1x9 to 2x9 advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

1x9 to 2x9 advice

I'm currently running 1x9 with a 32t up front and an 11-34 in the rear. It works great on short climbs but riding places like Black Mountain in Pisgah I really need a granny gear. Call me a wimp, but i just can't climb to 4200 ft. with 9 gears!

Anyway, I was thinking of running this
    up front 24-36. Does anybody run this crank? I figure on a 29er there is no need to go with a triple, a 44t would be useless to me. I think 24t should be plenty of low range for me especially since I'm used to 1x9.

Also, does it matter what front derailleur I run with it?

Thoughts? Opinions?

mtbr member
    i was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago. i was running a 32 up front and an 11/34 in back. once i moved to northern california, i needed to use a granny gear. i went with the shimano slx 22/36 front. i eventually went back to a 32/22 set up up front. the 36 was more of an issue than the small ring. i could not climb as much with the 36 and the drop from 36 to 22 was way too much for me. once i dropped a ring in the front i had to go down a few in the back too. a 32/22 up front is perfect for me. in your case a 32/24 or 22 should be perfect.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    This are all good info. What is a smaller front ring that a 32?

mtbr member
    Have you considered a 12-36 cassette?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah I've considered a 12-36 but I just don't think that would be enough. When I ride extended climbs on my 26er I eventually need to drop into the granny gear and as I understand it, a 12-36 on a 29er would be roughly equivalent to an 11-34 on a 26er.

Plus when I'm on fire roads, extended flat sections, or long downhills I often run out of gears on the top end so I wouldn't want to lose anything there.

As much as I love the simplicity and light weight of my 1x9 setup, I really do think I need the extra gears.

Birthday Collector
    I normally run SS 33 x 20 here in NorCal, but between being off the bike for a month and getting sick, recently set up my XXIX as a 32t Front with 11-34 rear. Nice to have options. I ran a 24-36 Shimano front with the same 11-34 cassette on the rear a few years ago for the Telluride-Moab tour. Excellent range with 29" wheels. Basically a 95" gear on the top end, with the 20" gear on the bottom end. Only used the low gear a couple of times, and the same with the top end. Spacing between the gears was pretty good and I would use it again to tour with. After a few weeks of some training miles, I plan on going back to SS as soon as my body will let me!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    i was in the same boat as you about 6 months ago. i was running a 32 up front and an 11/34 in back. once i moved to northern california, i needed to use a granny gear. i went with the shimano slx 22/36 front. i eventually went back to a 32/22 set up up front. the 36 was more of an issue than the small ring. i could not climb as much with the 36 and the drop from 36 to 22 was way too much for me. once i dropped a ring in the front i had to go down a few in the back too. a 32/22 up front is perfect for me. in your case a 32/24 or 22 should be perfect.

I went with the slx as well, only im running it 26/36 with an 11/32 cassette. I could use just a tad lower gearing so i'm going to throw a 11/34 cassette on in the spring. Personally it gives just the gearing i need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been running a 26/38 combo on my Mach429 for months now without problems. The chainline is much better and eliminates the seldom used gear ratios. Lost 70g in the process for you WW ou there.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...hp?f=1&t=53945

No longer 26
    Pick your required granny ring...22, 24, 26 and then add 12 for the "big" ring. I am running 22/36 right now but I think I liked the 24/36 jump better. I might change to a 22/34 for this season.
    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0