2.3 WTB...new news? old news? not news?- Mtbr.com
    bike geek

2.3 WTB...new news? old news? not news?

Was just out getting some beans from Peet's, where it seems everyone who's out on a bike today congregates both pre and post ride, and I saw the first other 29er (besides mine, that is) in Marin. The aluminum frame didn't have decals, so as this guy rode by, I asked who made the frame (it looked very Gary Fisher weld and tubing-wise) and he said it wasn't production. Then he volunteered that he also had a non-production 2.3 tire up front. I didn't recognize the tread pattern, and at first I thought it looked more Ritchey-esque than Nanoraptor, but he said it was a WTB, which is logical since their headquarters are only half a mile from where we were. When I asked him when it'd be available to the public, he said probably 3 months. He had to run, so that was the extent of the conversation. It looked pretty good, a little fatter, taller, and higher volume overall than my 2.1 Nano, so it should turn out to be the real deal we're all waiting for. Good news!

My gloves stink

Promises, promises...

Almost exactly 6 months ago, I stopped by the posh WTB corporate megaplex on Miller Ave to ask about a 2.3 29er tire. Here's what I posted at that time about my conversation with them:

I stopped by WTB today (6/17/04)...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...and the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hey, I don't suppose you guys would have some spare 29 inch Nanos getting in your way that you'd be happy to get rid of (cheap)?"

WTB guy: "Extras? Are you kidding? We can't make them fast enough. We make them in 500 tire lots and the next two lots are already committed to our distributors. No, we don't have any extras, and if you find some in a shop, buy 'em, or you may end up having to wait a while".

Me: "So I guess this could be something of a problem".

WTB guy: "Yes, but from our perspective, as far as problems go, it's a good one".

Me: "Are the rumors true about the 2.3 version? When will it be available?"

WTB: "Oh yeah, it's true. A fluffy 55mm casing. We figure every 29er owner will want some. It's a 2005 model, which means they should be available sometime in Oct or Nov of this year".

Me: "Hey, you should stop by the 29er board on mtbr.com and keep the gang informed. We're all starving for tidbits of information".

WTB: "Yeah."
    Last edited by Appendage; 12-18-2004 at 02:55 PM. Reason: fdafda

Recovering couch patato
    Yes, and the tire we've been waiting for, is announced be 50/55, or exactly the same volume as the Nano, with a bit of extra bite.
    I can't help but fear that WTB has more than just good problems right now, adding this to what was posted here this week.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Appendage]Almost exactly 6 months ago, I stopped by the posh WTB corporate megaplex on Miller Ave to ask about a 2.3 29er tire.

hehe, the word Posh & Megaplex must have been thrown in for sarcasm right? or have they changed the place.

either way, i hope they always keep the dinky joint and spend more money on producing 29" tires.

thanks for the info
    nate

My gloves stink

The WTB Corporate Megaplex...

[QUOTE=cursivearmy]
    Quote Originally Posted by Appendage
    Almost exactly 6 months ago, I stopped by the posh WTB corporate megaplex on Miller Ave to ask about a 2.3 29er tire.

hehe, the word Posh & Megaplex must have been thrown in for sarcasm right? or have they changed the place.

either way, i hope they always keep the dinky joint and spend more money on producing 29" tires.

thanks for the info
    nate
    ...is the same as it ever was...an old shack converted into an office and a large garage used as a warehouse. As humble as it is, with rents being what they are in Mill Valley, it still probably isn't all that cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

having ridden that bike:

[QUOTE=tamjam]Was just out getting some beans from Peet's, where it seems everyone who's out on a bike today congregates both pre and post ride, and I saw the first other 29er (besides mine, that is) in Marin. The aluminum frame didn't have decals, so as this guy rode by, I asked who made the frame (it looked very Gary Fisher weld and tubing-wise) and he said it wasn't production. Then he volunteered that he also had a non-production 2.3 tire up front. I didn't recognize the tread pattern, and at first I thought it looked more Ritchey-esque than Nanoraptor, but he said it was a WTB, which is logical since their headquarters are only half a mile from where we were. When I asked him when it'd be available to the public, he said probably 3 months. He had to run, so that was the extent of the conversation. It looked pretty good, a little fatter, taller, and higher volume overall than my 2.1 Nano, so it should turn out to be the real deal we're all waiting for. Good news!

Yes the tire is slated for production. In steel only because of the problems WTB has had with kevlar beads rolling off the rim.

The frame was designed by Mark Slate and 4 were made as mock ups.

VTW

Jan 2004
    Just a note on the bike and possible rider - it could well have been the guy who is testing the new Al Voodoo Aizan proto - check the Voodoo site for details.

Sam