1st 29er SS recommendation - low budget- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

1st 29er SS recommendation - low budget

Looking to buy my first 29er as a 2nd bike for the local XC trails (1st bike being a 6" 26'er). I wanted to try a SS and keep it cheap. The 4 bikes below seem to fit the bill.

SE Stout 29er - $275
    GT Peace 9r - $400
    Monocog 29er - $400
    Raleigh XXIX - <$500-$600

I believe they all way 27-29lbs and have low end components. I'm not looking to upgrade components until they break. Anyone have experience with these 4 bikes to make a good recommendation to buy or stay away from?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    All are good starter 29ers. I started on a craiglist monocog and never went back to 26" from there. Sold it back to craigs for about the same price I paid when I upgraded to a better/lighter frame.

I'd get the Stout and give you $100 to play with tire combo for your trails or even trade in that alum handlebars for some carbons and ODI grips to help dampen the rigid ride. Rigid isn't bad except for braking bump IMO. But braking bumps suck with a suspension fork too.

mtbr member
    GF Marlin is $600, I just picked one up at the LBS for $479. Comes with a 100mm Suntour fork and good components for the price. Also has an aluminum frame, so it will tend to be a bit lighter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Haro Mary SS is another choice...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I got the Monocog six months ago and haven't looked back. Really great ride. The 26" FS is now the forgotten child. Poor thing. I want to ride the Cog everyday!
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

REALLY?
    I have a GT Peace 9r, its my first 29r...so far I love it, at least as much as a 26r if not more (yes, I've been sudduced by the dark side). Anyway, the parts are entry level, but should hold up fine to normal wear and tear for most folks. Check it out...its a really cool bike.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Stout is a great deal. Use the extra money to get a fat front tire to run at low PSI, and any cockpit upgrades you like.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I would buy the Monocog (new or used).

I owned one and loved it. The only thing that needed attention was the headset and that was solved with a $ 35 replacement. You can find a set of disc brakes via your local forum or craigslist if you decide you want to upgrade later as the wheels are disc compatible.

They're great bikes with better than average resale value.

mtbr member
    Gt Peace...

mtbr member
    What size are you looking for? I have a "like new" medium GT Peace 9r sitting in my garage that is needing to be sold. It is not mine but belongs to a friend. He is asking $350 for it. I'm sure he would ask you to cover shipping as well. Very good riding bike! I would buy it myself if I didn't already have a good SS.

Apr 2007
    Flat Ark's GT seems like a good deal. If shipping isn't too bad, I'd jump on that. IIRC, shipping is around $50?

My personal experience is with a monocog. Can't say enough about the bike. Sold it at the end of last season (It was sitting in the garage collecting dust, because I built up another 29 SS). But I really wish I hadn't sold it. In fact, if another pops up on CL, I'm snatching it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    GF Marlin is $600, I just picked one up at the LBS for $479. Comes with a 100mm Suntour fork and good components for the price. Also has an aluminum frame, so it will tend to be a bit lighter.
    +1 for the Marlin

mtbr member
    I got hooked by a Raleigh XXIX. I have since bought a better bike but I loved the Raleigh and it was worth upgrading

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I actually enjoyed my Motobecane Outcast 29'er. Not bad for 3 1/2 bills.

Way
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I really like my Monocog. I also have the Peace 9r but I prefer the handling/geometry of the Monocog - I find it easier to lift the front wheel over stuff than the GT. I think it's one of the bikes that I would never sell.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    FWIW I regret ever selling my Monocog.

The GT seems like a good buy

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Love my Monocog. Got it last March and have not ridden my 26 FS since.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up ordering the GT last night for $399 + $13 shipping from Nashbar. After comparing the specs again it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up!

Apr 2007
    Nashbar currently has a 10% off coupon code. SINGLE10

You should see if you can cancel and reorder.

mtbr member
    Thanks p_nut! I just called and got the $40 off! New 2010 GT Peace9r for $360!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0