142x12 Hardtail Frame Options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

142x12 Hardtail Frame Options

I have a set of spank oozy 350 wheels in 142x12, Eagle GX drivetrain, Pike fork, and a few leftover parts that I'd like to use to build up a fun geared hardtail. Currently have this setup on my Nimble 9, but I've been missing that bike in it's SS form. A rigid carbon fork and i9/Atomik wheelset would go back on the N9.

Wanting to spend $750 or less, and my first thought was SC Chameleon. Go to the bike shop and am told that they no longer make 142 geared dropouts for the Chameleon.

Geo numbers I'm looking for
    HA: 66-67 w/ 120-140 fork
    CS: 420ish
    STA: 74ish (no extended climbs in florida, so no need for stee sta)
    ST Length: 460 or less. this is very important because I have short legs
    Reach: 450-460

Not too worried about material or weight. Fun factor is all I really want. Love my N9, but miss it in SS. Stanton makes beautiful bikes with swappable dropouts, but shipping to US blows the budget on this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Get a chromag rootdown or primer, I知 loving this frame so far...though I知 running a bit more travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cachaulo View Post
    Get a chromag rootdown or primer, I知 loving this frame so far...though I知 running a bit more travel

Lovely frames, but they are boost 148

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looked at Surly? I have no idea on the measurements but the rear end can be run 142 or 148. Krampus or such might fit the bill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorXman View Post
    Lovely frames, but they are boost 148
    Sorry, past models are 142...at your price you could certainly find a used one.
    https://chromagbikes.com/bikes/past-models/rootdown

mtbr member
    Salsa timberjack... 142 compatible with the right dropout plates, singlespeed ready

Also some Surlys
    My name is George. I知 unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

KVV
    mtbr member
    May 2017
    Pole Taival maybe? I've heard they started to ship.

mtbr member
    Buy some adaptors and take your pick from more modern frames?

mtbr member
    Yeah, boost adapters work fine from what I hear. Some people glue or shrink-wrap the adapters to the axle to avoid dropping and losing them.

A medium Honzo might do it. The Surly Karate Monkey has a much shorter reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    Salsa timberjack... 142 compatible with the right dropout plates, singlespeed ready

Also some Surlys
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Looked at Surly? I have no idea on the measurements but the rear end can be run 142 or 148. Krampus or such might fit the bill.
    Timberjack is too steep. Love the Karate Monkey, but M is too short on reach, L is too long on seat tube. I have a +2" Ape index with shorter inseam. The one thing I hate about my L N9 is that I can only fit a 75mm dropper on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Buy some adaptors and take your pick from more modern frames?
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Yeah, boost adapters work fine from what I hear. Some people glue or shrink-wrap the adapters to the axle to avoid dropping and losing them.

A medium Honzo might do it. The Surly Karate Monkey has a much shorter reach.
    Have people had success running adapted on short CS bikes? This would be ideal if a chain line issue isn't created. Medium Honzo has EXACTLY what I am looking for...

mtbr member
    I don't see what adapters have to do with the short chainstays. For the chainline, you might need to move your chainring around a bit to center it, depending on the rest of the setup.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I don't see what adapters have to do with the short chainstays. For the chainline, you might need to move your chainring around a bit to center it, depending on the rest of the setup.
    If you a get a single 6mm spacer, you have to redish wheelset. If you get two 3mm spacers, your chainline moves 3mm. I prefer not having to redish, and as I understand short chainstays magnify chainline issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Eskar Hayduke can be had in 142.