2007 Jamis Dakota vs 2011 Trek Marlin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Good job! 2007 Jamis Dakota vs 2011 Trek Marlin

so...

Near me I have 2 used bikes for sale:
    2007 Jamis Dakota (pretty sure its the Sport, not comp)
    says it has been barely ridden, the bike looks good in pics.
    no upgrades
    for $450

or

2011 Trek Marlin
    Says its been ridden only 1 time. Owner claims the Bike new with bottle holders, pedals, bike saddle cost $1100 (but from what i found msrp is like $670 so i donno)
    He wants $599

Now, I think the msrp on the Jamis Sport was like 1k. Give that both bikes are in great condition, I am not sure which would be a better value. Both seem good but I am kind of torn. Reviews are saying that the Marlin fork is bad, but I will likely not be doing too much Hard core stuff where it will REALLY matter. It seems that the Jamis is a higher quality bike.. but it's also older.

Any feedback or input on these 2 bikes?

Thanks a TON!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I get it, they arent high end bikes... but I am a newb and just need some feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marlin has current geo short chainstays, slack head tube angle and short wheelbase. Throw a 200-250 Reba fork on for an X-Cal ride. Price is high so bargain.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I appreciate the feedback. I am a newbie so I dont know if all you said is good or bad ;-)

also, overall, which is a better buy? The Marlin because that's all you responded to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would choose the Marlin because it will be a good bike geo wise. Then a better bike if you change the fork. Make sure you ride it to get the right size-- an XL(21') is good for 6'3" give or take.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am not a expert on either bike but, it sounds like they are in about the same condition. I would not be afraid of the Jamis the Dakota has always been a good value. (IMO) Do you want a hardtail or a double boinger?

Members who have read this thread: 1