1x9 Setup Advantages- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

1x9 Setup Advantages

I'm on 1x9, done by removing front gear and taking off big ring and granny ring from a XT crankset. I have a device to keep the chain in place, and I replaced the rear derailleur with a short cage version when it brok recently, but otherwise it was a simple move over.

Is there any other kit that would improve my 1x9, specific cranks etc ?

pedal pusher
    No, sounds like you pretty much have it right.

Personally, I like to use a bashguard to protect the remaining chainring and keep the chain from falling off on the crank side, but that's up to you.

Squishy Fishy
    Nov 2008
    I used two salsa ringdingers on either side of the xt ring. Worked great until I kept missing my big ring, so I ended up back to where I started. Without the granny, though.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cagey76
    I'm on 1x9, done by removing front gear and taking off big ring and granny ring from a XT crankset. I have a device to keep the chain in place, and I replaced the rear derailleur with a short cage version when it brok recently, but otherwise it was a simple move over.

Is there any other kit that would improve my 1x9, specific cranks etc ?
    I run 1x9 with a short cage XT and it works very well. I'm wondering if a non-ramped SS ring would make the set-up a bit quieter?

If you're already using a BG and jumpstop, does an SS ring offer any benefits? I'm thinking it will make my chain track perfectly onto the ring and eliminate any noise of the chain riding onto the ramped teeth

Designated Bleeder

Non ramped ring

I run a 1x9 setup on my Niner EMD and had a lot of trouble with the chain dropping until I got a single speed specific non-ramped chainring. If your chainline is not quite right with a ramped ring, the chain will fall off periodically. If you don't mind that, its no big deal but my chain always seemed to fall off at the most inopportune times.

I run a single speed ring up front (a Blackspire) with a bash guard and a jump stop on the inside. I have never had my chain fall off with the setup, regardless of the length derailleur I have used. Honestly, I probably don't even need the bash guard but I prefer not to lose teeth on my chainring.

Good luck. 1x9 is the way to go on a 29er. A little easier to climb than a singlespeed but without the hassle of a lousy front derailleur...

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Non Ramped chain ring
    Bash guard
    jump stop
    short cage RD
    shorten your chain

as others have mentioned...

I would also consider going to a 34T up front instead of 32T.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I run a 1x9 setup on my Niner EMD and had a lot of trouble with the chain dropping until I got a single speed specific non-ramped chainring. .
    Huh, I also have an EMD and have never dropped a chain using the Ngear jumpstop. I would actually like to drop the bashguard and just use a non-ramped ring for a much cleaner look..I don't know how that will play out though

mtbr member
    the number of teeth on the chainring is largely dependant on the type/location of the riding you do. I normally run a 32T but for the SM100 this weekend I will be using a 30T because I want to make sure I have the gearing for late in the day, not just when my legs are fresh.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

mtbr member
    I run a 32t front ring,11-34 cog, med cage xo rd, jump stop to keep the chain on and bash guard for rolling over logs. My chain never comes off & there are zero shifting issues..1x9 pretty much covers everything from flats to super steep hills with low maintainence, low weight less bar clutter. Would never go back to 3x9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i am running a 1 X 6 with 11-32 rear cogset and a 32T Salsa single speed chainring, and a medium cage sram x9. the chain has never come off the front ring, and so i haven't bothered to buy an n-gear jumpspot...it ain't needed.

i have the chain length at big/big+2 links, and have a healthy amount of b-tension but nothing excessive.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    You can also grind the teeth of an old big ring and have a ghetto bashguard. it actually tuns out pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking
    1x9 pretty much covers everything from flats to super steep hills with low maintainence, low weight less bar clutter. Would never go back to 3x9.
    Amen! I've had no issues climbing the stuff around Tahoe like I was afraid of.

Running XTR med rear, 11-34 cassette, using 32T Blackspire chainring. Held in place with MRP 1.X.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is it possible to use a short cage road (ultegra for example) with a 11-32 cassette?
    I live in the Netherlands and it's completely flat here so I might also try a 12-27 cassette, but I would like the wider range in combination with the a very short cage!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am thinking about going to a 1x9 setup but have a few questions I hope someone can answer.
    First, I have a Paragon that comes with a 11-34 cassette and a 32T chainring that I would use. Can I run a shortcage derailluer? My shop has an X-0 in stock and would like to get it.
    Next, anyone run the X-0 gripshifters? I have X-9 triggers now but would like to try it. What are you opinions on it?
    29" Trail Assault.

mtbr member
    i run an X-0 short cage RD and it works great. Can't weigh in on the shifters though....i use the X-9 triggers.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Having a nice day!
    BTW, the MRP 1.x works great for a 1x9.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar
    BTW, the MRP 1.x works great for a 1x9.
    It does indeed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cagey76
    I'm on 1x9, .... is there any other kit that would improve my 1x9, specific cranks etc ?
    I run a Stylo 1.1 crank w/ x-9 med cage RD. No problems here in TN. I am able to climb almost anything I want. Still keep a 26" 3x9 for other riding though, but the 29er is becoming my favorite bike. Have fun and ride often.
    GapRider MTB
    aka Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use a DMR version, chain has never come off !

http://www.dmrbikes.com/Section=prod...s&itemid=CDCC2

cheers for the responses.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    An Ultegra short cage is exactly what I've got my wife running on her Bandersnatch 1x9, and it works fine.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by partyboj
    Is it possible to use a short cage road (ultegra for example) with a 11-32 cassette?
    I live in the Netherlands and it's completely flat here so I might also try a 12-27 cassette, but I would like the wider range in combination with the a very short cage!
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    For the 2x9 or 1x9 are there lightweight bolts for it or do you guys use hardware store found bolts and washers?

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by newking
    My chain never comes off & there are zero shifting issues..1x9 pretty much covers everything from flats to super steep hills with low maintainence, low weight less bar clutter. Would never go back to 3x9.
    After two rides on my new 1x9 29er, I'm climbing everything I climbed on my 3x9 26er, and more. It's like riding SS, momentum is your friend.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just bought new crank bolts at my local cycle shop for $8. They come in different sizes.

banned
    if you think 1X9 is cool, try 1X1.;>)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bjwam
    I just bought new crank bolts at my local cycle shop for $8. They come in different sizes.
    Ask for BMX bolts.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    anyone ever try 3x9?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bt
    anyone ever try 3x9?
    lol. I'm going to say yes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    cruso, when my 2010 bandersnatch arrives, my current niner frame is going to become the start of my first 1x1 project, should be a laugh.

Mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    I run 1x9 with a short cage XT and it works very well. I'm wondering if a non-ramped SS ring would make the set-up a bit quieter?

If you're already using a BG and jumpstop, does an SS ring offer any benefits? I'm thinking it will make my chain track perfectly onto the ring and eliminate any noise of the chain riding onto the ramped teeth
    Non ramped ring IMO is not quieter but it holds the chain MUCH better. On my 1x9 setup I don't even need a bashguard with the non ramped, whereas I used to with a ramped ring.
    2008 Rig

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    After two rides on my new 1x9 29er, I'm climbing everything I climbed on my 3x9 26er, and more. It's like riding SS, momentum is your friend.
    I knew you'd come around eventually. Congrats on the new 29er.

mtbr member

My only complaint...

I have been singing the praises of 1x9 for a year and a half, commonly telling people it has had zero cons for me. Recently, tho, I realized a potential drawback: rear tires! I have found it absolutely necessary to get the grippiest (read: heaviest) rear tires I can and to replace them as soon as the tread begins to loose it's bite. There are steep hills around here (Folsom/Auburn) that I can clean fine with the 1x9 gear, but once the rear tire begins to fade, no amount of finesse can keep it from slipping when you're torquing an 11:34. A recent trip to Tahoe highlighted this fact. Put on a new AM tire and it's like I've got an extra gear. So, the minimal weight you're saving in the drive train is going into meatier tires, and you're spending more on them (wear the tread quicker, can't wear it down as short before replacing, and have to buy more expensive replacements).

I still haven't used a front derailleur I liked, though, so I will be sticking with this setup. I hate having to think about shifting, but harder=button1, easier=button2 is instinctual. "Should I go 5 down in the back or 2 forward and 1 up in the front?" is not.

Plus, rotational weight can be your friend, as any SSer will tell you, 'cause it preserves momentum. And bigger rear tires take even more sting out of my HT, along with the steel frame and wagon wheels.
    Rollin' rocks will never die...

Members who have read this thread: 0