2007 XXIX + Suspension Fork - OK?- Mtbr.com
    banned

2007 XXIX + Suspension Fork - OK?

I have one of the original Raleigh XXIX singlespeeds from 2007 with the non-suspension corrected geometry. While I absolutely LOVE the way the bike handles on singletrack with the low front end, I have developed some back/neck issues that necessitate me getting a suspension fork. I know Raleigh has made the XXIX+G model since the inception of the of the SS model, and I believe it started as an 80mm fork and is now offered as a 100mm fork. I don't believe that the actual frame geometry has changed since the beginning (other than a longer seat tube?), and I read somewhere the XXIX SS and the XXIX+G frames are the same and always have been. So my questions are a) is that true and b) will a 100mm fork hose up my geometry that bad? I realize what the longer A-C does to handling, makes it slower and can make "wheel flop" in slow technical corners.

Otherwise I will just have to buy a new frame/fork.

TIA

Apr 2007
    The 07 XXIX wasn't suspension corrected. While that doesn't mean your bike will implode upon install of a fork, handling might take an unfavorable turn. If you're going to get a fork, at least get an 80mm instead of the 100.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    The 07 XXIX wasn't suspension corrected. While that doesn't mean your bike will implode upon install of a fork, handling might take an unfavorable turn. If you're going to get a fork, at least get an 80mm instead of the 100.
    While your travel suggestion is dead on, this is one of the most misunderstood frames in 29"er history.

The best way to explain this is to forget all about suspension correction.

Instead, Raleigh made two variants, the only thing being different was one had an EBB, the other did not. This is the only difference. Angles, tubing, everything else is spot on identical. Ok?

They put a suspension fork on the non-EBB frame and called it the XXIX+G, they put a short fork on the other with the EBB and called it the XXIX.

Make sense?

Throughout the years, Raleigh made a minor change to the seat tube length, (starting with the 2008 models) and then went to a split shell EBB, (2010)

Other than spec changes, the XXIX and XXIX+G have not had angles changed. Forks? That's a different matter. They have gotten longer, both the suspended ones, (up to 100mm travel) and rigid, (up to 490mm axle to crown), but you could take a 2007 XXIX fork, put it on a 2011 XXIX+G, and it would have the same head/seat tube angles as your 2007 XXIX.

In other words, Raleigh keeps making the "same" frame, (albeit with minor detail changes) and slaps different forks on it with no regard to "correction" for suspension, or longer travel forks.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

banned
    OK GT, well I know you had a chance to ride the 2011 XXIX+G on twentynineinches.com, did it handle terribly with the 100mm fork?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    OK GT, well I know you had a chance to ride the 2011 XXIX+G on twentynineinches.com, did it handle terribly with the 100mm fork?
    Actually, the 2011's are not available yet. Soon though.....

And as far as steering response, it should be just like the 2010 which I have ridden briefly in the XXIX, (rigid fork).

Personally, I do not care for the ultra long trail figure which results in a "chopper-like" feel in slower speed riding. Get the bike up to speed on some wider open trail, (longer sight lines) and it may come into its own there.

I have a friend who owns the 2010 XXIX+G and feels similarly about the bike's handling. It isn't for everybody, but some folks might dig it.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Members who have read this thread: 0