk with it. Slower, for sure, on the downhill. Faster uphill in most cases, but not all, quite. I like to keep the tires closer to the ground than my 7" travel 26er FS. But with the Niner having 2.2" tubeless tires it's a pretty nice ride. For the money, certainly a consideration.

    Now, if you're DEINITELY going to be riding terrain that really demands it, or at speeds that demand it, or your body and joints demand it, then by all means FS away ... but the steel/carbon mix is a really good option. I'd suspect with a steel fork it'd be pretty nice too, but I haven't tried it yet.

    I can appreciate this perspective. I just swapper out a dekerf steel 26er for a Inbred 29er. I love the way steel rides and I like riding those bikes on more "mellow" trails. I do however like to ride techy rough stuff, I like to go fast and I want to keep doing that for a long time to come. My body sure did appreciate the first ride I took on my FS after I finally gave into the FS "fad" this year.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    137
    I may have to add a 429 with a 120mm fork to my demo list. I was talking to the LBS the other day and I might be able to get a screamin deal on a frame.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,073
    Late to the game, but as loads have said, you can't go wrong with either, both companies have excellent customer service and stand behind their products and have excellent suspension. If money is a factor the RIP9 definitely gets the nod as you can get the frame and fork for about what the Sultan frame sells for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  70. #70
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Yeah...Turners NEVER fail......

    that's an unfair post. that frame belongs to somebody who is often pictured in Dirt Rag which means he is far more gnar than the average rider

  71. #71
    T , V , & K Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2,342

    two other lame reasons

    24. FS 29ers are for wimps....I much rather get beatin up on a full rigid any day !

    25. Hey newbie , don't you know how to do a search....I have better things to do than to answer your lame questions ( well, I am an E-rider on the internet 24/7 but still ) ....just sayin ! TIG.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    890
    I want a fully rigid just so I can pretend to be badazz. Money is tight though but I must elevate my status soon. That and a pair of Dickies and some H-bars or even gheyer drop-bars will be perfect.

  73. #73
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    I want a fully rigid just so I can pretend to be badazz. Money is tight though but I must elevate my status soon. That and a pair of Dickies and some H-bars or even gheyer drop-bars will be perfect.
    A fully rigid would be your first smart bike decision

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueMountain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    890
    I just want one so I can wear Dickies and not bathe but still be revered.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    A fully rigid would be your first smart bike decision

  75. #75
    Peace & Love
    Reputation: FoShizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    17,281
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    I want a fully rigid just so I can pretend to be badazz.
    for you, it would be pretending

  76. #76
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    10,708
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMountain
    I just want one so I can wear Dickies and not bathe but still be revered.
    I do not wear Dickies

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.