2008 Kona Hei Hei- Mtbr.com
    Transplant

2008 Kona Hei Hei

Who else is pumped for this bike? This is what I have been begging Kona for! It's awesome to see them finally come through. I think the best part is that it's scandium and it will cost less then $2500! That is a rocking price in my book for the parts spec and the frame. Has anyone else seen the Sun EQ 2.3 rims? I have never even heard of them! Well check out the part spec for the up and coming release: https://www.konaworld.com/08_heihei29.htm

Harmonius Wrench

Interesting bike

I like the idea, but the execution of the idea is a bit lacking, in my opinion. Take the Hayes Bicycle group stuff and put it on a bike, (brakes, rims), but where's the fork this bike deserves? Where's the Manitou? (Hayes owned) Kind of weird there.

Not that a Reba is "bad", but you could have had a Manitou with more travel and offset which would have made this an even better XC machine, again- my opinion.

The M-525 hubs are another let down in a bike of this price that's supposed to be an XC bike. Bomber hub, but a bit portly. Throw the seat post, saddle, bar, and stem on that while were at it.

Ahh, the world of bike spec! I'd hate to be having to do that for a living. It's much easier playing "armchair bike geek" at home!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Devil Mtn
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    Who else is pumped for this bike?
    I like it ... not sure I want 29" wheels for some of the tighter singletrack courses but for some courses i'm sure they are great.

I'd still like them to put out a FS frame with more traditional race geometry (like the Hei Hei) in straight aluminum (lower cost). The Hei Hei was expensive last year and most of the FS race frames (Anthem, ASR-sl, etc.) are pricey while frames like the Kikapu are relatively cheap. Seems like someone could put out a light, inexpensive FS race frame ... the NRS frame used to be that very thing ... maybe I am missing something but there seems to be no equivalent right now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I loved the 07 hei hei bikes...but im sick of all of these companies ***** footing around what riders are looking for. Y'll seem to be looking for a 5" complete bike, while the rest of us are looking for a all out 3" complete race bike with full XO or XTR. Companies search these forums to get on the inside and come out with half ass bikes that they thing will sell well. I have told my inside people this for 2 years at a major bike company, "come out with a complete 5" bike with XT for 3000 and they will snatch em up as fast as you can make em" Someday they the big companies will learn that they are 3-5 years behind the market.

bikerpilot
    Ok, I'm really new to this whole 29er thing, but I've noticed something I didn't expect. The 29ers are using the same chainrings and cassettes as 26ers. 44/32/22 up front, I thought they'd go a little smaller, at least in the low gear, to make up for the larger wheel. And this Hei-Hei even shows an 11-32 cassette. I like to run an 11-32 on my 26", but that would seem like a big gear on the low end to push on a 29er. Is it not enough difference to tell? Maybe a 22 up front with an 11-34 on a 29er would give about the same range as a 22 w/ 11-32 on a 26er?

I only ride a 29er SS right now, but my Stumpy FSR 29er is on the way!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Build Stronger Legs!!

bikerpilot
    That's why I'm on the SS!!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    38 16 Ss.....ftw!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's nice, but Kona always seem to have a disappointing spec for the price. The mid-range bikes always have cheap wheels for instance. I definitely expect better than m525 hubs on any bike over $1500.

elbow gloves
    I liked the Hei Hei better when it was a Ti hardtail. That would be a real treat from Kona.

Welsh Dave
    Jul 2005
    There's a 26 inch Ti hardtail in the 2008 Kona catalogue. Just like last year.
    But there are a few "issues" (INO)

Since dis-continuing the old T Hei-Hei they've gone and used the "Hei-Hei" name on that aluminium full suss thing pictured above;

The new Ti hardtail doesn't come in 29er, and;

It's TOTALLY fugly.

All in all, nothing to get excited about and certainly not a patch on my lovely '98 Ti Kona.

Like mboeder said above: Give them a few more years and they'll slowly start to get it right.

In FTF We Trust
    If I didn't already have my Vicious Groover and that bike came in under 30 lbs. I'd be all over it. I've owned a few Konas and have been impressed by the company in general. The wheel spec. doesn't surprise me much; the hubs are an acceptable compromise; at least they're Shimano.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Future Rainbow Jersey

I like it...

I think it's spec'ed pretty nicely for $2500. I wonder how it rides...
    "If I can't work to make it...I'll rob to take it..."

bike dork
    Quote Originally Posted by arkadi
    It's nice, but Kona always seem to have a disappointing spec for the price. The mid-range bikes always have cheap wheels for instance. I definitely expect better than m525 hubs on any bike over $1500.
    My thoughts as well, that's why I bought a Kula 2-9 frame and went from there... My build came out cheaper than the complete bike with nicer parts all around. Well, nicer is a subjective term I suppose - most folks probably wouldn't want a 1X8 XTR/XT drivetrain and BB7s anyway..

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I was thinking about building a Kula 2-9 with a 2008 Fox F29 in front.
    Looks like the fork would match the color of Hei-Hei 2-9 equally.
    Might change target if the frame price appears to be reasonable.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted

Not that a Reba is "bad", but you could have had a Manitou with more travel and offset which would have made this an even better XC machine, again- my opinion.
    Yeah, but then you'd have a Manitou. The Reba however, is dependable and plush.

I really don't know of many folks excited to sample a Manitou again.

small member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dave
    There's a 26 inch Ti hardtail in the 2008 Kona catalogue. Just like last year.
    What model are you talking about? I cant find it...

Harmonius Wrench

Yes, however.........

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Yeah, but then you'd have a Manitou. The Reba however, is dependable and plush.

The same feelings towards SRAM/Rock Shox was evident here before the Reba too.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    The same feelings towards SRAM/Rock Shox was evident here before the Reba too.
    Touché.

Now lets discuss the customer service dept. of each company...

Harmonius Wrench

Well..........

Touché.

Now lets discuss the customer service dept. of each company...
    That's going to be difficult since Manitou has moved everything to Mequon, Wisconsin after the buyout by Hayes. It's going to take time to see whether or not they step up their game.

SRAM/Rock Shox customer service has been stellar in my experience of late. YMMV
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Quote Originally Posted by kinkcrazy
    I liked the Hei Hei better when it was a Ti hardtail. That would be a real treat from Kona.
    Exactly my thought. As a previous Hei Hei owner it's not a real Hei Hei until it's a Ti framed hardtail. I almost feel like they just renamed the Lotus a Vega. Ugh!

Short of my Curtlo, the Hei Hei was the nicest bike I've ever owned and really the only bike I ever regret letting go of.

mtbr member

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Now that's pretty.

small member
    Jun 2006
    agreed.
    Let's start cluttering kona's mail box with King Kahuna 2-9 requests!

i heart singletrack
    Apparently we're not running in the same pack of riders...
    I like bikes

In FTF We Trust
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Speed
    Now that's pretty.
    That chainstay yoke is hideous though; looks way out of place on that nice tidy race frame.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Members who have read this thread: 0