2 29 or not 2 29 that is the question???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

2 29 or not 2 29 that is the question???

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times here, but here goes:

I have tried virtually every 26" wheel bike made. I am a little board with biking right now and am looking for something to rekindle my interest. I have always had a problem with the front end of the bike feeling too far down in comparison to the seat height. Fighting the front of the bike or worrying about going over the bars has always been a stuggle for me. I'm not extremely tall (6'0") but have a fairly long inseam measurement for my height (34.6") and long arms to match. The one bike I owned that did feel good was custom built. I have ridden a few Gary Fisher 29ers around in the parking lot, but never on the trail. They did feel heavier and slower to accelerate. I'm wondering if this will be exagerated on the trail or if there is just a "learning curve". The "Large" size was easier to turn the cranks over on than the medium one. I live on the east coast and local trail are pretty tight. I enjoy fast downhills and technical riding. Is the 29 too big for the technical trails? I've never tried a single speed either, but may consider that as well. I tend to like higher end stuff with the lowest weight possible without compromising the ride mostly and duribility too much. I weigh 200 lbs.

My short list of possible 29ers is: (not in any particular order)

Gary Fisher 292
    Gary Fisher Rig
    Speedgoat Asylum
    Wily 29er geared or possibly S.S. - Talked to Brad and he seems really great.
    Seven Verve 29er

Forks:

White Bros.
    Reba

I have a set of Speed City wheels and have been advised about 50/50 that they are strong enough and not.

Advise and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Go with a Fisher or a Wily off the bat.

No use dropping $3k on a custom seven yet.

I got a custom Vulture 29er SS off the bat and have loved it ever since. It's been a year.
    www.vulturecycles.com

Are you interested in gears or suspension?
    There are more options...
    www.lenzsport.com look for the Leviathan

Titus also makes a sweet 29er.

The Fisher makes great rigs equipped nicely for not that much.

Where do you live? Switchback Cyclery here in SoCal has an X-Cal in your size equipped nicely for about $1k w/ a Reba up front.

Recovering couch patato
    If you're ando man (so am I), you want a 29"re because it won't endo as easily, even with the same front center. That said, a long front centre (Fisher wins in hardtail land) helps the bike keep the front wheel in front of your COG. I ride XL Fisher, and it's near impossible to endo. I managed once, but that was looking over my shoulder at speed, in a turn, through 5" deep sand, so...
    Try to get a trail ride on that Large Fisher, it's one darn stable ride, really confidence inspiring.
    Didn't you hear, it's absolutely forbidden to ride 29"ers for only parking lot testrides! And you did it twice!

The Large was probably easier to turn the cranks because of the gear the bike was in, or the position of the seat relative to the BB. Too low a seat will padel harder, as well a seat that sits more forward. Incidentally, I think the M has a steeper seattube angle than the L. Made for shorter legs that spin easier.

Fishers aren't blessed with the lightest imaginable parts spec, but the value and performance is very good. Frames are light and extremely allround. when they first hit the demo days, riders were selling their 26" Sugars for them, and winning races for the first time.

I even read a review in the review section once, the guy wrecked his personal FS ride at an event, sucked up to the Fisher guys at the demo truck, and ended up getting to try a SuperCal in the local race he had travelled to take part in. No time to pre-ride the bike, but he won the race, his first win ever, and put down an order for his own copy right at the finish line.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, I like the Wily. I've heard the 29ers need less travel. Wondering if a hardtail would do the trick and might offset the weight issue a little or if the FS would make it all the more sweet. On a regular bike I tend to be able to go faster on an FS rig but usually keep hardtails longer. I have all of the parts that I need to bulid a bike except for the frame and fork if I go with the Speed City wheels. The Wily frame is $900.00, Asylum is $1650.00 and the Seven would be about $1800.00. I would conider the Seven more if I knew this would be the end all. Conversly, I hate to buy a less expensive Fisher ($2500.00 complete)only to find out later that I wished I had spent the initial $$ on a nicer set up. As far as quality goes the Wily looks like it is on par with a Seven or IF at a killer price.

Thanks

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

verve

I'm 6' and have a Verve with a WB .08 and love it. Customized compliance and flickability is not to be underrated. AND it is a thing of beauty. So, if you are like me and have a tiny bit more money than good sense, I think you would be happy with it. Since you already have the other parts, you wouldn't have to hit the 4 grand it would take to build it. I don't see how you could do it for 3 anyway. Unless you snagged everything on ebay or swapped stuff. And with the hardtail, it will never wear out and you get the 29er compliance through the wheels and tires. I am sending this because I sense that you really want the Verve and just need a little encouragement.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by kbell
    I would conider the Seven more if I knew this would be the end all. Conversly, I hate to buy a less expensive Fisher ($2500.00 complete)only to find out later that I wished I had spent the initial $$ on a nicer set up.
    Thanks
    In that case, and for what it's worth, I'll never be buying another 26" wheeled bike again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, I have very little money or sense (a dangerous combo.) I had a Verve 26er and had to sell it due to circumstances. It was probably the best bike I had ever owned. I was a little sceptical that company more famous for their road bikes would be able to build a Mt. Bike to my needs, but they were spot on. Basically it would run me $150.00 more than the Asylum. No suspension though. I almost got my 1st Verve with the 29ers, but the shop owner and several others advised against it. I like the idea of suspension, but not of extra weight. At some point I'll probably end up with another Verve. Whether it will be a 29er or not, I'm not certain. Either I'll go the cheaper "try it out" route or I'll just roll the dice and go "all out" (that's the "little sense" coming out). Do you know if the Speed Citys would hold up to single track or should I spring for wheels also?

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Yeah, I have very little money or sense (a dangerous combo.) I had a Verve 26er and had to sell it due to circumstances. It was probably the best bike I had ever owned. I was a little sceptical that company more famous for their road bikes would be able to build a Mt. Bike to my needs, but they were spot on. Basically it would run me $150.00 more than the Asylum. No suspension though. I almost got my 1st Verve with the 29ers, but the shop owner and several others advised against it. I like the idea of suspension, but not of extra weight. At some point I'll probably end up with another Verve. Whether it will be a 29er or not, I'm not certain. Either I'll go the cheaper "try it out" route or I'll just roll the dice and go "all out" (that's the "little sense" coming out). Do you know if the Speed Citys would hold up to single track or should I spring for wheels also?
    Just know, that in my 14 months riding a 29er, I have not encountered one drawback to the design....only awesome plus's.
    I can only imagine. If Seven's frame's are awesome on 26" wheels, I shiver at the thought of having one for a 29er....in a good way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    In that case, and for what it's worth, I'll never be buying another 26" wheeled bike again.
    I hear this kind of talk a lot from 29er riders and S.S.ers alike. Both groups seem to have a lot genuine passion that I don't sense anywhere else. I'm not sure I have enough "game" or knees for the S.S., but the 29er thing, from what I understand, corrects a lot of the issues that I have always had with bikes. The advise I'm getting here is helping tons!!!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I hear this kind of talk a lot from 29er riders and S.S.ers alike. Both groups seem to have a lot genuine passion that I don't sense anywhere else. I'm not sure I have enough "game" or knees for the S.S., but the 29er thing, from what I understand, corrects a lot of the issues that I have always had with bikes. The advise I'm getting here is helping tons!!!
    Cool, make sure you spend some time reading the FAQ thread...