2009 Fox 32 RL 100mm F 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2009 Fox 32 RL 100mm F 29

Before anyone asks I have searched and looked at reviews. I'm looking at getting a sus fork for my older frame. I'm used to riding rigid so want something not too plush - perhaps more for big hits and that can be locked out for climbs. I have been offered some of these 2nd hand - from what I've read they don't have the new FIT damper (is that right?).

Are these worth considering? I'm on a budget so please don't say new Reba Teams!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Well…you will be hard-pressed to find a new Fox fork for less than a Reba. Worth considering, depends on budget. I believe I remember reading the 2010 F29 series uses a different version of the “FIT” system.

For more specific info about the F29 See:
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...011/index.html

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks - that's a start.

Anyone used this fork that can chime in with feedback?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Clink
    Thanks - that's a start.

Anyone used this fork that can chime in with feedback?
    I've been riding one of these this season. Started on the 80mm setting. Recently moved it to 100mm. So far it has been an excellent fork. It is stiff, smooth, and has good tire/mud clearance (much better than the Reba). I don't use the lockout much although it is nice to have. Maybe I'd use it more if it had a remote switch.

I'd recommend the fork.

jrm
    mtbr member

There is a almost new

Before anyone asks I have searched and looked at reviews. I'm looking at getting a sus fork for my older frame. I'm used to riding rigid so want something not too plush - perhaps more for big hits and that can be locked out for climbs. I have been offered some of these 2nd hand - from what I've read they don't have the new FIT damper (is that right?).

Are these worth considering? I'm on a budget so please don't say new Reba Teams!
    Im using a F29 RLC on a older frame spec'd for a fork with a 39mm offset. The additional offset of the F29 (44mm), 9mm RWS thru axle along with the 100mm of travel is great. I think taking some time to tune the fork will allow you to set it up the way you want it.

Psssttttt....theres a F29 120 w/ 15mm in the classifieds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Psssttttt....theres a F29 120 w/ 15mm in the classifieds
    Seen that and just replied - but it's a tapered steerer so don't think it will work in my frame...

Stayin' Puft
    I had a 2009 F29, now I have the 2010. The biggest difference I noticed was that the 2010 does not make the sneezing sound going over bumps that the 2009 made. I actually sort of liked the sneezing sound, it let me know when the sus was kicking in. I got the 2010 going into a new frame where I wanted a slightly longer steerer to work with my higher BB.

I ride singlespeed, so I have the fork locked out a lot of the time for out-of-saddle riding, but the blowoff works really well on the Fox forks so it still absorbs the big hits. I'm not the most discriminating sus fork user by a long shot, but the F29 2009 is a nice fork. Make sure it is a 44mm offset and not a G2-Fisher geometry model you are looking at.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    but the blowoff works really well on the Fox forks
    Thanks. Does the 'blowoff' still work on the RL model, or is it just the RLC?

Stayin' Puft
    Thanks. Does the 'blowoff' still work on the RL model, or is it just the RLC?
    HMM...good question. I had the RLC so can't say for certain. According to the 09 manuals, the fork will still blowoff on hard impact, but the illustration does not show a blowoff threshold adjustment:
    http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...9EnglishOM.pdf

The RL's out there are likely OEM models that came on complete-bikes. I would guess the blowoff default is a little on the hard side, but still works as it is needed to protect the fork internals from being damaged while the lockout is turned on.

Having the adjustment is really nice, but...like all technology, it's pay to play...

Members who have read this thread: 1