18" Inbred 29r with Reba, anyone running this?- Mtbr.com
    Gold Member

New question here. 18" Inbred 29r with Reba, anyone running this?

(I searched first & only 1 post came up and not what I wanted.)

I am still waiting for my fork cap to come in to replace the "pop-lock" on the Reba, so I am currently running fully rigid.

I was wondering if anyone has photos of a Reba on their Inbred and if they removed the pop-lock?
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I have a Reba Race on my 18" Inbred.

I'll snap a picture in this weekend for ya. My Reba has the PopLoc Adjust. I had to use the Cane Creek S3 Plus5 headseat to get the Floodgate knob to clear the downtube.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by F5000sl
    (I searched first & only 1 post came up and not what I wanted.)

I am still waiting for my fork cap to come in to replace the "pop-lock" on the Reba, so I am currently running fully rigid.

I was wondering if anyone has photos of a Reba on their Inbred and if they removed the pop-lock?
    Were you looking to see if it clears? Mine's an 18" frame with the Reba SL.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by holycromoly
    I have a Reba Race on my 18" Inbred.

I'll snap a picture in this weekend for ya. My Reba has the PopLoc Adjust. I had to use the Cane Creek S3 Plus5 headseat to get the Floodgate knob to clear the downtube.
    I cut a slot in a 2mm headset spacer and slid that over the steerer tube before I put the crown race on. It's fine on an 18in.

Gold Member
    Thanks guys & Good deal Brant. Now I am just waiting for the forks Compression cap to come in.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I cut a slot in a 2mm headset spacer and slid that over the steerer tube before I put the crown race on. It's fine on an 18in.
    Is that safe? On-one hand (no pun intended) it sounds like a simple solution to the reba problem, but on another it seems like there'd be headset adjustment issues.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Here are some pics.

Inbred 18" with Cane Creek S3 Plus5 headset. As you can see, the Floodgate knob clears.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Shot of the whole bike.

Transplant
    An Inbred with a derailleur

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ekoostick
    An Inbred with a derailleur
    "eek" will be the sounds of your creaky knees when you're 60 years old after a life of single speeding.

Yes, it's a rare species, but the derailluer Inbred does exist in some dark wooded forest out there.

Transplant
    "eek" will be the sounds of your creaky knees when you're 60 years old after a life of single speeding.

Yes, it's a rare species, but the derailluer Inbred does exist in some dark wooded forest out there.
    Heh, I was joking. That is actually one of the best Inbreds I have seen yet. I want to get a full rigid SS 29er but I do like observing others with suspension and gears. Its cool to see so many variations of the same bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I know you were joking Just thought I throw in my own joke

I think the Inbred are the new Monkeys. Both bikes are fun to build up every which way. I like looking at Inbred and Monkeys. They're kinda like basic hotrod kits that's left up to the rider's imagination.

I think that now that Brandt will be offering more sizes, the Inbred will be an even more common sight here.

Transplant
    I know you were joking Just thought I throw in my own joke

I think the Inbred are the new Monkeys. Both bikes are fun to build up every which way. I like looking at Inbred and Monkeys. They're kinda like basic hotrod kits that's left up to the rider's imagination.

I think that now that Brandt will be offering more sizes, the Inbred will be an even more common sight here.
    Yepa Yepa. I haven't seen the new 19.5 Geometry but I imagine I am somewhere between an 18" and a 19.5". When I get it, I think it would be cool to have a fully rigid fork as well as a SUC32. That way I can throw 2.35 Nevegals on and fly around on the rocks and wet trails.

Gold Member
    Very cool, thanks for the pic.
    I will see what I can do to keep my pop-lock now.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    If you run a CK headset just get a +4 or +7 crown race from Ventana. Cheaper than replacing the poploc and I'd think safer than using spacers below the crown race.

Don't listen to the ninnies that gripe about changes in geo - you're talking about +4-7mm on a baseline A-C of 470mm+, a <1.5% increase in A-C.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I agree, the slight addition in height is not noticeable in real riding.

Gold Member
    I spoke with RS yesterday and they told me that only removing the ext. floodgate would create enough clearance unless I go the way of a spaced out headset.
    So I went and bought a CaneCreek +5 and I look forward to being able to use the RS if I want too.
    CyclingCentralVa.org
    Shop Hand
    On-One Lurcher
    S-Works DEMO
    Crux
    BMC SLR01
    LOOK675

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When the Plus5 headset arrives and you see the bottom cup for the first time, it's gonna look huge. But once you install it on the bike, it hardly noticeable (as you can see in my bike shot).

It's a nice headset. Nice workmanship like most of the Cane Creek products. Nice small details in including the tongue & groove interlocking headset spacers.

It's nice to see a company react to quickly to small niche issue. I am glad to keep my Poploc.

Members who have read this thread: 0