2005 voodoo dambala- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

2005 voodoo dambala

I've dug all around the forum posts hunting for info on various frames and read the 2004 voodoo had hardly any tire clearance but then read they were supposedly making it better for 2005.

can anyone enlighten me as to whether they actually did this? i'd be single speeding with discs and would be happy with the mythos 2.1 in the rear or something comparable.

any other concerns i should have for this frame? i really can't find much info on it besides the geometry.

weight? cost? what rigid fork would work well?

thanks for any input.

paintbucket
    I think you could email or call Joe Murray from the voodoocycles.net site about whether the chainstays have been modified and get an honest answer. Certainly he was aware of the issue. What I wound up doing was trimming the outermost knobs of my MotoRaptor 2.1 with a razor knife. Clearance is no longer an issue and I haven't missed those knobs yet. I also reported the weight of my 20" frame here, so a search should turn it up. Five lbs and a little change as I recall As for the fork, according to Joe the frame is designed around a 470mm axle-to-crown height. A KMonkey fork is right at 468mm (but is brutally stiff I found).

Edit: And FYI, I love this bike. With the exception of the clearance I wouldn't change a thing, and now that I've figured out a workaround I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again even if the stays haven't been modified.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I think you could email or call Joe Murray from the voodoocycles.net site about whether the chainstays have been modified and get an honest answer. Certainly he was aware of the issue. What I wound up doing was trimming the outermost knobs of my MotoRaptor 2.1 with a razor knife. Clearance is no longer an issue and I haven't missed those knobs yet. I also reported the weight of my 20" frame here, so a search should turn it up. Five lbs and a little change as I recall As for the fork, according to Joe the frame is designed around a 470mm axle-to-crown height. A KMonkey fork is right at 468mm (but is brutally stiff I found).

Edit: And FYI, I love this bike. With the exception of the clearance I wouldn't change a thing, and now that I've figured out a workaround I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again even if the stays haven't been modified.
    Thanks for the feedback. i emailed them and they responded within a few hours and said the following:

2005 models will most likely be available by the end of february but perhaps slightly after.
    2005 geometry will be pretty much the same only they will offer a larger sized frame.

I guess I would pull from that the 'stays aren't being changed. he said tire clearance shouldn't be an issue with the tires currently available but obviously it is a slight issue. i don't know the motoraptors besides the 26" 2.4 variety and they have some pretty beefy tread. I plan on using IRC Mythos 2.1 xc. perhaps they would fit better without modification which i would really like to avoid!

This is though. i change my mind every 5 minutes whether I want to drop a large chunk of change on a fancy custom, stick with the karate monkey(i really liked the 1x1's ride just not the horizontal dropouts) or go for a slightly more expensive frame like the VooDoo or ??? heh..

mtbr member

Mythos 2.1's fit in the '04 Dambala frame

I posted about poor tire clearance on my '04 dambala. The frame was not a correct 29" Dambala frame and I was able to have it changed out. The replacement (still an '04 model) fits the Mythos XC tire. You probably couldn't have the drops all the way forward, but I have plenty of clearance with the dropouts about 1/2 way back. My 20" frame (the replacment one) weighed in at 5.20lbs with canti posts and collar.

I should probably go search on my old post and update it. Sorry if my prior posts have misled to you. I like my dambala frame a lot. I would not want to discourage you from getting one.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by npstaehling
    I posted about poor tire clearance on my '04 dambala. The frame was not a correct 29" Dambala frame and I was able to have it changed out. The replacement (still an '04 model) fits the Mythos XC tire. You probably couldn't have the drops all the way forward, but I have plenty of clearance with the dropouts about 1/2 way back. My 20" frame (the replacment one) weighed in at 5.20lbs with canti posts and collar.

I should probably go search on my old post and update it. Sorry if my prior posts have misled to you. I like my dambala frame a lot. I would not want to discourage you from getting one.
    Thanks for the update. I guess my final question that everyone thus far has ignored is what is the retail or the price i could expect to get this thing?

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Thanks for the update. I guess my final question that everyone thus far has ignored is what is the retail or the price i could expect to get this thing?
    I'm not ignoring that question, I just don't have an answer for you. Have your lbs call BTI for pricing.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    I'm not ignoring that question, I just don't have an answer for you. Have your lbs call BTI for pricing.
    They are, was just hoping to get some feedback so I can get the best price because I really have no idea what this frame is going for.

zeebot
    I'm getting it for 650. seems like a good price for an 853 steel frame with the dropouts i think i'll like much more than my current EBB design.

bti told my bike shop they will not be making a 20" size for 2005, fwiw.

mtbr member

2005 Dambala

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    I'm getting it for 650. seems like a good price for an 853 steel frame with the dropouts i think i'll like much more than my current EBB design.

bti told my bike shop they will not be making a 20" size for 2005, fwiw.
    It is true that there will not be a 20" but there will be a 19" w/ 23.5" TT and a 21" w/ 24.25"TT. Tubing will also be changed to Reynolds 631. Tire clearance was checked for the new WTB 2.3" tire and should be fine.

An updated website and new catalog should be available soon. - jb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoojb
    It is true that there will not be a 20" but there will be a 19" w/ 23.5" TT and a 21" w/ 24.25"TT. Tubing will also be changed to Reynolds 631. Tire clearance was checked for the new WTB 2.3" tire and should be fine.

An updated website and new catalog should be available soon. - jb
    What is your web site address???

mtbr member

VooDoo Website

www.voodoocycles.net

Most of the new stuff is up now, but I warn that the site is NOT finished being updated.

Gracias. - jb